ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Ground hog trapping. #5179614
08/31/15 07:53 PM
08/31/15 07:53 PM
Woodhull, Illinois 77
J
Jim Bethell Offline OP
trapper
Jim Bethell  Offline OP
trapper
J

Woodhull, Illinois 77
Last part of July, Got a call about a ground hog digging under air conditioner pad. Set 2 traps, one posi. set and one out side baited. after 3 days caught one coon. After 3 more days, picked up the traps. On the 4th of August, got a call. The ground hog was back. Set the post set again. Today, Aug. 31, The ground hog finely came back. 27 days before he came back. New record for me.

Re: Ground hog trapping. [Re: Jim Bethell] #5180799
09/01/15 07:47 PM
09/01/15 07:47 PM
Chocowinity, NC
Phil Nichols Offline
trapper
Phil Nichols  Offline
trapper

Chocowinity, NC
Hahaha - have it on good word the one you caught was a squatter eek

Re: Ground hog trapping. [Re: Jim Bethell] #5187539
09/07/15 02:37 PM
09/07/15 02:37 PM
New York
Jim Comstock Offline
trapper
Jim Comstock  Offline
trapper

New York
Patience pays off for chucks, often worth the wait. That is a long stretch though, 27 days. Seems like chucks sometimes return for little more than hours, then will disappear again. Sounds like when your people saw the chuck on the 4th, it had left again before you got it set. When a client says he just saw a chuck digging out a den after a long vacancy, I try to get there ASAP to catch him same day or next day, run them down the hole, but its not always possible. If you can move quickly, it is worth the effort.

Re: Ground hog trapping. [Re: Jim Comstock] #5188337
09/08/15 01:19 AM
09/08/15 01:19 AM
Frankfort, Ky. USA
T
trapperpaw Offline
trapper
trapperpaw  Offline
trapper
T

Frankfort, Ky. USA
I call those holes jump in holes. Usually a single hole dug for the purpose of when he gets to far from the den he wants a place to jump in if the need arises. He may come back regularly if a food source is nearby but if not he may be weeks or longer. I really like a posi set double door of your chosen brand for these hogs with the trap check done by the person with the problem.
This is what I like about traps they set there patiently doing there jobs waiting for mr. hog or whomever comes to the hole.
Which the client has to realize that all animals using the hole are targets because skunks and opossums really like these holes.
I warn people if we try to make this happen fast we will end up like Bill Murray in Caddy Shack and we know who won that battle. Get a Coke, a baby ruth and relax we'll get him.

Sleep'n with an animal..I can help.
Do not use both feet when testing the depth or temperature of the water
Your Friend,
Paul Brooker
Re: Ground hog trapping. [Re: Jim Bethell] #5189629
09/09/15 08:35 AM
09/09/15 08:35 AM
New York
Jim Comstock Offline
trapper
Jim Comstock  Offline
trapper

New York
Those jump holes are tough to count on for a quick catch. Hit or miss. They do pay off well when you are lucky enough to chase a chuck into them. Just set it and wait a few minutes as they reappear quickly.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread