ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Beaver, "touch and go" #5206359
09/24/15 09:04 AM
09/24/15 09:04 AM
New York
Jim Comstock Offline OP
trapper
Jim Comstock  Offline OP
trapper

New York
Besides clients who sometimes mistake debris in a culvert for a beaver dam, ending up in an unnecessary trip, "you get touch and goes." I used to believe if there was a dam, there was always a beaver. Small yearling / two year old beaver will travel and make small dams on small streams, stay a few days to a week, then leave and do it somewhere again until they find a mate. In the past I would set a bunch of traps, run them for a couple of days at least, get nothing. When you find one of these "leaky" "stale" but fresh dams that were made a week earlier you can keep moving. Don't bother setting them. The client wasn't wrong, just a day late. Got lucky a couple of years ago. Highway guys called the first day they saw cuttings, fresh, still active. The beaver was under the entrance ramp to the interstate where there were three trees, two cut. I was about a mile from the location, swung in, set one trap and popped him. Know he would have been gone or road pizza in a matter of hours.

Re: Beaver, "touch and go" [Re: Jim Comstock] #5206536
09/24/15 12:15 PM
09/24/15 12:15 PM
Northern Illinois
M
MChewk Offline
trapper
MChewk  Offline
trapper
M

Northern Illinois
Thanks Jim more good info....been there for those "ghost beaver"....some of my clients call right away in a panic until I mention set up fees and charges. Other veteran farmers usually wait a few days and check it out looking for more fresh indicators....then call.
Phones been ringing recently as our beans and corn are looking brown....farmers are checking things out.

Re: Beaver, "touch and go" [Re: Jim Comstock] #5206796
09/24/15 06:04 PM
09/24/15 06:04 PM
New York
Jim Comstock Offline OP
trapper
Jim Comstock  Offline OP
trapper

New York
Interesting to watch beaver when they first move in. If you arrive after just a few days after the beaver arrive there will be a dam in place, partial anyway, no lodge, no bank den either. They will spend the night on the bank. There will be a matted down area or areas where they have been nesting on top of the ground, packed down. Won't be that way for long. When the beaver move in where there are a lot of people, houses etc., the call comes quickly, before the beaver are established. I've seen a lot of "nests" over the years and also caught them napping on the bank, once in back of a garage in neighborhood. Ran them into some conibears.

Re: Beaver, "touch and go" [Re: Jim Comstock] #5206880
09/24/15 07:24 PM
09/24/15 07:24 PM
Arkansas
Jason Turner Offline
trapper
Jason Turner  Offline
trapper

Arkansas
Jim, re: your original post...Next time I go to a pizza joint and the waitress asks me what toppings I want on my pizza, I'll have an intersting answer!

Wildlife Removal, Etc.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread