ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Excluding Woodchucks #5550771
06/12/16 10:19 PM
06/12/16 10:19 PM
NY
K
KellieG Offline OP
trapper
KellieG  Offline OP
trapper
K

NY
Got a question on excluding woodchucks that keep digging multiple holes parallel to a concrete foundation up to 3' away from the structure. They are not going under the structure just digging along side it. Other than laying cage wire flat 3"-4" below the surface to cover the entire area are there any other options people have used and had success? There's a heavy population of woodchucks in the area so the client is going to have continued problems.

Re: Excluding Woodchucks [Re: KellieG] #5551295
06/13/16 02:09 PM
06/13/16 02:09 PM
Schenectady, NY
E
EatenByLimestone Offline
trapper
EatenByLimestone  Offline
trapper
E

Schenectady, NY
Are you sure it's a woodchuck?

Re: Excluding Woodchucks [Re: KellieG] #5551372
06/13/16 03:44 PM
06/13/16 03:44 PM
NY
K
KellieG Offline OP
trapper
KellieG  Offline OP
trapper
K

NY
Yup. I've been catching them and there is a very large population in the area. The clients have been seeing them going in and out of the holes too.

Re: Excluding Woodchucks [Re: KellieG] #5551427
06/13/16 04:49 PM
06/13/16 04:49 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
There's a heavy population of woodchucks in the area so the client is going to have continued problems.

I guess your coyote and fox population isn't very good in those parts. smile

Our groundhogs aren't as plentiful as they used to be over the years as a result of the coyote numbers increasing. That is one of their preferred foods besides fawns in these parts.

Re: Excluding Woodchucks [Re: Bob Jameson] #5551693
06/13/16 09:19 PM
06/13/16 09:19 PM
NY
K
KellieG Offline OP
trapper
KellieG  Offline OP
trapper
K

NY
Thanks Bob. Your correct that the client will have continued problems due to the developement of the area and therefore lack of preditors. That's why I'm looking for different options for exclusion so I'm not waisting the clients money trapping the neighborhood out. The only option I've come up with is burying cage wire 4" down, parrallel to the ground, and extending 3-4 feet from the concrete foundation to the sidewalk. Doing the typical trench with wire bent out at a 90degree angle won't work here. They need the animals away from the building. Any other advise would be appreciated.

Re: Excluding Woodchucks [Re: KellieG] #5551911
06/14/16 05:28 AM
06/14/16 05:28 AM
Schenectady, NY
E
EatenByLimestone Offline
trapper
EatenByLimestone  Offline
trapper
E

Schenectady, NY
Lay down the wire and pour rocks onto it. Make it a landscape feature.

Re: Excluding Woodchucks [Re: KellieG] #5551930
06/14/16 06:38 AM
06/14/16 06:38 AM
Virginia
K
Kurt in Va Offline
trapper
Kurt in Va  Offline
trapper
K

Virginia
You describe what normally is field holes. How do you exclude that? Will they not move to another part of the yard? I think removing enough to stop the damage is the choice, you can put down wire in that one area but need to remove animals.
Just my 2 cents worth.

Kurt Temple

Re: Excluding Woodchucks [Re: KellieG] #5552012
06/14/16 08:53 AM
06/14/16 08:53 AM
NY
K
KellieG Offline OP
trapper
KellieG  Offline OP
trapper
K

NY
Thanks EatenByLimestone. Possibly a landscape feature that won't attract snakes (even though they are all harmless around here) rocks tend to attract snakes around here.
Yes the holes are typical field holes and the woodchucks will most likely just move somewhere else on the property but the client for now needs to have them away from their foundation. So that's what I was wondering what other NWCOs have had luck with in a scenario like this.
If I were to remove enough animals to stop the damage it wouldn't be in the clients best interest since they would be paying for removal of all their neighbors properties and beyond. The chucks would just keep filtering in. I tell people with constant wildlife conflicts that it's like mowing their lawn and they just have to keep up with it to manage their property. Heck if they want to spend the money they can put a nice fence around their property and have exclusion work done at the base of the fencing.

Re: Excluding Woodchucks [Re: KellieG] #5552151
06/14/16 11:26 AM
06/14/16 11:26 AM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
I have done barrier work for a long time. I have found in some instances that groundhogs will work their way digging to the outer edge of the barrier wire and eventually dig under the outside edges to re enter under the barrier.

I had one particular job that I learned this behavior from a few groundhogs that had several years of denning history in living at that site.

Those familiar or reared at that den were quite determined to continue to use and visit that denning site at all costs. I had several trips back over a few months to extend the barrier and continue to trap until all the site familiar offenders were eventually removed.

After that there were no more problems.

There may still be attempts made by others to make burrowing attempts near the edges, which is common but the extended outer edge dig unders stopped.

That residual occupation odor remains for some time. From feces and urine traces.

Application of some hydrated lime sprinkled around the area helps with odor disruption which seems to reduce or stop others from easily keying in on the filled in site.

Re: Excluding Woodchucks [Re: KellieG] #5552200
06/14/16 12:14 PM
06/14/16 12:14 PM
Virginia
K
Kurt in Va Offline
trapper
Kurt in Va  Offline
trapper
K

Virginia
There is a product called Digdefence at wildlife control supplies, maybe that could work for you.

Re: Excluding Woodchucks [Re: Bob Jameson] #5552260
06/14/16 01:15 PM
06/14/16 01:15 PM
NY
K
KellieG Offline OP
trapper
KellieG  Offline OP
trapper
K

NY
We were going to incorporate lime with the soil when putting the wire down. We figured we'd be working with the client for a few months to resolve the issue next to the building. Everything you're saying is what we've discussed and getting a second opinion from other NWCOs has been valuable. Thank you for you're input.

Re: Excluding Woodchucks [Re: Kurt in Va] #5552262
06/14/16 01:18 PM
06/14/16 01:18 PM
NY
K
KellieG Offline OP
trapper
KellieG  Offline OP
trapper
K

NY
Kurt,
The Dig Defence won't work for this case since they aren't digging under the foundation just beside it. Thanks for the input.

Re: Excluding Woodchucks [Re: KellieG] #5553120
06/15/16 11:06 AM
06/15/16 11:06 AM
OH
Eric Arnold Offline
trapper
Eric Arnold  Offline
trapper

OH
The other thing to keep in mind is that a solution may require multiple techniques for it to be effective. This can mean a higher upfront cost to the client, but then a better return on investment down the road.

It may also be helpful to think of this situation as a different animal/conflict. A good example I believe would be pigeons.

If you were dealing with moderate to high pressure with pigeons feeding/loafing in a building but nesting and night roosting on the neighbor's property, how would you handle it? Choices may include netting the structure or installing other types of exclusion products, but you'll have to include some sort of population reduction program to get the maximum effectiveness.

Getting back to the groundhogs, based on if you want to relocate the animals or have to use lethal control, I'd look at doing at least a 5 day trapping and/or shooting program to remove the resident 'hogs that have an affinity to the site location.Then I'd try my exclusion devices/products and/or install the exclusion wire. Also, you can see about digging out and repairing the tunnel damage or having them filled with concrete backwash to add even more security to the site. I'd also do a maintenance contract with the client so you can monitor the project area and take action quickly if necessary.

By combining multiple techniques with this situation, it will give you the best chance of having a cost effective, long-lasting solution for them.

Eric Arnold
Publishing Editor W.C.T. Magazine
Editor The Fur Taker Magazine
Re: Excluding Woodchucks [Re: KellieG] #5553333
06/15/16 02:14 PM
06/15/16 02:14 PM
massachusetts
S
swampdonkey Offline
trapper
swampdonkey  Offline
trapper
S

massachusetts
Gas those burrows with cartridges...their in there...they love to lay up against the concrete to keep cool

Joe Robidoux
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread