Fur Handling Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
Coyote gland prep? #567112
02/08/08 01:41 AM
02/08/08 01:41 AM
Flint, Michigan
bhugo Offline OP
trapper
bhugo  Offline OP
trapper

Flint, Michigan
Hi All,

I caught a few coyote this year and saved the anal glands. I was going to make a simple gland lure with them. I have a couple questions.

How long do coyote glands need to be aged? They have quite an odor fresh. Does the aging process need to be long?

Also, can they be ground fresh and then aged? Any help would be great.

Thanks,
Brian

Member MTPCA, FTA and NTA
Re: Coyote gland prep? [Re: bhugo] #567297
02/08/08 09:37 AM
02/08/08 09:37 AM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
Glands are best cleaned of most of the hair,fecal matter and extra tissue then ground prior to ageing. Its quite a mess attempting to work glands after ageing. Darn near impossible depending on what your end result is going to be in terms of type of consistency etc.

Re: Coyote gland prep? [Re: Bob Jameson] #567373
02/08/08 10:25 AM
02/08/08 10:25 AM
Flint, Michigan
bhugo Offline OP
trapper
bhugo  Offline OP
trapper

Flint, Michigan
Thanks Bob,

I was under the impression from a few books that the droppings were supposed to be left in. I am glad you said something. Do you trim out the intestine also?

Thanks,
Brian

Member MTPCA, FTA and NTA
Re: Coyote gland prep? [Re: bhugo] #567493
02/08/08 11:50 AM
02/08/08 11:50 AM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
I know that some dont remove the fecal matter. That is why some glands are so dark in color. I prefer not to use this in my formulas. It changes the odor and color of the formula.You can do as you see fit. You can tell the difference quite easily when comparing lures.I prefer to keep it as natural as possible and as true smelling as possible.This is not saying that a gland formulated with droppings doesnt work.

A few inches of attached intestine to the anal vent rim is just fine just dont get carried away with too much.The primary odor representation is in the rim vent area of that glandular part.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91