No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 15 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 14 15
Re: THE OFFICIAL LOW CARB FOODS AND MEALS THREAD!!!!! [Re: tjm] #5916177
05/31/17 06:25 PM
05/31/17 06:25 PM
Ames, IA
MikeTraps2 Offline
trapper
MikeTraps2  Offline
trapper

Ames, IA
We use cauliflower to make both "rice" and "mashed potatoes" to replace the carbs laden rive and regular potatoes. They are both very good!

For me its losing weight and fighting Type 2 Diabetes

Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure

Theodore Roosevelt
Re: THE OFFICIAL LOW CARB FOODS AND MEALS THREAD!!!!! [Re: MikeTraps2] #5916378
05/31/17 10:10 PM
05/31/17 10:10 PM
Sauk County, WI
Patrice Offline OP
"TMan Feed Gestapo "
Patrice  Offline OP
"TMan Feed Gestapo "

Sauk County, WI
Hey Madtrapper, I never had much luck with lemon pepper. but loads of lemon juice does seem to help. It does have to fit into a recipe, but it helps a whole lot better than a prepared lemon pepper for me.

Okay, Adam. I hate to say this but I think someone has been lying to you about which foods are loaded with carbs! Rice is high in carbs. Beans are high in carbs (but their fiber counters some of them) and most tortillas are high in carbs. Rice, beans and tortillas all at once add up to a ton! That chicken and lettuce would be just fine though. grin

You are so sweet , Sharon. I will get you the potato salad recipe. I promise. I was only kidding about the Kerry Gold butter because of the shipping! I'll figure it out! (I'll get back to you on the Ruby Spasmodium! laugh )

Wow, TJM! That's more than I knew about our butter laws! I'm with you on the lemon juice too - but it has to be the right recipe for it. It works great for certain things!

That's great, MikeTraps2. I hope it's working well for you! We even pre-pureed some cauliflower from the garden last year before we froze it so it was ready to use as mashed or garlic mashers. No air spaces in the freezer bags!

WTA District 9 Director ... Go D9!
Member: WTA, Intertel, Mensa (Trappers ain't stupid.)
Life Member: NRA
Re: THE OFFICIAL LOW CARB FOODS AND MEALS THREAD!!!!! [Re: Patrice] #5916677
06/01/17 09:00 AM
06/01/17 09:00 AM
New Hampshire
N
Nessmuck Offline
trapper
Nessmuck  Offline
trapper
N

New Hampshire

If you remove the spud....I might qualify....Fiddleheads !!

It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees.
Re: THE OFFICIAL LOW CARB FOODS AND MEALS THREAD!!!!! [Re: Patrice] #5916690
06/01/17 09:35 AM
06/01/17 09:35 AM
nm
A
adam m Offline
trapper
adam m  Offline
trapper
A

nm
Thanks smile the beans are higher in carbs but aren't they and the rice the "good kind"? The rice and beans equaled maybe 2 tablespoons each at the most which equals about 1/8 for rice and the beans.

Last edited by adam m; 06/01/17 09:51 AM.
Re: THE OFFICIAL LOW CARB FOODS AND MEALS THREAD!!!!! [Re: adam m] #5916769
06/01/17 11:36 AM
06/01/17 11:36 AM
American In the Pyrenees; Fran...
S
swift4me Offline
trapper
swift4me  Offline
trapper
S

American In the Pyrenees; Fran...
I had my first BLT of the summer yesterday. Not my tomatoes but it was really good. The bread was largely corn flour so I guess it wasn't zero carb, but I'll be doing it again.

Pete

Re: THE OFFICIAL LOW CARB FOODS AND MEALS THREAD!!!!! [Re: swift4me] #5917125
06/01/17 07:57 PM
06/01/17 07:57 PM
Sauk County, WI
Patrice Offline OP
"TMan Feed Gestapo "
Patrice  Offline OP
"TMan Feed Gestapo "

Sauk County, WI
Nessy! It's beautiful! I heard you found some fiddleheads. That a good enough reason to celebrate with a potato!

Adam, you just need to get a carb counter or google a food with the word "carbs" after it and get a count of the grams of carbs and the grams of fiber for that amount of food. Subtract the grams of fiber from the total grams of carbs and that will give you the net carbs for that amount of a food. Add up the net carbs for everything you make for a meal and you'll get a pretty good idea of which foods add up a little too fast. For example, 1 cup of cooked brown rice and 45 grams of total carbs and 4 grams of fiber. You subtract the 4 grams of fiber from the 45 grams of carbs and that leaves 41 grams of net carbs for a cup of rice. A lot of folks start out with a target of 30 grams of net carbs per day, at least for a few weeks at the start of a low carb diet. Even if you don't eat a cup of it, rice could pretty much wipe out your day! Same with beans and tortillas - as much as I love them anyway! It's worth it just to have some nice tortillas with rice and beans once in a while!

I am envious, Pete! We'll take a break from the low carb diet just to eat some good BLT's when we can!

Re: THE OFFICIAL LOW CARB FOODS AND MEALS THREAD!!!!! [Re: Patrice] #5917144
06/01/17 08:11 PM
06/01/17 08:11 PM
Peoria County Illinois
Larry Baer Offline
trapper
Larry Baer  Offline
trapper

Peoria County Illinois
good idea but this post is making me hungry! lost 35 pounds since Jan 1st doing just this like you are saying. Keep it up!

Hey Trapper Les! Is sow belly like jowl bacon? I got some jowl bacon not too long ago and it is crazy good. I think even an ole crotchety scudder like Hal would admit liking it.

Last edited by Larry Baer; 06/01/17 08:14 PM.

Just passin through
Re: THE OFFICIAL LOW CARB FOODS AND MEALS THREAD!!!!! [Re: Patrice] #5917243
06/01/17 09:56 PM
06/01/17 09:56 PM
NE ON
L
LeverAlone Offline
trapper
LeverAlone  Offline
trapper
L

NE ON
Im no expert on this subject, but while loading up on carbs is not a good thing if you aren't active, eating carbs is important for maintaining long term health, and can even help protect against type 2 diabetes and prevent cardiovascular problems.

There are two types of carbs; simple and complex. Simple carbs are basically sugar, which is a fast digesting carb which if un-used by your body, will be turned into fat pretty quickly. Fibre and starch on the other hand are considered complex carbs, and shouldn't be avoided all together. Complex carbs that contain fibre are slower digesting, leaving you feeling full for longer, and these complete carbs also control your post meal blood sugar spikes, which obviously helps the diabetic people.

In my opinion, carbs are an essential source of energy, and if managed properly, are very beneficial for long term health, and short term energy your body needs to operate! I rely on carbs to maintain a high metabolism by eating small meals 5-6 times per day, with more carbs an hour or two before workout, and heavy on the carbs and protein after a workout. When I worked as a forest firefighter, we had an outside agency studying our fitness and health on the job. Due to the physical exertion required on a daily basis, we were encouraged to always be sure we ate plenty of carbs to fuel our bodies needed to do the work. I could never do without carbs! I'm 6' 192lbs. Fairly lean, but I eat healthy every single day.

If you are looking to lose weight, calories are something that need to be counted as well! If you aren't in a caloric deficit, its pretty much impossible for your body to burn excess fat. Don't just eliminate carbs from your diet and hope that will work.

Re: THE OFFICIAL LOW CARB FOODS AND MEALS THREAD!!!!! [Re: Patrice] #5917258
06/01/17 10:12 PM
06/01/17 10:12 PM
nm
A
adam m Offline
trapper
adam m  Offline
trapper
A

nm
Thanks Patrice I appreciate it.

Re: THE OFFICIAL LOW CARB FOODS AND MEALS THREAD!!!!! [Re: Patrice] #5917372
06/02/17 12:28 AM
06/02/17 12:28 AM
SWMo.
T
tjm Offline
trapper
tjm  Offline
trapper
T

SWMo.
Patrice, I really know nothing about Wi. butter laws. I was just searching that grass butter that Sharron likes and up pops a headline something like "nanny state bans grass fed butter"; so curious me, I read it. The lady was a butter bootlegger/smuggler. There was a Fox News blurb too, Grade A milk and such.
It turns out Amazon may be my best source for the Kerrygold.

Re: THE OFFICIAL LOW CARB FOODS AND MEALS THREAD!!!!! [Re: Patrice] #5917489
06/02/17 08:15 AM
06/02/17 08:15 AM
NY
R
rendezvous Offline
trapper
rendezvous  Offline
trapper
R

NY
I make pizza with Joseph's Flax, Oat Bran & Whole Wheat Pita Bread(5 carbs). Sausage, onion and pepper, and pepperoni.

Here are a few other low carb meals I eat regularly...

I like HOT Chicken Wings!

[i][/i]

Last edited by rendezvous; 06/02/17 08:19 AM.

Let's go Brandon!
Re: THE OFFICIAL LOW CARB FOODS AND MEALS THREAD!!!!! [Re: rendezvous] #5919114
06/04/17 03:38 PM
06/04/17 03:38 PM
Sauk County, WI
Patrice Offline OP
"TMan Feed Gestapo "
Patrice  Offline OP
"TMan Feed Gestapo "

Sauk County, WI
Larry, that is fantastic!

LeverAlone, I think the thing you might be missing is that these folks aren't eliminating carbs, they are reducing their net carbs - after fiber is deducted from total carbs. That incorporates some complex carbohydrates and sources of fiber in foods that don't raise the net carb count too badly. By reducing net carbs, you still eat foods with carbs that are good sources of fiber. No one eliminates carbs completely when they have vegetables in their diet. I absolutely disagree with the statement about type 2 diabetes though - type 2 diabetes is brought on by overloading on carbs over a period of time. A high carb diet causes a continuously high level of insulin which causes insulin resistance. That is the root cause of type 2 diabetes and all kinds of cardiovascular problems.

The folks on here who are talking about eating 20 or 30 net grams of carbs are generally starting out on a low carb plan and increasing their level of carbs after they get their systems in shape, lose weight and get their blood pressure down, etc. If you are in the process of fighting a fire or running a marathon, you are a carb burning machine during those hours. You then need fast fuel to burn and can take on a load of sugar and burn it right away. I'm thinking that's not the case with most of us here most of the time! Most Americans could cut their carb intake way down, lose weight, be healthier and lessen the epidemic levels of type 2 diabetes here. I still trust the reports from the folks on this thread and my own experience and extensive study.

You're welcome, Adam. You're a guy who knows how to cook great stuff. Now I'm kind of counting on you to come up with some more great ideas here. grin

Tjm, I like the sound of a butter bootlegger/smuggler! I should find me one of those!

Thank you for those great photos, Rendezvous! One wonderful idea after another! Thank you! I need to look into the low carb pita bread. Now I'm hungry!

Re: THE OFFICIAL LOW CARB FOODS AND MEALS THREAD!!!!! [Re: Patrice] #5919119
06/04/17 03:46 PM
06/04/17 03:46 PM
Sauk County, WI
Patrice Offline OP
"TMan Feed Gestapo "
Patrice  Offline OP
"TMan Feed Gestapo "

Sauk County, WI
Sharon, I promised a cauliflower potato salad recipe! here it is:

Low Carb Cauliflower Potato Salad

Ingredients
1 head cauliflower, cut into bite-size pieces
4 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
2/3 cup mayonnaise
2 Tbsp diced green onions
1 stalk celery, diced
¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
1 tablespoon prepared yellow mustard
2 Tbsp lemon juice
2 tsp sugar substitute
Salt and ground black pepper to taste

Directions
1. Steam cauliflower covered until tender, about 5 minutes. Transfer steamed cauliflower to a large bowl.
2. Add all remaining ingredients to warm cauliflower and stir together gently.
3. Chill at least 30 minutes for flavors to blend.

(Add more mayonnaise, mustard and lemon juice to taste.)

Re: THE OFFICIAL LOW CARB FOODS AND MEALS THREAD!!!!! [Re: Patrice] #5919189
06/04/17 06:04 PM
06/04/17 06:04 PM
nm
A
adam m Offline
trapper
adam m  Offline
trapper
A

nm
I will Patrice. Sorry I forgot to take a pic last night but we had grilled beef ribs.

Re: THE OFFICIAL LOW CARB FOODS AND MEALS THREAD!!!!! [Re: Patrice] #5919198
06/04/17 06:19 PM
06/04/17 06:19 PM
Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Sharon Offline
"American Honey"
Sharon  Offline
"American Honey"

Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Oh boy that recipe sounds great-thank you Chickie !

I can't wait to try it. I could just feel from the original description that cauliflower -with its bland taste- and acceptance of other things added to resemble other foods in texture- would fit the bill in resembling taters - and some with butter !

Thank you so much for that recipe. It really helps too seeing the photo of the finished- gives you something to shoot for.

cool

The more people see the value in the insulin troubles- the more they will command accurate charge of their lifestyles and become better- even reversing the effects of certain illnesses that have been touted as incurable....depending on the status of their bodies before too much damage has occurred.

The proof of so many having such glowing success in BP control- weight loss- and insulin sensitivity brought back testifies to it all. A start of restricted carbs to begin, flushing the system - rebooting - then leveling out on a good balance -with even some high carb meals at times- but then doing the U turn right back to the road in eating on the norm...is the success stories of many in life.

I still love my pasta once in a while.....just not too often smile

Re: THE OFFICIAL LOW CARB FOODS AND MEALS THREAD!!!!! [Re: Sharon] #5919724
06/05/17 01:35 PM
06/05/17 01:35 PM
Sauk County, WI
Patrice Offline OP
"TMan Feed Gestapo "
Patrice  Offline OP
"TMan Feed Gestapo "

Sauk County, WI
Thanks, Adam!

Thanks, Sharon! I had some more of that this morning. Oh, and I sure love my pasta too. That and a few other things. I carbed my way through our rendezvous and setup. The last few days have been rough - but tasty! laugh

Re: THE OFFICIAL LOW CARB FOODS AND MEALS THREAD!!!!! [Re: Patrice] #5920846
06/06/17 01:41 PM
06/06/17 01:41 PM
western alaska
Malukchuk Offline
trapper
Malukchuk  Offline
trapper

western alaska
I made the cauliflower salad recipe last night. The wife was pretty happy, it was good thanks ladies.

Water is good for two things, Floating Ships and making Beer.
Re: THE OFFICIAL LOW CARB FOODS AND MEALS THREAD!!!!! [Re: Malukchuk] #5920955
06/06/17 04:09 PM
06/06/17 04:09 PM
Sauk County, WI
Patrice Offline OP
"TMan Feed Gestapo "
Patrice  Offline OP
"TMan Feed Gestapo "

Sauk County, WI
You are so welcome, Malukchuk!

Re: THE OFFICIAL LOW CARB FOODS AND MEALS THREAD!!!!! [Re: Patrice] #5921782
06/07/17 11:41 AM
06/07/17 11:41 AM
Sauk County, WI
Patrice Offline OP
"TMan Feed Gestapo "
Patrice  Offline OP
"TMan Feed Gestapo "

Sauk County, WI
Okay, so we did another cauliflower substitute last night. I made a shrimp stir fry on a bed of cauliflower "rice."

I made a stir fry with shrimp, mushrooms, snow pea pods, onion, celery, napa cabbage, scallions, garlic, ginger, almonds and water chestnuts, and I served it on a bed of minced cauliflower instead of rice. I see I should have added a little red pepper for color! The cauliflower rice would not have been bad but I overcooked it. I bought it already minced up in a bag and microwaved it in the bag (package directions), but it sat in its steam a little too long and became a little too soft. A better texture would have helped. By the time we put soy sauce on it and ate it with all the good stuff on top it was alright though!

Re: THE OFFICIAL LOW CARB FOODS AND MEALS THREAD!!!!! [Re: Patrice] #5921792
06/07/17 11:48 AM
06/07/17 11:48 AM
nm
A
adam m Offline
trapper
adam m  Offline
trapper
A

nm
Looks good.

I posted my wife's recipe for carnitas on the Roast page but here it is just in case.

Here's my wife's carnitas recipe. Pork shoulder is best but you can use other pork roasts too.

1 teaspoon ground cumin, 1 small onion peeled and halved, 2 bay leaves,1 teaspoon dried oregano (Mexican is best), juice from 1 lime, 2-3 cups water, 1-2 medium orange squuezed and halved, 2 large cloves of garlic (sliced or diced), olive oil, s&p to taste

This is done in a roasting pan and stock pot, even in the crock pot (just season add liquids and set) or grilled slowly (marinate first then grill save the marinade and heat it once pork is done).
Braise the pork roast in the oil and garlic and s&p once braised season then place everything else in the roasting pan add oven 325° 20-30 minutes depending on the size of the roast. 
Once cooked (any method above) shred the meat, place back in the stock, serve typically on corn tortillas but you can serve by itself too garnish with cilantro and a squeeze of lime. For an added kick add salsa sliced or diced jalapeños and cheese.
Enjoy

Page 7 of 15 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 14 15
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread