ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Painting cage traps #6027783
10/16/17 09:35 PM
10/16/17 09:35 PM
Desert Southwest-CA
DezertTrapper Offline OP
trapper
DezertTrapper  Offline OP
trapper

Desert Southwest-CA
Hi everyone,

I had someone cut through heavy duty chain to steal one of my traps. Not the first time this has happened, and I'm sure you all have had it happen as well.

My question is about paint. Some of my older (but still reliable) traps are powder-coated, but after years of use, its coming off. Some aren't powder-coated-so although they aren't "shiny" they're often visible when I am having to trap in places without much cover-and either no fences, or chain link, often with nothing to chain them to.

I figured if I gave them a light coat of something that kind of matches our soil, it may cut down on theft. What kind/brand of paint should I use? When I've got time I'm going to find someone who can weld plates on everything (and I can engrave those) but in the meantime, I've got to do something about this. Thanks!

Member NTA
Member NRA
Platinum Member: School of Hard Knocks
Re: Painting cage traps [Re: DezertTrapper] #6028155
10/17/17 09:23 AM
10/17/17 09:23 AM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
Blending cages with paint of sorts or using local cover/brush etc with debris to camo the cage better always helps. It can be difficult in some habitat to do a real good job but we have to do it to reduce theft.

Re: Painting cage traps [Re: DezertTrapper] #6028506
10/17/17 04:57 PM
10/17/17 04:57 PM
Desert Southwest-CA
DezertTrapper Offline OP
trapper
trapper

Desert Southwest-CA
Hi Bob,

The problem as that some areas have no cover to start with- trapping on properties people have scraped all vegetation off of, no shrubs or even weeds I can't even prune to create cover. I'm not sure what kind of paint would be best and I'd rather do this while it's still warm, and I don't mess things up by using the wrong paint. The living dead (tweakers) steal anything they see-truly frustrating and it's getting expensive. Never had issues until a couple of years ago, and it's only getting worse. Rustoleum maybe?

Member NTA
Member NRA
Re: Painting cage traps [Re: DezertTrapper] #6028587
10/17/17 06:39 PM
10/17/17 06:39 PM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Offline
trapper
BigBob  Offline
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
I new a guy that said he camo painted his cages to match the area he was trapping and while the paint was still wet, he drizzled sand. dirt, grass or whatever was around, so it stuck to the cage.

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Re: Painting cage traps [Re: DezertTrapper] #6028590
10/17/17 06:41 PM
10/17/17 06:41 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
Rustoleum is a good paint. Rusty metal primer is a good desert type shade maybe blended with a tan shade for break up colors would work great in your color scheme I would think. Or buying some cheap desert camo material, netting to cover the traps is another alternative for you. Plus it will help hide your catches as well.

Re: Painting cage traps [Re: DezertTrapper] #6028844
10/17/17 09:54 PM
10/17/17 09:54 PM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
I've been using exterior latex, thinned about 10-20% in whatever color has been MISMIXED that is a natural/brush/ground color...its only $5-7/gal found at Lowes or any paint mixing store.
Use a roller from inside and out and you get great coverage.

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Re: Painting cage traps [Re: DezertTrapper] #6028998
10/18/17 02:39 AM
10/18/17 02:39 AM
Desert Southwest-CA
DezertTrapper Offline OP
trapper
trapper

Desert Southwest-CA
Thanks for all of your replies!

I'm going to try all of the above-including the soil idea, and see what ends up working best.

I wish I could use bear sized foothold traps on tweakers...they're truly unbearable. Too bad I can't put something on my traps that burns human skin or never comes off when they steal them. Most of these morons probably don't even know what the traps are, but if it isn't nailed down (and sometimes if it is) they'll swipe whatever they see.

Much appreciated!

Member NTA
Member NRA
Re: Painting cage traps [Re: DezertTrapper] #6029218
10/18/17 11:57 AM
10/18/17 11:57 AM
Wright county, Minnesota
Birch Tree Offline
trapper
Birch Tree  Offline
trapper

Wright county, Minnesota
Rustoleum camo spray paint works well, it dries fast with minimal odor and the flat camo paints come in 2 shades of green and a sand color and a dark brown, they designed it for duck boats and even has a picture of one on the can.

Mark Skokan, Buffalo MN.

MTA and NTA Member.
Re: Painting cage traps [Re: DezertTrapper] #6029410
10/18/17 05:29 PM
10/18/17 05:29 PM
E. Iowa
H
hvtrapper Offline
trapper
hvtrapper  Offline
trapper
H

E. Iowa
I've used a mix of Rustoleum and acetone. Paint to acetone ratio 60/40. You can dip, spray or apply with roller/brush. Keep extra acetone on hand as it will disipate into the air as you apply it.

Tom Walters
Re: Painting cage traps [Re: DezertTrapper] #6029497
10/18/17 07:45 PM
10/18/17 07:45 PM
New Hampshire
Coondog6 Offline
trapper
Coondog6  Offline
trapper

New Hampshire
I have painted some of my traps.

Then I ask myself is it worth the effort?

Chuck

The measure of a man is what he will do when he knows he won't get caught.

Coondog6
www.BestWayWildlife.com
Re: Painting cage traps [Re: DezertTrapper] #6029765
10/19/17 04:45 AM
10/19/17 04:45 AM
NH
S
sgs Offline
trapper
sgs  Offline
trapper
S

NH
I've painted a camo pattern on some of my traps with Rustoleum but I actually prefer to just paint the cover.

I seldom set an uncovered cage so there's really no need for me to paint the trap itself.

Re: Painting cage traps [Re: DezertTrapper] #6029806
10/19/17 06:33 AM
10/19/17 06:33 AM
New York
Jim Comstock Offline
trapper
Jim Comstock  Offline
trapper

New York
Seems like any coating will wear in time. Rustoleum spray or mixed paint with acetone like HV mentions works. The cage wire is galvanized so usually holds up fine. Frames on water traps will start to show rust after a while. I just hit the effected spots once or twice a summer with some spray. We have used a shallow tub to dip or pour paint over traps to speed it up if when doing a bunch of traps.

Re: Painting cage traps [Re: DezertTrapper] #6030308
10/19/17 07:42 PM
10/19/17 07:42 PM
Reed City, Michigan
W
WPS Offline
trapper
WPS  Offline
trapper
W

Reed City, Michigan
I used cheap Walmart camo paint on my cages... first buttoned up the sides with galvanized sheeting from Lowes
adds a little weight but well worth the problem of fighting blankets and sheets being pulled into the cage

David Belden, WCO
Wildlife Pro Services
Re: Painting cage traps [Re: DezertTrapper] #6030707
10/20/17 05:41 AM
10/20/17 05:41 AM
Mass
TDHP Offline
trapper
TDHP  Offline
trapper

Mass
I've never painted cages for theft reasons. Trap fee is in the original price, and the fee should cover the trap(s) if it were to go missing. If you don't have a fee for the trap the homeowner should be on the hook for the Trap and that should be verbally and in writing and have them initial so that they are aware of that stipulation. Everything you put on someone's property you should have some type of fee for. Saves time and aggravation,because at the end of the day it's still a business. Jmo

Smile, you're an expert!
http://tdhpwildlifecontrol.webs.com/
Re: Painting cage traps [Re: DezertTrapper] #6031592
10/20/17 11:02 PM
10/20/17 11:02 PM
Desert Southwest-CA
DezertTrapper Offline OP
trapper
trapper

Desert Southwest-CA
I truly appreciate everyone's suggestions, thanks so much! This is a theft issue-and also an issue with either loose or feral dogs, doing whatever they want to do, wherever they decide to do it...and that includes tearing traps up...they're just too visible.

THDP-my contract specifically states that trap security is the responsibility of the property owner---and the owner is also responsible for trap replacement if any other animal (with the exception of the target species) damages or destroys a trap.

I also explain this verbally-without fail. Clients do a really good job of keeping their dogs accounted for/kenneled/going outdoors on a leash while trapping is in progress-it's never a client's' dog, it's feral dog packs (huge problem here) or one that someone lets run amok. I also require trap deposits if I feel theft may be a problem.

The issue is that in some of the areas I trap---they're devoid of any type of vegetation, and often there isn't a home on it, or if there is, its several acres away. Some are industrial sites. I really don't want to have to hit clients up for replacement fees-unless the trap is where they can keep an eye on it-and they failed to do so. Most of my clients are johnny on the spot with immediate phone calls/texts when an animal is trapped. In areas with even half-decent native shrub coverage, I've never had a trap swiped, and only one damaged. Trying to disguise a trap with foliage, etc. sticks out even worse than the trap in an area that's been scraped clean. Frustrating!

Jim, our soil (gritty) really puts powder coating to the test!

Member NTA
Member NRA
Re: Painting cage traps [Re: DezertTrapper] #6031967
10/21/17 12:33 PM
10/21/17 12:33 PM
Virginia/Texas
B
BanjoBill Offline
trapper
BanjoBill  Offline
trapper
B

Virginia/Texas
I paint all of my traps as soon as I get them, I dont lie rust and do as much as I can to make my equipment last as long as possible.

Bill Wright
Wright's Wildlife Control
(254) 371-5839
www.wrightswildlifecontrol.com
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread