No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 #6034453
10/24/17 08:23 AM
10/24/17 08:23 AM
Henderson, N.Y. Jefferson Co.
W
walleyed Offline OP
trapper
walleyed  Offline OP
trapper
W

Woke Up at 4:00AM To Pouring Down Rain. It's 8:20AM and It's still Raining Hard. I bet an Inch has fallen which If It keeps Up, things will be sporty on The Marshes, Rivers and Creeks For The Muskrat Opener In The Morning.

Don't Mind the Wet, But Stained Or muddy water makes it difficult to find denholes and Runs visually.

Farmers Will Be Hard Pressed to Get The Rest Of The Corn Out, but It will be Good for the just planted Winter Wheat.

Here's hoping the rain lets off and stops before too long or opening day may be a washout.

Glad I'm Not Land Trapper & Playing in The Dirt (MUD).

Good Luck On Opening Day New York Trappers.

walleyed

Last edited by walleyed; 10/24/17 08:24 AM.

"Provisional/Interim" member of NYS Trappers Association
Jefferson Co. Fur Harvesters

I Support Non-Resident Trapping

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6034464
10/24/17 08:45 AM
10/24/17 08:45 AM
potter co. p.a.
P
pcr2 Offline
"Twerker"
pcr2  Offline
"Twerker"
P

potter co. p.a.
about a half inch here just across the border but the winds were crazy last night.go get em Walleyed and all you others.

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6034540
10/24/17 11:05 AM
10/24/17 11:05 AM
Adirondacks, NY
Fisher Man Offline
trapper
Fisher Man  Offline
trapper

Adirondacks, NY
Mr. Walleyed,

I'm as anxious as you to get trapping, but just do not understand why everyone is bent on catching blue fur.I'm a mink a trapper, but I hold off at least until Nov.1 because of blue pelts taken now. Also, I hold off until November 15 to trap fisher for the same reason. I know, if I hold off someone else may catch them before me, but I prefer to have better quality. Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking you, each to their own.

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: Fisher Man] #6034566
10/24/17 11:48 AM
10/24/17 11:48 AM
W
walleyed Offline OP
trapper
walleyed  Offline OP
trapper
W

Originally Posted By: Fisherman
Mr. Walleyed,

I'm as anxious as you to get trapping, but just do not understand why everyone is bent on catching blue fur.I'm a mink a trapper, but I hold off at least until Nov.1 because of blue pelts taken now. Also, I hold off until November 15 to trap fisher for the same reason. I know, if I hold off someone else may catch them before me, but I prefer to have better quality. Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking you, each to their own.

Well AL,

I trap The Eastern Lake Ontario Marshes Where West Wind Storm Surges (Lake seiche)typically Raise water levels Two to Three Feet on A 20 MPH West Wind.

The Wind Blows Unbated Across The 193 Mile Length Of Lake Ontario and Hits The Low Lying Marshes & Barrier Beaches Like A Cannon Shot.

I Trap From A 16 Foot Heavily Laden Canoe at Least A Two Mile Paddle Down In The Marsh from most access points and It's A Very Dicey Situation in Windy Conditions in Warm Weather.

It Is Also a Very Physically Difficult Exercise In Fair weather.

Add In Cold Weather 30*F or Lower Temperatures, along With The High Winds, and It Is usually a Near Impossibility to Effectively Trap My Marshes In Mid To Late November.

If We get A Sudden Cold Snap and Get Iced In Like Happened in Last November with 100's of Traps Out, It's A Living (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) Risking Your Life Getting To Iced In, Stranded Sets to Either Check Or Pull.

The Lake Seiches Make Safe Ice An Iffy Proposition due to multiple Ice layers and constantly Changing water levels so Winter Trapping is out.

Also, A Huge Percentage Of Our Fall Rat population Typically fall victim to Winter Kill Due to Our unique, adverse conditions so It is a Use 'Em Or Lose 'Em Proposition.

If you Came out Here and spent a week trapping Our marshes, you would Quickly realize it is NOT Your Typical, Inland, Stable Water Level Rat trapping conditions.

It's A Totally Different World Out There In An Unprotected, Open Marsh Environment.

Nothing Like an Inland Adirondack pond, lake, Or Small Marsh Setup.

There are a Half Dozen, Experienced, 30 to 60 Years Of Experience Rat Trappers who have The option of waiting farther into Novenber to start trapping These Marshes and NONE of them do because they have only to experience 1 Season Holding Off To trap once, and they all Never Did it Again.

I'm Sure there are Some Other Upper Great Lakes Rat Trappers trapping places like Saginaw Bay Could relate to Similar Conditions like I experience here.

So That's Why I Trap Blue October Rats.

w

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6034571
10/24/17 12:02 PM
10/24/17 12:02 PM
New York
P
proratman Offline
trapper
proratman  Offline
trapper
P

New York
Do you have any of those over 20" Jumbo rats there that New York is known for on your line?

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: proratman] #6034609
10/24/17 12:56 PM
10/24/17 12:56 PM
W
walleyed Offline OP
trapper
walleyed  Offline OP
trapper
W

Originally Posted By: proratman
Do you have any of those over 20" Jumbo rats there that New York is known for on your line?

Three Or Four Every Year.

Usually All Scarred Up And Beat to Heck & Back, Though. smile

w

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6034628
10/24/17 01:49 PM
10/24/17 01:49 PM
NY
whartonrattrappe Offline
trapper
whartonrattrappe  Offline
trapper

NY
Good luck Walleyed! No water trapping here until the 10th so going to get some land sets in to scratch the itch.

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6034666
10/24/17 03:05 PM
10/24/17 03:05 PM
Adirondacks, NY
Fisher Man Offline
trapper
Fisher Man  Offline
trapper

Adirondacks, NY
Thank you for the explanation. I live near Lake George on eastern side of Adirondacks and we do not have enough rats to say so. Years ago trappers rented marshes along Lake Champlain, but those rats are now long gone.Certainly we do not have the wind and water conditions that you describe. I wish you good luck with your trapping.

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6034676
10/24/17 03:15 PM
10/24/17 03:15 PM
Pennsylvania
M
mixed bag Offline
trapper
mixed bag  Offline
trapper
M

Pennsylvania
Is it really some mad rush out in those marshes Walleyed??Just wondering what prices has done to competing out there.Plus the diehards must be getting old.Sounds like a nice workout to go trap rats,but have fun.Hope the weather improves for you

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6034728
10/24/17 04:25 PM
10/24/17 04:25 PM
east syracuse n.y
N
nyrat Offline
trapper
nyrat  Offline
trapper
N

east syracuse n.y
good luck bob and stay safe out there

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6034753
10/24/17 04:57 PM
10/24/17 04:57 PM
Williamsport, Pa.
J
jk Offline
trapper
jk  Offline
trapper
J

Williamsport, Pa.
I will be 50 miles north east of you in a week. Stay safe and keep us informed. We all like your posts......jk

Free people are not equal. Equal people are not free. What's supposed to be ain't always is. Hopper Hunter
Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6034776
10/24/17 05:24 PM
10/24/17 05:24 PM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Online content
trapper
Lugnut  Online Content
trapper
L

SEPA
And the The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 has begun! Woot!

I am looking forward to reading about your adventures this season Walleyed.

Eh...wot?

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6034843
10/24/17 06:32 PM
10/24/17 06:32 PM
Northern Maine
Bruce T Offline
trapper
Bruce T  Offline
trapper

Northern Maine
Good luck to all trapping.

Nevada bound
Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: mixed bag] #6034873
10/24/17 07:02 PM
10/24/17 07:02 PM
W
walleyed Offline OP
trapper
walleyed  Offline OP
trapper
W

Originally Posted By: mixed bag
Is it really some mad rush out in those marshes Walleyed??Just wondering what prices has done to competing out there.Plus the diehards must be getting old.Sounds like a nice workout to go trap rats,but have fun.Hope the weather improves for you

Most Years Yes, Last Year No, But The Bad Weather with Ice, Cold, & Wind Made Up For It.

I Have No Idea how Many Trappers I'll Run Into Tomorrow.

All The Creeks flowing into The Marsh Are High & Muddy Right Now From This Morning's Heavy Rain.

It's Going To Be An Almost Total Marsh Pond Set tomorrow Till The Creeks Drop & Clear.

w

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6034886
10/24/17 07:19 PM
10/24/17 07:19 PM
Eastern Shore of Maryland
bad karma Offline
trapper
bad karma  Offline
trapper

Eastern Shore of Maryland
Originally Posted By: walleyed

I trap The Eastern Lake Ontario Marshes Where West Wind Storm Surges (Lake seiche)typically Raise water levels Two to Three Feet on A 20 MPH West Wind.

The Wind Blows Unbated Across The 193 Mile Length Of Lake Ontario and Hits The Low Lying Marshes & Barrier Beaches Like A Cannon Shot.

I Trap From A 16 Foot Heavily Laden Canoe at Least A Two Mile Paddle Down In The Marsh from most access points and It's A Very Dicey Situation in Windy Conditions in Warm Weather.

It Is Also a Very Physically Difficult Exercise In Fair weather.

Add In Cold Weather 30*F or Lower Temperatures, along With The High Winds, and It Is usually a Near Impossibility to Effectively Trap My Marshes In Mid To Late November.

If We get A Sudden Cold Snap and Get Iced In Like Happened in Last November with 100's of Traps Out, It's A Living (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) Risking Your Life Getting To Iced In, Stranded Sets to Either Check Or Pull.

The Lake Seiches Make Safe Ice An Iffy Proposition due to multiple Ice layers and constantly Changing water levels so Winter Trapping is out.

Also, A Huge Percentage Of Our Fall Rat population Typically fall victim to Winter Kill Due to Our unique, adverse conditions so It is a Use 'Em Or Lose 'Em Proposition.

If you Came out Here and spent a week trapping Our marshes, you would Quickly realize it is NOT Your Typical, Inland, Stable Water Level Rat trapping conditions.

It's A Totally Different World Out There In An Unprotected, Open Marsh Environment.

Nothing Like an Inland Adirondack pond, lake, Or Small Marsh Setup.

There are a Half Dozen, Experienced, 30 to 60 Years Of Experience Rat Trappers who have The option of waiting farther into Novenber to start trapping These Marshes and NONE of them do because they have only to experience 1 Season Holding Off To trap once, and they all Never Did it Again.

I'm Sure there are Some Other Upper Great Lakes Rat Trappers trapping places like Saginaw Bay Could relate to Similar Conditions like I experience here.

So That's Why I Trap Blue October Rats.

w

Well. Sounds a lot like tidewater rat trapping, welcome to my world.

Never argue with a fool - they will drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: mixed bag] #6035787
10/25/17 04:19 PM
10/25/17 04:19 PM
W
walleyed Offline OP
trapper
walleyed  Offline OP
trapper
W

Originally Posted By: mixed bag
Is it really some mad rush out in those marshes Walleyed??

Well,

The Answer To That Question This Morning Was YES !!!!

I Arrived At Salmon River Estuary At 6:00AM and loaded up The Canoe, Launched, and slowly paddled my Way

Upstream To where I'd planned To start.

Since The 7:00AM Season Opening Time means a Half Hour Of Setting In darkness, I decided

To Prestake the Heaviest Clusters Of Rat Dens To Make Things go quicker Once Legal Time commenced.

I had quickly marked around 30 Dens by 7:01AM when I spotted The Lights Of Two Kyacks paddling up The

North And South Shorelines toward My Position, Quite Obviously the Trapping Competition.

I Quickly started Back Downstream to The One Island where I Had Prestaked when suddenly The Southern Kyack

veered offshore to My Prestaked Island actually beating Me To My First stake. The Guy Hesitated, and then

pulled out one of Those 110 Conibear stands, and Jammed It Into position beside My stake. I paddled past

him To my Next Stake and Dropped A #160 down on to It and Squirted Ahead To The Next Stake and repeated my

#160 Slam dunk while He cut ahead to my next Stake.

As He Was Attempting To Deploy his Rig at My Stake, He Snapped The 110 attached to The Stand Onto His Hand,

and while He was fumbling with It, walleyed passed Him Exclaiming: "Don't You Hate When That Happens" ?

and Then once again, walleyed Squirted ahead and performed his #160 Slam Dunk, and so On Down The Island.

At This Point, The Competition finally Conceded Defeat, and Paddled Off In A Huff.

Walleyed then Finished The Pre-staked Island, and reversed Course, and headed downstream, and then Up The North Channel.

Dawn Had finally Broke and walleyed quickly over-took the other Trapper #2 Who was the cousin to The First

Trapper, exchanged Pleasantries with Him, and continued upstream to another Island which had a Heavy cluster

Of Denhole activity quickly plastering it with #160 Steel and stakes, and then crossing To The Southern

Shore Of The North Channel, Reversed course, and started working my way back down stream toward trapper #2.

Just As walleyed completed setting the distance between himslf and trapper #2, Trapper #1 appeared from

Upstream, and began powerpaddling Toward trapper #2.

Walleyed surged downstream, passed trapper #2, and continued Down-stream to his First Island of Prestaked

Clusters of Denholes, and then Strung-Steel Heading west until He Ran Out Of Rat Habitat and Den Holes.

At That Point, With 79 Den Holes set out of 150 prescouted Locations identified, walleyed conceded the

remainder To The trapping competition, Loaded His Canoe, and Headed Out To Colwell Pond On Lakeview Marsh

for the next adventure. The Time was Now 10:00AM.

Colwell Pond was Deserted and Empty Of Competition, and though The wind had come up considerably, walleyed

another 38 sets were added to the day's total.

At That Point, It Was 2:00PM and Walleyed's Back Pain called A Halt to Further Trap setting after nearly

eight continuous hours on My Knees In The Canoe.

Total Traps Set: 117

Day One Is In The Books.

Thanks For Looking.

Stay Tuned

walleyed Out

Last edited by walleyed; 10/25/17 06:05 PM.

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6035813
10/25/17 04:52 PM
10/25/17 04:52 PM
Adirondacks, NY
Fisher Man Offline
trapper
Fisher Man  Offline
trapper

Adirondacks, NY
Wow! That really stinks having to trap under those conditions; sure takes a lot of the fun out of it. I spent the day enjoying being out of doors in the mountains.I did claim some trap sites because of my competition by placing unset traps there, but I respect particular sites that I know others set every year. I don't plan to set the traps until Nov.1. Enjoyed the read,please keep us informed and good luck.

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: Fisher Man] #6035830
10/25/17 05:04 PM
10/25/17 05:04 PM
W
walleyed Offline OP
trapper
walleyed  Offline OP
trapper
W

I did claim some trap sites because of my competition by placing unset traps there

AL,

How Would That Work As Far As That Trap Being Un-Set: "Shall Not Disturb A Legally Set Trap"

Would The ECON POLICE Consider That to Be A Set Trap, And Thus Stake Your Claim To That Site ?

Or Does The Trap Have To Be Set To Claim Legally Set Status.

My Pre-stake Trap Stake with No Trap On It Claims Exactly Nothing As I Am Well Aware.

Just wondering What Your opinion Is.

w

Last edited by walleyed; 10/25/17 05:04 PM.

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6035844
10/25/17 05:30 PM
10/25/17 05:30 PM
Gitche Gumee Wisconsin
RiversNorth13 Offline
trapper
RiversNorth13  Offline
trapper

Gitche Gumee Wisconsin

Here no one is allow to pre stake DNR land .
Any other land that is pre staked does not legally reserve the site for the person that staked or marked it .

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6035920
10/25/17 07:06 PM
10/25/17 07:06 PM
Adirondacks, NY
Fisher Man Offline
trapper
Fisher Man  Offline
trapper

Adirondacks, NY
Only my opinion, but I believe it is illegal to claim a trap site prior to the season. I believe that I have done nothing wrong; the traps were placed after the season had opened.If I look at them within 48 hours I believe I am legal and frankly since the traps are not set I think it is not necessary. It would be very hard to prove wheter I checked or not.
Frankly I raised my eyebrows when I read that you had staked dens prior to the season opening.Of course there were no traps attached, but isn't that claiming the site prior to the season? If I was another trapper and I saw those stakes I would avoid the site, believing it was already was taken, however I would be pretty mad if I knew the claims were made prior to the season.
Years ago beaver trappers in my area would visit beaver ponds, put in a stake, attach their name to it and claim the site, prior to the season. The next guy would come along, see the stakes, and would figure the first guy had it.Consequently some ponds never did get trapped and I believe was reason for the pre claim reg.
A question for you; every year I shut down my trapping and go the southern tier for 3 or 4 days deer hunting. All traps are sprung, but left in place, incapable of catching an animal. I do leave the fisher baits and know which traps have been hit when I get back. Is that breaking the law?I always thought that I was staying within the law. What say you? Some interesting points here.
One year I sat in my truck, in the dark, at one of my favorite mink streams. When 7:00 came I entered the stream only to find numerous traps already set. Ticked me off, but I did not turn him in.That was when mink were bringing a lot better money.

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: Fisher Man] #6036063
10/25/17 09:22 PM
10/25/17 09:22 PM
W
walleyed Offline OP
trapper
walleyed  Offline OP
trapper
W

The Only Mention In The Law on The Subject Matter Reads: "You May Not Set Or Stake
A Trap Prior to 7:00AM On Opening Day".

Pre-Staking is Not Specifically Mentioned.

We have a Guy who races around the marsh At 7:01AM on opening Day jamming stakes in The marsh bottom with a trap attached but not yet set.

He Typically covers hugh amounts of territory tying up trap sites before returning at his leisure to set the trap and complete the set.

He contends that the Stake & UNSET TRAP he positions after 7:01AM lays claim to the trap site.

I don't agree with him and although I haven't ever challenged him on it, I contend that until he actually sets the trap, I believe He has no claim of a legally set trap and therefore no claim to the site.

This same character, Ironically, claims that Pre-staking is Illegal and Un-ethical.

Go Figure.

My Personal Reasoning for pre-staking is at 7:01AM, I want to SET TRAPS just as fast and efficiently as possible and I contend as Long as I don't have an Expectation of a Claim to a Trap Site, Then It Is Legal and there is nothing wrong with It.

Prestaking is Pretty much widespread practice around here and I lost out on a lot of trapping sites in the past by Not Practicing It so I figured if you can't beat them, join them

In fact, every trapper who finds my Pre-stake has a much easier time locating & setting the pre-staked site.

I have had lots of stakes of mine used by other trappers, or thrown into the cattails.

It's a gamble, and you are taking a chance that it will be turned against you, but It pays Off big time if you can run back through and set traps at prestaked locations once the 7;01AM season opens but before the sun has fully risen during that half hour of Pre-dawn darkness.

The same Guy who started setting at my pre-stakes has prestaked before me in the past using subtle but none the less visable sticks to mark den entrances.

I use Orange painted 36" to 48" road grade stakes and If Somebody Starts setting at My Pre-stake, I have never said One Word to them or tried to verbalize ownership of a site.

Like It Or Not, We face stiff competition for trap sites on Public ground and Until DEC & Encon Police addresses It with a Regulation, It's going to continue to happen, and I'm not going to be the one without a muskrat in my Canoe while the other guy has a Boatload because he prestaked a few den holes in the dark.

Many If Not Most Fisher trappers around here leave their cubbies on site year-round every season, and Then Pre-bait & Lure weeks before the opener all over Tughill Plateau.

It's The same Thing as prestaking a muskrat den, but you don't hear any one cater-walling about It.

Lots of Preseason work goes into putting up a good catch including digging dirtholes, setting cable stakes, all with speed and efficiency on opening day in mind.

Prestaking a muskrat den is no different.

AL, I believe you are well within the law by leaving fired traps in the field while taking a break from trapping and you need not be checking an unset trap.

w

Last edited by walleyed; 10/25/17 09:44 PM.

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6036076
10/25/17 09:33 PM
10/25/17 09:33 PM
Gitche Gumee Wisconsin
RiversNorth13 Offline
trapper
RiversNorth13  Offline
trapper

Gitche Gumee Wisconsin

Apparently no one is getting pinched where your at or you would hear about it , legal or illegal.
If it's that way , it's just as easy to set next to someone else's set spot also .
Glad I don't have to deal with such things .

Simplify your methods to the point of perfection.

Become fast,efficient & effective.

The real "SECRET" to successful trapping.

KEEP IT SIMPLE!

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6036181
10/25/17 11:17 PM
10/25/17 11:17 PM
Adirondacks, NY
Fisher Man Offline
trapper
Fisher Man  Offline
trapper

Adirondacks, NY
Bob,
Thanks for the response. Pretty interesting stuff.Apparently things are done differently in different parts of the state.
I am an avid fisher trapper and very outspoken about the regs and season.Are those fisher cubbies on state land? I believe those on state lands have to be removed each year. I don't care if they leave them, just another bad DEC reg. We can't legally leave boats by Adirondack Ponds.
Actually I only have one bad apple mink competitor that has no regard for the law and has been ticketed numerous times. Most of my mink trapping I have no close competition.Same with fisher; I figure that I'm pretty lucky; most of my trapping in wilderness areas and I just do my own thing.
Good luck with the rats, stay safe, and have fun.

Al

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6036718
10/26/17 03:47 PM
10/26/17 03:47 PM
W
walleyed Offline OP
trapper
walleyed  Offline OP
trapper
W

Arrived at Salmon River At Dawn And Started Checking Traps, and Adding Sets At Sites I Missed yesterday Due To Canada Goose Muddied Water.

No Sign Of The Competition As They Must Have Checked Before Dawn as There Was Nary A Rat To Be Seen In Their 110's.

When The Smoke Cleared at Salmon River, I had Added an additional 35 traps for a total of 114 Sets In The water for Night #2.

The Salmon River Catch Was An Even 40 Rats.

Pulled Out and Headed To Colwell Pond On Lakeview Marsh where I picked Up another 13 Rats Including A Beautiful Jet Black Rat.

There was Another Trapper Setting the East Side of The Pond Stretch that I passsed Up Yesterday Due To Lack Of Rat Sign and Being Unduely Exposed To The Prevailing West Winds.

So The Total Catch For The Day Was 53 Rats out Of 117 Sets.

I Now Have A Total Of 156 Traps Set & Soaking For Tonight's Second Trap Night.

I'm Now Waiting For The wind To Dry The Rats Out Before I Start Skinning.

Took A Few Catch Photos, But Can't Post Them Due To The Photobucket Debacle/Etc.

It's Going To Be A Long Night.

Thanks For Looking.

Stay Tuned.

walleyed Out.

Last edited by walleyed; 10/26/17 05:30 PM.

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6036730
10/26/17 04:18 PM
10/26/17 04:18 PM
New York
F
Fire Fly Guy Offline
trapper
Fire Fly Guy  Offline
trapper
F

New York
Glad your enjoying the season Wally. Stay on them.

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6036739
10/26/17 04:28 PM
10/26/17 04:28 PM
Nevadafornia
L
Lazarus Offline
trapper
Lazarus  Offline
trapper
L

Nevadafornia
Always enjoy your posts.

Too hot to trap here.

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6036743
10/26/17 04:30 PM
10/26/17 04:30 PM
Adirondacks, NY
Fisher Man Offline
trapper
Fisher Man  Offline
trapper

Adirondacks, NY
Congrats on your catch. How long does it take you to skin that many rats?

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6036745
10/26/17 04:32 PM
10/26/17 04:32 PM
Western N Y
2labs Offline
trapper
2labs  Offline
trapper

Western N Y
Thanks for the update, good day over all.

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6036754
10/26/17 04:39 PM
10/26/17 04:39 PM
east syracuse n.y
N
nyrat Offline
trapper
nyrat  Offline
trapper
N

east syracuse n.y
joe said he mite be heading your way

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: Fisher Man] #6036786
10/26/17 05:37 PM
10/26/17 05:37 PM
W
walleyed Offline OP
trapper
walleyed  Offline OP
trapper
W

Congrats on your catch. How long does it take you to skin that many rats?

Just came In from skinning 17 rats, about 2 hours to do those but I'm very slow and rusty.

Most aren't completely dry yet so It will be awhile. Hands Hurt from depressing #160's.

Running out of daylight now.

I'll do 11 more and then leave the rest for the morning.

w

Last edited by walleyed; 10/26/17 05:38 PM.

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6037116
10/26/17 11:01 PM
10/26/17 11:01 PM
se South Dakota
NonPCfed Offline
trapper
NonPCfed  Offline
trapper

se South Dakota
Go get'em Walleyed!! Your journal entries are a hoot, I still think you should write a book in the off season! Personally, I think its unethical to use someone else's pre-positioned rat stakes even if its lawful. They had equal chance to set their own stakes ahead of time but didn't. Maybe I'm just too old fashion or competitive enough. Good and safe adventures this fall Walleyed!!

"And God said, Let us make man in our image �and let them have dominion �and all the creatures that move along the ground".
Genesis 1:26
Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6037750
10/27/17 06:20 PM
10/27/17 06:20 PM
W
walleyed Offline OP
trapper
walleyed  Offline OP
trapper
W

walleyed Finished Skinning At 10:30AM this Morning And Headed For Salmon River.

Checked The Traps and Added Another 10 Sets For Total Of 127 Sets Soaking Tonight.

Picked up An Even 40 Rats Out Of 118 Sets for the 2nd Day In A Row.

Checked Colwell Pond At Lakeview Marsh and pulled All Sets As There Were Only 6 Rats Out Of 38 Sets.

The Muskrat-ometer Is Hovering at 99 Rats in Two Days......One short Of The Century Mark !! laugh

There was an Offshore Wind Seiche Out Of The Southeast so The Pond water Level Had dropped By Over A Foot and Stranded Dry Many Sets.

walleyed Is having A bad back day so I'll postpone skinning Until The morning.

Thanks For Looking.

Stay Tuned.

walleyed Out

Last edited by walleyed; 10/27/17 06:56 PM.

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6037774
10/27/17 06:46 PM
10/27/17 06:46 PM
potter co. p.a.
P
pcr2 Offline
"Twerker"
pcr2  Offline
"Twerker"
P

potter co. p.a.
Lugnut and i were talking about you being on your knees for 8 hours in that canoe.hats off to you and good luck on your adventures.

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6038484
10/28/17 06:17 PM
10/28/17 06:17 PM
W
walleyed Offline OP
trapper
walleyed  Offline OP
trapper
W

walleyed Skinned Rats This Morning Until 11:30AM And Then Headed To Salmon River. The Plan Was To Pull The Whole Line Ahead of The High Winds & Torrential Downpour Forecast For Eastern Lake Ontario Region.

It Was Hard Pulling Traps As It Seemed Many Traps Held A Rat, But Walleyed Stuck With The Game Plan and The Final Body Count Was 34 Rats Out Of 127 Traps.

It's Already Raining Here So The Muskrat are Laying before the Drying Fans Drying Out For Skinning In The Morning.

That Makes 133 Rats in Three Days, Or 44.33 Rats Per day.

Last Years Three Day Total Was 123 Rats So we Are 10 Rats Ahead Of The Pace

Thanks for Looking.

Stay tuned.

walleyed Out.

Last edited by walleyed; 10/28/17 06:27 PM.

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6038498
10/28/17 06:31 PM
10/28/17 06:31 PM
east syracuse n.y
N
nyrat Offline
trapper
nyrat  Offline
trapper
N

east syracuse n.y
nice three day avg

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: pcr2] #6038546
10/28/17 07:05 PM
10/28/17 07:05 PM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Online content
trapper
Lugnut  Online Content
trapper
L

SEPA
Originally Posted By: pcr2
Lugnut and i were talking about you being on your knees for 8 hours in that canoe.hats off to you and good luck on your adventures.

Yep walleyed, your famous enough to have been a topic of discussion as PCR and I walked along the Osweyo River casting for, of all things, walleye and discussing things in general. If your ears were ringing last Monday (10-23-17), that would be why.

Keep the updates coming, I really enjoy them.

Eh...wot?

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: Lugnut] #6038605
10/28/17 08:02 PM
10/28/17 08:02 PM
W
walleyed Offline OP
trapper
walleyed  Offline OP
trapper
W

Originally Posted By: Lugnut

PCR and I walked along the Osweyo River casting for, of all things, walleye

The Osweyo River Near Shinglehouse, Tributary Of The Allegheny Rver ?

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6038622
10/28/17 08:20 PM
10/28/17 08:20 PM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Online content
trapper
Lugnut  Online Content
trapper
L

SEPA
The one and only.

Eh...wot?

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: Lugnut] #6038899
10/29/17 02:13 AM
10/29/17 02:13 AM
Maryland
S
SwampFox Offline
trapper
SwampFox  Offline
trapper
S

Maryland
Walleyed...thank you for your post and sharing your rat trapline with us. I GREATLY APPRECIATE IT! It brings back a LOT of great water trapping memories for me. In MT as a kid and in TN as a young adult. I really admire what you said about how you deal with other trappers concerning your stakes without a trap. My hat is off to you sir! PLEASE keep us posted and PLEASE add some photos, if you can? Thanks again.

Happy Trails and God Bless! Cary

Last edited by Swampfox; 10/29/17 02:17 AM. Reason: My typing skills!?!
Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6038903
10/29/17 02:55 AM
10/29/17 02:55 AM
potter co. p.a.
P
pcr2 Offline
"Twerker"
pcr2  Offline
"Twerker"
P

potter co. p.a.
yessir,showed him the worlds largest bait set for beaver.lookin forward to doing a little rat trapping myself but i couldn't hold a candle to youkeep the updates a comin,i look forward to them.

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: SwampFox] #6038923
10/29/17 05:54 AM
10/29/17 05:54 AM
W
walleyed Offline OP
trapper
walleyed  Offline OP
trapper
W

Originally Posted By: Swampfox
Walleyed...thank you for your post and sharing your rat trapline with us. I GREATLY APPRECIATE IT! It brings back a LOT of great water trapping memories for me. In MT as a kid and in TN as a young adult. I really admire what you said about how you deal with other trappers concerning your stakes without a trap. My hat is off to you sir! PLEASE keep us posted and PLEASE add some photos, if you can? Thanks again.

Good Morning Swamp Fox,

Can't add photos as No photo bucket and And computer won't allow me to use other methods.

I can e-mail them to someone else to post but I can't do it myself.

w

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6038975
10/29/17 08:17 AM
10/29/17 08:17 AM
Port Jervis, NY
B
beachcomber13 Offline
trapper
beachcomber13  Offline
trapper
B

Port Jervis, NY
Way to go, Walleyed! Best of luck and health out on the water.

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6038992
10/29/17 08:40 AM
10/29/17 08:40 AM
Alpine NY
Rick Otts Offline
trapper
Rick Otts  Offline
trapper

Alpine NY
The Only Mention In The Law on The Subject Matter Reads: "You May Not Set Or Stake
A Trap Prior to 7:00AM On Opening Day".

Pre-Staking is Not Specifically Mentioned.

We have a Guy who races around the marsh At 7:01AM on opening Day jamming stakes in The marsh bottom with a trap attached but not yet set.

He Typically covers hugh amounts of territory tying up trap sites before returning at his leisure to set the trap and complete the set.

He contends that the Stake & UNSET TRAP he positions after 7:01AM lays claim to the trap site.

I don't agree with him and although I haven't ever challenged him on it, I contend that until he actually sets the trap, I believe He has no claim of a legally set trap and therefore no claim to the site.

This same character, Ironically, claims that Pre-staking is Illegal and Un-ethical.

Go Figure.

My Personal Reasoning for pre-staking is at 7:01AM, I want to SET TRAPS just as fast and efficiently as possible and I contend as Long as I don't have an Expectation of a Claim to a Trap Site, Then It Is Legal and there is nothing wrong with It.

Prestaking is Pretty much widespread practice around here and I lost out on a lot of trapping sites in the past by Not Practicing It so I figured if you can't beat them, join them

In fact, every trapper who finds my Pre-stake has a much easier time locating & setting the pre-staked site.

I have had lots of stakes of mine used by other trappers, or thrown into the cattails.

It's a gamble, and you are taking a chance that it will be turned against you, but It pays Off big time if you can run back through and set traps at prestaked locations once the 7;01AM season opens but before the sun has fully risen during that half hour of Pre-dawn darkness.

The same Guy who started setting at my pre-stakes has prestaked before me in the past using subtle but none the less visable sticks to mark den entrances.

I use Orange painted 36" to 48" road grade stakes and If Somebody Starts setting at My Pre-stake, I have never said One Word to them or tried to verbalize ownership of a site.

Like It Or Not, We face stiff competition for trap sites on Public ground and Until DEC & Encon Police addresses It with a Regulation, It's going to continue to happen, and I'm not going to be the one without a muskrat in my Canoe while the other guy has a Boatload because he prestaked a few den holes in the dark.

Many If Not Most Fisher trappers around here leave their cubbies on site year-round every season, and Then Pre-bait & Lure weeks before the opener all over Tughill Plateau.

It's The same Thing as prestaking a muskrat den, but you don't hear any one cater-walling about It.

Lots of Preseason work goes into putting up a good catch including digging dirtholes, setting cable stakes, all with speed and efficiency on opening day in mind.

Prestaking a muskrat den is no different.

AL, I believe you are well within the law by leaving fired traps in the field while taking a break from trapping and you need not be checking an unset trap.

w

I don't think I could deal with that kind of dealings going on on my trapline too many guys and if someone touched one of my stakes I would be waiting for that guy when he returned.This is why I won't indulge in that kind of trapping good luck!

Rick Otts
Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6039018
10/29/17 09:19 AM
10/29/17 09:19 AM
potter co. p.a.
P
pcr2 Offline
"Twerker"
pcr2  Offline
"Twerker"
P

potter co. p.a.
it reminds me of opening day of mink back when they were worth good money.i almost miss that opening day bridge stakin competition.ALMOST.set 150 mink traps opening day and never saw another minker all season last year.gonna add more to that if its the same this year.

Last edited by pcr2; 10/29/17 09:20 AM.

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: pcr2] #6039789
10/30/17 06:08 AM
10/30/17 06:08 AM
Maryland
S
SwampFox Offline
trapper
SwampFox  Offline
trapper
S

Maryland
Walleyed...good morning to you sir. I understand. I am 55 and this computer stuff can get on my nerves! LOL I didn't grow up with them and I am still learning. Thank you for keeping us posted. It is appreciated. Be safe and have fun!

P.S. I sent you a P.M.

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6039798
10/30/17 06:39 AM
10/30/17 06:39 AM
potter co. p.a.
P
pcr2 Offline
"Twerker"
pcr2  Offline
"Twerker"
P

potter co. p.a.
hope the wind isn't as bad up there as it is here this morning,be safe.

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6040156
10/30/17 02:25 PM
10/30/17 02:25 PM
New York
F
Fire Fly Guy Offline
trapper
Fire Fly Guy  Offline
trapper
F

New York
Time to switch gears wally and put up some coon.

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6040290
10/30/17 05:37 PM
10/30/17 05:37 PM
Adirondacks, NY
Fisher Man Offline
trapper
Fisher Man  Offline
trapper

Adirondacks, NY
Wind was rough in the woods today, but every day in the woods is God's gift.

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: Fisher Man] #6040301
10/30/17 05:54 PM
10/30/17 05:54 PM
W
walleyed Offline OP
trapper
walleyed  Offline OP
trapper
W

Wind & Waves Were The Order Of The Day Today. It Was Sunny For A Short While But Now It's Raining Again and The Cold & Rain Pushed Me Off Tonight's Deer Watch Early. shocked

Lots Of Deer Will Be Swimming Ashore From The Marsh Come Sundown To Escape THe High Water.

Talked To Two Kids Who Pulled A Double On Does That Had Just Waded In From The Cattails. smile

Whacked Them Right Where I Was Planning To Go While I Was Off Doing Laundry !! laugh

Gave Them A Double Thumbs Up.

w

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6040359
10/30/17 06:59 PM
10/30/17 06:59 PM
lewis county,new york
N
newfox1 Offline
trapper
newfox1  Offline
trapper
N

lewis county,new york
brace for the water walleyed,im about 35 miles south of you and the black is rippin.passed a pasture today and about a foot of the fence post were sticking out of the water along a small stream.i measured 3.5 inches since yesterday morning.

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6040392
10/30/17 07:26 PM
10/30/17 07:26 PM
NY
T
trappermac NY Offline
trapper
trappermac NY  Offline
trapper
T

NY
Good to see your thread on whacking rats again this year Bob. You need a pic now and then for effect....;-) If you want I'll PM you my email and when I can I'll see if I can get a couple up for you.

Member NYSTA, NTA, FBU, ECTA
Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: trappermac NY] #6040399
10/30/17 07:31 PM
10/30/17 07:31 PM
W
walleyed Offline OP
trapper
walleyed  Offline OP
trapper
W

Originally Posted By: trappermac NY
Good to see your thread on whacking rats again this year Bob. You need a pic now and then for effect....;-) If you want I'll PM you my email and when I can I'll see if I can get a couple up for you.

Thanks Mac,

Got Another Trapper Working On It, But If He doesn't, I'll Pm You Some Pics.

w

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: Lugnut] #6040933
10/31/17 10:22 AM
10/31/17 10:22 AM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Online content
trapper
Lugnut  Online Content
trapper
L

SEPA

Yep walleyed, your famous enough to have been a topic of discussion as PCR and I walked along the Osweyo River casting for, of all things, walleye and discussing things in general. If your ears were ringing last Monday (10-23-17), that would be why.

Keep the updates coming, I really enjoy them.

Eh...wot?

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: Lugnut] #6040945
10/31/17 10:32 AM
10/31/17 10:32 AM
W
walleyed Offline OP
trapper
walleyed  Offline OP
trapper
W

Youse Guyz Are Way Too Weird, And Creepy/Funny Lookin' !! laugh

Kinda Like Steve Bucemi's Character In That Minnesota Movie Cult Classic: FARGO eek

w

Last edited by walleyed; 10/31/17 10:34 AM.

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6040954
10/31/17 10:38 AM
10/31/17 10:38 AM
potter co. p.a.
P
pcr2 Offline
"Twerker"
pcr2  Offline
"Twerker"
P

potter co. p.a.
laugh sure doesn't look like that now.

Last edited by pcr2; 10/31/17 10:40 AM.

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: pcr2] #6040979
10/31/17 11:04 AM
10/31/17 11:04 AM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Online content
trapper
Lugnut  Online Content
trapper
L

SEPA
laugh sure doesn't look like that now.

Yeah, I imagine it's raging with all the rain you guys had up there.

Eh...wot?

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6040988
10/31/17 11:15 AM
10/31/17 11:15 AM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Online content
trapper
Lugnut  Online Content
trapper
L

SEPA
Youse Guyz Are Way Too Weird, And Creepy/Funny Lookin' !! laugh

Kinda Like Steve Bucemi's Character In That Minnesota Movie Cult Classic: FARGO eek

w

I sort of see it...

I love that movie! LOL

Eh...wot?

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6041086
10/31/17 01:30 PM
10/31/17 01:30 PM
potter co. p.a.
P
pcr2 Offline
"Twerker"
pcr2  Offline
"Twerker"
P

potter co. p.a.
can't believe you'd pick on your 2 biggest fans although i do resemble that comment.. laugh

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: pcr2] #6041094
10/31/17 01:39 PM
10/31/17 01:39 PM
W
walleyed Offline OP
trapper
walleyed  Offline OP
trapper
W

can't believe you'd pick on your 2 biggest fans although i do resemble that comment.. laugh

I'm Grumpy From Being Denied Access To Lakeview Marsh Due To High Water, Wind, Waves, And Cold. mad

I've Got To Do Something Constructive To Occupy My Down Time. laugh

It's Getting Ready To Snow/Freeze Here And I'll Be Froze/Locked Out !!! frown

w

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6042896
11/02/17 08:27 AM
11/02/17 08:27 AM
W
walleyed Offline OP
trapper
walleyed  Offline OP
trapper
W

The Creeks And Ponds Of Lakeview Marsh By Yesterday Morning Had Dropped Well Below Their Upper Banks And Were Only A Day Or Two Away From Being Trappable.

But Yesterday Afternoon It Started To Rain Again In Earnest and It's Pouring Hard This Morning.

The Rain Gauge This Morning At Belleville, N.Y. Announced That 9/10ths Of An Inch Had Fallen Yesterday Afternoon And Last Night Sending The Local Streams Nearly Over Their Banks & Muddy Once Again.

Things Aren't Looking Good For walleyed's Timely Return To The Marsh Any Time Soon. frown

Stay Tuned.

walleyed

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6043293
11/02/17 05:48 PM
11/02/17 05:48 PM
williams,mn
trapper les Offline
trapper
trapper les  Offline
trapper

williams,mn
Good luck to you. Freeze up is underway here right now, and tonight it'll dip to 18. When this weather leaves here, it heads in a general direction towards you. 13 on Sunday night .

"Those who hammer their guns into plowshares will plow for those who do not."
Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6043334
11/02/17 06:51 PM
11/02/17 06:51 PM
Maryland
S
SwampFox Offline
trapper
SwampFox  Offline
trapper
S

Maryland
10/26/17 53 rats
10/27/17 46 rats
10/28/17 34 rats
posted for Walleyed

Last edited by Swampfox; 11/02/17 06:58 PM.
Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: SwampFox] #6043350
11/02/17 07:13 PM
11/02/17 07:13 PM
W
walleyed Offline OP
trapper
walleyed  Offline OP
trapper
W

Thanks For Posting Those Photos, Swampfox.

w

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6043351
11/02/17 07:14 PM
11/02/17 07:14 PM
Maryland
S
SwampFox Offline
trapper
SwampFox  Offline
trapper
S

Maryland
My pleasure Sir.

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6043402
11/02/17 07:52 PM
11/02/17 07:52 PM
Williamsport, Pa.
J
jk Offline
trapper
jk  Offline
trapper
J

Williamsport, Pa.
Well I almost left today but was told the roads are closed due to predicted flooding this afternoon and I guess they were right. Pretty soon I will be frozen out, but I am packed and ready to go to Tug Hill area.....jk

Free people are not equal. Equal people are not free. What's supposed to be ain't always is. Hopper Hunter
Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: jk] #6043408
11/02/17 07:57 PM
11/02/17 07:57 PM
W
walleyed Offline OP
trapper
walleyed  Offline OP
trapper
W

Originally Posted By: jk
Well I almost left today but was told the roads are closed due to predicted flooding this afternoon and I guess they were right. Pretty soon I will be frozen out, but I am packed and ready to go to Tug Hill area.....jk

Due To Be highs in The 50's thru Sunday, And It's supposed To Rain Every day.

There are some roads And bridges out But plenty Are open.

Call The Township In The Area You are going to trap and they will fill you in on what's what.

w

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6046624
11/06/17 07:52 AM
11/06/17 07:52 AM
W
walleyed Offline OP
trapper
walleyed  Offline OP
trapper
W

Another 1.5" INCHES In The Belleville, N.Y. Rain Gauge Since Yesterday Morning, and It's Still Raining Hard Right Now.

10 Days Since I Pulled For The Flooding. frown

This Is Starting To Get Irritating. mad

w

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6046629
11/06/17 07:55 AM
11/06/17 07:55 AM
potter co. p.a.
P
pcr2 Offline
"Twerker"
pcr2  Offline
"Twerker"
P

potter co. p.a.
rains suppossed to stop here this morning but the temps are gonna drop into the low 40's days.will it get cold enough up there to start freezing up this week about the time the water gets down??mink and rat for me this coming Saturday,Good luck and be safe.

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6049159
11/08/17 08:05 PM
11/08/17 08:05 PM
THOUSAND ISLANDS NY
T
TI-TRAPPER Offline
trapper
TI-TRAPPER  Offline
trapper
T

THOUSAND ISLANDS NY
Hows it going Bob?

The more you stir it the more it stinks.
Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: TI-TRAPPER] #6049177
11/08/17 08:17 PM
11/08/17 08:17 PM
W
walleyed Offline OP
trapper
walleyed  Offline OP
trapper
W

Originally Posted By: TI-TRAPPER
Hows it going Bob?

Water In The Marsh Is Extremely High Due to The High Lake Level.

Creeks Are Still High And Muddy Today But May Be Trappable Tomorrow,

Just In Time For The Freezing 18* F Temperatures Forecast For the Weekend.

Can't Decide: "SHOULD I STAY OR SHOULD I GO" ?

w

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6049207
11/08/17 08:30 PM
11/08/17 08:30 PM
THOUSAND ISLANDS NY
T
TI-TRAPPER Offline
trapper
TI-TRAPPER  Offline
trapper
T

THOUSAND ISLANDS NY
It's no picnic up here on the river mainly trapping the sand pits cause the cornfields are still flooded. Hope to see you at mannsville, keep at it my friend.

The more you stir it the more it stinks.
Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6055174
11/15/17 01:38 PM
11/15/17 01:38 PM
W
walleyed Offline OP
trapper
walleyed  Offline OP
trapper
W

The Sandy Creeks Water Levels Have Finally Dropped, The Water Clarity Cleaned Up, And The Air Temperature Climbed To An Acceptable Level So Yesterday Walleyed Strung Out Some Steel.

50 #160's in Den Holes On South Sandy Creek Yesterday, and Found Additional Den Hole Spots For Some More.

This Morning's Check Yielded 23 Muskrat Out Of 50 Traps Which Was A Pretty Good Trap To Catch Ratio.

Walleyed Added Another 20 #160's This Morning So We'll Hope For Another Good Catch Tommorrow.

Thanks For Looking.

Stay Tuned.

walleyed Out.

Last edited by walleyed; 11/15/17 02:02 PM.

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6055179
11/15/17 01:43 PM
11/15/17 01:43 PM
potter co. p.a.
P
pcr2 Offline
"Twerker"
pcr2  Offline
"Twerker"
P

potter co. p.a.
was figuring you would be about ready to be back out,good luck.

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6055191
11/15/17 02:00 PM
11/15/17 02:00 PM
New York
F
Fire Fly Guy Offline
trapper
Fire Fly Guy  Offline
trapper
F

New York
Any freezing issues Wally?

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6056418
11/16/17 07:24 PM
11/16/17 07:24 PM
W
walleyed Offline OP
trapper
walleyed  Offline OP
trapper
W

It Was Raining, With A Stiff Wind Blowing Out Of The Southwest When walleyed Left His Compound And Headed For Coffee At The Diner In Belleville, N.Y.

The Owner Of The Coffee Shop Fore-Casted By I-phone No Significant Rain Until Noon And A Southwest wind not to exceed 16 MPH But Switching To The Northwest and increasing to 25MPH after 11:00AM.

She Lied, As At 7:15AM walleyed launched Into an Environment that was Raining, Hailing, and Sleeting with a 25th MPH West Wind already In Evidence.

walleyed began pulling and stowing stakes and traps with a vengence and when the Final Trap was aboard near The Mouth Of South Sandy Creek At Lake Ontario, He was 28 Muskrat To The richer (Or More Likely To The Poorer)

walleyed was Soaked, even under His High Quality Gander Mountain Guidewear Raincoat (Sarcasm) so I Went Home, and Took a Cold Shower as It was now Discovered Much To My Dismay that The Heating Element on The Hot Water Heater was Kaput. frown

The Even The Rat Catch was unusually water-logged Today and are still under The fans as we Speak.

Someone, Probably The Fur Fairy, Gifted Me A High Dollar beaver

I guess We'll Skin Them All Tommorrow.

Thanks For Looking.

Stay Tuned.

walleyed out.

Last edited by walleyed; 11/21/17 10:14 AM.

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6056701
11/16/17 11:48 PM
11/16/17 11:48 PM
Northwest, Maine
MAD TRAPPER 47 Offline
trapper
MAD TRAPPER 47  Offline
trapper

Northwest, Maine
Does anyone know how to get ahold of Glen Bold? Need a pack basket from him.thanx.

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6057674
11/18/17 06:40 AM
11/18/17 06:40 AM
east syracuse n.y
N
nyrat Offline
trapper
nyrat  Offline
trapper
N

east syracuse n.y
how is the rat trapping going

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: nyrat] #6057693
11/18/17 07:17 AM
11/18/17 07:17 AM
W
walleyed Offline OP
trapper
walleyed  Offline OP
trapper
W

Was Going Good For Two days Till I Pulled again due to the weather forecast.

Will Reset soon.

w

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6059967
11/20/17 06:57 PM
11/20/17 06:57 PM
Maryland
S
SwampFox Offline
trapper
SwampFox  Offline
trapper
S

Maryland
November16, 2017 28 Muskrats POSTED FOR WALLEYED

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6059972
11/20/17 07:02 PM
11/20/17 07:02 PM
Maryland
S
SwampFox Offline
trapper
SwampFox  Offline
trapper
S

Maryland
November 15. 2017 23 Muskrats POSTED FOR WALLEYED HOPE THIS TURNED OUT RIGHT WALLEYED, IF NOT I WILL CORRECT IT> THANKS AND WAY TO GO ON THE RATS!!!

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6060592
11/21/17 08:48 AM
11/21/17 08:48 AM
New York
F
Fire Fly Guy Offline
trapper
Fire Fly Guy  Offline
trapper
F

New York
No Muskrat Meter this year?

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6060605
11/21/17 08:58 AM
11/21/17 08:58 AM
potter co. p.a.
P
pcr2 Offline
"Twerker"
pcr2  Offline
"Twerker"
P

potter co. p.a.
hey Walleyed,other than a little wind today it looks like the weather might cooperate for a few days here,how bout there????i've been spending too much time across in NY trying to shoot a deer but enjoying myself for sure.could of shot a dozen doe yestyerday with the snow but not even a single spike.good luck

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6060606
11/21/17 09:00 AM
11/21/17 09:00 AM
MO
cfowler Offline
trapper
cfowler  Offline
trapper

MO
Nice job on the rats walleyed. Always enjoy seeing how your season is going, and I appreciate your sarcasm. It's an art, much like rat trapping. You have a knack for both. laugh thanks for sharing. Be safe out there!

I trap for fun. I skin 'em for the money!
Grinners For Life-Lifetime Member, MO Chapter, Den #1
~You Grin, You're In~
Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: pcr2] #6060656
11/21/17 10:11 AM
11/21/17 10:11 AM
W
walleyed Offline OP
trapper
walleyed  Offline OP
trapper
W

hey Walleyed,other than a little wind today it looks like the weather might cooperate for a few days here,how bout there????

Since I Pulled My Traps Last Thursday, It's Either Been Pouring Down Rain, Heavy Wet Snow, Or Bone-Chilling Wind. Or It's Been A Combination Of The Three.

I'm NOT Trapping In Any Of Those Conditions Based On Where I Have To Go To Reach The Muskrat Populations In The Marsh.

That Plus All The Creeks Are Pumping Muddy Water Into The Marshes Putting Visability To Zero

I Sat On Deer Watch This Morning For An Hour In The Damp Cold And Wind And Was Barely Able To Tolerate The Cold. Was Told That The Plavix Blood Thinner I Am On Inhibits One's Ability To Withstand The Cold.

The Edema In My (Calf) Have My Legs Too Swollen To Fit In My Hip Boots, So Trapping In Too Cold Of Weather Without Hip Boots Is Out. Can't Find Any Hip Boot That Will Fit My Calf Muscle.

If There's A 3 Day Stretch Of Warmer Temperatures, and No High Winds, I'll Reset Somewhere As There Are Plenty Of Rats Available, But If The Conditions Are Bad Weather Wise, Count Me Out.

w

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6060689
11/21/17 10:49 AM
11/21/17 10:49 AM
potter co. p.a.
P
pcr2 Offline
"Twerker"
pcr2  Offline
"Twerker"
P

potter co. p.a.
very understandable,i consider my trapping right now "puttering"but after ny and pa deer we will see.till i stop enjoying myself i'm not lookin to change much.

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6066167
11/26/17 10:37 PM
11/26/17 10:37 PM
Steuben County NY
N
NYRedFox Offline
trapper
NYRedFox  Offline
trapper
N

Steuben County NY
Just found your annual thread Bob! Don’t get a lot of time to get on here anymore. Looks like your season has been similar to ours. Complete washout! Did get my first legal fisher in the new southern season. The deer gods blessed me with a couple Steuben county bucks this year! I’ve had fun with that. Scattered 4 dozen rat traps yesterday and we came home with 28 today.. Had a great time in the swamp, but with leaky waders and gauntlets, it was a little chilly today! Keep the posts coming and be safe out there!

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6066203
11/26/17 11:08 PM
11/26/17 11:08 PM
Adirondacks, NY
Fisher Man Offline
trapper
Fisher Man  Offline
trapper

Adirondacks, NY
Bob,

I too am on blood thinners; have a couple of heart stents. Cold and particularly wind bother me too.Not bad while trapping as I'm constantly moving. Deer watches kill me, but I'm thankful that I'm still above ground and goin'.

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: Fisher Man] #6071798
12/02/17 02:54 PM
12/02/17 02:54 PM
W
walleyed Offline OP
trapper
walleyed  Offline OP
trapper
W

Bob,

I too am on blood thinners; have a couple of heart stents. Cold and particularly wind bother me too.Not bad while trapping as I'm constantly moving. Deer watches kill me, but I'm thankful that I'm still above ground and goin'.

My Apparent Heart Attack In March And Then 4 Stents Installed In August Plus Other Health Issues Are Keeping Me Pretty Much at Idle Instead Of Full Throttle This trapping season.

Still Going At It Slow and Steady with A Fisher Box Out And A couple of Beaver Traps Soaking.

w

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6071813
12/02/17 03:13 PM
12/02/17 03:13 PM
W
walleyed Offline OP
trapper
walleyed  Offline OP
trapper
W

The Stars, The Moon, And The Planets All Aligned Perfectly Yesterday For walleyed

with Warm Temperatures, No Wind, Rain, Or Snow and No Doctor's Appointments to Deal With So walleyed Skulked

Off To The Stony Creek Estuary.

Before Mother Nature Could Conjour Up Any Bad Weather To Spoil Things, There were 30 #160's Nicely Situated At The Mouths Of Promising Muskrat Den Holes Along With A Brace Of 330's For Beaver At A Exclusively Cattail-Constructed Beaver Lodge.

This Morning We Sat The 2nd To Last Rifle Deer Season Morning Watch For Two Hours But The Deer were Conspicuous By Their Absence.

Started Checking Traps At 10:00AM and when walleyed Returned To The Launch Ramp he Had 16 fat December Muskrats Riding Along.

That Puts Us At 201 Rats so far For the Season.

Hope To Get Some More Tommorrow.

Thanks for Looking.

Stay Tuned.

walleyed Out

Last edited by walleyed; 12/03/17 06:37 AM.

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6071822
12/02/17 03:27 PM
12/02/17 03:27 PM
potter co. p.a.
P
pcr2 Offline
"Twerker"
pcr2  Offline
"Twerker"
P

potter co. p.a.
good to see ya.set a dozen and a half rat traps today myself to go along with the 140 trap mink line and the 3 coyote sets on my farm.i'm kinda looking forward to some cooler temps and a little snow as they are forecasting for the beginning of next week.good luck and be safe

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6072903
12/03/17 03:54 PM
12/03/17 03:54 PM
W
walleyed Offline OP
trapper
walleyed  Offline OP
trapper
W

Sat The Morning Deer Watch And Saw Nada. Went Home And Hitched Up The Canoe Trailer, and Headed For The Stony Creek Estuary.

Shuffled A Few Traps Around and Set Another 10 #160's for The Last Overnight Soak Here.

We'll Pull All Tomorrow.

Ended Up With 50% Less Rats Than Yesterday's 16 Coming In with 9 Fatties.

My 2 Beaver Sets Sit Idle. Wondering If Someone Has Already Whacked Them as The Season Has Been Open For A Month.

Hoping To Set The Lower Black Pond WMA If My Back Is Up To It As It Requires A Bit Of Canoe Drag In.

We'll See.

Thanks For Looking.

Stay Tuned.

walleyed out

Last edited by walleyed; 12/03/17 03:57 PM.

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6073945
12/04/17 01:37 PM
12/04/17 01:37 PM
W
walleyed Offline OP
trapper
walleyed  Offline OP
trapper
W

Pulled The Stony Creek Sets This Morning With Just 7 Rats Out Of 40 Traps as Is usually The Case After Three Days In The Water.

Wanted to Set Lower Black Pond today But I have A Morning DR's Appointment Tommorow so I'm Going To Hold Off. Bad Weather Is Supposed to be Moving In Tommorrow or Wednesday.

Stay Tuned

w

Last edited by walleyed; 12/04/17 05:23 PM.

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6076734
12/06/17 08:55 PM
12/06/17 08:55 PM
Maryland
S
SwampFox Offline
trapper
SwampFox  Offline
trapper
S

Maryland

Last edited by Swampfox; 12/06/17 08:59 PM.
Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6076743
12/06/17 09:00 PM
12/06/17 09:00 PM
Maryland
S
SwampFox Offline
trapper
SwampFox  Offline
trapper
S

Maryland

Posted for Walleyed. December 3, 2017- 9 Muskrats

Last edited by Swampfox; 12/06/17 09:07 PM.
Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6076746
12/06/17 09:02 PM
12/06/17 09:02 PM
Maryland
S
SwampFox Offline
trapper
SwampFox  Offline
trapper
S

Maryland

Posted for Walleyed. December 2, 2017-16 Muskrats

Last edited by Swampfox; 12/06/17 09:08 PM.
Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: SwampFox] #6168805
02/24/18 04:16 PM
02/24/18 04:16 PM
W
walleyed Offline OP
trapper
walleyed  Offline OP
trapper
W

Well,

It's Been A Long Stretch Of Time Since walleyed Has Had Any Traps In The Water; December 3rd, 2017: 82 Days To Be Exact.

I Had Been Eyeing "The Secret Creek That Never Freezes" Since January But The 3' To 4' Foot of Snow On The Level That I'd Have To Drag The Canoe Through For 300 Yards Kept Me From Doing Anything Stupid.

That Plus The Fact That The Unfreezable Secret Creek Had, In Fact, Frozen Over And Kept Me Away Until Today.

walleyed Loaded 20 #160's and 10 #1.5 Victor Stoploss, Plus Stakes Into The Old Towne Canoe, and Made The Long Drag Into The Marsh To The Creek.

The Whole South Bank Of The Creek Was Still Shrouded In Ice But The South Facing North Bank Was Ice Free.

Walleyed Found Enough Sign To Deploy All 30 Traps At Bank Den Holes, On Feed Beds, And At Rat Toilets.

Walleyed Also Slapped A Brace Of 8" X 10" Duke #330's Over A Dependable Otter/Beaver Culvert Pinchpoint That Had Finally Thawed Out.

Hopefully I Will Have At Least A Few Muskrat To Skin In The Morning.

Stay Tuned.

walleyed

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6168809
02/24/18 04:21 PM
02/24/18 04:21 PM
pa
H
hippie Offline
trapper
hippie  Offline
trapper
H

pa
Good luck on the secret crick.

PS., talking in the third person is gay.

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: hippie] #6168814
02/24/18 04:28 PM
02/24/18 04:28 PM
W
walleyed Offline OP
trapper
walleyed  Offline OP
trapper
W

Originally Posted By: hippie
talking in the third person is gay.

And You Are Aware Of This Homophobic Factoid.......How ?

Must Be You Have GayDar !!! shocked

w

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6168822
02/24/18 04:33 PM
02/24/18 04:33 PM
pa
H
hippie Offline
trapper
hippie  Offline
trapper
H

pa
Hippie just thought you'd like some feed back on what hippie thought when he read that. Hippie thought it sounded gay. wink

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: hippie] #6168823
02/24/18 04:35 PM
02/24/18 04:35 PM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Online content
trapper
Lugnut  Online Content
trapper
L

SEPA
Originally Posted By: hippie
Good luck on the secret crick.

PS., talking in the third person is gay.

Lugnut doesn't think you should talk to walleyed like that. grin

Eh...wot?

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6169054
02/24/18 08:45 PM
02/24/18 08:45 PM
east syracuse n.y
N
nyrat Offline
trapper
nyrat  Offline
trapper
N

east syracuse n.y
rats should be great right now good luck

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6169116
02/24/18 09:52 PM
02/24/18 09:52 PM
Albany, NY
B
bobsheedy Offline
trapper
bobsheedy  Offline
trapper
B

Albany, NY

You guys are killing me. The rats here are committing suicide on the roads.

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6169466
02/25/18 09:21 AM
02/25/18 09:21 AM
W
walleyed Offline OP
trapper
walleyed  Offline OP
trapper
W

walleyed Woke This Morning To Driving Rain And A Vicious South-East Wind Blowing 30 To 40 MPH Sustained Making Checking Traps Out In The Exposed, Open Marsh Impossibe Until The High Winds Subside.

walleyed Instead Proceeded To His Pinchpoint Culvert Otter/Beaver Spot Where He Immediately Noticed His 48" 330 Bodygrip Stand Was Missing From The Mouth Of the Culvert.

Donning His Polarized Sunglasses, Walleyed Peered Into The Murky Waters Of Upperv Black Pond Swamp But Was Unable To Discern Any Sign Of The Missing Conibear Stand, Or The 330 Duke.

After Fishing Around in The Murk With A Long Alder Pole With No Success, walleyed Reurned Home To Retreive His Tater Rake, Hip Boots, And Raincoat Necessary For A More Prolonged & Realistic Search.

Hopefully, What Ever Beast Carried Away The 48" Bodygrip Stand And 330 from The Trap Site, Will Be Found And Brought To Justice.

Stay Tuned.

w

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6169618
02/25/18 11:05 AM
02/25/18 11:05 AM
W
walleyed Offline OP
trapper
walleyed  Offline OP
trapper
W

Walleyed Returned To The Scene Of The Case Of The Missing 330 Stand and Trap Wearing His Hip Boots, Raingear, and Armed With His Tater Rake Along With A 10' Foot Hardwood Pole/Bronze Boathook and Began methodically Working Over The Depths Of The Plunge Pool In Front Of The Culvert All The While Listening For The Unmistakable Click Of Metal On Metal.

10 Minutes Of Raking Within 6 Feet Of The Culvert Pipe Yielded No Satisfactory Results Except For An Old Tire.

The Water Was 4' to 5' Foot In Depth So Wading Further Out In Hip Boots Was Not An Viable Option.

Therefore, walleyed Deployed His Antique 10' Boat Hook and Stretched As Far out As He Could To Rake A Fresh Search Area.

On The Third Pull A Click Was Heard And Felt, and Soon a 48" BodyGrip Stand Was Brought Up From the Muddy Depths, But No Trap Was Attached !! frown

Another Pull In The Same General Area Produced Another Click, and A Huge Male Otter Clamped In

The 8" X 10" Duke With Circle Trigger & Belisle Dog Popped To The Surface.

The Otter Had Carried The Whole Rig About 14' Feet Out From The Culvert Before He Expired.

The Beast Measures 44" Inches From Snout To Tip Of Tail. I'd Weigh It And Expect It Would

Easily Tally Well Over 20 Lbs, But My 4 Sets Of Berkley Digital Scales All Have Dead Batteries.

I'm Happy To Start This Round Of Trapping With An Somewhat Exotic Catch For My Immediate Area.

I Took Pics But Can't Post Them As My Computer Is Mostly Junk.

Thanks For Looking.

Stay Tuned.

w

Last edited by walleyed; 02/25/18 02:47 PM.

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6169856
02/25/18 01:37 PM
02/25/18 01:37 PM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Online content
trapper
Lugnut  Online Content
trapper
L

SEPA
Great catch and recovery!

Eh...wot?

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6169867
02/25/18 01:46 PM
02/25/18 01:46 PM
pa
H
hippie Offline
trapper
hippie  Offline
trapper
H

pa
Walleyed made a nice catch, congrats to him.

Sounds like some nasty weather he endured.

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6170189
02/25/18 06:54 PM
02/25/18 06:54 PM
east syracuse n.y
N
nyrat Offline
trapper
nyrat  Offline
trapper
N

east syracuse n.y
any rats today

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6170198
02/25/18 07:04 PM
02/25/18 07:04 PM
potter co. p.a.
P
pcr2 Offline
"Twerker"
pcr2  Offline
"Twerker"
P

potter co. p.a.
breaker breaker for that Walleyed,got your ears on good buddy.

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: nyrat] #6170376
02/25/18 09:43 PM
02/25/18 09:43 PM
W
walleyed Offline OP
trapper
walleyed  Offline OP
trapper
W

Originally Posted By: nyrat
any rats today

Too Windy To Check The Rat Sets Down In The Exposed, Open Marsh In The 30 To 60 MPH Winds.

Walleyed Will Check Them In The Morning When Things Calm Down.

w

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6170876
02/26/18 10:51 AM
02/26/18 10:51 AM
W
walleyed Offline OP
trapper
walleyed  Offline OP
trapper
W

walleyed Just Returned From Checking Muskrat Traps. The Results were 7 Rats Out Of 30 Sets with Two Fired But Empty Traps.

One Of The Fired Traps Was One Of Those "End Of The #160 Dog Perfectly Balanced On The Jaw Bar Keeping It From Closing" Fiascos.

Now What Are The Chances Of That Happening ? Apparently Pretty Good. LOL laugh

Going Out To Set Out Some Spring Creek Floats Where I Have Been Seeing Rats Grazing On Green Grass In Flooded Pasture.

Stay Tuned.

w

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6171010
02/26/18 01:22 PM
02/26/18 01:22 PM
NY
whartonrattrappe Offline
trapper
trapper

NY
Good to see you back after them. Good luck!

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6171807
02/27/18 08:40 AM
02/27/18 08:40 AM
W
walleyed Offline OP
trapper
walleyed  Offline OP
trapper
W

walleyed Just Returned From Checking The Five Floats Set Out Yesterday In Local Spring Creeks.

Two Rats Were Taken Including One Who Was Seen 3 Days Running Grazing In A Flooded Pasture.

This Morning At Dawn, There Was No Sign Of The Grass Grazer But There Was A Chain Down On The Nearby Float With A Nice Fatty At The Other End.

The Plan Today Is To Set Out A Bunch More Spring Creek Floats Along with 25 Feed Bed/Toilet Sets On Big Stony Creek.

Thanks For Looking.

Stay Tuned.

w

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6172380
02/27/18 07:02 PM
02/27/18 07:02 PM
W
walleyed Offline OP
trapper
walleyed  Offline OP
trapper
W

Ended Up Setting Four Floats, Eight Feed-bed Sets, and Four Den Hole Sets On The Big Stony Creek Estuary.

The Water Level Here Is Higher Right Now Than It Was Last Spring At This Time, and Most Of The Cattails Are Inundated. Not A Lot Of Settable Rat Sign.

The Water Control Board Says The Water Is up 11 Inches above Normal For This Time In February.

Last Year We Had Record Setting High Water & Flooding On Lake Ontario.

Hope We Don't Have A Repeat Of Those Conditions.

Probably A Result Of Global Warming & Climate Change. laugh NOT !!!

w

Last edited by walleyed; 02/28/18 05:58 AM.

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6174215
03/01/18 11:54 AM
03/01/18 11:54 AM
W
walleyed Offline OP
trapper
walleyed  Offline OP
trapper
W

Yesterday Pulled All My Sets On The Secret Creek Picking Up Only One More Rat As All My Feed-Bed Sets & Toilets sets Were under water from The Wind Induced Seiche.

Checked The Stony Creek Estuary Sets And Picked Up Four More Rats.

This Morning I Picked Up One Rat Off The Float At The Flooded Pasture and Just One At The Stony Creek Estuary. Made A Castor Mound Set Guarded By A 330 At Upper Black Pond and Added A Few More Sets At Stony Creek.

We're Supposed To Get A 8 To 12" Heavy, Wet Nor-Easter Snowfall Tonight So walleyed Held Off Setting Any More Sets Today.

About 5% Of The Rats Caught So Far Have Some Minimal Bite Damage.

Thanks For Looking.

Stay Tuned

w

Last edited by walleyed; 03/03/18 12:59 PM.

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6174255
03/01/18 12:26 PM
03/01/18 12:26 PM
potter co. p.a.
P
pcr2 Offline
"Twerker"
pcr2  Offline
"Twerker"
P

potter co. p.a.
thanx for sharing

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6174387
03/01/18 03:01 PM
03/01/18 03:01 PM
Adirondacks, NY
Fisher Man Offline
trapper
Fisher Man  Offline
trapper

Adirondacks, NY
Congratulations on the big otter Mr.Walleyed. I too have had to hunt for beaver that have pulled off of the trap stand. These days I wire the top tips together to prevent that from happening. Much easier to find if stand is still attached.
Pulled all of my beaver sets yesterday. Every one I'm catching has bites in the middle of the back. At least I can salvage the meat for fisher baits, the castors, and the oil sacs.Pretty sad when the castors are worth more than the pelts. This old dog remembers when they went for a dollar an inch.

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6175248
03/02/18 10:38 AM
03/02/18 10:38 AM
W
walleyed Offline OP
trapper
walleyed  Offline OP
trapper
W

The Wet, Sticky, Heavy Nor-Easter Snowfall From Last Night And This Morning Is Sinking walleyed's Rat Floats With It's 4" Inch And Deepening Coating.

No Catches In The Traps We Did Check. We'll Save The Stony Creek Estuary Sets For Late This Afternoon Or Tomorrow Morning As It Is Quite Nasty In Southern Jefferson County At This Time and It's Not Fit For Man Nor Beast To Be Out In A Canoe In Such Weather Conditions.

Stay Tuned.

Thanks For Looking.

walleyed Out.

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6176499
03/03/18 11:37 AM
03/03/18 11:37 AM
W
walleyed Offline OP
trapper
walleyed  Offline OP
trapper
W

walleyed Just Returned From Checking His Few Traps Now That Yesterday's Nor-Easter Has Blown Thru Northern New York's Jefferson County.

Both Traps On Every Single Float Were Encased In A 1/4" Inch Of Ice And Covered With 2" Inches Of Snow Effectively Rendering All Of Them Out Of Order.

All Floats And Their Traps Had To Be Re-Lured And Worked Over With walleyed's Framing Hammer In Order To Knock Off The Ice Coating And Put Them Back Into Proper Working Condition.

Most Of The Stony Creek Rat Toilet Or Feed-Bed Sets Were Likewise In-Operative.

Some How, We Did Manage 2 Rats At Toilet Sets At Stony Creek So The Check Was Not A Complete Dry Run For walleyed.

We'll Now Have To Wait a Few Days Till The Snow/Ice Lining The Creek Banks Melts Off A Bit Before We Can Deploy Some New Rat Toilet Or Feed-Bed Sets In New Brooks & Creeks.

Thanks For looking.

Stay tuned.

walleyed.

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6177653
03/04/18 03:59 PM
03/04/18 03:59 PM
W
walleyed Offline OP
trapper
walleyed  Offline OP
trapper
W

All walleyed's Floats On The Spring Creeks Were Empty, So We Drug The Canoe Back Into Lower Black Pond Swamp And Made 10 Feed-Bed Sets and A couple #160 Den Hole Sets Where The South Facing Bank Was Exposed To The Sun and Mostly Thawed Out.

Then We Set Up a 33O On A Cattail Lodge Constructed By A Beaver On Big Stony Creek And Picked Up 3 Rats In Feed Bed Sets There.

Thanks For looking.

Stay tuned.

w

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6177738
03/04/18 05:26 PM
03/04/18 05:26 PM
potter co. p.a.
P
pcr2 Offline
"Twerker"
pcr2  Offline
"Twerker"
P

potter co. p.a.
be safe out there.im a gonna play with a few more beaver i guess.

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6178747
03/05/18 07:44 PM
03/05/18 07:44 PM
W
walleyed Offline OP
trapper
walleyed  Offline OP
trapper
W

walleyed Picked Up Another Rat On The Flooded Pasture Float This Morning. Lower Black Pond Produced 3 Rats, and Stony Creek Produced A Zero.

We Journeyed South To Mud Brook, A Tributary Of North Sandy Creek, Which Meanders Down Into Lakeview Marsh.

It Is Usually A Pretty Good Place For Spring Rats With The Added Bonus Of Being Somewhat Sheltered From The Prevailing Northwest Winds.

walleyed Punched In 25 Rat Toilet And Feed-Bed Sets and Saw An Encouraging Amount Of Muskrat Sign.

We'll Let These New Sets Soak 2 Days Before Checking As Getting into This Spot Involves Some Canoe Dragging And Portaging Over Some Beaver Dams.

When We Return, We'll Be Hauling Another 50 #1.5 Victor Stoploss To Cover The Extra Sign We Scouted That We Had No Traps For Today.

Thanks For Looking.

Stay Tuned.

w

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6178834
03/05/18 09:40 PM
03/05/18 09:40 PM
Melrose,Minnesota
JeremyEickhoff Offline
trapper
JeremyEickhoff  Offline
trapper

Melrose,Minnesota
I enjoy your story line! You obviously bust your hump for your 'rats.

But after a couple years of reading it I have to ask. Is it common to deploy as many traps as you do with such small catch percentage? I understand that you cannot set within 5 feet of a hut, or use colony traps, but when you speak of 30 hot runs covered with single spring 160's, and the first check produced 7 rats, just baffles me. Maybe, those NY rats are more active than ours and make that much more active sign per rat.

No ill intentions, just curious.

Good luck man!

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: JeremyEickhoff] #6179305
03/06/18 12:08 PM
03/06/18 12:08 PM
W
walleyed Offline OP
trapper
walleyed  Offline OP
trapper
W

Originally Posted By: JeremyEickhoff
I enjoy your story line! You obviously bust your hump for your 'rats.

But after a couple years of reading it I have to ask. Is it common to deploy as many traps as you do with such small catch percentage? I understand that you cannot set within 5 feet of a hut, or use colony traps, but when you speak of 30 hot runs covered with single spring 160's, and the first check produced 7 rats, just baffles me. Maybe, those NY rats are more active than ours and make that much more active sign per rat.

No ill intentions, just curious.

Good luck man!

We Really Don't have A Lot Of rats Compared With The Acres Of Available Marsh Habitat, So Anything That Shows Some Rat Sign Is Set As I Have Way more traps than I Do Good Trap Spots So I carpet Bomb Everything And Stay Longer Than I Should At each Spot. We Have Hundreds OF Acres Of marsh without any Sign At all so When I See Some I set it All.

Didn't Use To Be that way.

we also have a lot Of deep Overhanging Cattail Mats where the exact Location Of a den Hole Or Run Is Just Guesswork and often I guess wrong. LoL

We also deal With flucuating water levels Where A set Is On Location When Set But Then The Wind switchs and the Lake seiche either Stands The Set On dry Land Or Inundates It Under Feet Of water. Again The Set Location Is A Guessing game.

Hope This Explains things Over Here In Northern New York

Checked 1/2 Of The Trapline This Morning And Picked Up Seven Rats And One Two Year Old Beaver.

w

Last edited by walleyed; 03/07/18 12:08 AM.

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6179712
03/06/18 08:08 PM
03/06/18 08:08 PM
Melrose,Minnesota
JeremyEickhoff Offline
trapper
JeremyEickhoff  Offline
trapper

Melrose,Minnesota
Thank you sir Walleyed! I appreciate you taking the time to explain your trapping environment in greater detail. You are 7 rats richer than I this day! Our season closed with February's falling.

I couldn't help but notice that the great state of New York chooses not to discriminate against fellow trappers. Time will tell, however I hope to see you in Minnesota some day busting huts, the only viable winter method!

Good luck and stay afloat!

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6180503
03/07/18 04:00 PM
03/07/18 04:00 PM
W
walleyed Offline OP
trapper
walleyed  Offline OP
trapper
W

walleyed Wanted To Beat The Bad Weather Today From The Latest Approaching Nor-Easter So He Was On Stony Creek At Dawn Where Everything Was Pulled For A Three Rat Catch.

Went South To Lower Black Pond Once Again Pulling All Sets For Another Two Rats.

Finally, We Proceeded To Mud Brook, Dragged The Canoe In, Portaged Around The Beaver Dams, And Managed Another Eight Rats.

A Cold Wind Picked Up Out Of The Southeast Along With Spitting Snow Making For An Uncomfortable Paddle Back Up Stream.

Since This Was Only The 2nd Check At Mud Brook, We Left The Sets For One More Day.

Hopefully, We Won't Live To Regret This Decision as We Are Due For A String Of Night Time Lows In the 26* to 28* F Range.

Got Home And Found That The Mystery Fur Fairy Had Gifted Walleyed A 50 Pound Beaver Left On The Porch.

This Was Just What walleyed Wanted To Skin Today !!! smile

Thank God It Has Castors, A Tail, And A Skull So Walleyed Can Get Paid For His Trouble.

Thanks For Looking.

Stay Tuned.

w

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6180509
03/07/18 04:14 PM
03/07/18 04:14 PM
williams,mn
trapper les Offline
trapper
trapper les  Offline
trapper

williams,mn
Thanks for the update. I have been following.

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6180602
03/07/18 06:39 PM
03/07/18 06:39 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Me too
Take some pics walleyed.
Some swamp selfies.

Last edited by Boco; 03/07/18 06:40 PM.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: trapper les] #6180621
03/07/18 06:59 PM
03/07/18 06:59 PM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Online content
trapper
Lugnut  Online Content
trapper
L

SEPA
Originally Posted By: trapper les
Thanks for the update. I have been following.

And do what Boco said, some swamp selfies!

Eh...wot?

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6180628
03/07/18 07:08 PM
03/07/18 07:08 PM
potter co. p.a.
P
pcr2 Offline
"Twerker"
pcr2  Offline
"Twerker"
P

potter co. p.a.
x 2 3/4,when's the southern zone close,or has it??

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: pcr2] #6180665
03/07/18 07:49 PM
03/07/18 07:49 PM
W
walleyed Offline OP
trapper
walleyed  Offline OP
trapper
W

New York State Southern Rat Zone Closed February 15th.

Northern Rat Zone Is Open Until April 15th.

Taking On-The-Trapline Pics Is No Problem.

But Posting Them Here Is Not Possible.

Something Is Wrong In The Process Of Uploading Them At My End And I Suspect That Something Is

ME As Well As An Outdated Computer. LoL

w

Last edited by walleyed; 03/07/18 07:50 PM.

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6182171
03/09/18 11:36 AM
03/09/18 11:36 AM
W
walleyed Offline OP
trapper
walleyed  Offline OP
trapper
W

Just Returned From Lakeview Marsh At Lower Mud Brook Where walleyed Had 35 #1.5 Victor Stoploss Set On A Two Day Soak.

With The Weather Forecasting Two More Nor-Easters On The Way, walleyed Was Paranoid Of Getting Froze-In Without Any way To Check Traps.

As Such, We Elected To Pull And Reset Tommorrow, Weather Permitting In a New Location.

Today's Harvest Of Muskrat Was 10 Fat Rats Who Are Now Drying Before The Fans.

walleyed Was Chilled To The Bone Upon His Return Due To The Waves, Brisk Wind & Heavily

Falling, Wet Snow And Was Very Happy To Arrive at His Warm, Dry Compound.

We Are Now Over Half Way To 100 Spring Rats With 55 On The Stretchers

In 14 Days Of Trapping Or A Pitiful 3.93 Rats Per Day. laugh

Thanks For Looking.

Stay Tuned.

w

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6182263
03/09/18 12:42 PM
03/09/18 12:42 PM
east syracuse n.y
N
nyrat Offline
trapper
nyrat  Offline
trapper
N

east syracuse n.y
there is spring rat trapping season in southern ny from about 81 to the thruway out to mass down to pa line check the map on nytrapper.com open till april 7. central and wetern ny closed feb 15

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6182276
03/09/18 12:48 PM
03/09/18 12:48 PM
potter co. p.a.
P
pcr2 Offline
"Twerker"
pcr2  Offline
"Twerker"
P

potter co. p.a.
i have a pile of beaver across the border in NY that need catching.no NY tag for me this year but you bet that won't happen again next year.i'm only a mile from the border.

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6182307
03/09/18 01:08 PM
03/09/18 01:08 PM
east syracuse n.y
N
nyrat Offline
trapper
nyrat  Offline
trapper
N

east syracuse n.y
is it worth buying a out of state tag to catch beaver and muskrat at these price level been giving beaver away this year don't want to put the time into them. still have 2 move places to try to clean out before april 7 comes. I see lots of dead beaver and rats along rt 17 and rt 88 is there no one trapping along the border of pa and ny

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6182310
03/09/18 01:11 PM
03/09/18 01:11 PM
potter co. p.a.
P
pcr2 Offline
"Twerker"
pcr2  Offline
"Twerker"
P

potter co. p.a.
that's why i didn't get it this year but wish i had.there is a pile of fur down here along the state line and i seldom see anyone else.very much worth the 275,i probably trap in NY as much or more than PA. most years.

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6182315
03/09/18 01:15 PM
03/09/18 01:15 PM
east syracuse n.y
N
nyrat Offline
trapper
nyrat  Offline
trapper
N

east syracuse n.y
yesterday saw 6 dead rats in like 50 yards by bigflats ny on 17 most of the bridgers that cross big rivers road kill rats beaver mink on most or near them

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6182319
03/09/18 01:17 PM
03/09/18 01:17 PM
east syracuse n.y
N
nyrat Offline
trapper
nyrat  Offline
trapper
N

east syracuse n.y
well have to go pick up another load of used traps today and a few furs hopfuly today

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6182320
03/09/18 01:18 PM
03/09/18 01:18 PM
potter co. p.a.
P
pcr2 Offline
"Twerker"
pcr2  Offline
"Twerker"
P

potter co. p.a.
i know a few canine trappers across the border but not a single water trapper left that i know of in my area .used to be quite a few but not for quite a while now.

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6184370
03/11/18 02:44 PM
03/11/18 02:44 PM
W
walleyed Offline OP
trapper
walleyed  Offline OP
trapper
W

Yesterday, Saturday The 10th Of March Turned Out To Be A Non-Starter As A Setting Day. Cold At 34* F and A 15 To 18 MPH West Wind Was Not Something walleyed Wanted To Deal With While Placing Traps On FeedBeds, Logs, And Other Rat Toilet Locations While Fighting The Wind To Keep The Canoe Stationary & Under Control.

It Was A Good Day To Flip A Canoe Over-Loaded With Stakes & Traps So Good Judgement Being The Better Part Of Valor, walleyed Hunkered Down In His Compound To Await Better Weather.

This Morning Dawned Cold But Dead Calm So We Launched At Colwell Pond Which Was Open On The Western Half Shoreline But Still Ice-Bound On The Eastern Half.

We Loaded 35 #1.5 Victor Stoploss And 35 5' Foot Electrical Conduit Stakes With The Tops Splashed In Bright Orange.

Rat Sign Was Fair But This Pond Has Only Been Open For A Few Days. Within A Few Hours We Deployed All The Traps At Good Locations And Identified Spots For Another 25 Rat Sets Along With About A Dozen Beaver/Otter Locations.

Walleyed Was Stiff, Frozen, Ice Coated, And Cold Whan We Arrived Back At The Launch Site.

A Cursory Check Of The Other Traps Produced A Nice 45 Lb Beaver At The Otter Culvert and walleyed Is Now Warming Up Back At His Compound.

Thanks for Looking.

Stay Tuned.

w

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6184390
03/11/18 02:56 PM
03/11/18 02:56 PM
potter co. p.a.
P
pcr2 Offline
"Twerker"
pcr2  Offline
"Twerker"
P

potter co. p.a.
good job,pa rat season closed jan 6,i will have my ny again next year.

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6185471
03/12/18 04:55 PM
03/12/18 04:55 PM
W
walleyed Offline OP
trapper
walleyed  Offline OP
trapper
W

walleyed waited until Noon when The Sun Was at It's Apex In The Sky And Had Warmed The Air

Temperature and Mostly Melted The Ice That Had Formed Overnight At The Colwell Ponds.

Loaded Up The Canoe With Eight 330 Conibears, 48" Coni-Stands, Stakes , A Half Dozen #160's and Another 15 #1.5 Vic Stoploss walleyed.

Broke Ice And Checked Traps Until We Reached The Beaver Channel Between The Two Colwell Ponds.

There, walleyed Deployed The Eight 330's For Otter & Beaver and Then Continued Checking Rat Traps.

We Arrived Back At The Launch Site with 15 Plump Muskrat.

Snow Fall & Bad Weather Is Forecast For Tonight and Tomorrow So We Will Plan On a Two Day Soak.

Meanwhile, We Have Rats To Skin And Beaver To Flesh.

Thanks For Looking.

Stay Tuned.

w

Last edited by walleyed; 03/12/18 07:29 PM.

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6185475
03/12/18 05:01 PM
03/12/18 05:01 PM
west ny
B
bulldozerjoe Offline
trapper
bulldozerjoe  Offline
trapper
B

west ny
It was cold this morning 11 degrees here, good luck

No matter how much money you make, always eat good🐠
Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6185517
03/12/18 05:43 PM
03/12/18 05:43 PM
Maryland's Eastern Shore
M
mud Offline
trapper
mud  Offline
trapper
M

Maryland's Eastern Shore
Have until end of month walleyed?

April is autism awareness month. Nearly 1 in every 100 children are born with an autism spectrum disorder.. 1 in 100. Stop and think about it...please
Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: mud] #6185597
03/12/18 07:26 PM
03/12/18 07:26 PM
W
walleyed Offline OP
trapper
walleyed  Offline OP
trapper
W

Originally Posted By: mud
Have until end of month walleyed?

Hey Mud,

Our Northern Zone Beaver & Otter Season Runs Until April 7TH.

Our Northern Zone Muskrat & Mink Season Runs Until April 15TH.

Every Thing Else But Coyote Closed On Feburuary 15TH.

Coyote Closed On March 28TH.

w

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6185652
03/12/18 08:08 PM
03/12/18 08:08 PM
Maryland's Eastern Shore
M
mud Offline
trapper
mud  Offline
trapper
M

Maryland's Eastern Shore
Wow thats late. Always loved going over to Pa after our season ended here and spring beaver trapping. Just a nice way to take in the seasons changing. We're done here Thursday.

April is autism awareness month. Nearly 1 in every 100 children are born with an autism spectrum disorder.. 1 in 100. Stop and think about it...please
Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6185922
03/13/18 01:11 AM
03/13/18 01:11 AM
se South Dakota
NonPCfed Offline
trapper
NonPCfed  Offline
trapper

se South Dakota
Not to hijack walleyed's thread but why do some norther states close their mrat seasons so early? South Dakota's rat (and beaver) seasons go through April 30 although I've never seen anyone trap rats that late. We can't be in the houses after sometime in March (haven't looked that up for a while because we don't have rat huts around here anymore). Our mink season does close Jan 31 which seems early but not muskrats.

"And God said, Let us make man in our image �and let them have dominion �and all the creatures that move along the ground".
Genesis 1:26
Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6185925
03/13/18 01:19 AM
03/13/18 01:19 AM
williams,mn
trapper les Offline
trapper
trapper les  Offline
trapper

williams,mn
Misguided biologists here think that you can actually over trap muskrats, and that you need to leave seed.

They are a cyclic aquatic vole, closely related to other "voles and lemmings". It would be like trying to kill off house mice in old houses and granaries of the old fashioned kind .

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6185941
03/13/18 02:20 AM
03/13/18 02:20 AM
potter co. p.a.
P
pcr2 Offline
"Twerker"
pcr2  Offline
"Twerker"
P

potter co. p.a.
PA closed Jan.7 mad

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: nyrat] #6186131
03/13/18 08:53 AM
03/13/18 08:53 AM
NY
whartonrattrappe Offline
trapper
trapper

NY
there is spring rat trapping season in southern ny from about 81 to the thruway out to mass down to pa line check the map on nytrapper.com open till april 7. central and wetern ny closed feb 15

SShhhhhhh! lol

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6186728
03/13/18 07:12 PM
03/13/18 07:12 PM
W
walleyed Offline OP
trapper
walleyed  Offline OP
trapper
W

walleyed Checked The Few Roadside Traps Not Requiring A Canoe To Visit This Morning And Discovered A Scene Of Devastation At One Of His Beaver/Otter Sets In Upper Black Pond.

The 330 And 48" Conibear Stand Guarding A Castor Mound Were NoWhere In Sight So walleyed Deployed His 10' Foot Boat-Hook and Fished Out His Coni-Stand Sans 330.

walleyed Left The Scene And Soon Returned With A 10' Section Of Furring Strip Which Was Lashed To The Boathook Pole With Duct Tape Effectively Doubling The Range & Reach Of walleyed's Searching Device And Soon a Nice 40Lb Beaver Was Brought To Justice.

We Spent The Rest Of The Day Today Fleshing & Boarding Some Nasty Beavers.

Tonight We Will Flesh And Stretch Muskrats.

Thanks For Looking.

Stay Tuned.

w

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6187505
03/14/18 02:34 PM
03/14/18 02:34 PM
W
walleyed Offline OP
trapper
walleyed  Offline OP
trapper
W

walleyed Payed The Price Today For Skipping The Trap Check Yesterday Due To The High Wind.

We Have A 48 Hour Trap Check For Water Trapping Here In New York's Northern Zone So We Can Play The Weather If Things Look Dicey On Any Given Day.

Problem Being That There Is No Guarantee That The Next Day's Weather Will Be Any Better, And Such Was The Case Today. LOL

It Was Cold, Snowing Hard, and A Nasty Northwest Wind Was Blowing At A 25 MPH Clip.

We Decided To Pull All Our Rat Sets Until This Snow And Cold Has Subsided and We Stowed The Traps, Stakes, And Rats As We Made Our Way Up Wind.

Freezing Hands, and Gradual Chilling Down Of Body Core Temperature Made This Excercise An Unpleasant Experience.

At One Point, There Was a Wild Rodeo When Walleyed Came Upon A Live Beaver Secured In A #1.5 Vic Stoploss Who Soaked Walleyed To The Skin With Freezing Water Before Finally Being Subdued.

When We Finally Arrived Back At The Launch Site, We Had Garnered 16 Muskrat Plus The Gnarly, Renegade Beaver For Our Cold Weather Pain & Suffering.

We're Still Cold & Shivering as We Type This Account Of Today's Events.

Thanks For Looking.

Stay Tuned.

w

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6187532
03/14/18 03:15 PM
03/14/18 03:15 PM
Ticonderoga,NY
saquelie Offline
trapper
saquelie  Offline
trapper

Ticonderoga,NY
I pulled my rat sets last weekend due to damage pushing 40%, how are yours holding up?

Last edited by saquelie; 03/15/18 12:16 AM.
Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6187816
03/14/18 08:32 PM
03/14/18 08:32 PM
chelsea,wi
keets Offline
trapper
keets  Offline
trapper

chelsea,wi
thx for the update

2021 goals....make time to trap
PROUD MEMBER WTA NTA FTA GOA SPORTSMANS ALLIANCE
Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6198236
03/24/18 06:26 PM
03/24/18 06:26 PM
W
walleyed Offline OP
trapper
walleyed  Offline OP
trapper
W

walleyed Finally Was Able To Get Some Rat Sets In The Water In Locations That Have Been Froze Up. Many Areas Where We Are Normally Trapping By Now Are Still Beneath A Polar Ice Cap.

My Beaver/Otter Sets Have Been Mostly Iced Over and No Sign Of Travel Or Activity.

Put Out 9 #160 Den Hole Sets At Colwell Pond, And Four Floats and 31 #1.5 Victor Stoploss Sets At The South End Of North Sandy Pond. Also Spotted A Couple Dozen Den Hole Opportunities While Stringing Steel But Did Not Have Only One #160 In The Boat. That will Be Rectified In the Morning. Also Spotted A Feed Channel Into The Cattails Being Used By Beaver That Will Get A Trifecta Of Duke 330's Strategically Placed In It In The Morning.

We Should Have Some Fur In The Traps In The AM.

Thanks For Looking. Stay Tuned.

w

Last edited by walleyed; 03/25/18 02:04 PM.

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6199175
03/25/18 02:19 PM
03/25/18 02:19 PM
W
walleyed Offline OP
trapper
walleyed  Offline OP
trapper
W

It's Like The Movie "Groundhog Day" Here In New York's Southern Jefferson County The Last Couple Weeks.

About 10 To 15* F, Steady 20 MPH Northeast Wind, Ponds And Still Water Icing Over Every Night, And Very Limited Animal Movement.

We had 31 Feedbed/Toliet Sets, 10 #160 Den Hole Sets, and Five Beaver Sets Deployed Last Night and Today's Catch Was ZERO Beaver and 11 Rats.

We Added 15 More Bank Den Hole Sets Guarded with #160's To the Mix.

The Weather Pattern Is Supposed To Change With The Arrival Of Rain Tomorrow.

That Should Get The Beaver And Scrats Moving Finally.

We Shall See.

Thanks For Looking.

Stay Tuned.

w

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6199182
03/25/18 02:26 PM
03/25/18 02:26 PM
potter co. p.a.
P
pcr2 Offline
"Twerker"
pcr2  Offline
"Twerker"
P

potter co. p.a.
wind has made it feel cold here all day.wish you were closer,no beaver trappers to be found down here.landowner up the road stopped with a permit for me to kill some beaver on his property.4 active houses in a 200 yd stretch and beaver swimmin around me about the whole time i was there.usually can jump across this creek but the gentleman and his wife liked to watch them till it got this bad.

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6199910
03/26/18 10:15 AM
03/26/18 10:15 AM
New York
F
Fire Fly Guy Offline
trapper
Fire Fly Guy  Offline
trapper
F

New York
Wally when you say "we" who you trapping with if you don't mind me asking?

Last edited by Fire Fly Guy; 03/26/18 10:15 AM.

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: Fire Fly Guy] #6200149
03/26/18 03:03 PM
03/26/18 03:03 PM
W
walleyed Offline OP
trapper
walleyed  Offline OP
trapper
W

Originally Posted By: Fire Fly Guy

There's Three Of Us Trapping Together......ME, MYSELF, AND I.

It's The Royal "WE".

w

Last edited by walleyed; 03/26/18 03:04 PM.

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6200161
03/26/18 03:18 PM
03/26/18 03:18 PM
west ny
B
bulldozerjoe Offline
trapper
bulldozerjoe  Offline
trapper
B

west ny

There's Three Of Us Trapping Together......ME, MYSELF, AND I.

It's The Royal "WE".

w

I figured it was Austin lol

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6200164
03/26/18 03:20 PM
03/26/18 03:20 PM
W
walleyed Offline OP
trapper
walleyed  Offline OP
trapper
W

*****WE*****Picked Up 12 Rats Today, And One Yearling Beaver In The Cattail Feed Channel.

Added Another 20 Traps At South End Of North Sandy Pond.

It Started Out At 30* F This Morning At Dawn And Warmed Up Comsiderably As The Day Went On.

Seeing More Rat Sign In The Form Of Feed Beds, and Toilets as The Shoreline Ice Melts Away And The Temperature Rises.

If It Rains Tonight, The Skrats Should Start Moving A Little Better.

Thanks For looking.

Stay Tuned.

w

Last edited by walleyed; 03/26/18 03:21 PM.

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: bulldozerjoe] #6200172
03/26/18 03:28 PM
03/26/18 03:28 PM
W
walleyed Offline OP
trapper
walleyed  Offline OP
trapper
W

Originally Posted By: bulldozerjoe

I figured it was Austin lol

Austin Isn't Currently An Active Trapper.

He Is Now An Illusionist !! laugh

w

Last edited by walleyed; 03/26/18 03:49 PM.

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6201209
03/27/18 08:06 PM
03/27/18 08:06 PM
W
walleyed Offline OP
trapper
walleyed  Offline OP
trapper
W

The Warm Weather Seemed To Stimulate Creature Movement Last Night As walleyed finally Had Action At One of His Castor Mound Sets That Had Not Connected Since Nor-Easter #1 Blew Through.

Had A Nice Circa #45 lber in The Duke 8 X 10 330.

My Fourth Muskrat Trap at The South End Of North Sandy Pond Held A Wacky Colored Rat.

White Tail, White Feet, And Creamsickle Colored Fur Best Described As Blondish-Orange.

Walleyed Will Freeze This Weird Colored Rat Whole To Sell At The Herkimer Auction.

Couple Traps Later At The Beaver Cattail Feed Channel Revealed Signs Of Devastation with Stakes Floating and The 48" Coni-Stand Missing.

Peering Down Into The Murky Water walleyed Spotted the Pointed Tail Of A Trump-Size,

MASSIVE Male Otter Who Had Tried To Squeeze Through The Bullseye Circle And Ran Out Of Luck.

His Days Of Chomping Up Crappie In The Back Channel Are Officially Over.

By The End Of The Paddle, We had 17 Rats and The Otter Along With The Earlier Caught Beaver.

More Fur Than walleyed Wants To Skin In A Day.

Thanks For Looking.

Stay Tuned.

w

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6201251
03/27/18 08:56 PM
03/27/18 08:56 PM
west ny
B
bulldozerjoe Offline
trapper
bulldozerjoe  Offline
trapper
B

west ny
Nice walleyed

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6201265
03/27/18 09:13 PM
03/27/18 09:13 PM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Online content
trapper
Lugnut  Online Content
trapper
L

SEPA
Good check, thanks for sharing.

Eh...wot?

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6201860
03/28/18 05:23 PM
03/28/18 05:23 PM
W
walleyed Offline OP
trapper
walleyed  Offline OP
trapper
W

We Can't Seem To Catch A Beaver Or Otter At Colwell Pond This Spring For Some Reason.

Usually, This Location Is Good For 6 To 12 Catches As It Is On A Dispersal Route Through Lakeview Marsh.

Caught Another Weird Muskrat Today With Pale White Tail And Feet, But It's Fur Was Normal Colored.

Ended Up With 16 Rats Today And Saw A Couple Dozen Swimming Muskrats While Paddling Around Checking Traps.

In Fact, In Just About Every Creek Or Water Body We Passed Today, We Saw Swimming Muskrat So It Is Safe To Say They Are On The Move Big-Time.

Oddly Enough, Our Floats Have Had Almost No Action This Spring.

Tomorrow, We Hope To String More Steel In A New Location As A Marina Owner Is Calling Complaining About Muskrat.

Thanks For Looking.

Stay Tuned.

w

Last edited by walleyed; 03/28/18 05:43 PM.

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6201862
03/28/18 05:25 PM
03/28/18 05:25 PM
potter co. p.a.
P
pcr2 Offline
"Twerker"
pcr2  Offline
"Twerker"
P

potter co. p.a.
get em,i'm jealous.your partners are lucky guy's. laugh

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6201896
03/28/18 06:00 PM
03/28/18 06:00 PM
PA
P
PSB1011 Offline
trapper
PSB1011  Offline
trapper
P

PA
Don't tell Old Baldy,he will be your partner next year.

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: PSB1011] #6202084
03/28/18 09:33 PM
03/28/18 09:33 PM
W
walleyed Offline OP
trapper
walleyed  Offline OP
trapper
W

Originally Posted By: PSB1011
Don't tell Old Baldy,he will be your partner next year.

The Skinned Rat Carcasses Are Piling Up Here In Jefferson County.

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6202342
03/29/18 08:54 AM
03/29/18 08:54 AM
New York
F
Fire Fly Guy Offline
trapper
Fire Fly Guy  Offline
trapper
F

New York
Thanks for sharing Walleye. Just wondering, do you ever encounter any decent Pike this time of year in or around your traps? They should be on the move to?

Again, thanks for the play by play. Always a good read.

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: Fire Fly Guy] #6202380
03/29/18 09:47 AM
03/29/18 09:47 AM
W
walleyed Offline OP
trapper
walleyed  Offline OP
trapper
W

Just wondering, do you ever encounter any decent Pike this time of year in or around your traps?

At Times,

WE Can't Keep Them Out Of The Conibears.

Up to Circa 18 Lbs Some Years.

Just One Chain Pickerel This Year So Far.

w

Last edited by walleyed; 03/29/18 04:52 PM.

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6202654
03/29/18 04:46 PM
03/29/18 04:46 PM
east syracuse n.y
N
nyrat Offline
trapper
nyrat  Offline
trapper
N

east syracuse n.y
way to go bob. if I get feeling better might set a few beaver sets next week

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6202668
03/29/18 05:10 PM
03/29/18 05:10 PM
W
walleyed Offline OP
trapper
walleyed  Offline OP
trapper
W

Started Raining This Afternoon As WE Set Greene Point Marina Where Spring Muskrats Are Allegedly On The Rampage, and Tormenting The Border Collie Who Patrols For Canada Geese.

After An Exhaustive Search, We Set 4 #160 Dukes In Den Holes along With A 330 For A Beaver Who Came Blasting Out Of A Large Bank Hole When walleyed Leaned Over The Gunwhale To Place Another #160 Just About Giving Us A Heart Attack, And Nearly Swamping The Canoe.

The Beast Will Pay For It's Crime If It Returns To That Spot.

Set Another Dozen #1.5 Stoploss & #160's At The South End Of The North Sandy Pond Where We Picked Up Just 9 Rats.

One Of Our Castor Mounds Sets at Upper Black Pond Produced A 55Lb Beaver Nicely Clamped In the Blake & Lamb #44 Long Spring And Waiting At The End Of The Drownding Wire.

Thanks For Looking.

Stay Tuned.

w

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: nyrat] #6202672
03/29/18 05:13 PM
03/29/18 05:13 PM
W
walleyed Offline OP
trapper
walleyed  Offline OP
trapper
W

if I get feeling better might set a few beaver sets next week

Mark ???

DID YOU HIT YOUR HEAD ??? shocked

Take It Easy For A Couple Of Days. I'm Not Fleshing Any More Beaver !!! laugh

w

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6202706
03/29/18 05:49 PM
03/29/18 05:49 PM
east syracuse n.y
N
nyrat Offline
trapper
nyrat  Offline
trapper
N

east syracuse n.y
just cant sit around heart attack or not .hopeing to go back to work week from Monday only lost 10% of the heart. may come up to visit you next week. dont need to see the doctor till thrusday

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6202710
03/29/18 05:52 PM
03/29/18 05:52 PM
east syracuse n.y
N
nyrat Offline
trapper
nyrat  Offline
trapper
N

east syracuse n.y
wife just said no more trapping this year. so I guess the beaver on fisher rd will live to next fall

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6203468
03/30/18 05:55 PM
03/30/18 05:55 PM
east syracuse n.y
N
nyrat Offline
trapper
nyrat  Offline
trapper
N

east syracuse n.y
well now many today

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6203470
03/30/18 06:02 PM
03/30/18 06:02 PM
W
walleyed Offline OP
trapper
walleyed  Offline OP
trapper
W

WE Finished Skinning This Morning and Headed Out To Check Traps. Pulled 5 Beaver Sets On Colwell Pond Along with 7 Rat Sets......Skunked.

The South End Of North Sandy Pond Produced 20 Rats And A Two Year Old Beaver.

The Rampaging Rats At Greene Point Marina Must have Taken A Holiday Last Night As walleyed Captured Only One Lowly Muskrat Out Of Four Sets, And The Beaver Was A No-Show.

walleyed Upped The Ante By Conibearing Off The Other Den Hole On The Opposite Side Of The Canal So If It Returns Or Leaves Either Location It Will Earn Itself A 330 Neck-Tie.

Upon Returning Home, walleyed Discovered A Gifted Jet Black Beaver On His Porch, Presumably Left By The Beaver Fairy.

Just What walleyed Wanted This Afternoon, Another High Dollar Beaver To Skin.

Being As Black As It Is, It May Bring A Little Bit Of Extra Cash.

Thanks For Looking.

Stay Tuned.

w

Last edited by walleyed; 03/30/18 07:12 PM.

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6203475
03/30/18 06:10 PM
03/30/18 06:10 PM
east syracuse n.y
N
nyrat Offline
trapper
nyrat  Offline
trapper
N

east syracuse n.y
great catch keep it up

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6203520
03/30/18 07:08 PM
03/30/18 07:08 PM
Ticonderoga,NY
saquelie Offline
trapper
saquelie  Offline
trapper

Ticonderoga,NY
Walleyed you should be careful about posting your trap placement on a open forum. eek

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6204286
03/31/18 08:22 PM
03/31/18 08:22 PM
W
walleyed Offline OP
trapper
walleyed  Offline OP
trapper
W

Skinning Took Until 11:00AM And Then We Started Out With A 45Lb Beaver At The Upper Black Pond Culvert.

Picked Up Two Muskrat At Greene Point Marina And Then A Dozen Rats At The South End Of North Sandy Pond Along With Another Two Year Old Beaver In The Cattail Feeding Channel.

Tomorrow Is Forecast To Be Cold With Very High Winds So We May Spend The Entire Day Skinning And Putting Up Fur.

If Not, We Might Try To Sneak Out Some Traps In Some New Areas Protected From The Wind.

Thanks For Looking.

Stay Tuned.

walleyed Out

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6204302
03/31/18 08:47 PM
03/31/18 08:47 PM
east syracuse n.y
N
nyrat Offline
trapper
nyrat  Offline
trapper
N

east syracuse n.y
nice catch today. with all this wind coming and shoreline flooding warning posted for Jefferson co will that put you out of business for a few days

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: nyrat] #6204829
04/01/18 11:51 AM
04/01/18 11:51 AM
W
walleyed Offline OP
trapper
walleyed  Offline OP
trapper
W

nice catch today. with all this wind coming and shoreline flooding warning posted for Jefferson co will that put you out of business for a few days

Not Really Mark,

The Area I Am Set Up On Now Is Protected From High West Winds By 80' To 100' Foot High Sand Dunes.

The Lake Seiche Will Raise The Water Level 2' to 3' Feet But The Muskrat Activity Level Usually Spikes During Events Like This One.

Since We have A 48 Hour Check For Water Trapping Here In The Northern Zone's Jefferson County, I Can And Have Postponed My Check Until Tomorrow.

We Checked 5 Beaver Sets at Dawn And Pulled One 45Lb Beaver Off A Castor Mound In A #44 Blake & Lamb Long Spring.

Today Is A skinning And Put-Up Day.

Too Cold For walleyed To Be Out In This Wind & Low Temperature With Plavix Coursing Through His Veins. LOL

w

Last edited by walleyed; 04/01/18 05:15 PM.

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6205139
04/01/18 05:39 PM
04/01/18 05:39 PM
Adirondacks, NY
Fisher Man Offline
trapper
Fisher Man  Offline
trapper

Adirondacks, NY
Other than the conibears, the Blake and Lamb #44 Double Longsprings, in my opinion, are the best beaver trap ever made.

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: Fisher Man] #6205164
04/01/18 06:26 PM
04/01/18 06:26 PM
W
walleyed Offline OP
trapper
walleyed  Offline OP
trapper
W

Other than the conibears, the Blake and Lamb #44 Double Longsprings, in my opinion, are the best beaver trap ever made.

Yup,

They NEVER miss.

I Had Tom Stalker Put Inside Laminations On Mine, Base Plated & Center Swiveled Them, And Added HEAVY Twist Link Chain With Three Crunchproof Swivel Points.

They Are Now Grim Reapers Of Spring Beaver At Castor Mounds.

Wish I Owned More But They Have Become Something Of An Antique Trap Collector's Item and Can't Be Acquired For Much Under $50.00 Bucks Each.

There Was Some On The Trapshed Recently But They Didn't Last Long.

w

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6206157
04/02/18 08:27 PM
04/02/18 08:27 PM
W
walleyed Offline OP
trapper
walleyed  Offline OP
trapper
W

Picked Up A 40Lb Beaver At A Castor Mound At Upper Black Pond At Dawn, Then Went To The South End Of North Sandy Pond. Pulled 20 Muskrat There Including Another White Tailed, White Footed Blonde Muskrat.

Greene Point Marina Produced One Rat And A 25 LB Yearling Beaver.

Spent The Afternoon Skinning Beaver, and Fleshing & Stretching Rats While Waiting For Today's Rat Catch To Dry Before The Fans. They Were Pretty Water-Logged Due to Their Two Day Soak.

Four Days Left For Beaver Season. 12 days Left Of rat season.

thanks For looking.

Stay Tuned.

w

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6207960
04/04/18 11:59 AM
04/04/18 11:59 AM
W
walleyed Offline OP
trapper
walleyed  Offline OP
trapper
W

We Had Nasty Weather This Morning With High Winds, and Pouring Down Rain.

Ran The Traps and Came Off The Water With 10 Muskrat. Had A Fired 330 At The Cattail Feeding Channel So We Probably Missed a Rat There. (We Looked For A Floater)

One Of The Ten Muskrat Was A Nice Jet BLACK Rat, 2nd One Of The Season. walleyed Will Freeze It Whole For The Herkimer Auction

Came Upon A Massive 10-11 LB Walleye Floundering On the Surface At The South End Of North Sandy Pond. Attempts To Right The Huge Wallow Hog Proved Unsuccessful So It Will Probably Become Gull Lunch.

Great Northern Pike Were Squirting Every Where In The Weedy Shallows. Personally, I Don't Know What's So Great About Them.

The Painted Turtles Have Come Out Of The Mud In Force To Sabotage walleye's Sets and Are Raising Heck With Things So Next Check We Will Be Pulling Here.

The Rats Are Now Drying Before The Fans and walleyed Is Trying To Get Warm & Dry From His Drenching Canoe Paddle.

Thanks For Looking.

Stay Tuned.

w

Last edited by walleyed; 04/04/18 06:37 PM.

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6207996
04/04/18 12:33 PM
04/04/18 12:33 PM
NNY
080808 Offline
trapper
080808  Offline
trapper

NNY
Sorry to hear your (walleye) becoming gull bait. (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) I’m bored!

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6208049
04/04/18 01:29 PM
04/04/18 01:29 PM
potter co. p.a.
P
pcr2 Offline
"Twerker"
pcr2  Offline
"Twerker"
P

potter co. p.a.
i'm just tryin not to blow away here now.rain has changed to snow also.thanx for takin me along here again this season.

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6208990
04/05/18 01:23 PM
04/05/18 01:23 PM
W
walleyed Offline OP
trapper
walleyed  Offline OP
trapper
W

We Checked The Greene Point Marina Sets On Foot Today And Went 3 For 4 On Rat Sets.

Nada In Our Two Beaver Sets. The 30 MPH North West Wind Talked Us out Of Launching The Canoe Today .

The Sandy Pond Sets Are Set For A Two Day Soak And Then Pull.

Today Is a Flesh & Stretch Muskrat Day.

Thanks for Looking.

Stay Tuned.

w

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6209976
04/06/18 03:03 PM
04/06/18 03:03 PM
W
walleyed Offline OP
trapper
walleyed  Offline OP
trapper
W

One Of Our 330's Was Pulled Off The 48" Coni-Bear Stand And Missing From A Castor Mound This Morning At Upper Black Pond. The Stakes & Coni-Stand Were Laying Flat On the Bottom.

walleyed Raked The Bottom With His Boat Hook To No Avail. We'll Return In The Morning With An Extension Pole Duct-Taped To the Boat Hook.

The South End Of North Sandy Pond Experienced A 3+ Foot Plus Raise In The Water Level Over The Last Two Days Resulting In Two Of walleyed's Four Floats Being Swept Away By The Lake Ontario Lake Seiche During The Hurricane Force Winds Of Wednesday & Thursday.

Both The 5 Foot Conduit Stakes Were Still On Location, But The Floats Had Risen Higher Than The Top Of The Stakes, And Were Now No-Where In Sight.

A Careful Shoreline Search Failed to Turn Up Either Of The Recalcitrant Floats

We Took Nine Rats And Pulled All Traps after A Good Week Of Trapping Here.

Hope To Reset Sunday If Good Weather Permits For The Final Week Of Rat Trapping.

Thanks For Looking.

Stay Tuned.

w

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6210068
04/06/18 04:33 PM
04/06/18 04:33 PM
NNY
080808 Offline
trapper
080808  Offline
trapper

NNY
Good luck finding everything

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6210215
04/06/18 07:50 PM
04/06/18 07:50 PM
Williamsport, Pa.
J
jk Offline
trapper
jk  Offline
trapper
J

Williamsport, Pa.
Your the man. I had all the logistics set up to trap near your area but I am a woose. No trapping for me in this kind of weather......jk

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6214831
04/11/18 05:20 PM
04/11/18 05:20 PM
east syracuse n.y
N
nyrat Offline
trapper
nyrat  Offline
trapper
N

east syracuse n.y
well no new stories still have a few days left

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: nyrat] #6214924
04/11/18 07:47 PM
04/11/18 07:47 PM
W
walleyed Offline OP
trapper
walleyed  Offline OP
trapper
W

I'm Busy Putting Up Fur For This Weekend's Herkimer Fur Auction.

We Tweeked Our Back On Monday Dragging The Canoe Full Of Traps & Stakes Into An Off-Road Fur Pocket.

You Can Now Stick A Fork In Me.

Besides, "Old Baldy" Said There Aren't Any Muskrats Left In New York. LMAO !!! laugh

It's Best He Continues To Remain Clueless & Ignorant.

w

Last edited by walleyed; 04/11/18 07:48 PM.

Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: walleyed] #6214931
04/11/18 07:54 PM
04/11/18 07:54 PM
AK
F
FairbanksLS Offline
trapper
FairbanksLS  Offline
trapper
F

AK
He's probably right. Zoomed in on Google Earth and didn't see any swimming in the upper Oswegatchie River.

formerly posting as white dog
Re: The Great Northern New York Trap Thread 2017-2018 [Re: FairbanksLS] #6214943
04/11/18 08:12 PM
04/11/18 08:12 PM
W
walleyed Offline OP
trapper
walleyed  Offline OP
trapper
W

Originally Posted By: gray dog
He's probably right. Zoomed in on Google Earth and didn't see any swimming in the upper Oswegatchie River.

You Got Suckered Into The DVD, Didn't You ? laugh

w

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread