ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Cage set details question #6056141
11/16/17 01:14 PM
11/16/17 01:14 PM
Virginia
T
thskeer Offline OP
trapper
thskeer  Offline OP
trapper
T

Virginia
New to cages. Do the experienced cage folks cover the bottom wire to try to make things more natural to canine or bobcat feet? I wonder if the wire feels different to them, especially where it can conduct cold.

I have a few cages out on my small line and wanted to get an idea of what the cage guys say. I'm targeting fox, perhaps coyotes, in tight places along fence lines. Think cage instead of snare and that is me. I thought about putting lure about 6 feet on either side of the cage along the trail\fence to get them interested and perhaps not focused on the cage in the trail. Does that sound like a tactic that would work?

Any other thoughts, hints or input in that application would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Tom

Re: Cage set details question [Re: thskeer] #6056323
11/16/17 05:27 PM
11/16/17 05:27 PM
missoula, mt 59803
M
mttrapperguy Offline
trapper
mttrapperguy  Offline
trapper
M

missoula, mt 59803
I definitely cover the bottom of the cage with dirt or whatever is around the set. I also like to put material on the pan so it appears more natural. I like to make a small hole in the ground and put my lure and bait in the hole and then set the cage on top of that hole in line with the pan. Hope this helps.

Re: Cage set details question [Re: thskeer] #6056490
11/16/17 08:39 PM
11/16/17 08:39 PM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Offline
trapper
BigBob  Offline
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
When I set a cage trap I ALWAYS stick a long stake thru the top/bottom and well into the dirt, so it can't be rolled over and unlock the door, either by the catch or somebody looking for a meal.

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Re: Cage set details question [Re: thskeer] #6056537
11/16/17 09:09 PM
11/16/17 09:09 PM
Virginia
T
thskeer Offline OP
trapper
thskeer  Offline OP
trapper
T

Virginia
No pan on these cages but I did consider something akin to a dirt hole with a cage over the top. Not sure I want to use bait due to numbers of possum and coon around.

I don’t have to stake my present sets as I can wire them off to stay upright as presently set.

Tom

Re: Cage set details question [Re: thskeer] #6056633
11/16/17 10:43 PM
11/16/17 10:43 PM
Desert Southwest-CA
DezertTrapper Offline
trapper
DezertTrapper  Offline
trapper

Desert Southwest-CA
I always do "floor work" on all cage traps. A lot of critters will immediately put the brakes on if they step on metal. Depending on the species, my floors may be elaborate. The best piece of equipment you can possibly buy (and one I cannot live without) is a sturdy metal dirt sifter. Using one of these makes a huge difference IMHO. I also use whatever native grasses, leaves, etc. are at the site, and try to make it look the same inside as it does outside, and I never use my bare hands...I always wear leather gloves.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Member NTA
Member NRA
Platinum Member: School of Hard Knocks
Re: Cage set details question [Re: thskeer] #6058046
11/18/17 03:46 PM
11/18/17 03:46 PM
southern ont. canada
B
bob pake Offline
trapper
bob pake  Offline
trapper
B

southern ont. canada
Desert trapper You seem to be able to cage coyotes. I would not waste my time because I know what the unfortunate results would be.
You need to start a new post and educate me ( us ) on coyote cage trapping.

thanks

Re: Cage set details question [Re: thskeer] #6058296
11/18/17 09:45 PM
11/18/17 09:45 PM
Desert Southwest-CA
DezertTrapper Offline
trapper
DezertTrapper  Offline
trapper

Desert Southwest-CA
I don't exactly understand what it is you're asking? I do what I do because sick ones can make healthy ones sick-and I believe in bringing in the suffering ones to end their misery. I live in an environment where they are absolutely a critical part of a healthy ecosystem, they aren't an animal that has recently "spread" like they have from the midwest to the east (and north) they've been here for tens (if not hundreds) of thousands of years. They're masters at pest/rodent control. High on the food chain here with the exception of mountain lions, which aren't too common in desert regions.

I fully understand other regions deal with significant predation problems, but those are different subspecies of coyotes. They are far larger, and have a lot of wolf DNA-and I fully understand why they're considered such a pest in other regions. We have more predation problems with feral dogs than our coyotes could ever dream of causing...and I trap a whole lot of feral dogs.

Member NTA
Member NRA
Re: Cage set details question [Re: thskeer] #6058609
11/19/17 09:22 AM
11/19/17 09:22 AM
southern ont. canada
B
bob pake Offline
trapper
bob pake  Offline
trapper
B

southern ont. canada
Dezert Trapper- perhaps there is no magic to getting a canine into a cage . There must be some fine points. How you get it done tweaked my interest.
Two people that I know of caught adult canines( red fox ) in cages on purpose.
One person had a chicken wired to the back of a cage. ( he got to explain that one to a judge.)
The other made a cage the size of a small car.
I am of the frame of mind that I will never do what you accomplish. Cage coyotes!
Please elaborate on your methods........Not picking on you, just interested.
Thanks

Re: Cage set details question [Re: thskeer] #6058961
11/19/17 04:59 PM
11/19/17 04:59 PM
Desert Southwest-CA
DezertTrapper Offline
trapper
DezertTrapper  Offline
trapper

Desert Southwest-CA
Hi Bob, Aah, OK! to be honest, I catch a whole lot of grief from folks who do not understand what it is I'm doing----and why. I did catch a desert kit fox 2 days ago, released immediately of course!

I'll try to post something more substantial when I have a little more time, I need to leave to check traps in a bit.

Member NTA
Member NRA
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread