Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

ATS
(Please support Ted's Fur Shed, our sponsor for the Wilderness Page)

Alaska Trappers Association

Print Thread
Hop To
setting up a new line #6098672
12/25/17 02:02 AM
12/25/17 02:02 AM
Alaska
A
Arkansas2Alaska Offline OP
trapper
Arkansas2Alaska  Offline OP
trapper
A

Alaska
I recently moved back to Alaska (Eagle River area) and I am wanting to establish a new line. First question... Who all traps the area between palmer and chickaloon? I do not want to step on anyone's toes, so that's why I am asking in here. I used to have a 4 mile or so walk line in a less than desirable area, so I am wanting to establish a much longer line with higher elevation. Thanks for any input in advance. I will not be able to trap again until next year fyi... Thanks

David

Re: setting up a new line [Re: Arkansas2Alaska] #6098673
12/25/17 02:06 AM
12/25/17 02:06 AM
Alaska
A
trapper
trapper
A

Alaska
And Merry Christmas to everyone out there ~!!!!

Re: setting up a new line [Re: Arkansas2Alaska] #6101460
12/27/17 02:13 AM
12/27/17 02:13 AM
Interior Alaska
W
Wyoming Offline
trapper
Wyoming  Offline
trapper
W

Interior Alaska
Well, I can't give any detailed info on your area, but touching base with local trappers is a good start. Maybe the Alaska Trappers Association would be a resource for you.

Be aware that people up here that haven't trapped in 10 years will claim all kinds of country, so its a process to see what is actually being worked and what isn't. People also leave lines to rest for a year or two as well, so just because its disused this year doesn't mean its abandoned.

Territoriality runs strong up here, some of it rightfully so, some not I think. If you spent the last 20 years breaking and maintaining trails, I respect the heck out of that, and am restoring old trails and lines myself....10 years of disuse makes for a lot of willows.

Just attempting to be courteous and respecting people's areas will go a long ways I have found.

Good luck!

Learning how this is done, one set at a time.
Re: setting up a new line [Re: Arkansas2Alaska] #6101468
12/27/17 03:03 AM
12/27/17 03:03 AM
Virginia USA
C
Chalk1 Commander Offline
trapper
Chalk1 Commander  Offline
trapper
C

Virginia USA
I’m running traps with my siblings in the soapstone buffalo mine area but I’m on the east side of moose creek and staying west of soapstone rd.

The main thing to watch around chickaloon is native land.

Romans 10:14-15
Re: setting up a new line [Re: Arkansas2Alaska] #6107825
12/31/17 07:36 PM
12/31/17 07:36 PM
Interior Alaska
W
Wyoming Offline
trapper
Wyoming  Offline
trapper
W

Interior Alaska
Shoot, my apologies for not reading your post closely enough...."moving back". You're probably just as, if not more familiar with stuff up here than I am. OnX maps, particularly their "roam" series is as good a respurce as I have found for land ownership info, it also overlays old trail systems that a lot of newer maps dont have.

Learning how this is done, one set at a time.
Re: setting up a new line [Re: Arkansas2Alaska] #6111053
01/02/18 11:28 PM
01/02/18 11:28 PM
Alaska
A
trapper
trapper
A

Alaska
I wont be trapping again until next year but I am trying to get enough info to not cross over on any other trappers. But as always there will be someone that says I am line jumping no matter how careful I am. I will just tread lightly until I can secure a line I think will produce fur and allow me to trap without bumping anyone. Thanks for the reply's.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  akntrpr, Ol' Blister, otterman