Lure and Bait Making

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Southern Snares
Please support our sponsor for the Lure and Bait makers forum - Southern Snares

Print Thread
Hop To
lure ????? #6112242
01/03/18 11:04 PM
01/03/18 11:04 PM
culloden ga
B
bdrooks Offline OP
trapper
bdrooks  Offline OP
trapper
B

culloden ga
i have some bait/lure that I made that is loosing its punch after about 3 days. is there anything that can be added to it to make it still have a punch or pop for longer?
the stuff I made is a deer brain base and most of the activity on it seems to be be within the first 2 or 3 days after that the critters don't seem as interested in it. will 100% alcohol help it keep that punch longer or not at all?

if it walks swims or flies im after it
Re: lure ????? [Re: bdrooks] #6113284
01/04/18 07:20 PM
01/04/18 07:20 PM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
need more info...
Is it bait (foody) or lure (glandy)?
What fixitives did you use?

I'll stop there, but their's even more we need to know to help best......just go a few at a time.

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Re: lure ????? [Re: bdrooks] #6113564
01/04/18 10:02 PM
01/04/18 10:02 PM
culloden ga
B
bdrooks Offline OP
trapper
bdrooks  Offline OP
trapper
B

culloden ga
ok this is the first year that I have attempted to make and us anything.
I scooped out a few deer brains and mixed a little beaver tail oil and a touch of castor. mixed sodium benzoate in to keep it from going bad.
I have noticed that the first three days that the coyotes will dig for it or I think they do they are caught. but after about the 4th day there seems to be a few tracks passing by. I know there are so many reasons for them to not work a set but just wondering if there is anything I can do to boost the smell a little more

Re: lure ????? [Re: bdrooks] #6113664
01/04/18 10:50 PM
01/04/18 10:50 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
Boosting any odor is not the problem. If the product is working you will get visitation. Whether they commit to work a set is another scenario. Classic predator reaction at times.

Add a different looking set blended well use a marking scent or a few drops of urine to the marker. Then see what happens.

Re: lure ????? [Re: bdrooks] #6113941
01/05/18 08:08 AM
01/05/18 08:08 AM
culloden ga
B
bdrooks Offline OP
trapper
bdrooks  Offline OP
trapper
B

culloden ga
yes I am catching them in flat sets 10 foot away using other smells just fine. I recon I should have completely reworded my first statement. I'm catching coyotes and most everything else just trying to see if there is anything I can add to the bait. I am not trying to change the smell if I can but enhance it.

thaks for the help I will keep tinkering around with it

Re: lure ????? [Re: Bob Jameson] #6114067
01/05/18 10:16 AM
01/05/18 10:16 AM
S.W. Michigan
L
late bite Offline
trapper
late bite  Offline
trapper
L

S.W. Michigan
Originally Posted By: Bob Jameson
Boosting any odor is not the problem. If the product is working you will get visitation. Whether they commit to work a set is another scenario. Classic predator reaction at times.

Add a different looking set blended well use a marking scent or a few drops of urine to the marker. Then see what happens.

Bob, your marking scent was a killer on my line this year!!!!!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91