Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Skunk Question #6120960
01/10/18 10:18 PM
01/10/18 10:18 PM
missouri
M
meat eater Offline OP
trapper
meat eater  Offline OP
trapper
M

missouri
Ok stupid question, how do you all handle a skunk in a trap without getting sprayed? I haven't caught one yet, but its only a matter of time, my plan was to dispatch it from a distance, upwind and leave it lay for a day or two, unless you all can give me better advice.

Last edited by meat eater; 01/10/18 10:43 PM.
Re: Skunk Question [Re: meat eater] #6120987
01/10/18 10:32 PM
01/10/18 10:32 PM
East of the Mason-Dixon Line
DelawareRob Offline
trapper
DelawareRob  Offline
trapper

East of the Mason-Dixon Line
No need to leave it lay, if it doesn’t spray.

Don’t want to discuss dispatch on open forum.

Move slowly and don’t rush, stay up wind just to be safe. People who have forgotten more than I’ve learned will be along to clarify and give better advice.

Good luck!

Pm sent

Who is John Galt?

You don't rise to the occasion, you fall to the level of your training.

Semper Paratus
Re: Skunk Question [Re: meat eater] #6121296
01/11/18 09:35 AM
01/11/18 09:35 AM
Idaho, Lemhi County
G
Gulo Offline
"On The Other Hand"
Gulo  Offline
"On The Other Hand"
G

Idaho, Lemhi County
No matter the method of dispatch, and regardless of whether they spray, keep the components with you for skunk spray (dish soap, peroxide, baking soda). Even if they don't spray, they still smell like skunks. Once they are dispatched, liberally spray 'em down and let 'em sit for ten minutes. Wash 'em off with water, and viola!, no stink remaining.

Jack

Re: Skunk Question [Re: meat eater] #6121311
01/11/18 09:54 AM
01/11/18 09:54 AM
PA
R
RKG Offline
trapper
RKG  Offline
trapper
R

PA
Skunks are more of a "mental" problem than a physical one. I remember before I caught any, I was deathly afraid of all of the "what ifs". Now, I enjoy catching them. Caught one this am in fact. Yeah, they have a smell, but you kinda get used to it.

So, once you have one in a trap, you need to assess your situation. It may have already sprayed. You'll know. It may spray during harvest. You'll know. It may not spray at all. Sweet! You can collect all the juice!!

In any case, you read the situation and act accordingly. If it smells too bad, it will be there later. To be honest, I've never left one. I've thrown away several pairs of gloves, but that's no big deal.

Don't overthink it. I was paranoid about a lot stuff till I did it - releasing bobcats, using drags, harvesting skunk essence. You figure it out and then it's not so bad.

Re: Skunk Question [Re: meat eater] #6121462
01/11/18 12:40 PM
01/11/18 12:40 PM
Hollywood, MD
W
wvboy10 Offline
trapper
wvboy10  Offline
trapper
W

Hollywood, MD
Skunks are easy even if they do spray. Think of dispatch like you would for a broadside deer. My first skunk sprayed while I was downwind at 10 yds. Didn't take long for me to realize my mistake. Give it an hour and take the skunk directly to a bucket with 1 qt of peroxide, 1/4cup bAking soda and 1 Tbs of dish washing liquid. Scrub him up good and rinse. No smell! Just be careful skinning around vent and when pulling tail.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91