Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

ATS
(Please support Ted's Fur Shed, our sponsor for the Wilderness Page)

Alaska Trappers Association

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Sitka or Juneau: Which would you move to? [Re: Pete in Frbks] #6121397
01/11/18 11:18 AM
01/11/18 11:18 AM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
white17  Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
W

McGrath, AK
Originally Posted By: Pete in Frbks
Originally Posted By: KenaiKid
Can you tell, we’re VERY proud of our capital?? laugh

Juneau is probably the most liberal town, by capita, in Alaska.

Sitka is not exactly the world wide headquarters of the John Birch Society and I think Breitbart News is banned from the library there...!

Pete

I was in the library in Haines many years ago and they did in fact have Trapperman blocked !

Mean As Nails
Re: Sitka or Juneau: Which would you move to? [Re: Oreamnos] #6121451
01/11/18 12:23 PM
01/11/18 12:23 PM
AK
T
Tradbow1 Offline
trapper
Tradbow1  Offline
trapper
T

AK
Sitka freshwater in town is very low. Indian has dollies and a rare steelie. The first 100 yds below the small ‘dam’ is a fun spot for dollies. Spring dollies in the salt is a blast. . We had a spot on hpr we liked fishing in the salt close to the sea mart .

Steelies are fly out. Sitkoh is or was a pretty sweet steelie fisherie. Its up in hoona sound, chatham side on chichagof Theres a cabin. But you teally need to venture up river. Its not the situk numbers wise but it has been good. That said numbers are dropping.

Theres fish out by the old sawmill. I was told steelies, but never turned or stuck one

Theres some sweet saltwater sight fishing kings in the back of sawmill. When i was done skippering (or had the rare day off) i would go back and have some fun on the 10wt. Destroyed a system 2 10/11 one summer lots of fun!!!

You can have a serious good time fly rodding black rockfish. They taste good fried up as well!

I would prepare for saltwater!!!!

Oh there is blue sharks in august! They will eagerly eat a fly!!!! Or anything else haha! You'll have to get off the cape (edgcumb or pt amelia were good as was behind biorka) for them though. If u go for halibut try and chum a shark in. There is salmon sharks as well. Youll want a lot more than a 10wt lol. Heck i dont know if a salmon shark would take a fly or not. They do like stinky pinkies haha. Theres nothing in this state that pulls like a salmon shark (other than maybe a humpback)!!!! I caught them on halibut sticks.

I was just looking at charter pics a few nights ago. Dang those were good days!!

If you ever get the chance to fish cape omni or run to port alexander. Jump all over it. The cape is an amazing fishery! Its where chatham dumps into the ocean. Watch the tides, she moves bigtime here. But fish are shallow and biiiiiig!!

The farlons? are another must do. Look at the islands west of coronation island. Its way out there. But the fishings unreal!!!! I spent a summer guiding in port alexander. Absolutely amazing in every way!!!!

Last edited by Tradbow1; 01/11/18 12:31 PM.
Re: Sitka or Juneau: Which would you move to? [Re: Oreamnos] #6121473
01/11/18 12:49 PM
01/11/18 12:49 PM
juneau, alaska
A
alaska viking Offline
"Made it two years not being censored"
alaska viking  Offline
"Made it two years not being censored"
A

juneau, alaska
Well, they ARE possible....

Made it almost 3 years without censor!

Re: Sitka or Juneau: Which would you move to? [Re: Oreamnos] #6121877
01/11/18 08:07 PM
01/11/18 08:07 PM
SE AK
A
adkbrookie Offline
trapper
adkbrookie  Offline
trapper
A

SE AK
Just FYI, Sitka float plane charters are not something I would count on for recreation. That realm is in flux with no accurate outlook. Juneau flight services seem to have it together.

Re: Sitka or Juneau: Which would you move to? [Re: Oreamnos] #6121990
01/11/18 09:31 PM
01/11/18 09:31 PM
Alaska
P
piperniner Offline
trapper
piperniner  Offline
trapper
P

Alaska
Can't count on them for lodge charter or e.a.s. either. As you say - no accurate outlook. The new state wide conservative flight philosophy ( justified or not ) adds a new wrinkle as well.

Re: Sitka or Juneau: Which would you move to? [Re: white17] #6122281
01/12/18 02:43 AM
01/12/18 02:43 AM
Kenai AK
K
KenaiKid Offline
trapper
KenaiKid  Offline
trapper
K

Kenai AK

Originally Posted By: white17
Originally Posted By: Pete in Frbks

Sitka is not exactly the world wide headquarters of the John Birch Society and I think Breitbart News is banned from the library there...!

Pete

I was in the library in Haines many years ago and they did in fact have Trapperman blocked !

Yeah, that just a guess. Heck I share this peninsula with Homer and Girdwood! Of course there are good eggs in every basket too, but the rotten ones often seem to gravitate toward the illusion of power- i.e. the capital.

Originally Posted by Dirt
Originally Posted by Rat Masterson
Boco couldn't catch a cold.

But if he did, it would be Top Lot.
Re: Sitka or Juneau: Which would you move to? [Re: Oreamnos] #6125809
01/15/18 09:32 AM
01/15/18 09:32 AM
caro,michigan
C
chucky22250 Offline
trapper
chucky22250  Offline