No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Spanking children, I'll never to it again #6132623
01/20/18 11:35 PM
01/20/18 11:35 PM
east TN, USA
harleydparts Offline OP
trapper
harleydparts  Offline OP
trapper

east TN, USA
I will never ever spank a child again. Not ever for any reason.
Five days ago my wife Susan, my granddaughter Maggie and I were in a Krogers, Maggie was riding in the buggy with Nana pushing it, I ran down an aisle to grab something and when I got back to the buggy Maggie said "I want out of this buggy". I picked her up and my wife told me "I told her she couldn't get out". Now playing a parent or grandparent one against another has always been a huge sin in our world. I said "Maggie, you asked Nana then played me?" I smacked her on the butt. She started crying, it doesn't take much of a swat on the butt from papaw to break Maggie's heart. "No Papaw, I didn't ask you to, I just wanted out of the buggy". "what?" "Papaw I didn't ask you after Nana told me no I thought you'd ask Nana" oh good Jesus, what have I done. I stopped right there and told her how I'd screwed up and asked her to forgive me. "I forgive you Papaw, I love you", with tears running down her cheeks.
So what did I teach my beloved granddaughter that day? That cause I was bigger and stronger than her I could beat her up? That a person she should have been able to trust betrayed that trust? There was no need for it, all of my grandchildren have always known my disapproval just by my looks and have always wanted to please me. Maggie is probably over it but nightmares have kept me awake these last five nights. I will never spank a child again.

Not as bad as I could be, not as good as I should be.
Re: Spanking children, I'll never to it again [Re: harleydparts] #6132642
01/20/18 11:55 PM
01/20/18 11:55 PM
eastern shore of Maryland
gwc Offline
trapper
gwc  Offline
trapper

eastern shore of Maryland
I feel for you.I got my share of spankings growing up,and looking back i needed them.I completely support spankings but with my own,iv spanked them very little.Iv always just been able to look at them or say something and they act right.And we get regular compliments on how our kids behave.I think every child is different.

Last edited by gwc; 01/20/18 11:56 PM.

Garey's Window Cleaning

New or Used MB 450s Wanted,PM me

Re: Spanking children, I'll never to it again [Re: harleydparts] #6132677
01/21/18 12:23 AM
01/21/18 12:23 AM
MB
J
Jurassic Park Offline
trapper
Jurassic Park  Offline
trapper
J

MB
Originally Posted By: harleydparts
I will never ever spank a child again. Not ever for any reason.
Five days ago my wife Susan, my granddaughter Maggie and I were in a Krogers, Maggie was riding in the buggy with Nana pushing it, I ran down an aisle to grab something and when I got back to the buggy Maggie said "I want out of this buggy". I picked her up and my wife told me "I told her she couldn't get out". Now playing a parent or grandparent one against another has always been a huge sin in our world. I said "Maggie, you asked Nana then played me?" I smacked her on the butt. She started crying, it doesn't take much of a swat on the butt from papaw to break Maggie's heart. "No Papaw, I didn't ask you to, I just wanted out of the buggy". "what?" "Papaw I didn't ask you after Nana told me no I thought you'd ask Nana" oh good Jesus, what have I done. I stopped right there and told her how I'd screwed up and asked her to forgive me. "I forgive you Papaw, I love you", with tears running down her cheeks.
So what did I teach my beloved granddaughter that day? That cause I was bigger and stronger than her I could beat her up? That a person she should have been able to trust betrayed that trust? There was no need for it, all of my grandchildren have always known my disapproval just by my looks and have always wanted to please me. Maggie is probably over it but nightmares have kept me awake these last five nights. I will never spank a child again.

GOOD! No need for you to be spanking other people’s kids in the first place.

Cold as ice!
Re: Spanking children, I'll never to it again [Re: harleydparts] #6132688
01/21/18 12:34 AM
01/21/18 12:34 AM
NC, Pisgha forest
Z
Zach aka trapper Offline
trapper
Zach aka trapper  Offline
trapper
Z

NC, Pisgha forest
My dad All ways just looked at me and I new. Remember Jurassic that sometimes grandparents play a different role than in other situations. Don't worry Harley she obviously thinks the world of you, just apoligizeing tought her that adults can do wrong and that they do need to apologize at times. You might have tought her a different lesson than you realize

Last edited by Zach aka trapper; 01/21/18 12:35 AM.

Proud WNC native
Re: Spanking children, I'll never to it again [Re: harleydparts] #6132709
01/21/18 01:13 AM
01/21/18 01:13 AM
Southern Illinois
I
ilbucksndux Offline
trapper
ilbucksndux  Offline
trapper
I

Southern Illinois
I cant comment about your situation but I feel that some kids need some reinforcement. My wife and I got married 10 years ago. Her son was 5. I had two boys one 5 and one 7. Her kid was Satan's spawn. He didnt listen to anyone or anything.One day he climbed on the top of my new truck and was dumping buckets of dirt on it. I wipped his but and told him to never do that again. He listened to everything I said for about 6 months until grandma and grandpa(wife's parents) saw me swat his butt one day and it was WW3. We had a chat about it and decided that they could raise him whatever way they wanted and I would raise my kids my way. Now my wife and I have a son of our own and the other boys are 17,17,19. My boys do good in school and both have full time jobs. They do what they are told when they are told. My step son has never listened to anyone since he was about 8. Now he runs around,never comes home on time,if he comes home at all. Does terrible in school. Cant keep a job more than 2 weeks cause he dont show up, I could go on and on.

Bottom line is I feel like kids need to know that if you mess up there are consequences

Gary Bartlow
Re: Spanking children, I'll never to it again [Re: harleydparts] #6132716
01/21/18 01:22 AM
01/21/18 01:22 AM
Kansas
Pawnee Offline
trapper
Pawnee  Offline
trapper

Kansas
We have all been there one way or the other. I’ve messed up plenty of times as a Dad . When I realize it i tell them Dad messes up, I’m sorry. Big people make mistakes just like little people.

Last edited by Pawnee; 01/21/18 01:23 AM.

Everything the left touches it destroys
Re: Spanking children, I'll never to it again [Re: harleydparts] #6132727
01/21/18 01:36 AM
01/21/18 01:36 AM
North East Kansas
Marty Offline
trapper
Marty  Offline
trapper

North East Kansas
Spare the rod and spoil the child... smile

E
'Honey Badger Militia'
Sleep, the anti woke adote.
Re: Spanking children, I'll never to it again [Re: harleydparts] #6132758
01/21/18 02:39 AM
01/21/18 02:39 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
I have 8 Grandkids now all under 7, I'll tell you this...There is a time and a place (on the butt) for a corrective swat, some kids need it, some do not. I don't count to 3 with them they'll always wait till just past 2.8 before responding. If they're faced with Danger ...road, electric fence or other sinerio they need to obey immediately not wait.

Re: Spanking children, I'll never to it again [Re: harleydparts] #6132761
01/21/18 02:51 AM
01/21/18 02:51 AM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
Boy, that little girl played you BIG TIME, hahahaha

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: Spanking children, I'll never to it again [Re: harleydparts] #6132765
01/21/18 02:56 AM
01/21/18 02:56 AM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
When I was about 7 I was a terror. I went one day into the grocery store with my grandfather. We went through the aisles picking out stuff, and he of course bought most of what I asked for... but one item he said no about. I have no clue what that item was now.... but on the way out of the store I threw a tantrum, lol. Right in the entryway, between the two electric doors, my grandfather whooped my butt. It was the first, and only time, I'd ever been thrashed. But boy, did I never forget it... and I respected my grandfather sooooo much for doing it. My mom was a pushover, and to this day I regret that she never laid down the law. But as I grew older I learned to love and respect my Grandfather so much more, for whipping my butt that day, because I sure needed it... Often I think back about how much better I might have turned out, had I been raised right.

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: Spanking children, I'll never to it again [Re: Zach aka trapper] #6132767
01/21/18 03:01 AM
01/21/18 03:01 AM
Michigan
D
Ditchdiver Offline
trapper
Ditchdiver  Offline
trapper
D

Michigan
Originally Posted By: Zach aka trapper
My dad All ways just looked at me and I new. Remember Jurassic that sometimes grandparents play a different role than in other situations. Don't worry Harley she obviously thinks the world of you, just apoligizeing tought her that adults can do wrong and that they do need to apologize at times. You might have tought her a different lesson than you realize
Great response, Zach!
I spank my kids when they need it. I apologise when I'm wrong too. I think more kids should be spanked. All this "time out" and "you'll lose your video games" crap doesn't work, just look around or watch the news.

When life gets me down..... you know hunting/trapping season is closed.
Re: Spanking children, I'll never to it again [Re: harleydparts] #6132772
01/21/18 03:40 AM
01/21/18 03:40 AM
Northeast Oklahoma
M
Mike in A-town Offline
trapper
Mike in A-town  Offline
trapper
M

Northeast Oklahoma
I got some good spankings when I was a kid. But I didn't get very many. It's like touching something hot... Doesn't take too many times to catch on.

I can only remember one time that I got a spanking and didn't "deserve" it for the reason given by my dad... Yet I lived. And the world still turns... I probably deserved it anyway for some reason he wasn't aware of. Lol

Mike

One man with a gun may control 100 others who have none.

Vladimir Lenin
Re: Spanking children, I'll never to it again [Re: harleydparts] #6132797
01/21/18 07:01 AM
01/21/18 07:01 AM

J
JOCO1995
Unregistered
JOCO1995
Unregistered
J

My brothers and I got so many belt whippings growing up they started putting books in their pants to catch some of the force lol. The day they laughed at Dad during a whipping and he found the books was not good for them.

Re: Spanking children, I'll never to it again [Re: harleydparts] #6132823
01/21/18 08:10 AM
01/21/18 08:10 AM
Southaest Kansas
C
Coyote Clayton Offline
trapper
Coyote Clayton  Offline
trapper
C

Southaest Kansas
Please stop posting.

Praise the Lord and Pass the ammunition.
Re: Spanking children, I'll never to it again [Re: yotetrapper30] #6132836
01/21/18 08:45 AM
01/21/18 08:45 AM
Kansas
S
Sac Creek Offline
trapper
Sac Creek  Offline
trapper
S

Kansas
Originally Posted By: yotetrapper30
. Often I think back about how much better I might have turned out, had I been raised right.

I don’t know you personally but have “known” you a long time on here. You have a heart the size of Texas so I believe you turned out great.

Great story, I never have spanked my grandkids, I just get after them and they straighten up quickly.

Re: Spanking children, I'll never to it again [Re: harleydparts] #6132839
01/21/18 08:53 AM
01/21/18 08:53 AM
Three Lakes,WI 72
C
corky Offline
trapper
corky  Offline
trapper
C

Three Lakes,WI 72
I suppose I'm living in the past but it seems to me that society was much better off when adults were not ashamed to constructively discipline children by physical means if necessary.

Re: Spanking children, I'll never to it again [Re: harleydparts] #6132843
01/21/18 08:56 AM
01/21/18 08:56 AM
PA
G
gryhkl Offline
trapper
gryhkl  Offline
trapper
G

PA
Tell the kid your sorry and GET OVER IT, I'm sure the kid has.
I believe more children have been ruined because of a lack of discipline than because of parental abuse. Abuse and discipline are very, very different.

Re: Spanking children, I'll never to it again [Re: harleydparts] #6132849
01/21/18 09:02 AM
01/21/18 09:02 AM
Central IA
TRapper Offline
trapper
TRapper  Offline
trapper

Central IA
We spank in this house...my mom n dad passed down the little rod they used on me for us to use for our boys.

I will share another tool..apple cider vinegar. It is very healthy but doesnt taste good by itself. When our boys talk back or swear...they get a tablespoon of it. It quickly resolves those situations

Re: Spanking children, I'll never to it again [Re: harleydparts] #6132860
01/21/18 09:08 AM
01/21/18 09:08 AM
S.E. Ohio
M
M.Magis Offline
trapper
M.Magis  Offline
trapper
M

S.E. Ohio
I see the strangest threads here. I always wonder how many are real and how many are trolling for arguments.

Re: Spanking children, I'll never to it again [Re: harleydparts] #6132939
01/21/18 10:45 AM
01/21/18 10:45 AM
Wright county, Minnesota
Birch Tree Offline
trapper
Birch Tree  Offline
trapper

Wright county, Minnesota
That situation gives you nightmares? Just wow, seriously? I am a father of 2, my son is almost 3 and a half years old and while I make mistakes I own up to them by sitting down with him and hugging him and explaining to him that daddy made a mistake and that I am sorry and I will do better next time (there is always a next time with small children). I only spank when it is truly needed, since I was abused as a child I am very careful about when and how I punish my children. I will never have a hard time sleeping over a mistake as small as that because it is better to use every mistake as a teaching moment for both you and the child!

Mark Skokan, Buffalo MN.

MTA and NTA Member.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread