ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Catching that one problem coyote!( #6194217
03/20/18 10:36 PM
03/20/18 10:36 PM
Oregon
C
clulay21 Offline OP
trapper
clulay21  Offline OP
trapper
C

Oregon
I thought I would make a post with tips and strategys for catching that problem coyote ( you know the one, it's the one that's been keeping you up at night, the one that causes 10 pm phone calls, the one that no matter what you do he seems to slip through the cracks and the one that you wish you could just get caught). As a adc guy I have experienced this more than once . It has happened because of my own skills and because of other people's skills. Everyone has educated a coyote before. I would like to list some ways to help myself and others be more educated in them. Please comment if you have any info pertinent to this.

When I get an educated one I try and get there at first light and locate them, may be a mile or 2 away methods may include howling, glassing, i also rely on the owner of the property more often than not their there all day. If I can locate them away from the problem area I try and set 1 trap a very subtle set. Do not lure for 2 days. Let everything get settled in than lure it with something you haven't used in that area. Nothing too strong and curiousity type lures. It will produce.

When calling everyone tends to use the ol rabbit distress call. Try and use a fawn in distress played low volume. Or a woodpecker. Or a flock of ravens. At this point you got nothing to lose. So why not try it.

Of course a good ol trapline dog can come in handy. Rely on him. When he's trotting along and turns on a dime and takes a leak on a tuft of grass set on it. No lure required!!He will help locate posts made by that grizzly ol male don't be afraid of your dog peeing on everything. Especially during denning season.

Also a good trapline dog when calling is worth his weight in dog food. He will certainly help lure in an ol dog that just seems to want to hang up outta range. Especially in late winter and spring. Be forewarned if your dog isn't cut the coyotes will certainly try and help him be.

Follow the sign. Cherry pick the top off then work for the tough ones. Don't be afraid to ask the neighbors if you can work there ground.

Be patient and don't let them get the best of you. I have lost sleep many nights over these. Just remember what would a ol coyote do in this situation and try and cut him off.

Hope this helps and please feel free to chime in with some more info.

Re: Catching that one problem coyote!( [Re: clulay21] #6194971
03/21/18 05:10 PM
03/21/18 05:10 PM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Offline
trapper
BigBob  Offline
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
Good advice. You mentioned that grizzly ol' male, what about that Ol' male Grizzly? LOL Crikey!

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Re: Catching that one problem coyote!( [Re: clulay21] #6195096
03/21/18 07:03 PM
03/21/18 07:03 PM
Louisiana
AirportTrapper Online content
trapper
AirportTrapper  Online Content
trapper

Louisiana
I hang cable.

If it makes a track on this earth , I can catch it.
Re: Catching that one problem coyote!( [Re: clulay21] #6197756
03/24/18 10:35 AM
03/24/18 10:35 AM
Chauncey, Ohio
W
wormbobskey Offline
trapper
wormbobskey  Offline
trapper
W

Chauncey, Ohio
I'll be watching this thread. I got a call about a brave coyote coming close to a small private daycare play ground. The area wasn't very big, maybe 5 acers with most of it scrub except for the mowed playground and side yard. It had trails bush hogged through the scrub so the owner could get to his tree stand at the back side of the property. I scouted out the area. The owners had a couple of deer feeders in the back yard outside the fenced playground, I'm guessing so the kids could see the deer eating. Of course it attracted everything, including coyotes looking for a free meal. I found scat and tracks so I set some flat sets and made a urine post set down as far away from the feeders as I could get. I caught everything but coyotes in those sets. If there wasn't so many deer coming into the feeders I would have hung snares on the trails in the brush, but I knew I would have caught deer and that's the last thing I wanted to do.
Like I said, I'll be watching to see what you all come up with.

OSTA
Lanums ADC & Repair
We don't do bugs
Re: Catching that one problem coyote!( [Re: clulay21] #6198107
03/24/18 04:03 PM
03/24/18 04:03 PM
Louisiana
trapper
trapper

Louisiana
You can hang snares in deer trails and not catch deer. It's about how and where you set.

Blind sets will work in place of snares. If I get a problem yote I will catch him in his comfort zone.

Re: Catching that one problem coyote!( [Re: clulay21] #6201393
03/27/18 11:32 PM
03/27/18 11:32 PM
North ga
C
Coyotejody1979 Offline
trapper
Coyotejody1979  Offline
trapper
C

North ga
Can u elaborate on avoiding deer in snares please?

Re: Catching that one problem coyote!( [Re: clulay21] #6201589
03/28/18 10:25 AM
03/28/18 10:25 AM
New York
Jim Comstock Offline
trapper
Jim Comstock  Offline
trapper

New York
If you are fortunate enough to have a travel pattern of some sort you might be able to put in a trail set or two with a foothold, no lure, no bait, no urine. Years ago in trail setting bobcats we picked up quite a few coyotes, including a smart one that was lost the year before by the government trapper. Had a coyote passing close to houses in a residential neighborhood last year between the house and a pond. I improved the trail a bit and got him in two nights in a trail set.

Re: Catching that one problem coyote!( [Re: Coyotejody1979] #6201611
03/28/18 10:47 AM
03/28/18 10:47 AM
Louisiana
trapper
trapper

Louisiana
Originally Posted By: Coyotejody1979
Can u elaborate on avoiding deer in snares please?

Stay away from "jump sticks" as young deer will usually duck into the snare.
Set the snare so the deer can brush past without knocking it down.
Find places where coyotes cut corners.
Simple things like that.

Re: Catching that one problem coyote!( [Re: clulay21] #6208150
04/04/18 03:51 PM
04/04/18 03:51 PM
Oregon
C
clulay21 Offline OP
trapper
clulay21  Offline OP
trapper
C

Oregon
ANOTher good method to avoid catching deer in snares. Is if you got it find a log. 18” or bigger. 2-3 ft is even better. Hang snares on top of log like if a coyote was to run on top of log. Then take some carcasses and stash them around log on the sides. Coyotes can’t resist getting up on them logs and walking them to get a better look at things.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread