No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Wi Conservation Congress [Re: AJE] #6217664
04/15/18 12:16 AM
Wisconsin
M
Moosetrot Offline
trapper
Moosetrot  Offline
trapper
M

Wisconsin
Yep!

Moosetrot

Re: Wi Conservation Congress [Re: Moosetrot] #6217665
WI
WIMarshRAT Offline
trapper
WIMarshRAT  Offline
trapper

WI
Originally Posted By: Moosetrot
Originally Posted By: nimzy
And by the time question 32 was read 90% of the Fond du Lac County crowd had left.

...and had probably voted.

Moosetrot

Why is this a problem? Would any of you changed your vote on it based on what was said in the room? I wasn't.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain!
Re: Wi Conservation Congress [Re: The Beav] #6217666
WI - Wisconsin
A
AJE Offline OP
trapper
AJE  Offline OP
trapper
A

WI - Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: The Beav

Online participation would end up In all kinds of voter fraud. The antis would be all over this In heart beat.
I, too, question how they would keep anti's from taking over.

Re: Wi Conservation Congress [Re: WIMarshRAT] #6217670
04/15/18 12:19 AM
WI - Wisconsin
A
AJE Offline OP
trapper
AJE  Offline OP
trapper
A

WI - Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: WIMarshRAT
Would any of you changed your vote on it based on what was said in the room? I wasn't.

Here's what I stated above:
"Some of the comments from concerned citizens swayed how I voted on certain questions."
Maybe I'm the exception though. We just really had a lot of good discussion at our meeting. It's a good chance to listen to other viewpoints and learn.
I, along with our WTA county rep, stood up and spoke in support of several of the trapping questions. I would like to think it made a difference.

Last edited by AJE; 04/15/18 12:21 AM.
Re: Wi Conservation Congress [Re: AJE] #6217671
WI
WIMarshRAT Offline
trapper
WIMarshRAT  Offline
trapper

WI
Originally Posted By: AJE
The CDAC meeting draws very lousy attendance in my county. 2 meetings ago I was literally the only member of the public in attendance. Maybe Wisconsinites don't care anymore, I don't know. It'd be interesting to know if WDNR gets many responses to the online CDAC survey.

It is up this year, but still not as high as it should be. He only had a couple folks in my county show up. Here is a link to the public comments.

https://dnr.wi.gov/topic/hunt/documents/DMU-report.pdf

Last edited by WIMarshRAT; 04/15/18 12:20 AM.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain!
Re: Wi Conservation Congress [Re: WIMarshRAT] #6217678
04/15/18 12:26 AM
04/15/18 12:26 AM
Wisconsin
M
Moosetrot Offline
trapper
Moosetrot  Offline
trapper
M

Wisconsin

Why is this a problem? Would any of you changed your vote on it based on what was said in the room? I wasn't. [/quote]

Absolutely!!!!! Many times I have changed the way I was going to vote based upon hearing the discussion from someone who actually knew what they are talking about. At least I had the opportunity to hear the discussion to weigh the sides of an issue and vote accordingly.

'Nuff said. G'night.

Moosetrot

Last edited by Moosetrot; 04/15/18 12:27 AM.
Re: Wi Conservation Congress [Re: AJE] #6217679
04/15/18 12:28 AM
04/15/18 12:28 AM
WI - Wisconsin
A
AJE Offline OP
trapper
AJE  Offline OP
trapper
A

WI - Wisconsin
I wonder if DNR is pushing for online voting. They'd probably prefer to not have to spend the night at the congress meeting.

Re: Wi Conservation Congress [Re: AJE] #6217686
04/15/18 12:38 AM
04/15/18 12:38 AM
WI
WIMarshRAT Offline
trapper
WIMarshRAT  Offline
trapper

WI
AJE, that was directed at Nimzy. Would he change his vote at that point? Both of us were authors of resolutions that lead to question 32. I won't speak for Nimzy, but it would of taken an act of God to change my mind on that question on that night. Is that a bad thing? In reality, wouldn't that be the best case scenario?

Re: Wi Conservation Congress [Re: AJE] #6217688
04/15/18 12:49 AM
04/15/18 12:49 AM
WI
N
nimzy Offline
trapper
nimzy  Offline
trapper
N

WI
It was about our ability to influence others. It’s difficult to do once they leave. I have but one vote grin

Re: Wi Conservation Congress [Re: AJE] #6217694
04/15/18 01:06 AM
04/15/18 01:06 AM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
But If they are doing It online you can't influence anyone.
Can you Imagine what a few antis could do with the use of social media. We the consumptive users would be hung out to dry In a heart beat.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: Wi Conservation Congress [Re: The Beav] #6217789
04/15/18 07:45 AM
04/15/18 07:45 AM
Wisconsin
Muskrat Offline
trapper
Muskrat  Offline
trapper

Wisconsin
Can you Imagine what a few antis could do with the use of social media. We the consumptive users would be hung out to dry In a heart beat.

X2

Re: Wi Conservation Congress [Re: The Beav] #6217864
04/15/18 09:05 AM
04/15/18 09:05 AM
WI
WIMarshRAT Offline
trapper
WIMarshRAT  Offline
trapper

WI

Interesting theory. As Nimzy noted, you are already losing your ability to influence at the meeting as the majority have voted by the time the question comes up. Would elections and new resolutions be exception?

But what keeps you from influencing them now before the meeting? Isn't it already happening? Why did so many crossbow supporters show up?

Re: Wi Conservation Congress [Re: AJE] #6217999
04/15/18 11:13 AM
04/15/18 11:13 AM
La Crosse, WI
Macthediver Offline
trapper
Macthediver  Offline
trapper

La Crosse, WI
You only need to look at the crossing the rail road track issue here on the west side of the state, to see how online voting would hurt individual counties.
So people are basically lazy and don't take time to go to there county meeting get local input on a topic. Unless there is a hot button issue for them as a individual user. Like us folks here along the river and the rail track issue. Locally big issue for some people, most don't care. It has to be changed at state or national level. People who don't have a local, state or even national concern on a topic. Their not even going to go to a county meeting to see what concerns the locals have on a topic. Pretty sure they'd be more than happy though when the news announces and up coming online vote. To just pop on line and put the finger on a yes or no key.
I used to get pretty bored at the meetings years ago with the round and round talk on some topics, I had no interest in. Dove hunt comes to mind with lots of faces never seen before at our county meeting. Years ago when we had to sit there and raise our hands to vote. You had to wait your turn sit threw all the other BS to get to that one vote you wanted to make. But then people felt intimidated having to raise their hands in a crowd, wait so long to vote. Enter stream lining the vote to paper ballot shorting meeting time, clean things up. Less confrontation..Yes I'll admit I like being able to read ahead and I mark some votes before the discussion has been had. During the old hand votes though I remember seeing people clearly anti's. Vote No on any issue that made things better, easier or added things for outdoor users. Didn't matter the content of discussion pro or con.
In fairness to those folks they were passionate enough to be there and raise their hand have their say. You got to respect that and especially as it applies to a local issue..
I'm probably and odd duck with the voting thing. But I don't always vote on every question. If the locals in some county think they should have a 10 fish limit blue gills on some lake I'm never going to fish. I skip that question let the locals that want or don't want it vote. Not cancel some local persons vote with my yes or no.
Anyway you take the vote online. You lose even more local voice.
When I created the cat fiasco to which Moosetrot got up and spoke on my behalf. While I was hiding in the crowd under death threats. Lot of things became clear to me about this voting thing. When I'd get calls from the media or haters. One thing I'd ask them. Did you read my proposal? Most times answer was no. They only knew they hated me and were against what I proposed.. Even though they had no idea what that was..
I had made my proposal and had it voted down I believe twice, at the local level with crowd laughing. That was at least two years I messed with it and I'm not sure that was two years in a row I don't recall now. When I proposed it the second time and the vote was again a no. The local district warden supervisor talked with me about approaching the subject differently. The next year I wrote it the way he suggested and the vote passed locally without a giggle... Bring it state wide the next year.
Take the vote on line..never would have brought that issue to light. It died and really was a mess for me personally. But I can say I've seen change in how the subject of feral cats is looked at nation wide.
So for me I would never want conservation congress vote to go on line. I wouldn't mind they went back to raise your hand be counted. Dip your finger in the purple dye so you can't vote twice.
I do recall one of the wardens telling me many years ago. If the anti's every got organized enough they could take over and control those meetings. I even heard anti's at meetings stand up and complain they had no voice there they were out numbered..
Give them online voting probably be just that voice, numbers, Control they want.

JMTCW

Mac

"Never Forget Which Way Is Up"

Re: Wi Conservation Congress [Re: Muskrat] #6218051
04/15/18 11:55 AM
04/15/18 11:55 AM
chelsea,wi
keets Offline
trapper
keets  Offline
trapper

chelsea,wi
Originally Posted By: Muskrat
[quote=The Beav]But If they are doing It online you can't influence anyone.

X2 [/

XXX3quote]

2021 goals....make time to trap
PROUD MEMBER WTA NTA FTA GOA SPORTSMANS ALLIANCE
Re: Wi Conservation Congress [Re: AJE] #6218054
04/15/18 11:57 AM
04/15/18 11:57 AM
chelsea,wi
keets Offline
trapper
keets  Offline
trapper

chelsea,wi
on question 32, guys I talked to don't want southern trappers up here hammering away before their season, and after their season

2021 goals....make time to trap
PROUD MEMBER WTA NTA FTA GOA SPORTSMANS ALLIANCE
Re: Wi Conservation Congress [Re: keets] #6218079
04/15/18 12:33 PM
04/15/18 12:33 PM
WI
H
handitrapper Offline
trapper
handitrapper  Offline
trapper
H

WI
Originally Posted By: keets
on question 32, guys I talked to don't want southern trappers up here hammering away before their season, and after their season

Why do you think we went to the statewide season? Not that I agree.

Re: Wi Conservation Congress [Re: handitrapper] #6218090
04/15/18 12:51 PM
04/15/18 12:51 PM
Wisconsin
Muskrat Offline
trapper
Muskrat  Offline
trapper

Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: handitrapper
Why do you think we went to the statewide season? Not that I agree.

Greed

Pushed by the same individual that made a cluster#&$@ out of our colony trap regs.

Do we really need to beat this dead horse some more?

Re: Wi Conservation Congress [Re: Muskrat] #6218106
04/15/18 01:00 PM
04/15/18 01:00 PM
East-Central Wisconsin
B
bblwi Offline
trapper
bblwi  Offline
trapper
B

East-Central Wisconsin
As stated before we had a lot of persons vote and hand in their ballots before the meeting started. We had a nomination from the floor for a candidate to fill a 2-year seat on the county congress. He nominated himself so that gives us some insight as to the interest. We also had a resolution that 10 terms would be the limit any one could serve. We will see where that goes.
Several of the persons voting early and leaving were voting for or against the crossbow resolution and group hunting.
As to question 32 I was involved in getting this to the hearings. I can see the issue people have regarding those that don't reside in an area coming up to harvest wildlife, but we do that with deer, bobcats, wolves, bear etc. etc. and our dollars are welcomed but oh no you can't have a $2.50 muskrat those are ours.

I live in an area that was in the central region and have trapped in the northern region not far from where I own property. The fact that we create 3 zones can be an issue, but in reality for me I have 12-16 more ice free days where I live than say Park Falls WI. All my rat line in my area is private so I can trap for a week or 10 days up north under the current law and not lose much if any open water in the south and I have actually better ice with less snow for later season. So if we don't return to a 3 zone season it won't change things as much as many think. If one wants to trap up north it is more a decision for me to enjoy a different experience and not catch a ton of high value rats.

Bryce

Re: Wi Conservation Congress [Re: AJE] #6218116
04/15/18 01:07 PM
04/15/18 01:07 PM
WI - Wisconsin
A
AJE Offline OP
trapper
AJE  Offline OP
trapper
A

WI - Wisconsin
I haven't trapped up north. Do the rats get smaller the further north in the state a person goes, or is it just that they don't have as nice of a pelt? Im in central Wi. I was telling a guy from southern Wi that I sometimes use 110s instead of 159s, and he looked at me like I was kinda crazy.

Re: Wi Conservation Congress [Re: keets] #6218141
04/15/18 01:34 PM
04/15/18 01:34 PM
WI
N
nimzy Offline
trapper
nimzy  Offline
trapper
N

WI
Originally Posted By: keets

How bout during “ their “ season?

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread