ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Ground hog #6229939
04/30/18 08:10 AM
04/30/18 08:10 AM
maryland
D
dirt trapper Offline OP
trapper
dirt trapper  Offline OP
trapper
D

maryland
What is the best bait to use.

Re: Ground hog [Re: dirt trapper] #6230093
04/30/18 01:45 PM
04/30/18 01:45 PM
Belair MD
V
VictorD Offline
trapper
VictorD  Offline
trapper
V

Belair MD
I always had luck with green apples and any commercial lure. I also put carrots in for color. I liked fully enclosed traps (plastic or metal) once you catch one and it smells like a ground hog the others have no problem entering. But I did use my fair share of cage traps as well. When I did ADC work I made sure I had separate traps for ground hogs and raccoons. It seemed to make a difference.

Last edited by VictorD; 04/30/18 01:50 PM.
Re: Ground hog [Re: dirt trapper] #6230141
04/30/18 04:00 PM
04/30/18 04:00 PM
Lower Alabama (Daleville)
L
LAtrapper Offline
"Professor"
LAtrapper  Offline
"Professor"
L

Lower Alabama (Daleville)

Note to self- Engage brain before opening mouth (or hitting the ENTER key/SUBMIT button).

Ron Fry

Re: Ground hog [Re: dirt trapper] #6230233
04/30/18 06:14 PM
04/30/18 06:14 PM
Reed City, Michigan
W
WPS Offline
trapper
WPS  Offline
trapper
W

Reed City, Michigan
my go to is cantaloupe..

David Belden, WCO
Wildlife Pro Services
Re: Ground hog [Re: dirt trapper] #6234010
05/05/18 04:48 PM
05/05/18 04:48 PM
New York
Jim Comstock Offline
trapper
Jim Comstock  Offline
trapper

New York
Sometimes I'm not sure if some of those who are new to ADC are aware of the value in positive den setting and trail sets with double door cage traps and nose cones for woodchucks. The combination pretty much means you can "chuck" the bait. For the past ten years I have successfully and quite easily trapped hundreds of woodchucks with no bait or lure as well as doing the same with a large portion of skunks too. The system saves money in bait, time in replacing old bait, frustration in bait in which they are not interested, as well not attracting non-targets with sets that are virtually maintenance free. It's the same as using a conibear, while cage traps are not dangerous to pets in residential high traffic neighborhoods.

Re: Ground hog [Re: dirt trapper] #6234350
05/06/18 08:51 AM
05/06/18 08:51 AM
eastern, CT
scott k Offline
trapper
scott k  Offline
trapper

eastern, CT
Den sets with end cone on traps is the easiest way. You got them coming or going. I’ve even used Jim Comstock’s end cone with two traps and scored a double. Give it a try

Re: Ground hog [Re: dirt trapper] #6234430
05/06/18 10:51 AM
05/06/18 10:51 AM
Northeast Wisconsin
N
NE Wildlife Offline
trapper
NE Wildlife  Offline
trapper
N

Northeast Wisconsin
I try to do the same but some customers just have them eating in there yard and garden, not following a
Trail or using den on there property. As was stated earlier cantaloupe and muskmelon work well!

Re: Ground hog [Re: dirt trapper] #6234609
05/06/18 03:37 PM
05/06/18 03:37 PM
New York
Jim Comstock Offline
trapper
Jim Comstock  Offline
trapper

New York
Where there is nothing to work with you could do some drift fencing to steer them into an unbaited trap. Last year I watched 3 dive into a hole, so I just surrounded the hole with 3 traps. Had them all in about an hour. Yesterday I ran 5 traps in the morning, got 3 chucks. Pulled the ones that caught, filled the holes and added a trap to one more hole. Had two more a few hours later, 5 chucks in 6 traps to add to the 7 chucks from the week before. When traps are set I usually explain to the resident that they will likely be calling shortly. Set a spot up north at noon last week. Got the call I had one at 2. Went back but by the time I got there I had 2 in the 3 traps, pulled them. Same thing two days ago, one trap set, had the chuck in two hours. Because this system is so productive you really don't need many traps as the jobs end quickly. Almost feel guilty about getting paid, but not quite.

Re: Ground hog [Re: dirt trapper] #6235447
05/07/18 09:03 PM
05/07/18 09:03 PM
Monroeville NJ
J
Jonesie Offline
trapper
Jonesie  Offline
trapper
J

Monroeville NJ
One out of every 10 jobs I set up will be a posi set. I have very good results with baiting the traps. I use my baits and will use 2 baits and 3 lures with eye appeal. Paul Brooker and I did a pod cast show together many years ago and he mentioned fake flowers. so I tried them and I will tell you they make a difference. I like commercial baits but If I was not using them I would go with strawberries, watermelon and broccoli with some castor in the back of the trap. I also put the baits in from the top so I get two scent cones high low and eye appeal also.

Ron Jones
http://www.acpwildlifepro.net/
Rednecks Pride Game Calls / Outdoor Scents
Rednecks Pride Outdoors podcast
Friend me on FaceBook
Re: Ground hog [Re: dirt trapper] #6238366
05/12/18 08:58 AM
05/12/18 08:58 AM
New York
Jim Comstock Offline
trapper
Jim Comstock  Offline
trapper

New York
Every kind of setting has advantages and trade offs. Each of us finds his own style due to circumstance and situation. I know there are plenty of guys who have taken more chucks at a single location than I have, but I am currently having fun making "the sweep through" with positive sets, setting dens and filling them in behind me, now up to 19 chucks with no non targets. There is a second aspect to the positive setting that is not bait or strictly positive set oriented, but lure related in dirty traps. Dirty traps and a dirty set are certainly an asset, which can help with either bait setting or positive sets. Territorial rodents smell another chuck and have to check it out, like beaver to castor. When replacing a positive set I make sure to leave the saturated dirt in place as is and merely work the next trap down into the smelly dirt. Having a panless wire trigger trap makes that really fast and easy because you don't have to worry about clogging a pan as the trigger is up in the air off the ground. Also, if the next trap has feces remnants of the last catch, all the better. A smelly dirty trap can be placed on its own free standing, with or without other attractants and can take the next chuck whether in a positive set or not.

Re: Ground hog [Re: dirt trapper] #6238392
05/12/18 10:08 AM
05/12/18 10:08 AM
Monroeville NJ
J
Jonesie Offline
trapper
Jonesie  Offline
trapper
J

Monroeville NJ
Like you said Jim there are many ways to get it done. Positive or forcing vs baiting each has a place. In the snaring and trapping school Newt Morgan and I give we teach both style for capture. Location based on method mindset and method based on location mindset. The professional should know both as I know Jim does. A trapper doesn't get in a hall of fame by just knowing one method. Jim you prefer positive setting, and in your place it is working for you, but I know also, you know how to bait a trap if you need to, say if a customer has a open yard with a flower bed and the ground hog is walking in from then open field with no forcing there, and you can't go on the property the hog is living on. It is a baited trapping site. I prefer baiting traps as my method, and it is based on locations many times where I can't force. But you know I will force in a heart beat or if I have more than one animal in a den I will guide set also. There is a method from old school LOL Things are still a little slow for me with GH work but this week I have caught 8 plus hogs 5 cable, 1 forced 1 guided and 3 baited. I have a coon right now that is forced and she is inside and will not go in. 5 days. I caught 2 skunks one baited and one guided and I have no idea how many squirrels all baited. I am just saying there are many ways to get it done.

Please anyone reading this do not take me bashing forcing the set. I do my share of that method. but what I have seen in the recent times in Wildlife control is the folks that can not do anything but force. As professionals we need to be masters at all methods At least in My humble opinion, I can be wrong.

Last edited by Jonesie; 05/12/18 10:09 AM.

Ron Jones
Friend me on FaceBook
Re: Ground hog [Re: dirt trapper] #6238488
05/12/18 01:42 PM
05/12/18 01:42 PM
Mass
TDHP Offline
trapper
TDHP  Offline
trapper

Mass
Originally Posted By: dirt trapper
What is the best bait to use.

For open trapping IE not directly over the den/hole/positive set etc. I like to use a sweet edible paste bait hung in the back of the cage on an apple slice.

Smile, you're an expert!
http://tdhpwildlifecontrol.webs.com/
Re: Ground hog [Re: dirt trapper] #6242155
05/17/18 02:06 PM
05/17/18 02:06 PM
New York
P
ponyboy Offline
trapper
ponyboy  Offline
trapper
P

New York
Flexible is what is needed. Be a good positive set guy like Comstock and a good bait and lure guy like Jonesie. Whatever will take the Hog. They "Comstock, Jonsie, and many others" give away a lot of great free advice on this site. Knowledge that use to take trappers years to acquire is now obtained with a click of the mouse.

Last edited by ponyboy; 05/17/18 02:08 PM.
Re: Ground hog [Re: dirt trapper] #6242169
05/17/18 02:31 PM
05/17/18 02:31 PM
New York
Jim Comstock Offline
trapper
Jim Comstock  Offline
trapper

New York
The one place that is an aggravation with positive setting is those stinking rock walls where the chucks live behind the entire wall, have many ways out and can find more any time. Just set one best I could using light assorted sheet metal pieces I carry which are really handy. Blocked of the obvious exists with stone, all but 2. Could have set a trail set or two out front that might have been easier. With standard den setting the only thing that derails a day and changes travel plans is that quite often you have to go right back after catches are made in as little as a few minutes to a couple of hours. Headed back now.

Oh, I'm wondering if anyone has had experiences with well lit places. Wonder if diurnal woodchucks can become at all nocturnal where the whole place bright all night long. Just got 23 chucks at one well lit place but only saw a few of them in the daylight.

Re: Ground hog [Re: Jim Comstock] #6242324
05/17/18 06:20 PM
05/17/18 06:20 PM
pennsylvania
R
rick brocious Offline
trapper
rick brocious  Offline
trapper
R

pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: Jim Comstock
The one place that is an aggravation with positive setting is those stinking rock walls where the chucks live behind the entire wall, have many ways out and can find more any time. Just set one best I could using light assorted sheet metal pieces I carry which are really handy. Blocked of the obvious exists with stone, all but 2. Could have set a trail set or two out front that might have been easier. With standard den setting the only thing that derails a day and changes travel plans is that quite often you have to go right back after catches are made in as little as a few minutes to a couple of hours. Headed back now.

Oh, I'm wondering if anyone has had experiences with well lit places. Wonder if diurnal woodchucks can become at all nocturnal where the whole place bright all night long. Just got 23 chucks at one well lit place but only saw a few of them in the daylight.
I working night shift in a factory years ago and the company was getting the parking lot paved . I would go outside for my breaks and I would see woodchucks all hours of the night .

Re: Ground hog [Re: dirt trapper] #6242478
05/17/18 10:29 PM
05/17/18 10:29 PM
New York
Jim Comstock Offline
trapper
Jim Comstock  Offline
trapper

New York
Thanks for confirming what I suspected Rick. There were just too many chucks in a confined area not to see more of them. I had a feeling that the bright lights would alter their behavior since there was a lot of activity in the day, people, trucks etc. At night it was bright as day but very quiet, a chance to feed undisturbed. With a gate around the place I doubt predators would get in either. Good to know what's going on. Thanks for your kind words ponyboy. I know beside Tman Jonsie has provided a lot of additional info in his podcasts too that anyone can tune in to listen and participate in. There really is a lot of helpful information for out there for those who take the time to "tune in" to many outlets.

Re: Ground hog [Re: WPS] #6242485
05/17/18 10:39 PM
05/17/18 10:39 PM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
Originally Posted By: WPS
my go to is cantaloupe..

YEP ! , on some crumpled cabbage......and drag the loupe on the ground from a few feet outside the trap all the way to the treadle leaving a scent trail he can't refuse.

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Re: Ground hog [Re: dirt trapper] #6243407
05/19/18 09:59 AM
05/19/18 09:59 AM
Monroeville NJ
J
Jonesie Offline
trapper
Jonesie  Offline
trapper
J

Monroeville NJ
Jim, I have seen hogs out walking around the den in march with snow, not a lot but have seen it. I have seen hogs just after dark. and I have a customer that hears the ground hog moving around in the dirt crawl space under the house at all times. day or night but does not want to spend the money for me LOL I think when you put a hog into a non predator area that the behavior Will be different than say a hog out in the field where fox and yotes are going to be. By the way I have a lady that just called with a fox den under the porch. she tells me every morning early she has to go out and get rid of the ground hog parts or other critters like chipmunk parts off the porch I ssum the way she was talking that would be at first light.

Ron Jones
Friend me on FaceBook
Re: Ground hog [Re: dirt trapper] #6244074
05/20/18 10:36 AM
05/20/18 10:36 AM
New York
Jim Comstock Offline
trapper
Jim Comstock  Offline
trapper

New York
Jonesie, Would have to agree that animal behaviors can definitely be changed by unnatural altered environments. The bright lights going all night long surely is not natural. With all the late snow we had in April and as cold as it was, I was surprised to see them out foraging, making trails in the snow. What is interesting is that in the fall, when the weather is still warm, 50's-60's with food available in October, our chucks bail out and go under for the winter. And yet on the other end, when its cold, snowy and nasty in early spring, there they are. Yes, getting some fox calls too, with "parts" all over the place.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread