ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Exclusion decking job near completion #6256681
06/09/18 08:01 AM
06/09/18 08:01 AM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline OP
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline OP
trapper
B

SW Pa
We do many barrier installations every year. I don't often document our work however I happened to think about it a few days ago and remembered to take my camera to document some steps in our procedure. This is the first step in framing a larger elevated deck. We do deck, sheds and exteriors of various types, sizes and heights off the ground to protect.

The higher decks require framing to support the wire so a bit of construction is required to do a good solid job. I finished the framing in a few days doing it by myself. My other employees were busy doing other jobs but I do pull one in for a few hours to help with some parts of the framing work that run easier with a helper. I rather do this work at my own pace to ensure it is what I want before attaching the wire on the face of the framing.

I will take some photos when the wire has been installed this week. You can see we have installed the Dig-Defence around at the base perimeter. The top is just visible in some photos. We needed to use the traditional apron wire grid barrier under the lower end of the deck due to the lower head space. We weren't able to get the dig-fence driver under it to drive the panels.

We only bury the wire a few inches in most cases. Then we stake it down with heavy duty 8" landscaping pins to hold the wire tight to ground. I found this works very well and eliminates a lot of extra digging. I put a bend in each leg of the pins about at a 45 degree bend to hold like a barb so as not to release and pull out due to the colder temperature frosting effect etc.

We have another building to do on the same property once this larger deck project is finished. It will be much easier to do since it is close to ground level around the foundation. Ground hogs, skunks and raccoon have been under both of these structures for many years. We will have to exclude some juvenile g-hogs next week prior to installing the barrier.

The juveniles are getting close to moving on by themselves anyway in these parts. We will leave a couple of panels out where the burrows are being used and evict the young hogs, then install them when the eviction is complete.

The other out storage building is 12'x 24'. I will get some photos of the landscape pins as they serve us well for shallow barrier aprons. Many areas I pin the wire to the ground surface which requires no digging. I contour the wire to the ground surface and pin it tightly down. The grass will grow through the wire in one season and you will not see it by the end of the summer.

With a little practice you can get on to this method when needed. We bend the front and sides of the wire edges at a 90 degree angle so they are pushed down into the ground. A straight edged shovel is used to cut a slot for the end bends to seat into the soil easily then pin it all down securely so it will not raise up over time. The rooting system will add support to hold the wire in place over time.

Re: Exclusion decking job near completion [Re: Bob Jameson] #6257647
06/10/18 09:29 PM
06/10/18 09:29 PM
Schenectady, NY
E
EatenByLimestone Offline
trapper
EatenByLimestone  Offline
trapper
E

Schenectady, NY
I can't wait to see the finished product!

Re: Exclusion decking job near completion [Re: Bob Jameson] #6258205
06/11/18 08:32 PM
06/11/18 08:32 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline OP
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline OP
trapper
B

SW Pa
We will be attaching some wire tomorrow if the weather holds up.

Re: Exclusion decking job near completion [Re: Bob Jameson] #6258690
06/12/18 06:28 PM
06/12/18 06:28 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline OP
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline OP
trapper
B

SW Pa
We got most of the wire in place today. Just have to do the lower end with wire and install an excluder for some coyotes living under the deck tomorrow and leave it a couple of days.

We will balance/space all the wire retaining screw/washer attachments tomorrow to finish the aesthetics of the job. That will put the professional touch to a nice job like this.

Re: Exclusion decking job near completion [Re: Bob Jameson] #6258744
06/12/18 08:09 PM
06/12/18 08:09 PM
Schenectady, NY
E
EatenByLimestone Offline
trapper
EatenByLimestone  Offline
trapper
E

Schenectady, NY
Nice! How big are the holes in the hardware cloth? It looks much thicker than the typical 19g 1/2".

Re: Exclusion decking job near completion [Re: Bob Jameson] #6258761
06/12/18 08:44 PM
06/12/18 08:44 PM
central Haudenosaunee, the De...
W
white marlin Offline
trapper
white marlin  Offline
trapper
W

central Haudenosaunee, the De...
Bob,

Have you ever installed screen door-type screen to keep bees from building nests under the decks?

My house doesn't have a deck, but if it did, I'd splurge to keep bees out.

Last edited by white marlin; 06/13/18 05:27 PM.
Re: Exclusion decking job near completion [Re: Bob Jameson] #6258766
06/12/18 08:50 PM
06/12/18 08:50 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline OP
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline OP
trapper
B

SW Pa
We only use 14-16 gauge GAW vinyl coated wire for barrier work. 1" X 1" is the wire grid size. Much smaller gauge wire and it isn't strong enough for an aggressive digging animal or durable enough to withstand consumer abuse over the years.

Don, we don't use window screen commercially for anything. Pet mesh is a good insect barrier material. You can buy some of it at lowes and other outdoor product box stores.

You can buy aluminum screen that may work better and be durable for insect proofing an area.

Re: Exclusion decking job near completion [Re: Bob Jameson] #6259307
06/13/18 05:19 PM
06/13/18 05:19 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline OP
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline OP
trapper
B

SW Pa
Final wire grid and excluder put into place today. Will keep the device for a few days then replace the wire grid over the excluder hole.

Re: Exclusion decking job near completion [Re: Bob Jameson] #6259786
06/14/18 11:56 AM
06/14/18 11:56 AM
Northern Minnesota
W
webfootwhacker Offline
trapper
webfootwhacker  Offline
trapper
W

Northern Minnesota
Bob, Have you ever used or considered using pneumatic Staples to hold the mesh on to avoid the higher visibility fasteners? I haven't had to do one so visible yet, but I have wondered about the staple option. Curious if you or anyone has used them?

For now, when I have to have visible washers, I paint them black like you did. Great job on such a large project. Those wire mesh lines are nice and straight!!

Last edited by webfootwhacker; 06/14/18 11:56 AM.
Re: Exclusion decking job near completion [Re: Bob Jameson] #6259906
06/14/18 03:25 PM
06/14/18 03:25 PM
Va
P
pass-thru Offline
trapper
pass-thru  Offline
trapper
P

Va
Bob, that looks like a very thorough and well done job. If the deck has a lattice, do you use a similar system by removing the lattice, installing exclusion, and then replacing the lattice over the exclusion?

Re: Exclusion decking job near completion [Re: Bob Jameson] #6259952
06/14/18 04:57 PM
06/14/18 04:57 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline OP
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline OP
trapper
B

SW Pa
I have used staples if we are covering the wire with lattice or replacing existing lattice that was removed then replaced after the wire was installed. I have an air gun stapler, and have used it on other types of work, however the problem with staples is getting the right pressure to seat the staple just right. Too much pressure and you may damage the wire, too little and you have to hammer them in as you go.

You should use a stainless staples if you do use that fastening method. I have more confidence in using the washer screw method as it is much stronger.

The customer will be painting the new installed wood wire framing next summer after it has dried well so the fasteners will disappear.

Re: Exclusion decking job near completion [Re: Bob Jameson] #6259984
06/14/18 05:55 PM
06/14/18 05:55 PM
Northern Minnesota
W
webfootwhacker Offline
trapper
webfootwhacker  Offline
trapper
W

Northern Minnesota
Makes sense. Thanks for the thoughts. Job well done!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread