ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Rats #6272038
07/03/18 09:24 PM
07/03/18 09:24 PM
West Michigan
G
Getting There Offline OP
trapper
Getting There  Offline OP
trapper
G

West Michigan
I have a daughter that lives in Depew N.Y. she is starting to see Rats around and they are digging holes. They are moving out of the city. She is a very clean person. No trash, food left out, garbage in trash cans etc. I showed her husband how to make a weasel box with a rat trap inside. I also sent a real coni-bear trap home with them. What is the go to bait for rat's? Only seen rats at the dump when we where young, shot a lot of them.

To Old
U.S. Army 60-63 SGT.
Re: Rats [Re: Getting There] #6272053
07/03/18 09:36 PM
07/03/18 09:36 PM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Offline
trapper
BigBob  Offline
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
They have what's called "new object shyness", that means it may take a few days for them to get used to any sets you make before they approach. Peanut butter works well, especially with some corn stuck in it. If you find their runs a #1 or 1-1/2 in a flat set may work too.

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Re: Rats [Re: Getting There] #6272238
07/04/18 07:56 AM
07/04/18 07:56 AM
Mass
TDHP Offline
trapper
TDHP  Offline
trapper

Mass
Originally Posted By: Getting There
What is the go to bait for rat's?

We use our own rodent bait. A good bait should last weeks to a month on a trap without re baiting unless the pan was licked clean. I bait the traps and use on multiple jobs without re-baiting them. As far as coni bears for rats, JMO you're wasting your time. Snap traps with an effective bait, and when boxes are needed. Simple modified weasel/rat box that could be wood, plastic or cardboard is all that is needed to do a rat job. Two to three dozen traps at a whack will knock'em down in a hurry if you suspect you have a colony. Snap traps bedded up to the base of the trap or placed along a structure will do a number as well. If they are unsure on location for traps ALWAYS USE BAIT it will better your chances.

I own a handful of T rex/ protecta setups which my wife picked up for me. I keep a couple on the truck and as you can see do nothing but collect dust. Big or small, jmo snap traps are 100% the best traps out there for rodents. Even when I'm doing jobs in boston I use snap traps and they grow'em big out there, snap traps get it done. When it comes to traps for rodents try to keep it simple.

Collect dust on the truck

When it comes to boxes if you feel you need them, they don't have to be perfect with a hole dead center or bellow center with an exact over hang yada yada. Room for the hammer to swing and that is it. The kids make my boxes and the rats have no issues entering them. Just have to read through the BS and simplify the task.

Smile, you're an expert!
http://tdhpwildlifecontrol.webs.com/
Re: Rats [Re: Getting There] #6274564
07/07/18 08:21 PM
07/07/18 08:21 PM
southern ont. canada
B
bob pake Offline
trapper
bob pake  Offline
trapper
B

southern ont. canada
Trapping rats for me is a last ditch effort. It takes a good trapper with time to do the job using traps to gain control. Elimination in not likely . + your daughter or someone else will half to deal with dead stinky rats.
Rodents seem to love soy bean based rodenticide, that and a tamper resistant containers .
Elimination can be expected.
Resolve / first strike, have worked well for me in unlikely and tough situations.

Re: Rats [Re: Getting There] #6277955
07/12/18 09:02 PM
07/12/18 09:02 PM
S/E Mich - N/W Ohio
On a Call Offline
trapper
On a Call  Offline
trapper

S/E Mich - N/W Ohio
I am about at 230 rats. In my area alone.

We had a neighbor who we found out horded food in his untight garage. They were about 4 doors down from us. When I started seeing evidence I tried everything....

Snap traps - 8 rats for me least effective.

Coni 110 - 13 rats I hit funnel areas

Bait stations - I would guess about 40, neighbor dogs found some, I found some, found some in the road ran over, and a few just wandering around in a daze.

Live traps double door blind sets !!! 170 or so...lost track. I would use whatever size I found here is a list

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index...ASABEgLgNfD_BwE

Caught a bunch in this smaller size

But the larger the trap the more I caught

But then I caught...skunk, birds, grinners, squirrels, and lots of rats...lots.

Then one day the neighbor was talking with us...he told us he had lots. No wonder...garage full of food...pallets worth. He had it emptied and the rats stopped. I catch a few here and there...up to 8 since the first of the year.

But I learned....blind set along buildings, fences, and any edge for them to follow.

Good luck....kill em all

Last edited by On a Call; 07/12/18 09:04 PM.
Re: Rats [Re: On a Call] #6278221
07/13/18 08:14 AM
07/13/18 08:14 AM
West Michigan
G
Getting There Offline OP
trapper
Getting There  Offline OP
trapper
G

West Michigan
Originally Posted By: On a Call

We had a neighbor who we found out horded food in his untight garage. They were about 4 doors down from us. When I started seeing evidence I tried everything....

Bait stations - I would guess about 40, neighbor dogs found some, I found some, found some in the road ran over, and a few just wandering around in a daze.

Live traps double door blind sets !!! 170 or so...lost track. I would use whatever size I found here is a list

Then one day the neighbor was talking with us...he told us he had lots. No wonder...garage full of food...pallets worth. He had it emptied and the rats stopped. I catch a few here and there...up to 8 since the first of the year.

But I learned....blind set along buildings, fences, and any edge for them to follow.

Good luck....kill em all

Thanks for the information.

To Old
U.S. Army 60-63 SGT.
Re: Rats [Re: Getting There] #6278468
07/13/18 07:00 PM
07/13/18 07:00 PM
S/E Mich - N/W Ohio
On a Call Offline
trapper
On a Call  Offline
trapper

S/E Mich - N/W Ohio

Good luck....kill em all

Thanks for the information.

FYI...with the 110's I set them up with step pads not using the Y place a cut plastic yard sign to size and set upside down. They would walk though and snap...wish I had photos...but it worked..missed some guessing they were small ones and snapped shut infront and behind.

Re: Rats [Re: Getting There] #6278471
07/13/18 07:05 PM
07/13/18 07:05 PM
S/E Mich - N/W Ohio
On a Call Offline
trapper
On a Call  Offline
trapper

S/E Mich - N/W Ohio
I have a daughter that lives in Depew N.Y. she is starting to see Rats around and they are digging holes. They are moving out of the city. She is a very clean person. No trash, food left out, garbage in trash cans etc. I showed her husband how to make a weasel box with a rat trap inside. I also sent a real coni-bear trap home with them. What is the go to bait for rat's? Only seen rats at the dump when we where young, shot a lot of them.

You can be clean that does not matter...rats live on whatever the neighbors have laying around. Dog poo, bird seed, nut trees, and etc all that adds up. If there are squirrels in the area....they each eat the same thing as squirrels are tree rats. If she is seeing holes and not seeing chipmunks odds are she has rats.

Good luck...

Rats by the way make good bait.

Re: Rats [Re: Getting There] #6278482
07/13/18 07:28 PM
07/13/18 07:28 PM
central ohio
madcotrappwr Offline
trapper
madcotrappwr  Offline
trapper

central ohio
I had rabbits for a while. Then I had rats. Only caught a dozen ish. But I got them all. They dug holes under the edge of concrete of my garage and was staying in the wood pile. They seemed to pop up over night. I used 110s against concrete pad. I hid them with wood and rocks to force them through. 160s over the holes in the ground and the wood pile. I tied a string between the trigger wires.

Also figured out I had to make them a hair trigger. Scary sometimes.

Hi on a call.

I also had some week long springs that I put peanut butter on that did catch one but not real good. Had one go in a colony trap also. I put a stick holding the door open and some fishing line that they got into to pull the stick out from under the door. I tied one end shut a put a weight on the trap door. Pain in the butt. 110s

Last edited by madcotrappwr; 07/13/18 07:36 PM.

Will my toes ever warm up?

I'm Gonna die with my boots on.

Tim Henry.

Re: Rats [Re: madcotrappwr] #6278487
07/13/18 07:39 PM
07/13/18 07:39 PM
S/E Mich - N/W Ohio
On a Call Offline
trapper
On a Call  Offline
trapper

S/E Mich - N/W Ohio
Originally Posted By: madcotrappwr
I had rabbits for a while. Then I had rats. Only caught a dozen ish. But I got them all. They dug holes under the edge of concrete of my garage and was staying in the wood pile. They seemed to pop up over night. I used 110s against concrete pad. I hid them with wood and rocks to force them through. 160s over the holes in the ground and the wood pile. I tied a string between the trigger wires.

Hi on a call.

I also had some week long springs that I put peanut butter on that did catch one but not real good. Had one go in a colony trap also. I put a stick holding the door open and some fishing line that they got into to pull the stick out from under the door. I tied one end shut a put a weight on the trap door. Pain in the butt. 110s

HI !!!

Yeah I too did the number 0 and 1 S with peanut butter that caught some on a different situation !!!

I like the idea of string...should have tried that !! And...I tried waxing the trigger...ouch many times...but it made them super light !!!

Re: Rats [Re: madcotrappwr] #6278488
07/13/18 07:43 PM
07/13/18 07:43 PM
S/E Mich - N/W Ohio
On a Call Offline
trapper
On a Call  Offline
trapper

S/E Mich - N/W Ohio

Hi on a call.

By the way...lets get together some time soon !

Re: Rats [Re: Getting There] #6278489
07/13/18 07:46 PM
07/13/18 07:46 PM
S/E Mich - N/W Ohio
On a Call Offline
trapper
On a Call  Offline
trapper

S/E Mich - N/W Ohio
The thing about using double door live traps bind sets was they were always set always ready...set in a spot you can see them easy check.

But ... you have to kill them...but they do die fast with exposure in winter.

Re: Rats [Re: On a Call] #6278511
07/13/18 08:34 PM
07/13/18 08:34 PM
Mass
TDHP Offline
trapper
TDHP  Offline
trapper

Mass
But ... you have to kill them...but they do die fast with exposure in winter.

JMO, that is why cage trapping rats is a waste of time and $ if you're looking to knock them down in numbers, especially if they are unfamiliar with the next step. If you're relocating then a different story. I see many elaborate setups with grain and seed sprinkled near and on traps from homeowners trying to trap rats, its crazy. I tend to not over think any animal (critter) that I'm after. I just get out there, use good bait and trap placement, and it gets the job done. Rodent are by far one of the easiest things to trap, not only that but it's fun. smile To each their own

Smile, you're an expert!
Re: Rats [Re: Getting There] #6278758
07/14/18 08:14 AM
07/14/18 08:14 AM
central ohio
madcotrappwr Offline
trapper
madcotrappwr  Offline
trapper

central ohio
The colony trap thing was a brainfart. Who knows how many went in and didn't trip it. I did catch them all and the best was the coni.

Will my toes ever warm up?

I'm Gonna die with my boots on.

Tim Henry.

Re: Rats [Re: madcotrappwr] #6284446
07/22/18 11:00 AM
07/22/18 11:00 AM
Mass
TDHP Offline
trapper
TDHP  Offline
trapper

Mass
The colony trap thing was a brainfart. Who knows how many went in and didn't trip it. I did catch them all and the best was the coni.

Don't think I'd ever waste my time with conibears for rats even if it were legal. Not practical in rodent control, very limited on trap placement. JMO, a waste of time and money. I guess, that being said the best practice is use what works for you. I've been on many jobs where rodenticide was being used by pest techs that just wasn't getting the job done. I'm not a fan of them, I know they have a place but the majority of my customers want nothing to do with it. Plus physically removing rats from traps allows you to document what's been taken out. Some prefer it but If you know how to trap them its pretty easy to do with snap traps and good bait regardless of how many.

These rats were taken on an "observation" set after a tech had convinced the property owner that the rats were gone after a two month program using rodenticide. Many vairiables are here but that is why on certain jobs I don't assume especially if you don't seal up.The traps were placed up on an outside top plate of the barn using an easy reach where you'd never get a conibear. Blocks the techs put out appeared to be undisturbed. Rain, snow or shine doesn't matter snap traps with a lil bitah bait, will do a number on rats. Oh and an FYI for rodent trapping you don't need all types of crazy baits to attract them. We use one bait for mice, shrew, voles, rats and cage work for squirrels/chipmunks.

Smile, you're an expert!
Re: Rats [Re: Getting There] #7023180
10/21/20 12:20 PM
10/21/20 12:20 PM
Lemars, Iowa
N
NWTrapper85 Offline
trapper
NWTrapper85  Offline
trapper
N

Lemars, Iowa
With cool weather thought maybe bring this thread back up. I'm green on doing rat jobs. I just got my first one at a urgent care medical place. Rat was living behind a dishwasher in breakroom that hasn't been used in couple years. about week ago water was leaking out from under it and so they pulled it out and found a rat nest going into the wall. Fast forward 3 out of the 4 days after that the rat chewed thru rubber/plastic water lines in the wall connecting break room and another office. I came into the picture on day 4 when they called me. I talked to my boss and prebaited my limited amount of rat snap traps what I had on hand first 2 days not activity. Right or wrong set them the third day no activity but on night 3 of my baited set traps the rat chewed thru another water line. I know its somewhat waiting game. I put some in the drop ceiling connected the two rooms not insulation in it so easy to see across. I just got in 6 dozen of the victor pro traps yesterday still need go back to place. been going every 2 days per my boss. I've got 6 snap traps in the break room perpendicular to the wall. some of the t rex a and the old style victors baited with 2 different nut based baits. Should I set some blind sets with my new supply no bait in addition now next visit and some new bait different kind say a piece of slim jim.

Last edited by NWTrapper85; 10/21/20 12:26 PM.
Re: Rats [Re: Getting There] #7092734
12/16/20 07:10 PM
12/16/20 07:10 PM
Central MN
Gray Breard Offline
trapper
Gray Breard  Offline
trapper

Central MN
On the farm, We used to have a couple of semi trained Sable Ferrets. Not a rat to be seen.

My Gal's name is Ma Deuce.

The only thing needed for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
Re: Rats [Re: Getting There] #7140245
01/16/21 09:10 PM
01/16/21 09:10 PM
New York State , Tonawanda
J
JWeir40 Offline
trapper
JWeir40  Offline
trapper
J

New York State , Tonawanda
Getting There I live 5 min from Depew and I use chicken wings . Take a rat trap and wire a end of a chicken wing to the trigger . No misses .
All western New York rats love chicken wings . Go bills !

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread