No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 12
Re: Status of the International Fur Market [Re: pass-thru] #6280526
07/16/18 11:42 PM
07/16/18 11:42 PM
Va
P
pass-thru Offline OP
trapper
pass-thru  Offline OP
trapper
P

Va
The market is in the marketing. There is a world of difference between ranch fur and wild caught...such as Canada Goose embraces. Wild fur should not be shy about embracing this distinction, and that can only happen through marketing.

If we had furriers in this country highlighting wild fur it would make a difference on fur sales in this country. When I bought my wife a sheared beaver vest a few years ago, I had to hunt for it had the fur store and they were pushing ranch.

Also, the upper middle class black woman is a market with huge potential in this country. Advertise to them, make it available, and they will buy all kinds of wild fur.

Re: Status of the International Fur Market [Re: pass-thru] #6280534
07/17/18 12:09 AM
07/17/18 12:09 AM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
I sold a bearskin hat to a Black woman once.
When she put it on it was like a time machine back to the 60's.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Status of the International Fur Market [Re: pass-thru] #6280653
07/17/18 08:36 AM
07/17/18 08:36 AM
NE
M
Marty B Offline
"arbitrary noob"
Marty B  Offline
"arbitrary noob"
M

NE
Originally Posted By: pass-thru

If we had furriers in this country highlighting wild fur it would make a difference on fur sales in this country.

Good luck with that, trappers don't want any part of that nonsense.

https://trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/6275789/1

Re: Status of the International Fur Market [Re: Marty B] #6280679
07/17/18 08:56 AM
07/17/18 08:56 AM
Wheaton Ks
L
lee steinmeyer Offline
trapper
lee steinmeyer  Offline
trapper
L

Wheaton Ks
Originally Posted By: Marty B

If we had furriers in this country highlighting wild fur it would make a difference on fur sales in this country.

Oh, they want it.....just don't know how to get there from here! Trappers do what they do best, untill we get some furriers that want and know how to work and push wild fur, we're gonna be in this situation. They prefer to work with ranch crap, because it is easier. That is human nature!

YOU CAN IGNORE REALITY, BUT YOU CANNOT IGNORE THE CONSEQUENCES OF IGNORING REALITY.

http://www.lptraplinesupply.com
Re: Status of the International Fur Market [Re: Marty B] #6280751
07/17/18 11:22 AM
07/17/18 11:22 AM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak

Be fair! Some trappers support Certification, some oppose and some don't care. As far as the ride alongs,who knows, CG may be just looking to confirm what the anti's been saying about trapping so they can justify dropping coyote ruffs.

Last edited by Dirt; 07/17/18 11:23 AM.

Who is John Galt?
Re: Status of the International Fur Market [Re: pass-thru] #6280758
07/17/18 11:46 AM
07/17/18 11:46 AM
NE
M
Marty B Offline
"arbitrary noob"
Marty B  Offline
"arbitrary noob"
M

NE
The one company on the face of the Earth promoting wild n.a. fur, and trappers, and the trappers overwhelming response to them?:

"POUND SAND"

Re: Status of the International Fur Market [Re: pass-thru] #6280761
07/17/18 11:57 AM
07/17/18 11:57 AM
potter co. p.a.
P
pcr2 Offline
"Twerker"
pcr2  Offline
"Twerker"
P

potter co. p.a.
ain't no western coyotes in PA last i checked.5 states does not a market make.open your eyes to the other 45 states.

Re: Status of the International Fur Market [Re: Marty B] #6280777
07/17/18 12:19 PM
07/17/18 12:19 PM
SE Nebraska
T
trapperne Offline
trapper
trapperne  Offline
trapper
T

SE Nebraska
The one company on the face of the Earth promoting wild n.a. fur, and trappers, and the trappers overwhelming response to them?:

"POUND SAND"

As far as certification goes I think there is as much down side possible as there is upside. We already harvest fur under the rules of state and federal laws, what more do they want? Will it really increase price and volume they use, or will they see an actual harvest and be completely turn off by it even if it is completely legal and humane as possible?

Will certification stop you from buying snowmobiled or dog caught coyotes?

Last edited by trapperne; 07/17/18 12:20 PM.

Follow me on Facebook @ Lincoln Fur
Re: Status of the International Fur Market [Re: pass-thru] #6280794
07/17/18 12:54 PM
07/17/18 12:54 PM
Pa
W
Wright Brothers Offline
trapper
Wright Brothers  Offline
trapper
W

Pa
I was trying to keep an open mind and learn more of this, certification, the part about peta buying stock in cg made that a little difficult.
What does peta say when asked by their donors about this?

Re: Status of the International Fur Market [Re: Wright Brothers] #6280829
07/17/18 02:01 PM
07/17/18 02:01 PM
East-Central Wisconsin
B
bblwi Offline
trapper
bblwi  Offline
trapper
B

East-Central Wisconsin
The scary part we should be concerned with is that PETA has the cash flow, liquidity and assets to invest in markets that create much more earnings and thus more funds to use to promote their cause. They are rapidly learning that the best way to win their battles is to join in our activities such as WCC attendance and being elected a county rep and by investing in consumptive use investments that create earnings and opportunity.

Bryce

Re: Status of the International Fur Market [Re: Wright Brothers] #6280956
07/17/18 06:06 PM
07/17/18 06:06 PM
Va
P
pass-thru Offline OP
trapper
pass-thru  Offline OP
trapper
P

Va
Originally Posted By: Wright Brothers
I was trying to keep an open mind and learn more of this, certification, the part about peta buying stock in cg made that a little difficult.
What does peta say when asked by their donors about this?

The reductio ad absurdum of this is that you are letting PETA dictate your actions, and that is exactly the type of influence they were seeking when they bought the stock in the first place.

Re: Status of the International Fur Market [Re: Marty B] #6280958
07/17/18 06:07 PM
07/17/18 06:07 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak

"POUND SAND"

IMO both Al and CG want the same thing. They want trappers to supply all their wants and desires at unrealistic prices.

Who is John Galt?
Re: Status of the International Fur Market [Re: pcr2] #6281046
07/17/18 08:04 PM
07/17/18 08:04 PM
MN
S
Steven 49er Offline
trapper
Steven 49er  Offline
trapper
S

MN
Originally Posted By: pcr2
ain't no western coyotes in PA last i checked.5 states does not a market make.open your eyes to the other 45 states.

Do you have any clue how many coyotes CG buys? Take them out of the picture and the coyote market goes below production costs for the majority. When a market is below production costs it's as good as dead.

"Inflation is always and everywhere a monetary phenomenon". Milton Friedman.
Re: Status of the International Fur Market [Re: Dirt] #6281047
07/17/18 08:06 PM
07/17/18 08:06 PM
MN
S
Steven 49er Offline
trapper
Steven 49er  Offline
trapper
S

MN
Originally Posted By: Dirt

"POUND SAND"

IMO both Al and CG want the same thing. They want trappers to supply all their wants and desires at unrealistic prices.

Nah, Al and the rest of the shearable beaver users are at unrealistic prices. CG's prices for the articles they want aren't bad. Not at levels that one could feed a family on but a profitable level non the less.

Re: Status of the International Fur Market [Re: Steven 49er] #6281052
07/17/18 08:18 PM
07/17/18 08:18 PM
Mountain View, AR
S
ShaneT Offline
trapper
ShaneT  Offline
trapper
S

Mountain View, AR
Originally Posted By: Steven 49er

Do you have any clue how many coyotes CG buys? Take them out of the picture and the coyote market goes below production costs for the majority. When a market is below production costs it's as good as dead.

I am guessing that since they are only buying from one region of the country, CG is buying a very small fraction of the coyotes that are pelted.

Don't get me wrong, I am glad they are buying what they are buying. More money into the fur and trapping industries is great.

I think that the future of the fur market does not depend on CG.

"Good Lord, thank you for your endless bounty. Lord please give me the strength to gather what I need"
Re: Status of the International Fur Market [Re: ShaneT] #6281069
07/17/18 08:37 PM
07/17/18 08:37 PM
PA
P
PSB1011 Offline
trapper
PSB1011  Offline
trapper
P

PA
Originally Posted By: ShaneT

I am guessing that since they are only buying from one region of the country, CG is buying a very small fraction of the coyotes that are pelted.

Don't get me wrong, I am glad they are buying what they are buying. More money into the fur and trapping industries is great.

You might be right,you might not be right.Maby you should go and spit in the face of a Canada Goose representative,and tell them we don't need them.Thats a great business model.

Re: Status of the International Fur Market [Re: ShaneT] #6281074
07/17/18 08:50 PM
07/17/18 08:50 PM
MN
S
Steven 49er Offline
trapper
Steven 49er  Offline
trapper
S

MN

What is your definition of a "small fraction" and what areas produce the most coyotes? Don't forget they are targeting at least 3 Canadian provinces.

The future of the fur market depends on every manufacturer we can get to use our products. I don't know about you Shane but I don't like trapping fur below production costs.

Re: Status of the International Fur Market [Re: PSB1011] #6281085
07/17/18 09:11 PM
07/17/18 09:11 PM
Mountain View, AR
S
ShaneT Offline
trapper
ShaneT  Offline
trapper
S

Mountain View, AR
Originally Posted By: PSB1011

You might be right,you might not be right.Maby you should go and spit in the face of a Canada Goose representative,and tell them we don't need them.Thats a great business model.

I am not sure how you took away that I was advocating for spitting in CG's face from my post. I said I was glad they were buying coyotes.

They want and need those coyotes. I am no CEO but it seems like that should give the producers of those coyotes some degree of leverage.

"Good Lord, thank you for your endless bounty. Lord please give me the strength to gather what I need"
Re: Status of the International Fur Market [Re: Steven 49er] #6281094
07/17/18 09:26 PM
07/17/18 09:26 PM
Mountain View, AR
S
ShaneT Offline
trapper
ShaneT  Offline
trapper
S

Mountain View, AR

What is your definition of a "small fraction" and what areas produce the most coyotes? Don't forget they are targeting at least 3 Canadian provinces.

The future of the fur market depends on every manufacturer we can get to use our products. I don't know about you Shane but I don't like trapping fur below production costs.

No sir I do not like trapping in the red. It severely limits the amount of time I can spend trapping.

Like I said, I am just guessing on the percentage of coyotes that are pelted compared to how many CG are buying.

I dont't have the answers as to how to have a consistently thriving fur market. I don't pretend to. I read these threads to get more perspective. I agree with you Steven, that we need all the manufacturers we can find to use wild fur. I just think that all that we already do to produce fur in a humane and responsible fashion may not be totally appreciated by some of the manufacturers and consumers in general. If it were then maybe their would be more demand in North America for our products.

There has to be a way to use the current trend toward sustainable and environmentally sound production to market our fur. The modern trapper produces the epitome of what that movement wants.

Re: Status of the International Fur Market [Re: pass-thru] #6281098
07/17/18 09:31 PM
07/17/18 09:31 PM
Illinois
ringtailtrapper Offline
trapper
ringtailtrapper  Offline
trapper

Illinois
Please explain why certification is even needed, when everything they are requesting from certification is already in place, like traceability, and accountability. It's not spitting in anybody's face when you just show them the information they requested is already accessible. Maybe the problem is with those that we as trappers have entrusted to market our goods ?? Both auction houses have the ability to trace pelts, and if that information was the best approach to marketing those goods, and with the current consignment agreement that all fur shippers agree to when shipping fur in place, that gives the consignment company almost complete control to market those goods at their digression , then why have not the auction houses already implemented traceability ?? The auction houses better be able to provide traceability, and if not then why are we shipping them fur to market ??

RTT

For Sale, Quality Racing Possums
Page 4 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 12
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread