General Trapping Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Avoiding Deer, Alligators, and Other Non-Targets #6288344
07/27/18 06:50 PM
07/27/18 06:50 PM
Louisiana
Aix sponsa Offline OP
trapper
Aix sponsa  Offline OP
trapper

Louisiana
In Louisiana, hog snaring on land runs the risk of catching deer and setting snares in water for beavers runs the risk of incidentally catching non-targets. The risk of catching non-targets can be greatly reduced by using common sense and carefully choosing sets that will minimize the risk to non-targets. Sometimes this means passing up on a set because the risk of non targets is too great. Other times it means choosing set locations that are simply better, and the reduced risk of non-targets is an added bonus. Recently I was talking to someone about this, and deer and alligators were the non-targets that he mentioned, so this thread will focus on those. There are certainly other non-targets to try to avoid, and if you’d like to share how you avoid non-targets, that’d be great.

The reasons why they need to be avoided, or at least minimized are numerous, but that’s not the purpose of this thread. There are two things that I absolutely do not want to happen when I’m snaring: I don’t want whatever I’m after to become ensnared then escape, and I don’t want to catch anything but my target critter. With that said, I’ve learned how to keep these to a minimum, and I’d like to share what I’ve learned.

Snaring Hogs/Avoiding Deer

If there is a serious hog problem, it has been my experience that deer will not be nearly as common in the hog’s core area, which to me means the thick cover that they stay in when they’re not feeding. I am referring to the small core area of the greatest hog density and nowhere else. This will leave many options on the table, so sets can really be made nearly anywhere there is an abundance of sign or where you think hogs will pass. Something that my mentor emphasized and my experience confirmed is that with hogs, even the faint trails are important. He called them escape trails. When looking at a trail heavily used by hogs, there will often be other, less obvious trails in the immediate area. These are what he and I call escape trails—-pay attention to them. A great deal of the hogs I’ve snared were on these trails. I can’t help but wonder how many I would have missed if I would have only set the main trails...

In my opinion, one of the most effective tactics for snaring hogs to find trail-pinch points and gang set them. I do not mean individual pinch points for a snare like people generally think of, I mean funnels on a larger scale. A place where a group of hogs will be forced to pass through a smaller area. One place I have taken advantage of this opportunity was a small pine grove between two bogs. East of the grove, hogs were using heavy cover and West was a rice field. Wallowing and rubbing on trees are important behaviors to key on, because it’s an effective strategy that also makes snaring them much easier. I fasten my snare support directly to the rub tree, and then I hang my snare so that they’ll be snared when they come to rub.
Setting rub trees/poles are the single most effective way of snaring hogs while avoiding non-targets in my opinion. I won’t say that it can’t happen, but I’ve Snared a lot of hogs on rub trees, and I’ve yet to catch a non-target in a rub tree snare.

Once quite a few hogs have been Snared, their numbers will be fewer, and some of the remaining hogs may have scattered some. This is when it becomes critical to watch for changing sign. When hog sign isn’t quite as common as it had been, it’s been my experience that more deer start to show up in areas they rarely appeared while the hog population was so much stronger. When this happens, I will immediately make changes to my snare line. Snares set on “common trails” will be removed immediately, especially areas that show evidence of deer activity. These areas are easily identified by walking along the edge of a tree line. Deer are browsers—-they eat as they walk. This means that the ends/beginning of trails they use will show signs of browsing and look like “garage doors”—-tall and wide opening. Don’t set these unless hog populations locally are out of control, or you will probably be regretting it. In my opinion these are the absolute worst places to hang snares in all but the most serious hog problem areas. Simply not worth it imo.

However, there are trails that can be set that are very safe for snaring hogs while avoiding deer in my experience, and these are what I call “tunnel trails”. If the roof of the trail is 3 feet or less, chances are that this is a trail that hogs are using, but deer aren’t. In my experience, these trails are generally found in, around, and leading to areas of heavy cover. Where I live, a thick shrub/tree called Yaupon creates this type of location. Yaupon thickets can be like an impenetrable Wall that’s only accessed by using those tunnel trails. When hogs are using these trails, they’re another pretty safe option for avoiding deer. Set them.

Avoiding Alligators in Beaver Sets

Alligators aren’t a concern during winter, but they need to be taken into consideration if the water is warm.

First and foremost, evaluate the situation. Is it a location that you would expect to have alligators? If it is, you need to plan your strategy accordingly. Places I’ve learned to expect alligators are beaver impoundments that are more than a couple years old. If trees have died due to long term flooding, there’s a good chance there will be alligators—even if you haven’t seen any yet, and medium to large bayous are places that I wouldn’t be surprised if alligators were present.

“When Beaver Damage Is Out of Control” is when I learned that just because I didn’t see any alligators didn’t mean they weren’t there. I believe I caught 12-13 beavers before I had my first encounter, so just because you don’t see them doesn’t mean they aren’t there, but steps can be taken to drastically reduce the chances of incidental alligators.

A personal beaver strategy of mine is to stay away from the primary dam, den, and pond whenever possible, as much as possible. It doesn’t matter what time of the year it is. I am ok with spending a little more time to catch them all, but I will catch them all-eventually. I have found that the less worked up they get, the easier they are to handle. Sure, I might catch all of them the first night if I hit them full force, but what if I don’t and I manage to spook one or two? The job can drag on longer than I’d like. Let me say this: I would rather take my time and do it right than get ahead of myself and drag it out with an educated beaver. Being aggressive is good at times, but remember parable of the turtle winning the race.

Just like Game trails are safe to set when there’s a serious hog (beaver) problem, once the majority of the population (colony) has been eliminated, heavily used dam crossovers on the primary dam leaving the beaver pond/impoundment become a place to be careful setting if it shows signs of being used by anything but beavers. In my opinion, beavers don’t leave a lot of sign on crossovers unless it’s very soft mud (bog, low flow water) like a dam that isn’t exposed to full sunlight to that would really bake the mud—keeping the mud moist. There are always exceptions to the rule, and if a dam is being used by numerous beavers, yes it can show wear.

So, if I’m dealing with a beaver pond that evidence suggests has been there for years and become an important part of the local landscape, I want to be most careful setting something that would be used by critters other than beavers. In the beginning, when the colony is still there, a person could probably set the primary dam’s crossover and not experience problems with non-targets, because when the sun sets, a beaver is more than likely going to cross it to inspect the other dams. If you choose to set it, you should be ok, but I try to stay away from that dam in the beginning.

Given time to become established, most beaver jobs will have several dams. If it appears to be a pair or otherwise small job, they can usually be cleaned up pretty quickly, no problems. If dealing with a full blown colony, almost without fail, I begin my attack by setting traps downstream of the lowest dam and then working my way up towards the primary dam over the course of several days, depending on how big the job is. This allows me to begin knocking out beavers before I even have a presence in their core area. As an aside, I feel like this gives me an opportunity to pick off several of the older members of the colony. This seems to have been my own experience, and I’ve discussed it with a friend of mine that has also knocked out his share of beavers, and he agrees—-elimination of one or more adult beavers makes the Removal process much smoother and quicker.

By using this approach, not only am I following my own personal strategy that I feel is successful, it doesn’t require setting as many trap nights in the “hot zone” where the rest of the colony is and where possible non-targets spend a lot of their time. It’s a win for both reasons.

More ways to reduce possible non-targets are by staying focused on the beavers. If dealing with a large pond, finding trails that appear to be only used by beavers is important. I already try to avoid setting bank dens unless I simply have no other choice, because I don’t want them to become spooky, but there’s an added bonus that comes along with it—-reduced chance of catching an alligator. If there’s a hole in the bank, and for whatever reason I need to set the den exits, I check it to make sure the hole has evidence of beavers using it. By this I mean I can feel the run where beavers have been using their feet on the bottom. It will be obvious once you step on it. Simply assuming that a hole in the bank is a “beaver bank den” is a bad idea——don’t do it.

With this said, it is possible to catch an alligator in a beaver’s den exit. Not sure what they were doing, but I suspect they were looking for a meal. The primary reasons for avoiding setting beaver bank dens in well established ponds during hot weather include avoiding possibly spooking beavers and avoiding the possibility of catching an alligator, both are reasons that I try to avoid setting bank dens in well established beaver ponds during hot weather unless it’s absolutely necessary for some reason, and it usually isn’t.

Another example is not to try setting up a place that an alligator uses to sun itself. Just because there’s a slick muddy area that looks like “something” has been using it doesn’t necessarily mean beavers have been using it. Common sense goes a long way in all activities, and this one is no different. I’ve never caught an alligator doing this, because I used common sense.

If you incidentally catch a non-target, call your local game wardens to see how they wish to proceed in those situations.

An honest effort to avoid catching these two incidental non-targets should greatly reduce the risk if not totally eliminate it. These have been my experiences and opinions, feel free to share your methods for reducing chances of catching non-targets.

(Updates to my post and pictures to follow)

Good luck

Re: Avoiding Deer, Alligators, and Other Non-Targets [Re: Aix sponsa] #6288941
07/28/18 12:59 PM
07/28/18 12:59 PM
Colesburg, Iowa 52035
M
MINK I LOVE Offline
trapper
MINK I LOVE  Offline
trapper
M

Colesburg, Iowa 52035
Glad I don't have Hogs up here. But anyway In Iowa we are required by Law to have Deer Stops on our Snares [A GOOD LAW] thus not letting the Snare Close to no less than 2 1/2 Inches just in case of a Leg/ankle catch.

I Luckily have never caught one.

I actually Love Trapping Deer Trails for Coyote and Fox as we all know all animals travel on these trails. I place my Stake with Snare on the Deer Trail than cross 2 Longer Sticks/Branches on each side of my set making an X at the top of my set. Which easily forces the Deer to go around my set and the Predators to go into my set then "WHAMMY". Works Excellent for Fox and Coyote and an occasional Big Coon as my Snares are set 8 to 10 inches off the ground for the Taller Animal.

You can have the Gators Aix!!! No Worries up Here.

Re: Avoiding Deer, Alligators, and Other Non-Targets [Re: Aix sponsa] #6290506
07/30/18 05:31 PM
07/30/18 05:31 PM
Port Republic South Jersey
N
Newt Offline
trapper
Newt  Offline
trapper
N

In "NEWT'S WORLD" anything over a snare is a NO NO

A 200# deer will go UNDER something 17" off the walking surface.Rather than going over. It takes less engery.

South Jersey Trapping and Snaring School
January 19-20-21 2024
NEWT -----------------OVER----------------

www.snareone.com
Re: Avoiding Deer, Alligators, and Other Non-Targets [Re: Newt] #6290775
07/30/18 10:33 PM
07/30/18 10:33 PM
Colesburg, Iowa 52035
M
MINK I LOVE Offline
trapper
MINK I LOVE  Offline
trapper
M

Colesburg, Iowa 52035
They don't go over they go around. I Use tall sticks and Branches, a simple very effective set. Iowa deer are BIG but not Santas Deer where they fly and I don't give them any room to duck under with stake and Sticks. Yet to see one in any of my Snares and I won't either. Just tryin to clear any confusion. Deadly on Coyotes and Fox!!!

---My Snares are 10 inches off the Ground for a Head catch of Coyotes Fox and an Occasional Raccoon. Haven't caught a Deer in over 38 years of Snaring---I guess if you give them room they will duck under but like I said with my stakes and Long Branches making an x right over the Snare,there is no room to duck under---

Last edited by MINK I LOVE; 07/31/18 05:28 PM.
Re: Avoiding Deer, Alligators, and Other Non-Targets [Re: Aix sponsa] #6291289
07/31/18 04:40 PM
07/31/18 04:40 PM
Louisiana
AirportTrapper Offline
trapper
AirportTrapper  Offline
trapper

Louisiana
Deer duck right into them here if something is above it.

If it makes a track on this earth , I can catch it.
. [Re: Aix sponsa] #6291723
08/01/18 07:58 AM
08/01/18 07:58 AM
Louisiana
Aix sponsa Offline OP
trapper
Aix sponsa  Offline OP
trapper

Louisiana
Here’s a video of a healthy deer I released from a hog snare

Re: Avoiding Deer, Alligators, and Other Non-Targets [Re: AirportTrapper] #6291979
08/01/18 03:03 PM
08/01/18 03:03 PM
N
Newt Offline
trapper
Newt  Offline
trapper
N

Originally Posted By: AirportTrapper
Deer duck right into them here if something is above it.

THANK YOU

January 19-20-21 2024

www.snareone.com
Re: Avoiding Deer, Alligators, and Other Non-Targets [Re: Aix sponsa] #6292058
08/01/18 05:55 PM
08/01/18 05:55 PM
Colesburg, Iowa 52035
M
MINK I LOVE Offline
trapper
MINK I LOVE  Offline
trapper
M

Colesburg, Iowa 52035
Just telling you all how to avoid a Non Target Deer cause that's what he is asking. And this set has worked for me.For Many Many Years. Set was taught to me as a Youngster and then I later seen it in a Snaring Book. I am just trying to help with whoever has duck unders.

Last edited by MINK I LOVE; 08/01/18 06:01 PM.
Re: Avoiding Deer, Alligators, and Other Non-Targets [Re: Aix sponsa] #6292084
08/01/18 06:26 PM
08/01/18 06:26 PM
N
Newt Offline
trapper
Newt  Offline
trapper
N

Whos snare book ?

January 19-20-21 2024

www.snareone.com
Re: Avoiding Deer, Alligators, and Other Non-Targets [Re: Aix sponsa] #6292103
08/01/18 06:44 PM
08/01/18 06:44 PM
Louisiana
AirportTrapper Offline
trapper
AirportTrapper  Offline
trapper

Louisiana
Keep in mind deer in different parts of the country are different sizes.

Re: Avoiding Deer, Alligators, and Other Non-Targets [Re: Newt] #6292125
08/01/18 07:09 PM
08/01/18 07:09 PM
Colesburg, Iowa 52035
M
MINK I LOVE Offline
trapper
MINK I LOVE  Offline
trapper
M

Colesburg, Iowa 52035
It's been so long ago I can't remember, I was a Teenager. But I remember the illustration like it was yesterday. And the older Trapper that showed me how to make this set. All's I can tell you that this set is crowded where it is impossible for a Deer to duck under. And it Catches lots of Coyotes and Fox and a occasional Big Coon. This set is made on a Deer Trail for a reason. These critters travel these easy routes for a reason.

If I remember the book I will tell you. But believe me I wouldn't have had Great success for 38 year with this set and 0 Deer if it did not work. I am a very picky and precise Trapper.Like I said I am just trying to help. Not undermind anyone Newt. Especially you.

Re: Avoiding Deer, Alligators, and Other Non-Targets [Re: AirportTrapper] #6292126
08/01/18 07:10 PM
08/01/18 07:10 PM
Colesburg, Iowa 52035
M
MINK I LOVE Offline
trapper
MINK I LOVE  Offline
trapper
M

Colesburg, Iowa 52035
Originally Posted By: AirportTrapper
Keep in mind deer in different parts of the country are different sizes.

Yes, that is very true and a Very Good Point.

Re: Avoiding Deer, Alligators, and Other Non-Targets [Re: Aix sponsa] #6292269
08/01/18 09:32 PM
08/01/18 09:32 PM
Colesburg, Iowa 52035
M
MINK I LOVE Offline
trapper
MINK I LOVE  Offline
trapper
M

Colesburg, Iowa 52035
Yes, you are correct!!!

Re: Avoiding Deer, Alligators, and Other Non-Targets [Re: MINK I LOVE] #6292486
08/02/18 06:55 AM
08/02/18 06:55 AM
N
Newt Offline
trapper
Newt  Offline
trapper
N

Originally Posted By: MINK I LOVE
It's been so long ago I can't remember, I was a Teenager. But I remember the illustration like it was yesterday. And the older Trapper that showed me how to make this set. All's I can tell you that this set is crowded where it is impossible for a Deer to duck under. And it Catches lots of Coyotes and Fox and a occasional Big Coon. This set is made on a Deer Trail for a reason. These critters travel these easy routes for a reason.

If I remember the book I will tell you. But believe me I wouldn't have had Great success for 38 year with this set and 0 Deer if it did not work. I am a very picky and precise Trapper.Like I said I am just trying to help. Not undermind anyone Newt. Especially you.

"Long time ago" Key words

Back in 1999,when I wrote MASTER LAND SNARING. a "deer guard" was in my book too.(page 29)
The revised Edition 2012 on page 30. You will see I no longer recomend ANYTHING over the snare.

As we must learn from our mistakes.Yes I'm still learning.

I do see your point tho.
Must say. That you would carcth more fur. If you dont block down your trail as much.
I'm no sportsman. I need to catch all that I can. ITS MY PAY CHECK.
Dont get me wrong. I do my best to avoid insadental catches on non targets.

No offfence taken

January 19-20-21 2024

www.snareone.com
Re: Avoiding Deer, Alligators, and Other Non-Targets [Re: Aix sponsa] #6292515
08/02/18 08:03 AM
08/02/18 08:03 AM
Louisiana
AirportTrapper Offline
trapper
AirportTrapper  Offline
trapper

Louisiana
Even blocking heavy will catch deer here. I have caught them going under some pretty short things. I have found the same as NEWT. Open trail catches more fur. The way I support my snares a deer can walk by and the snare remains set and ready to go.

. [Re: Aix sponsa] #6297977
08/09/18 04:21 PM
08/09/18 04:21 PM
Louisiana
Aix sponsa Offline OP
trapper
Aix sponsa  Offline OP
trapper

Louisiana
[Linked Image]

This is what I refer to as tunnel trail, even though it is through grass and not woody shrubs. Obviously, deer could travel this trail, but evidence suggested they currently weren't using it at the time. This trail was near the center of the highest concentration of hogs when I started snaring them. I set a snare right inside of the grass at the beginning of this trail. If deer are using the trail, there should be evidence of browsing.

[Linked Image]

When hogs are walking in ditches, they leave obvious trails. Let them show you where to hit them, and try to avoid making sets on deer trails. A little common sense goes a long ways.

[Linked Image]

I don't know why they chose this exact location, but small wallows like this one are common when there are hogs around. One starts making a mess, and the next thing you know there's a full blown wallow.

[Linked Image]

Recent hog rub, notice the fresh mud, healthy tree, and hair.

[Linked Image]

Takes quite a bit of rubbing to wear down a tree's trunk, so this tells me that it's a favorite of hogs.

[Linked Image]

A snare set on a rub tree. I caught 8-10 hogs in this grove of damaged pines. They were right on the corner of a thicket/mature timber/rice field and a field drain (gully).

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

They're vulnerable at established wallows.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It doesn't take long for snared hogs to really make a mess of the landscape. These were not mud holes until the snared hogs made them.

Re: . [Re: Aix sponsa] #6544740
05/27/19 09:20 AM
05/27/19 09:20 AM
Louisiana
Aix sponsa Offline OP
trapper
Aix sponsa  Offline OP
trapper

Louisiana
TTT, it’s getting to be that time of year that farmers need to protect their rice crops

Re: . [Re: Aix sponsa] #6544745
05/27/19 09:26 AM
05/27/19 09:26 AM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Too many deer down here. Guess that’s why snaring is not allowed.

Re: . [Re: Aix sponsa] #6545991
05/29/19 09:35 AM
05/29/19 09:35 AM
Alabama
K
KB64 Offline
trapper
KB64  Offline
trapper
K

Alabama
What size cable is the snare hanging on the rub ? Looks bigger than 1/8 ?

Re: . [Re: KB64] #6546153
05/29/19 04:51 PM
05/29/19 04:51 PM
Louisiana
Aix sponsa Offline OP
trapper
Aix sponsa  Offline OP
trapper

Louisiana
Originally Posted by KB64
What size cable is the snare hanging on the rub ? Looks bigger than 1/8 ?

1/8” is the largest cable I have ever used for hogs, so it’s 1/8” or smaller. 7/64” is the largest cable I’ll use for hogs anymore. With any luck, my hog snaring days are behind me. 3/32” 1x19 with a strong swivel behind the loop can handle a heck of a biggun. 7/64” with a proper swivel can handle giants

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91