ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Pocket gopher question #6298810
08/10/18 07:04 PM
08/10/18 07:04 PM
Northern Minnesota
W
webfootwhacker Offline OP
trapper
webfootwhacker  Offline OP
trapper
W

Northern Minnesota
What is your interpretation of my recent plugged hole. Two traps - one facing each direction - gopher in one trap and hole plugged tight. Did he plug it from one side and catch him coming from the other way, or was it a second gopher? I usually pull after catching one animal so, even though I have seen this before, I haven't developed my own theory yet. This time, I stuck it out. What has been your experience?

Re: Pocket gopher question [Re: webfootwhacker] #6298937
08/10/18 10:56 PM
08/10/18 10:56 PM
Frazee, MN
B
backroadsarcher Offline
trapper
backroadsarcher  Offline
trapper
B

Frazee, MN
I have caught multiple gophers out of a hole. If you are in a heavily infested area their tunnels intertwine amongst each other. Put a trap back in if it isn't bothered with in a couple of days then pull it.

Re: Pocket gopher question [Re: webfootwhacker] #6299147
08/11/18 10:07 AM
08/11/18 10:07 AM
Northern Minnesota
W
trapper
trapper
W

Northern Minnesota
I have caught a double once, and maybe two out if one hole once too, can't remember for sure.

This is a residential yard with three clusters of mounds, though many look quite old. I only had activity at only one of four locations (I set two mounds in one cluster) that resulted in the plug/catch. Will be interesting to see if ant show up at the other mounds.

Re: Pocket gopher question [Re: webfootwhacker] #6299275
08/11/18 01:40 PM
08/11/18 01:40 PM
South Texas
A
Aggie73 Offline
trapper
Aggie73  Offline
trapper
A

South Texas
A complete "coverup" of the trap set is more common in my experience for skittish gophers. Even then, digging out my traps will still result in a catch a small percent of the time. They must have other connecting tunnels that lead them to the other no-covered trap in these cases. I always probe the tunnels when I fail to catch a gopher and sometimes find they have plugged/blocked in front of the traps. If plugged or covered up, I usually re-set on another mound/tunnel one more time and without bait (PB). I set traps one day and always check them the next day.

Gophers are extremely territorial EXCEPT during the breeding season and when mama is raising her young. Doubles are more common during the breeding season and at dispersal of the young. This is only a SWAG but coverups and plugged tunnels seem to be more prevalent during the dispersal period mentioned and when males and females are "chasing each other around the room!"

"Happier than a gopher in wet sand."
Re: Pocket gopher question [Re: webfootwhacker] #6299591
08/11/18 11:08 PM
08/11/18 11:08 PM
Northern Minnesota
W
trapper
trapper
W

Northern Minnesota
Thanks for the thoughts, Aggie. My set looked just like your pic. I did not check today due to no activity at the other mounds, but will post what I find when I go back.

Re: Pocket gopher question [Re: webfootwhacker] #6300139
08/12/18 06:29 PM
08/12/18 06:29 PM
Northern Minnesota
W
trapper
trapper
W

Northern Minnesota
After 48 hours, no activity at any of the mounds. I guess the trap burier got around to the other side to get caught. Pulled out and told him if he had any mounds in the next month, I'd come back at no charge.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread