No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: The infamous 4 yr degree. [Re: Hatchetman] #6302459
08/15/18 11:35 AM
08/15/18 11:35 AM
mi. u.p
grapestomper Offline
trapper
grapestomper  Offline
trapper

mi. u.p
Both my stepdaughters have 4 year degrees.
Neither have jobs in the field they went to school for.
The jobs they have don't pay to well.
They both have college debt that they will be paying on for years.
I think the kids have to have the motivation to work if they want to go to college.
My two boys have about 5 years before college age.
They will have a decision to make at that time. Hopefully they will have the work ethic to decide what to do.
I have worked hard and they can see what you can get by working hard.
Time will tell.

Re: The infamous 4 yr degree. [Re: Hatchetman] #6302469
08/15/18 11:45 AM
08/15/18 11:45 AM
Nevada
N
nvwrangler Offline
trapper
nvwrangler  Offline
trapper
N

Nevada
Back in the 80's my dad told me the "middle class" assembly line type jobs were on the way out, foreign labor vs union labor the jobs would leave. He said there would be 2 types of jobs here Professional vs service and as stated here by several professionals they need certain types of service that they can't do them selves. I was told to follow my dreams and was free to choose my path, I choose wrong lumber mill LOL. Bounced around some and always worked but by stroke of luck found a way to use the skills I had acquired to make a career out of in the government sector.

While the HVAC tec has to see the doctor or lawyer remember that they won't sit too long in an office that has no air conditioning or heat and will call the HAVC tec and pay his price. As for bowhunter's daughter if she has the knowledge there is always someone that has to inspect the work.

Re: The infamous 4 yr degree. [Re: Lugnut] #6302473
08/15/18 11:52 AM
08/15/18 11:52 AM
East-Central Wisconsin
B
bblwi Online content
trapper
bblwi  Online Content
trapper
B

East-Central Wisconsin
I taught at a tech college for 31 years that had a strong apprentice program in 4-5 different areas. Female students were very few. Our son in law owns a mechanical contracting business with 60-70 employees and has few if any females in the trades. Why? Females can find good employment in the medical fields, education, HR and middle management as there are far more females going to college than men in our current culture. Locally I know two females that work on construction crews, one is a carpenter and the other works in cement contracting. (Her father employed her for years b4 he retired.) Another is an electrician and that works well for her. Another reason there are fewer in the trades is many times males make it difficult for them to join in and be part of the crews and or labor picture. Our son in law says it is a difficult employment tight rope to walk and he knows that more dependable employees may be lost due to the culture that exists.

Bryce

Re: The infamous 4 yr degree. [Re: bowhunter27295] #6302479
08/15/18 11:55 AM
havelock, NC
Rye Offline
trapper
Rye  Offline
trapper

havelock, NC
Originally Posted By: bowhunter27295

My daughter on the other hand is more difficult to recommend a trade. Yeah, I know, girl power, blah blah blah. Women cannot be successful in difficult trades that require physical strength. So in my simple mind, I hope for her to be able to capitalize on mental power. I continue to speak with her about going to a sales school. One that seriously teaches sales. Body language, correct verbiage, tact, presentation and all that jazz. I think anyone could do well if they learn how to sell stuff.

So trades are fantastic in my opinion. What trades can be recommended for females?

HVAC is entirely possible for your daughter too. Home Service is a solid living and often doesn't require much more than being brave enough to crawl into some crappy places. Other trades? Consider what people need in life. Not want, but need. They have to be born, Eat, Shelter, and die. Plenty of options in those categories. Perhaps opening her own poultry business, raising free range birds, for egg sales, as well as free range meat birds for local sale at the near by farmers markets. Friends of mine use pastures to free range their chickens and a mobile chicken house to move pastures, then sell the birds at markets and through a recurring sales program they have. It's done well enough that He is about to quit his full time job, wife is a stay at home. Point being that small scale farming is doable, esp if she gets into the quasi-organic side of things doing a handful of custom grows. Mortician is also a valid need/ funeral director. Nursing will never go away, but does require college. Pharmaceutical sales is big money, but of the five or six I knew that did it, all were drunks and one a pill head. Sales is an environment where Narcissist do the best (sorry if that's offensive)
Point is focus her in areas were the need will never go away.

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living; the world owes you nothing; it was here first. "
--Mark Twain.

Re: The infamous 4 yr degree. [Re: Hatchetman] #6302481
Asheville, NC
C
charles Offline
trapper
charles  Offline
trapper
C

Asheville, NC

A lesson todays kids have not learned is that you only get out of a job what you are willing to put in. Work hard, be the best employee ever, and know what the businesses objectives are. Think like your boss.

Some job experiences can teach you what you do not want to do with the rest of your life. I learned a few of those on a farm and in the military, and they enriched my future work ethic.

Last edited by charles; 08/15/18 12:04 PM.
Re: The infamous 4 yr degree. [Re: Hatchetman] #6302491
08/15/18 12:13 PM
08/15/18 12:13 PM
EC Indiana
M
MikeC Offline
trapper
MikeC  Offline
trapper
M

EC Indiana
My son went to UNOH in Lima Oh. Actually a very impressive school. I was thinking a trade school with a couple buildings or so. Was done in 17 months, had a job quickly with a small family HVAC company that installs geo's in several states. He has worked into service and works 50-60 hours a week, his choice. Now makes more than I do and loves it. He would never lasted in a four year school. Mike

Re: The infamous 4 yr degree. [Re: MikeC] #6302531
08/15/18 01:02 PM
08/15/18 01:02 PM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
That reminds me of my neighbors kid. He's a hard working honest young man who loves to work on cars and trucks. I recently wrote a recommendation for him to the local Boy Scout Eagle Scout Review Panel. Ain't no way that boy was ever going to make it though four years of college. He went to vo-tech for diesel mechanics and was guaranteed a job with a local company before he graduated. He's working for them now, making great money and loving it!

Eh...wot?

Re: The infamous 4 yr degree. [Re: Hatchetman] #6302548
08/15/18 01:35 PM
08/15/18 01:35 PM
Akron, Ohio
bass10 Offline
trapper
bass10  Offline
trapper

Akron, Ohio
Well although college isn't for everyone my 24 year old daughter and 22 year old son both graduated from University of Akron with business degrees. My wife and I helped some with $$. They both commuted because we live 20 minutes outside of Akron because dorm was on their dime, they both made a wise choice, saved thousands and we got them both at home for 4 years. My daughter is in Culture and People development (HR) for a large building supply company and my son is in sales for Crown Lift Trucks. Both make mid 60's and I am 90% confident that both will be pushing $100 within 5 years. Theres jobs to live on and then theres jobs that you can make a lot more money at working just as hard as someone else. I bust my hump everyday to make 1/4 of someone that doesn't hold a candle to my ethic.

"The more people I meet the more I love my dog!"
Re: The infamous 4 yr degree. [Re: Hatchetman] #6302552
08/15/18 01:45 PM
08/15/18 01:45 PM

S
sanfo008
Unregistered
sanfo008
Unregistered
S

My undergrad degree was not a requirement to get my job. I got my job due to my experience in the field and the required training that I had already received. My degree has been invaluable for promotions. Right or wrong, that piece of paper weighs more than years of experience and on the job education in our promotional process. I'll graduate next summer with my masters because it is a preferred qualification for the things I want to do in the future. The other preferred qual is advanced leadership training. I've been lucky enough to be accepted to the FBI National Academy in April, so I'll have to spend 10 weeks in Quantico starting April 1. It's not that I'm learning anything life changing, but I'm checking the boxes I need to check to move myself to the front of the line in the future. I don't necessarily agree with how it works, but that's how it works none the less. If I didn't do these things I would be doing myself a disservice.

I tell people that all that piece of paper does is check off a box on an application, and it shows that you will finish something that you start. It doesn't mean you know your rear end from a hole in the ground. Done properly, college SHOULD NOT teach you WHAT to think, rather HOW to think; as in the process of critical thinking. In much the same way trade school teaches you to perform a task by repetition and experience, college teaches you problem solving though repetition and experience.

That being said it is not for everyone. That's not a bad thing or a good thing, it's just the way the world works. Trying to force everyone down the higher ed pipeline is unfair to many people who spend a lot of money getting a degree they can't use (or at least can't afford to pay for), or worse yet dropping out and having the debt with no degree. Why not go to school for two years to learn a trade? Get good at it, hire people to work for you, and make more money than all of us!

Re: The infamous 4 yr degree. [Re: Hatchetman] #6302563
08/15/18 01:56 PM
08/15/18 01:56 PM
WV
G
garymc Offline
trapper
garymc  Offline
trapper
G

WV
I started out in skilled trades as an electrician. I went to Vocational School in High School and obtained my electrical license. Working in the field provided me with the motivation to get a 4 year degree in Electrical Engineering. I agree that everyone is not cut out for college, but my four year degree along with the experience I gained in the skilled trade of electrician and an engineering internship while in college have opened many doors for me in my lifetime. As a manager of 14 electricians and electrical technicians, I have had the best success with employees that obtained their skill in the military. They have discipline, real world knowledge, and great work ethic. I can see a time in the near future in my area of the country where it will be an accomplishment if you can get someone to show up everyday scheduled and on time regardless of skill.

Last edited by garymc; 08/15/18 01:57 PM.
Re: The infamous 4 yr degree. [Re: garymc] #6302678
08/15/18 05:50 PM
08/15/18 05:50 PM
Sandhills Nebraska
G
Gary Benson Offline
trapper
Gary Benson  Offline
trapper
G

Sandhills Nebraska
Originally Posted By: garymc
I can see a time in the near future in my area of the country where it will be an accomplishment if you can get someone to show up everyday scheduled and on time regardless of skill.

Boy howdy! I finished my working career as a garbage truck driver. Even in that business, it's to the point where the drivers come to work when they want to, as you can't hire anybody to replace them that will do any better! As long as they get the work done by the end of the day...

Life ain't supposed to be easy.
Re: The infamous 4 yr degree. [Re: Hatchetman] #6302692
08/15/18 06:22 PM
08/15/18 06:22 PM
North East Kansas
Marty Offline
trapper
Marty  Offline
trapper

North East Kansas
bs, ms, phd.

bullpoo, more poo, piled high and deep..... laugh

E
'Honey Badger Militia'
Sleep, the anti woke adote.
Re: The infamous 4 yr degree. [Re: Marty] #6302753
08/15/18 07:43 PM
08/15/18 07:43 PM
East-Central Wisconsin
B
bblwi Online content
trapper
bblwi  Online Content
trapper
B

East-Central Wisconsin
Some of the new booming career areas for younger workers allow huge opportunities for flex time and different schedules and a huge number of benefits etc. and they are working out very well. What it takes is management that understands how the workforce can get done what is needed done in a specific time and they don't spend their time counting seconds or reviewing cameras etc. Not easy transitions for most boomers or genxers but the younger groups are doing well with these norms. There will always be a place for the trades and the more the economy shifts toward service versus manufacturing there should be solid futures for those that want those careers.

Bryce

Re: The infamous 4 yr degree. [Re: TurkeyTime] #6302763
08/15/18 07:59 PM
08/15/18 07:59 PM
Northeast Oklahoma
M
Mike in A-town Offline
trapper
Mike in A-town  Offline
trapper
M

Northeast Oklahoma
Originally Posted By: TurkeyTime
What the previous two said. Some good jobs require degrees simple as that. I do see that in the future Mexican labor will put a hurt on manual/skilled labor. It is creeping along. Some of the labor unions really need to be careful as their pay, work, benefits, etc. are so high it is really inviting the cheap Mexican labor to come in.

I've made a pile of money fixing the mess that cheap labor installed.

Mike

One man with a gun may control 100 others who have none.

Vladimir Lenin
Re: The infamous 4 yr degree. [Re: Hatchetman] #6302805
08/15/18 09:05 PM
08/15/18 09:05 PM
2A Sanctuaries-W. OK & N. NM
Blaine County Offline
trapper
Blaine County  Offline
trapper

2A Sanctuaries-W. OK & N. NM
Some of my wealthiest clients skipped college, rolled up their sleeves and got to work. These guys are in the minority but they certainly exist.

I would be perfectly happy if anyone of my children wanted to pursue a trade and work hard at that trade. I would also be perfectly happy if anyone of them studied hard sciences, engineering or accounting.

What we don't need (and what I would strongly discourage in my house) is a useless degree. The world needs more electricians way more than it needs another sociology major.

Re: The infamous 4 yr degree. [Re: Hatchetman] #6302827
08/15/18 09:18 PM
08/15/18 09:18 PM
Asheville, NC
C
charles Offline
trapper
charles  Offline
trapper
C

Asheville, NC
Let's hear from a successful college professional who regrets going to college.

Re: The infamous 4 yr degree. [Re: charles] #6302857
08/15/18 09:36 PM
08/15/18 09:36 PM
Nevada
N
nvwrangler Offline
trapper
nvwrangler  Offline
trapper
N

Nevada
Originally Posted By: charles
Let's hear from a successful college professional who regrets going to college.

That's not the issue its the unsuccessful deep in debt ones that have worthless degrees and 50000 in loans that parents worry about their kids ending up as.

Re: The infamous 4 yr degree. [Re: nvwrangler] #6302905
08/15/18 10:08 PM
08/15/18 10:08 PM
East-Central Wisconsin
B
bblwi Online content
trapper
bblwi  Online Content
trapper
B

East-Central Wisconsin
One of the advantages of having specific degrees is one can get careers or jobs in fields they like or enjoy even if they are not the highest paying and or ways to make lots of money. Learning to manage ones lifestyle to fit ones income something mature minded people learn to do and those that don't learn that many times have issues regardless of how much they make.

Bryce

Re: The infamous 4 yr degree. [Re: white17] #6303078
08/16/18 07:29 AM
08/16/18 07:29 AM
Northeast Oklahoma
M
Mike in A-town Offline
trapper
Mike in A-town  Offline
trapper
M

Northeast Oklahoma
Originally Posted By: white17
Originally Posted By: bowhunter27295

My daughter on the other hand is more difficult to recommend a trade. Yeah, I know, girl power, blah blah blah. Women cannot be successful in difficult trades that require physical strength. So in my simple mind, I hope for her to be able to capitalize on mental power. I continue to speak with her about going to a sales school. One that seriously teaches sales. Body language, correct verbiage, tact, presentation and all that jazz. I think anyone could do well if they learn how to sell stuff.

So trades are fantastic in my opinion. What trades can be recommended for females?

If she has worked with you she has likely seen all the different trades in action.

IF she is interested in a trade I would suggest electrician and eventually, an electrical administrators license. Not a lot of need for brute strength but does require some knowledge and the ability to learn and reason.

Electrical work, on average, is not nearly as physically demanding as some of the other trades. There are times when it's intensely physical, but that's the exception and not the rule.

My latest apprentice is a woman and she does fine. I'm not sure how well she would have done with the crew installing 5" rigid, but that's a tough job no matter how big and bad a guy is.

Electrical work has many specialties that a person can settle into and make a good living... Fiber work, fire alarm, Tele/Data/Comm, PLC's... Lots of good jobs where you get paid for thinking instead of sweating.

Mike

One man with a gun may control 100 others who have none.

Vladimir Lenin
Re: The infamous 4 yr degree. [Re: Hatchetman] #6303095
08/16/18 08:09 AM
08/16/18 08:09 AM
North East Kansas
Marty Offline
trapper
Marty  Offline
trapper

North East Kansas
Hard work never killed anyone.

Hard to find an American to do any today.

E
'Honey Badger Militia'
Sleep, the anti woke adote.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread