ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Another completed barrier job #6312236
08/28/18 08:40 AM
08/28/18 08:40 AM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline OP
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline OP
trapper
B

SW Pa
Before and After photos. Not a large project about 34 linear feet in all, but a good ad on service for many years of problem animals getting under an add on to a home.

Groundhogs, skunks, feral cats and opossums frequented, burrowed and some died under this addition to cause foul decaying odors to filter up into the home over the last few years. No more problems now.

I have found most customers prefer the exposed wood framing look over lattice which was previously used to attempt to guard the open area.
This client also preferred to leave the lattice off of the framing in the end. Lattice and sheets of heavy foam board had been used by a handy man in an attempt to help this client.

The customer is going to build a large flower box across the bottom of the barrier framing to dress up the rough back fill of various block and rock pieces that had been left after the addition construction had been completed.

It will look nice once the flower box has been established with annuals and perennials.

Re: Another completed barrier job [Re: Bob Jameson] #6312321
08/28/18 10:20 AM
08/28/18 10:20 AM
Wisconsin, USA
Traps R Us Offline
trapper
Traps R Us  Offline
trapper

Wisconsin, USA
looks very nice, great job!
I see the combination of mesh and dig defence is popular.
Did you do the wood framing?
Why did you stop short with dig defence at the very right? foundation there?

Re: Another completed barrier job [Re: Bob Jameson] #6312450
08/28/18 02:43 PM
08/28/18 02:43 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline OP
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline OP
trapper
B

SW Pa
I do most all the framing on our barrier jobs for the most part. My employees do some on their own. I do the ones that the clients seem to be more particular with what the final framing looks like. If we are facing off with lattice it really doesn't matter.

On occasion I may have one of my guys assist if they aren't on other calls. I really only need assistance when framing the wire grid and driving the dig defence. I can do most framing work alone as I prefer to take my time to make sure things are the way I would like them to look.

There was terra cotta block and cement blocks used as fill in the far right corner. You can't drive any spikes down the way the back fill was left. No animal digging will get thru that area as far as I could determine. There is some cement footer in the corner also down deep.

Re: Another completed barrier job [Re: Bob Jameson] #6312727
08/28/18 08:26 PM
08/28/18 08:26 PM
Crossville,TN
A
ACP Offline
trapper
ACP  Offline
trapper
A

Crossville,TN
Thanks for showing your work. I try to push exclusions as often as possible but I don't get alot of takers.

Re: Another completed barrier job [Re: Bob Jameson] #6313016
08/29/18 07:43 AM
08/29/18 07:43 AM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline OP
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline OP
trapper
B

SW Pa
We get more exclusion work every year. Particularly with skunk problems that are recurring over the last few years.Some clients are content to just want to pay the annual trapping fees for ground hog and skunk trapping work. In time some see the merit in the service.

This particular job I bid it in May of this spring and the younger gal just called a couple of weeks back to say she decided to get it done. She had two dead animal odor problems that got up under the house that was quite bad over a couple of months. That was all it took in this case. She just couldn't deal with this continuing trend.

We carry wire and barrier grid samples to show the clients and photos of some completed jobs. Many times that helps to sell the work with photos to show them a typical finished product. Some will call back in a few days and wish to have the work done asap. We got some real good jobs this spring. You can get some good income from these barriers we have found once you learn how to bid them right.

We don't want to get into a lot of contracting type work but it is an effective ad on service that will continue to pay dividends over the years. Once you establish your exclusion and framing model it is much easier each job that is done there after.

Many of these jobs come in at just the right time in the spring when our usual mole season is beginning to slow down. So things just seem to work out nicely. I can also work on these projects at my leisure usually and still be free to take other work and come back to it until completed.

We also put an Excluder device into the finished barrier near the suspected burrow or deck entry point for a few days to ensure that we don't trap anything within the barrier.

Years ago when I was younger I didn't do much barrier work as I wasn't confident in how things would look and work out. Then it was usually a lot of digging etc., a job that I didn't look forward in doing. With new tools, materials and some experience you can do a great job and add to your income and offer professional services with confidence and pride.

If I can do this kind of work I know anyone can. Learn to use basic hand tools, a rule, saw, level and a speed square at your own pace and check your work well before you cut and install your components and it will all work out good.

I don't usually take the time to document work but in my senior years I would like to pass on a few things that photos help to explain methods and appearance much better for someone else who may benefit some day.

Re: Another completed barrier job [Re: Bob Jameson] #6313121
08/29/18 09:48 AM
08/29/18 09:48 AM
Crossville,TN
A
ACP Offline
trapper
ACP  Offline
trapper
A

Crossville,TN
I definitely appreciate your time and the spreading of knowledge. I'm sure that myself and other new guys can benefit heavily from what you and other folks have learned

Re: Another completed barrier job [Re: Bob Jameson] #6313218
08/29/18 12:16 PM
08/29/18 12:16 PM
South Texas
A
Aggie73 Offline
trapper
Aggie73  Offline
trapper
A

South Texas
Bob - Thank you for sharing your tips and ideas. And your "pics paint a thousand words!" There are quite a few vets on this forum that share their ADC experiences. All of us benefit!

"Happier than a gopher in wet sand."
Re: Another completed barrier job [Re: Bob Jameson] #6334465
09/27/18 02:25 PM
09/27/18 02:25 PM
Mississippi
Mississippi Offline
trapper
Mississippi  Offline
trapper

Mississippi
looks great

Spending time with kids outdoors will built memories that last a lifetime.
Re: Another completed barrier job [Re: Bob Jameson] #6334611
09/27/18 05:03 PM
09/27/18 05:03 PM
Wisconsin, USA
Traps R Us Offline
trapper
Traps R Us  Offline
trapper

Wisconsin, USA
Done a little exclusion job myself recently.
It's a crawlspace under a historical building, had tons of problems over the years with raccoons, foxes etc. being under the building.
Sorry for going a little overboard on the pictures.

Re: Another completed barrier job [Re: Bob Jameson] #6334742
09/27/18 07:09 PM
09/27/18 07:09 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline OP
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline OP
trapper
B

SW Pa
That looks like a fine job, good for you. I would keep some of your photos on file as they can be used for future jobs to reference your quality of work. They will come in handy and most likely sell some more work for you.

Bob Jameson

Re: Another completed barrier job [Re: Bob Jameson] #6334790
09/27/18 07:50 PM
09/27/18 07:50 PM
Woodhull, Illinois 77
J
Jim Bethell Offline
trapper
Jim Bethell  Offline
trapper
J

Woodhull, Illinois 77
Looks great. Quality work for sure.

Re: Another completed barrier job [Re: Bob Jameson] #6335075
09/28/18 02:51 AM
09/28/18 02:51 AM
West Michigan
G
Getting There Offline
trapper
Getting There  Offline
trapper
G

West Michigan
Sure made the place look nice and will keep the animals out also!

To Old
U.S. Army 60-63 SGT.
Re: Another completed barrier job [Re: Bob Jameson] #6336963
09/30/18 01:42 PM
09/30/18 01:42 PM
Wisconsin, USA
Traps R Us Offline
trapper
Traps R Us  Offline
trapper

Wisconsin, USA
Thanks for the positive comments. Just want to quickly show another job, where we left the mesh panels exposed, the client did not want to add any lattice work in front of it, and I think it turned out beautifully, I like the look very much. Sometimes lattice can be too much.

Re: Another completed barrier job [Re: Bob Jameson] #6339928
10/04/18 09:58 AM
10/04/18 09:58 AM
Southern Wisconsin
F
Fishdog One Offline
trapper
Fishdog One  Offline
trapper
F

Southern Wisconsin
You do nice work on the exclusion jobs, my Dad was a contractor, but was never asked to do anything like that. Dad is 91, a lot less nuisance wildlife when he was working for a living.

Born twice, die once
Re: Another completed barrier job [Re: Bob Jameson] #6340018
10/04/18 11:34 AM
10/04/18 11:34 AM
Wisconsin, USA
Traps R Us Offline
trapper
Traps R Us  Offline
trapper

Wisconsin, USA
thanks Fishdog! From what I can tell these jobs don't find you, but you need to find them by up-selling. I ask clients if that is something they might be interested in when I see they have a lot of issues with animals under structures.

Re: Another completed barrier job [Re: Bob Jameson] #6340578
10/05/18 07:59 AM
10/05/18 07:59 AM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline OP
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline OP
trapper
B

SW Pa
I believe many ADC operators need to become better salesman when they see a potential or existing problem then speak with the client about a solution to their problem. Many would be surprised as to how receptive a customer would be.

Many don't realize that a solution for their problem exists. I realize some operators don't feel they have the skills to do such work but with all the support and information sharing available today no one should be leaving potential $$ on the table.

There is a good market for this type of add on service. I have had many folks call months or a year later to accept a service option that was suggested to them previously.

I think everyone should give this work more attention as it does pay dividends if the right circumstance presents itself. I have bid one building or house deck only to be asked if we can do the other out buildings on their property as well.

One good barrier job would take many trapping jobs to equal the same amount of revenue. I realize it isn't trapping related but it is directly related to our business.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread