No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Pink Floyd claymation, a case for liberalism. #6335839
09/28/18 11:40 PM
09/28/18 11:40 PM
MN
FlyinFinn Offline OP
trapper
FlyinFinn  Offline OP
trapper

MN
Before America's political decline into identity politics, Liberals had a true message to send. That of watching out for those on the bottom of the pyramid. The downtrodden, the 'working class'. I would've disagreed with their political philosophy then, but at least they had an ethos. This song reminds me of them, and reminds me that I am responsible to help those in need. I am.

Re: Pink Floyd claymation, a case for liberalism. [Re: FlyinFinn] #6335844
09/28/18 11:49 PM
09/28/18 11:49 PM
Central Oregon
AntiGov Offline
trapper
AntiGov  Offline
trapper

Central Oregon
I'm in need of a box of .270 ammo ..........and since you accept the responsibility to meet that need ........when can I collect ?

Report a post club - Non member

Re: Pink Floyd claymation, a case for liberalism. [Re: FlyinFinn] #6335848
09/29/18 12:05 AM
09/29/18 12:05 AM
MN
FlyinFinn Offline OP
trapper
FlyinFinn  Offline OP
trapper

MN
Send me your address, son. If .270 ammo is your need I can fulfill.

Re: Pink Floyd claymation, a case for liberalism. [Re: FlyinFinn] #6335860
09/29/18 12:45 AM
09/29/18 12:45 AM
East of the Mason-Dixon Line
DelawareRob Offline
trapper
DelawareRob  Offline
trapper

Finn, we should all be reminded that it is our responsibility to help those in need. It is also our duty to remind everyone that it isn’t the governments responsibility to take our money and dole it out to who they think needs it.

Who is John Galt?

You don't rise to the occasion, you fall to the level of your training.

Semper Paratus
Re: Pink Floyd claymation, a case for liberalism. [Re: FlyinFinn] #6335861
09/29/18 12:48 AM
09/29/18 12:48 AM
DelawareRob Offline
trapper
DelawareRob  Offline
trapper

That’s was a good video by the way and a great song!

Who is John Galt?

Semper Paratus
Re: Pink Floyd claymation, a case for liberalism. [Re: FlyinFinn] #6335868
09/29/18 01:27 AM
09/29/18 01:27 AM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
I think most people are only a few steps, at most, away from being homeless. Homeless isn't about a lack of jobs, or a lack of skills, or discrimination, or any of the other dozens of reasons people like to toss out there. Homeless is about a lack of will.... to live. It starts at the moment when, for whatever reason, people choose to stop participating in life as we know it. It may be a divorce, an addiction, a war, a loss of a loved one or any combination of possible things. At some point, people just say they are done with this world and being a part of it. They stop going to, or looking for work, stop paying their rent or mortgage, etc.., until they are on the streets and truth be told, they don't want to get off the streets... or rather... don't care whether they do, or don't. Life as we all know it is gone for them, they live moment to moment with no thought towards the future.

So my feelings on helping them are mixed. I'd be much more likely to offer $100 and a home cooked meal to a homeless person for 5 hours of labor at my home, than I would be to drop $20 in a hat. I'll help anyone who's wanting to make their way back up, but if someone has no desire to be helped, you're just throwing money into a chasm. All that said, I might still buy a pint of whiskey for a drunk with a creative enough sign, LOL

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: Pink Floyd claymation, a case for liberalism. [Re: yotetrapper30] #6335872
09/29/18 01:44 AM
09/29/18 01:44 AM
DelawareRob Offline
trapper
DelawareRob  Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: yotetrapper30
I think most people are only a few steps, at most, away from being homeless. Homeless isn't about a lack of jobs, or a lack of skills, or discrimination, or any of the other dozens of reasons people like to toss out there. Homeless is about a lack of will.... to live. It starts at the moment when, for whatever reason, people choose to stop participating in life as we know it. It may be a divorce, an addiction, a war, a loss of a loved one or any combination of possible things. At some point, people just say they are done with this world and being a part of it. They stop going to, or looking for work, stop paying their rent or mortgage, etc.., until they are on the streets and truth be told, they don't want to get off the streets... or rather... don't care whether they do, or don't. Life as we all know it is gone for them, they live moment to moment with no thought towards the future.

So my feelings on helping them are mixed. I'd be much more likely to offer $100 and a home cooked meal to a homeless person for 5 hours of labor at my home, than I would be to drop $20 in a hat. I'll help anyone who's wanting to make their way back up, but if someone has no desire to be helped, you're just throwing money into a chasm. All that said, I might still buy a pint of whiskey for a drunk with a creative enough sign, LOL

I agree Angela, we have some “homeless” people around here who choose to be homeless so they don’t have to work. They make enough begging to get by for the day, I refuse to help them.

Who is John Galt?

Semper Paratus
Re: Pink Floyd claymation, a case for liberalism. [Re: FlyinFinn] #6335887
09/29/18 04:50 AM
09/29/18 04:50 AM
PA
G
gryhkl Offline
trapper
gryhkl  Offline
trapper
G

PA
A great song from a great band.
Great message too.

Re: Pink Floyd claymation, a case for liberalism. [Re: FlyinFinn] #6335928
09/29/18 06:47 AM
09/29/18 06:47 AM
Beatrice, NE
L
loosegoose Offline
trapper
loosegoose  Offline
trapper
L

Beatrice, NE
We are all absolutely called to care for the downtrodden. The only caveat is, that cant come through the government (welfare, social security, medicare/cade, etc). True charity comes from the heart and not at gunpoint. That's literal, too. If you don't pay your taxes long enough men with guns will come for you. Think of how much money you'd have to give to the causes of your choice or to help those around you if you didn't have to give so much of your hard earned money to the government.

Re: Pink Floyd claymation, a case for liberalism. [Re: FlyinFinn] #6335962
09/29/18 07:43 AM
09/29/18 07:43 AM
Iowa
T
trapdog1 Offline
trapper
trapdog1  Offline
trapper
T

Iowa
But the goverment is much smarter than you, goose, and knows best where to spend your money.

Re: Pink Floyd claymation, a case for liberalism. [Re: FlyinFinn] #6335963
09/29/18 07:46 AM
09/29/18 07:46 AM
Beatrice, NE
L
loosegoose Offline
trapper
loosegoose  Offline
trapper
L

Beatrice, NE
And they're so efficient with it too smile

Re: Pink Floyd claymation, a case for liberalism. [Re: FlyinFinn] #6335978
09/29/18 08:06 AM
09/29/18 08:06 AM
meadowview, Virginia
E
EdP Offline
trapper
EdP  Offline
trapper
E

meadowview, Virginia
Quote:

I agree with everything but the first sentence. To me "most people" are willing to step up and fight through the adversities life throws in their path, not just lay down and let others take care of them. The rest are as described and I have little sympathy for them. We have some local panhandlers who regularly hang around the exit from Walmart smoking cigs, their dog on a leash, and a sign and hat out. Not a single cent will they get from me. BTW, there is a McDonalds right there too with a help wanted sign in front.

Re: Pink Floyd claymation, a case for liberalism. [Re: FlyinFinn] #6335987
09/29/18 08:21 AM
09/29/18 08:21 AM
ohio
T
tomahawker Offline
trapper
tomahawker  Offline
trapper
T

ohio
I lived in the big city for 5 years. Homeless people want to be homeless. There are exceptions, those few who truly need a hand to get back up. Most deserve their fate if not seek it out.

Last edited by tomahawker; 09/29/18 08:22 AM.
Re: Pink Floyd claymation, a case for liberalism. [Re: FlyinFinn] #6336004
09/29/18 08:56 AM
09/29/18 08:56 AM
Illinois
foxkidd44 Offline
trapper
foxkidd44  Offline
trapper

Illinois
I gotta admit.......it kinda hit me smack dab in the feels

Stand by your principles, Stand by your guns, and victory complete and permanent is sure at last.
Abraham Lincoln
Re: Pink Floyd claymation, a case for liberalism. [Re: FlyinFinn] #6336005
09/29/18 08:58 AM
09/29/18 08:58 AM
east central WI
D
Dirty D Offline
trapper
Dirty D  Offline
trapper
D

east central WI
Another side of this, look at San Fransisco and Portland, they have been more than welcoming to the homeless.
Look what its done to these once great cities. Crap on the streets, needles all over the streets.
Its ruined these cities.

Maybe in between ignoring and coddling there is answer to help these people.
I know one thing for certain, Government is not going to fix it.

Re: Pink Floyd claymation, a case for liberalism. [Re: yotetrapper30] #6336012
09/29/18 09:07 AM
09/29/18 09:07 AM
michigan
M
mjh Offline
trapper
mjh  Offline
trapper
M

michigan
Originally Posted By: yotetrapper30

WRONG. It happens and not for the idiotic reasons you gave

Re: Pink Floyd claymation, a case for liberalism. [Re: FlyinFinn] #6336020
09/29/18 09:19 AM
09/29/18 09:19 AM

J
J Staton
Unregistered
J Staton
Unregistered
J

I was taught to help those which are down trodden. Widows and orphans are a good example.
I was also taught that if someone is able to work but refuses to do so, they don't eat.

Re: Pink Floyd claymation, a case for liberalism. [Re: FlyinFinn] #6336033
09/29/18 09:36 AM
09/29/18 09:36 AM
PA
G
gryhkl Offline
trapper
gryhkl  Offline
trapper
G

PA
Bad choice after bad choice after bad choice, and being trained to believe it somebody else's fault is what keeps many folks in the mess they find themselves in.
That said, there are many working poor who can't get healthcare because they make too little to pay for insurance. Those who refuse to work usually have it easier than those who work for little, even though we taxpayers subsidize the wage their employers pay them......kind of us to help the downtrodden and they folks they work for.

Re: Pink Floyd claymation, a case for liberalism. [Re: FlyinFinn] #6336047
09/29/18 09:48 AM
09/29/18 09:48 AM
MN
FlyinFinn Offline OP
trapper
FlyinFinn  Offline OP
trapper

MN
Jordan Peterson explains why the political right and left need each other in order for society to continue to succeed.

Last edited by FlyinFinn; 09/29/18 09:49 AM.
Re: Pink Floyd claymation, a case for liberalism. [Re: FlyinFinn] #6336050
09/29/18 09:51 AM
09/29/18 09:51 AM
Beatrice, NE
L
loosegoose Offline
trapper
loosegoose  Offline
trapper
L

Beatrice, NE
My own stepfather was a homeless meth head for a while. He'd stand on a corner with some sad-story sign, and if he could dupe some fool in to giving him money, he'd go get high and come bust down our door so he could beat the tar out of my mother. I'm sure the people that thought gave him money thought they were helping out some poor unfortunate soul. If you don't know exactly why someone is homeless, don't give them anything. No money, no food, no blanket, nothing. They need to be cold, broke, and hungry before they'll get some help to try to change their situation. Give to organizations that try to turn lives around, not sustain homeless people in their current situation.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread