Lure and Bait Making

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Southern Snares
Please support our sponsor for the Lure and Bait makers forum - Southern Snares

Print Thread
Hop To
Dobbins Solution #2 #6342159
10/06/18 11:43 PM
10/06/18 11:43 PM
MO
cfowler Offline OP
trapper
cfowler  Offline OP
trapper

MO
My second batch using the bait solution. This time I tainted beaver and cat for about a week in 78 degrees controlled temp. The taint was more than my first batch only using cat. I had about a gallon and a half of meat chunks, half and half. I used two SB packets because I wanted to be sure to stop the tainting (I didn't figure a little extra would hurt). I used 1.5 of the bait solution bottles. I put the solution in the meat this past Wed. Then I went to the KS convention, and there was nobody to stir it, so it sat til I got back this Sat. evening. I went out, because I've been curiously worried about it. Hoping flies didn't discover a way in my bucket, a coon didn't get in the shed and get in it, etc. My wife's dog follows me out and has immediate interest in the fact I'm getting in the shed. When I opens the door to the shed, the dog got to sniffin' like crazy. When I opened the bucket to look and stir it, the dog got to making the oddest dang noises. It was dark, I got a flashlight between my teeth, I'm trying my best to remember not to inhale, through my nose, if I think I need to breath, and the dog sounds like she's foaming at the mouth. This dog don't drool, but there was a lake forming at her feet. She was making almost a gagging sound is the only way I can describe it. Never seen it, never heard it before, but she wanted what was in that bucket, and she could taste it in the air. I know bait ages and matures or whatever over time, and this stuff is still bubbling, so it's far from settling into whatever its gonna be, but that the best response I've seen by that dog to anything she's been around. I'm excited to see how this batch works!

I trap for fun. I skin 'em for the money!
Grinners For Life-Lifetime Member, MO Chapter, Den #1
~You Grin, You're In~
Re: Dobbins Solution #2 [Re: cfowler] #6342222
10/07/18 06:32 AM
10/07/18 06:32 AM
texas
L
la4wd54 Offline
trapper
la4wd54  Offline
trapper
L

texas
Sounds real promising

Re: Dobbins Solution #2 [Re: cfowler] #6342864
10/07/18 10:19 PM
10/07/18 10:19 PM
MN
Y
yukonal Offline
trapper
yukonal  Offline
trapper
Y

MN
It'll take 3-4 weeks to gas off. Don't rush it. You are ok to use even more sb if you want.

Keep stirring it. You want the sb to get into ALL the bait.

Re: Dobbins Solution #2 [Re: yukonal] #6342934
10/08/18 01:40 AM
10/08/18 01:40 AM
MO
cfowler Offline OP
trapper
cfowler  Offline OP
trapper

MO
Originally Posted By: yukonal
It'll take 3-4 weeks to gas off. Don't rush it. You are ok to use even more sb if you want.

Keep stirring it. You want the sb to get into ALL the bait.

Thanks! I'm in no rush. If I don't use it this season, I'll have it for next. I have more than enough bait already.

~You Grin, You're In~
Re: Dobbins Solution #2 [Re: cfowler] #6346567
10/13/18 12:11 PM
10/13/18 12:11 PM
MO
cfowler Offline OP
trapper
cfowler  Offline OP
trapper

MO
I've continued to stir. Added a castor that I left the oil sac on. It's been sitting in a jar (screen lid) for at least 3 years. Looked dry as any of my other castors that had the oil sac removed. I started slicing it so that I could chop it up and add it to the bait. I expected the oil sac would be a little running once cut open, with a taint smell and darkened color. It was. What I wasn't expecting is that the castor was also a thick brown liquid, instead of a dry paste-like substance, like my other castors dry to. I guess the oil slowly absorbed into the castor, hence the thin pudding like consistency. It didn't smell like normal castor, just had a mild smell.

I know the bait solution has castor in it. I was more after the tainted oil sac as an ingredient. But, after seeing and smelling the liquid castor substance, I added it too.

The gassing-off became less and less each day. Mostly due to the SB taking effect, and partly due to dropping temps. I'm sure it'll continue for quite some time. This batch is more soupy than my first, where the cat meat just absorbed all the solution. This one has a nice gravy to it. The taint smell has lessened considerably, or I've lost some of my sensory receptacles sniffing it too much. I think the reduction of gases is the actual cause, along with the blending of smells. Reminds me of cooking, and how the smells rise and permeate the air, slowly blending into a new smell, with some ingredients detectable and identifiable.

I was a little concerned that, by using the same bait solution in another batch of bait, I might just create almost the same bait essentially. All that would be different was the meat used. I had my own ideas on how I would change it up, just a little, and it'd probably work, I hoped. Cause I don't like to run the same bait two seasons in a row. Doesn't work well for me. Well, when you start changing stuff in bait making, it seems it really changes. So I have two baits that are aging now, using the same bait solution, and I'm achieving different results with very little change on my end. I could have too much fun with this.

~You Grin, You're In~
Re: Dobbins Solution #2 [Re: cfowler] #6356031
10/24/18 10:29 PM
10/24/18 10:29 PM
MO
cfowler Offline OP
trapper
cfowler  Offline OP
trapper

MO
Continuing to stir the bait. The smell is strong, but not a bad smell. It has a nice consistency, and the dog continues to check the shed a couple times a day. Stands at the crack of the door sniffin'. Still got about 30 days before I'll stick some down a dirt-hole and see what happens.

~You Grin, You're In~
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91