ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: trap shy racoons [Re: Ole] #6354976
10/23/18 09:10 PM
10/23/18 09:10 PM
Mass
TDHP Offline
trapper
TDHP  Offline
trapper

Mass
Monies spent will greatly vary depending on how far someone travels, hotels, put up, expenses prior or after "class". I would've thought that you would have at least one example on how in 15 minutes into a 2 1/2 hour class changed 30-40 years of trapping while using a cage trap for raccoon
and all the while doing it wrong. Not even an example, not one? Wow

Smile, you're an expert!
http://tdhpwildlifecontrol.webs.com/
Re: trap shy racoons [Re: Ole] #6354980
10/23/18 09:18 PM
10/23/18 09:18 PM
Arkansas
Jason Turner Offline
trapper
Jason Turner  Offline
trapper

Arkansas
I agree that I do not think it’s necessarily the bait. Some of it, possibly, but I’d look elsewhere first. Somebody said you need good bait but coon will eat a lot of different things (and a lot of it lol) so bait just doesn’t seem like it’s the issue. It may be location or just the presentation in general. It might be time to give it something completely different to look at. Jonesie’s ideas and methods for ruling-out trap smart and trap shy coons absolutely work.

Wildlife Removal, Etc.
Re: trap shy racoons [Re: TDHP] #6355207
10/24/18 07:11 AM
10/24/18 07:11 AM
Port Republic South Jersey
N
Newt Offline
trapper
Newt  Offline
trapper
N

Port Republic South Jersey
Originally Posted By: TDHP
Monies spent will greatly vary depending on how far someone travels, hotels, put up, expenses prior or after "class". I would've thought that you would have at least one example on how in 15 minutes into a 2 1/2 hour class changed 30-40 years of trapping while using a cage trap for raccoon
and all the while doing it wrong. Not even an example, not one? Wow

He tought me to set for the 20%
Also use 3 baits and 3 lures

I am done with you.
All you want to do is argue.

South Jersey Trapping and Snaring School
January 19-20-21 2024
NEWT -----------------OVER----------------

www.snareone.com
Re: trap shy racoons [Re: Ole] #6355259
10/24/18 08:55 AM
10/24/18 08:55 AM
Monroeville NJ
J
Jonesie Offline
trapper
Jonesie  Offline
trapper
J

Monroeville NJ
Well after 49 years as a fur trapper and doing wildlife control since 1979, I will tell you right here and now, there are coon every year I can not get into a cage trap no matter what I do or what bait I use, and I catch a few coon, at least one or 2 coon a year LOL If the coon is trap smart I can catch it because it will make a mistake, it will work the trap and I can figure out what I need to do, that is if I am looking for what to do different, based on the behavior of THAT COON, but if it is trap shy, it may not most likely will not get caught in a cage, but it may fall for other methods or even presenting the cage in a manor to which that coons instincts do not become alarmed. Finding out as fast as I can if I have a 80 percent coon easy to catch, or if I have a 20 % that is trap smart or trap shy is critical.

If I do not catch a coon out on the trap line with these prices, I am loosing 6 bucks. If I can't catch a coon on the Job I am loosing 275.00!!!!!! So you can bet your bottom dollar I will study coon both every where, out in the back forty and in the attic, I will take instructions and will listen to anyone that is catching coon to see if I can adapt their methods and mindsets to my bubble!!!! I would love to go out to Red O Hern in a heart beat, to pick his brain and watch him work his coon. and there are a few more that I would also take instructions from, A wise trapper or wco will always look to learn things outside of their bubble.

Ron Jones
http://www.acpwildlifepro.net/
Rednecks Pride Game Calls / Outdoor Scents
Rednecks Pride Outdoors podcast
Friend me on FaceBook
Re: trap shy racoons [Re: Ole] #6355281
10/24/18 09:29 AM
10/24/18 09:29 AM
Mass
TDHP Offline
trapper
TDHP  Offline
trapper

Mass
Sir, I apologize I meant no disrespect. Sometimes txt on a screen can come off the wrong way. I was just admiring how 15 minutes changed 40 years of trapping, I think that is amazing.:) I was just sorta-kinda wondering how it changed for you that's all. Wanted to know if it was a common sense thing or something that is worth X amount of $ to know.

I agree Jason Turner might not be bait, but if a trail cam was used to "observe" the coons actions and to see if they are even approaching the bait/trap it would eliminate a lot of the guess work and save time and money. Then its more of a common sense thing as to "change" things up if you "observe" the coons avoiding or walking by the bait by adding another trap/intercepting or "bait strategies" etc. My point and it's jmo, is that you don't need to take a class to be told to change up a trap presentation or use X bait when you have them on cam exhibiting their actions. Knowledge of the animal that you're targeting will tell you a lot about them and help to provide you with some sort of an understanding on what their attraction to the structure is which in return will benefit on the job. Again this is jmo, and I remove nuisance "trap shy" critters it seems everyday. I type "trap shy" because 9 times out of 10 they have been harassed by the homeowner with traps or someone else attempted to trap them. Every now and then I eat the humble pie and have to take a step back and reevaluate my set up because I missed something. So it takes an extra day or two, but In the end the animal is removed and I didn't need to pay someone to tell me how to set up a trap. This is something that I do for an income and for those who take it seriously it requires a lot of time and studying these animals out in the field with cams/reading and hands on applications. Not going to learn this in a class for a day or two. Good topic though!

Smile, you're an expert!
Re: trap shy racoons [Re: Ole] #6355283
10/24/18 09:30 AM
10/24/18 09:30 AM
Ohio
JBarnes6767 Offline
trapper
JBarnes6767  Offline
trapper

Ohio
Trap shy raccoons rank up there with grubbing skunks for me. Luckily 9 times out of 10 when dealing with a nuisance raccoon they are in someones home or building causing damage and lost sleep. If we have issues with trap avoidance, we usually sell the exclusion work and force them into a cage that way. We recently launched a trap called The Green Hornet Trap for professional NWCO's to help with these situations. Green Hornet Trap

Last edited by JBarnes6767; 10/24/18 09:31 AM.

Jacob Barnes
CWCP
Owner - Viking Product Supply
www.vikingproductsupply.com/
Owner - Barnes Wildlife Control
www.barneswildlifecontrol.com
Re: trap shy racoons [Re: Ole] #6355286
10/24/18 09:34 AM
10/24/18 09:34 AM
Mass
TDHP Offline
trapper
TDHP  Offline
trapper

Mass
Jonesie I agree there are a couple I'd like to visit with but not to hand them over $ for them to tell me how to set up a cage especially for a raccoon.

Smile, you're an expert!
Re: trap shy racoons [Re: Ole] #6355337
10/24/18 10:39 AM
10/24/18 10:39 AM
New York
P
ponyboy Offline
trapper
ponyboy  Offline
trapper
P

New York
If it was closer and I had the time off, I would not hesitate spending $400.00 dollars to spend 3 days Listening to Newt ( whom I have never officially met ) or Jonsie, whom I have met and sat thru some of his talks at wildlife seminars. It would be a great value and learning experience I am sure. I am aware that some real good stuff always leaks out during any type of class or or meeting like that. Those two fellas have put more time in the crapper than most have experience on the line, nuisance business, or lure and bait mixing. I would consider spending $400.00 on that as "MONEY IN THE BANK". Disclaimer: I am not a paid representative of Jonsies Lures or Newt's Snaring School.

Re: trap shy racoons [Re: JBarnes6767] #6355343
10/24/18 10:45 AM
10/24/18 10:45 AM
New York
P
ponyboy Offline
trapper
ponyboy  Offline
trapper
P

New York
Originally Posted By: JBarnes6767
Trap shy raccoons rank up there with grubbing skunks for me. Luckily 9 times out of 10 when dealing with a nuisance raccoon they are in someones home or building causing damage and lost sleep. If we have issues with trap avoidance, we usually sell the exclusion work and force them into a cage that way. We recently launched a trap called The Green Hornet Trap for professional NWCO's to help with these situations. Green Hornet Trap

Like the positive set. Have used that set may times. I would pick up a couple if I saw them at a show. Time is money and having them premade and ready is a plus.

Re: trap shy racoons [Re: Ole] #6355346
10/24/18 10:47 AM
10/24/18 10:47 AM
Mass
TDHP Offline
trapper
TDHP  Offline
trapper

Mass
-puts boots on desk with popcorn in hand..wait for it...this side needs a good rolling topic. Been dead for a while. smile

Smile, you're an expert!
Re: trap shy racoons [Re: Ole] #6355349
10/24/18 10:51 AM
10/24/18 10:51 AM
New York
P
ponyboy Offline
trapper
ponyboy  Offline
trapper
P

New York
Ouch.

Re: trap shy racoons [Re: JBarnes6767] #6355673
10/24/18 05:20 PM
10/24/18 05:20 PM
Woodhull, Illinois 77
J
Jim Bethell Offline
trapper
Jim Bethell  Offline
trapper
J

Woodhull, Illinois 77
Originally Posted By: JBarnes6767

Looks like a good deal, But Illegal on my state.

Re: trap shy racoons [Re: Ole] #6356032
10/24/18 10:30 PM
10/24/18 10:30 PM
Arkansas
Jason Turner Offline
trapper
Jason Turner  Offline
trapper

Arkansas
In my opinion, a trap shy raccoon won’t even give you a chance to catch her— she just gets out of dodge. On the other hand, a trap smart raccoon is aware of the trap and manipulates the situation to avoid getting caught. Letting the raccoon show you what you’re dealing with, and knowing your next move before you have to make it, really helps you catch these types (just about any species too). No way that it’s 100%, but it’s a high percentage. Recently I had a raccoon stealing hummer water and making a mess out of the lady’s plant it was hanging over. There were several coon and a possum or two initially but it got down to that last one that was a difficult dude to catch— and still dumping hummer water. It passed by my usual sets so I changed the strategy. Based on its behavior, I knew it liked to reach and mess w hanging stuff. Most coon do BUT this one was different and would NOT go into a cage until I hung the bait from the back, wouldn’t even oay attention apparently. I understand that many probably bait that way from the get-go but my procesure isn’t to hang bait ordinarily. The main point I’m getting at here is not bait or how to bait, it’s that the raccoon taught me how to catch it. This is my way of doing things whether gray squ, raccoons, beavers, etc. Paul Dobbins said once something like ‘it sounds cheesy but watch the beaver long enough and he’ll show you where:how to catch it.’ This isn’t foolproof but it’s a guiding principle.

Wildlife Removal, Etc.
Re: trap shy racoons [Re: Jonesie] #6361876
10/31/18 05:06 PM
10/31/18 05:06 PM
Washington
wildflights Offline
trapper
wildflights  Offline
trapper

Washington
Originally Posted By: Jonesie
Not your bait most likely. You need to present the trap to them in the right location the right way. I had a coon walking right past my trap 5 feet away last week. for a few nights I moved the trap 5 feet placed the opening towards the direction the coon was coming and it went right in using the same bait and lure. I have been giving cage trap training for 20 years and this one fact is true put the trap right on the coon make it easy to go in the trap and snack or trail the coon into the trap. Good baits and lures are a must for coon BUT it is 90% trapper knowing what to do and 10% baits and lures that get it done. To find out if the coon are trap shy or trap smart, place a marshmallow out front of the trap about a foot and one right on the lip, another one right in front of the pan. if only the one out front is moved or gone then you may have a shy coon if they are gone up to the pan and the ones behind are Left then smart, if nothing is moved or touched your location is off.

So what's the response when they are trap smart? Marshmallow outside the trap is gone. Marshmallow inside the trap is gone. Marshmallow in front of the trigger wires is gone. Bait and marshmallow behind the wires is untouched.

Conis are not an option.

Last edited by wildflights; 10/31/18 05:18 PM.

Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. -Gustav Mahler
Re: trap shy racoons [Re: Ole] #6361932
10/31/18 06:20 PM
10/31/18 06:20 PM
Georgia
K
Kirk De Offline
trapper
Kirk De  Offline
trapper
K

Georgia
Quote:
So what's the response when they are trap smart? Marshmallow outside the trap is gone. Marshmallow inside the trap is gone. Marshmallow in front of the trigger wires is gone. Bait and marshmallow behind the wires is untouched.

Just bend one of the two trigger wires hanging down from the top, back with marshmello threaded on trigger. Or thread a piece of corn cob on trigger bent to back with peanut butter on the corn cob. Or set your trigger as a bump trigger and place bait in back of trap.

When he bumps, brushes against or grabs bait the trap will fire.

The Real Reasons Animals Are Detecting Your Sets And Devices by Kirk Dekalb
https://amzn.to/2Hn1hxv
Re: trap shy racoons [Re: Ole] #6361937
10/31/18 06:23 PM
10/31/18 06:23 PM
Georgia
K
Kirk De Offline
trapper
Kirk De  Offline
trapper
K

Georgia
Quote:
Just bend one of the two trigger wires hanging down from the top, back with marshmello threaded on trigger. Or thread a piece of corn cob on trigger bent to back with peanut butter on the corn cob. Or set your trigger as a bump trigger and place bait in back of trap.

When he bumps, brushes against or grabs bait the trap will fire.

If that doesn,t work set a double doored trap with backing against the trap you miss him and use a 4 way trigger just two wires hanging. Catch him circling the first set trap.

The Real Reasons Animals Are Detecting Your Sets And Devices by Kirk Dekalb
https://amzn.to/2Hn1hxv
Re: trap shy racoons [Re: wildflights] #6362426
11/01/18 09:03 AM
11/01/18 09:03 AM
Monroeville NJ
J
Jonesie Offline
trapper
Jonesie  Offline
trapper
J

Monroeville NJ

Conis are not an option. [/quote]

For me, If it happens 3 or 4 times in a row in your description,(trap smart) I will many times with single door trap flip the trap 180 degrees. Back is where the front was. double door trap shut one door and leave open door on the opposite side of where I think the coon is coming from. bait only in front of wires or trigger and place bait in back. Many times I will catch the coon that night. If that doesn't work and they still take the bait in front of the pan or triggers I will bait the trap up with all kinds of goodies( people food along with what I was using) and shut it down so they can not get it. I want till the trap is flipped over or moved then open the trap. I also use another method, I use 2 traps bait one heavy front and back, and close it down, and set double door right next to it and cover both with a trap leave ends open, Trap shy coon I use another method after 2nd day I see they take bait out side trap but not take any on the inside of trap.
I have a few more trap smart cage trap tricks that I use that I will not go into here.

Last edited by Jonesie; 11/01/18 09:05 AM.

Ron Jones
Friend me on FaceBook
Re: trap shy racoons [Re: Ole] #6362546
11/01/18 12:09 PM
11/01/18 12:09 PM
New York
Jim Comstock Offline
trapper
Jim Comstock  Offline
trapper

New York
Used to think I got shorted because we have so few coon. Now listening to the nightmare scenarios with trap shy coon, maybe its just as well I don't get many calls. Just saw a short video on Business Builders Ron Scheller posted of a really smart coon. Wonder if it is a pet? Any animal with brains, strength and hands has got to be trouble.

Re: trap shy racoons [Re: Ole] #6362866
11/01/18 08:31 PM
11/01/18 08:31 PM
Virginia
52Carl Offline
trapper
52Carl  Offline
trapper

Virginia
A 55 gallon barrel with a little vegetable oil it the bottom of it and whatever bait the raccoon is responding to in there.
Give it an easy way to get to the top of the barrel. Once it gets it and gets oil on his feet, he will not be able to clime out.

Re: trap shy racoons [Re: Ole] #6363182
11/02/18 09:08 AM
11/02/18 09:08 AM
Monroeville NJ
J
Jonesie Offline
trapper
Jonesie  Offline
trapper
J

Monroeville NJ
Jim most coon are going to be easy to catch, set a trap and it will be there next day. but when they get educated they can be a real pain. I don't gage my self on the 80 % coon I gage my productivity on the 20% and how much cussing I do at it. LOL By the way how you feeling?

Ron Jones
Friend me on FaceBook
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread