Lure and Bait Making

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Southern Snares
Please support our sponsor for the Lure and Bait makers forum - Southern Snares

Print Thread
Hop To
Comparing two similar baits or lures #6366074
11/05/18 08:55 PM
11/05/18 08:55 PM
Southern Oregon
D
dmr400 Offline OP
trapper
dmr400  Offline OP
trapper
D

Southern Oregon
I've got quite a few new lures and baits from several different makers to put through their paces. I've done a decent amount of testing bait and lure formulations both commercial and my own before using mock sets and sifted circles around them, but have yet to use trail cameras to test reactions. I have several cameras now, and thought it might be interesting to ask the pros that give so much time and knowledge on this subforum a few questions.

How would you go about comparing two similar baits or lures? Say you are working up a new lure, and want to test how much of a particular ingredient to add so you make one batch called batch "X" with 5 drops of radioactive super duper all call unicorn musk, and another called batch "Y" with 15 drops. Do you make mock sets with them side by side and see which one the animal shows more interest in now that we can review what happened in what order with trail cameras? Or some other method?

How many times would you repeat a setup in a new location with different animals (I'm mostly interested in coyotes) before you drew any conclusions about whether batch "X" or batch "Y" is better?

Have you learned anything that surprised you or goes against ideas that have been well accepted for a long time since trail cameras have been on the scene?

Do you have any suggestions or lessons learned about using trail cameras to test bait and lure?

I'm hoping there is enough interest in this that we can get a good discussion going, thanks!

"I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters." - Frank Lloyd Wright
Re: Comparing two similar baits or lures [Re: dmr400] #6366096
11/05/18 09:09 PM
11/05/18 09:09 PM
NH
S
sgs Offline
trapper
sgs  Offline
trapper
S

NH
Do you have any suggestions or lessons learned about using trail cameras to test bait and lure?

After twelve years of bait and lure investigation the best I can tell you is you never have enough cameras and you need to have them all in play all the time.

Re: Comparing two similar baits or lures [Re: dmr400] #6366214
11/05/18 10:48 PM
11/05/18 10:48 PM
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Offline
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Offline
trapper

Rodney,Ohio
I would not try to test different lures side by side if you are trying to make a comparison. That just introduces more uncertainty of the results.

I want to repeat the tests different times of the year like, fall, early winter, late winter/breeding season, denning season.

As for what I've learned from cameras...there is a line that people say especially about coyotes that you can learn trap placement by watching how your dog reacts to a set or comes to a food bowl. That's fine if you got a bold coyote,or pup, that is comfortable around the set. Most dogs don't have a fear of anything. Now go find a dog that has been abused, or abandoned or just plain feral and watch how he comes up to things. He's gonna be nervous as all get out and is going to lean in to take a whiff of the set or grab the food. He's not going to run up and plop himself down right in front of the bowl. Coyotes are more like this dog generally.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91