ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Getting rid of mice #6379086
11/21/18 09:53 PM
11/21/18 09:53 PM
SE Kentucky
K
kytrapper Offline OP
trapper
kytrapper  Offline OP
trapper
K

SE Kentucky
I’m wondering if someone can tell me how to eliminate a mouse problem in the house. I’ve set traps and bought a bucket some high dollar mouse poison but I can’t seem to get ahead of them. About to the point of calling an exterminator or something. Wife is not happy. Thanks.

Re: Getting rid of mice [Re: kytrapper] #6379110
11/21/18 10:16 PM
11/21/18 10:16 PM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
seal ALL exterior openings you can stick your pinky into, even if it takes 10 cans of Great Stuff. There is a mouse proof version they won't chew

check under EVERY cabinet that has plumbing coming up thru the floor and seal around ea pipe

I had to put 1/4" hardware cloth around our wood stove, since they were coming in under it too

They can also get thru dryer vents, even the plastic covers need beefed up in the corners

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Re: Getting rid of mice [Re: kytrapper] #6379166
11/21/18 11:19 PM
11/21/18 11:19 PM
WI - Wisconsin
A
AJE Offline
trapper
AJE  Offline
trapper
A

WI - Wisconsin
traprjohn is right in that fixing the problem is the right approach.
In the meantime, these work excellent:
https://www.theisens.com/products/pro-ketch-multiple-catch-trap/7010161/

Try going around the exterior of your house with a mirror looking for holes where the bottom of the siding starts.

Last edited by AJE; 11/21/18 11:23 PM.
Re: Getting rid of mice [Re: kytrapper] #6379454
11/22/18 10:00 AM
11/22/18 10:00 AM
Mass
TDHP Offline
trapper
TDHP  Offline
trapper

Mass
JMO..Unless you have vaulted ceilings and have no access without cutting, attic/crawl space is most likely where you're going to do the most damage in hammering them. You can seal up all ya want but if you don't find their happy place, eventually they will start chewing holes in other areas in the home and you'll start to catch one here and there maybe two, instead of whacking them at once. Mice don't need to leave the structure if they have access to food and water. I've used a mirror for years and they are exceptional when it comes to finding entry/exit points. I wouldn't even bother with poison. Again jmo

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I've used a few tin cats in the past along with snap traps and the snap traps enclosed in trap boxes out trapped the tin cats by a long shot. But they also pay for it. To each their own
[Linked Image]

Don't overlook gable ends of the house either. This opening had mouse droppings all around it and along the ridgevent on the roof line.
[Linked Image]

Smile, you're an expert!
http://tdhpwildlifecontrol.webs.com/
Re: Getting rid of mice [Re: kytrapper] #6379488
11/22/18 10:48 AM
11/22/18 10:48 AM
WI - Wisconsin
A
AJE Offline
trapper
AJE  Offline
trapper
A

WI - Wisconsin
When mice are in a house, where do they usually find access to water?

Re: Getting rid of mice [Re: kytrapper] #6379513
11/22/18 11:22 AM
11/22/18 11:22 AM
Mass
TDHP Offline
trapper
TDHP  Offline
trapper

Mass
Bathrooms, kitchens, pipes basements. If you think there isn't a water source in a house you're highly mistaken.

Smile, you're an expert!
Re: Getting rid of mice [Re: kytrapper] #6379515
11/22/18 11:24 AM
11/22/18 11:24 AM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
Location setting is always best. Set the walls and travel ways both high and low in the basement along the sill plate areas and support beams. I prefer to gang set victor snap traps blind set with no lure or bait in the trail set ups. Some areas it is advisable to use a little bait you just need to know where and when to do this.

Blind trail setting is deadly once you learn how to do it effectively. Structural seal work is very beneficial for the long term effectiveness. However one opening left unsealed, unnoticed or inaccessible will continue to haunt you over the years. Bait stations set around the house will certainly help control the population but it is not the holy grail. Trapping maintenance and seal work are your best efforts for the best overall results.

There are many opportunities for water or moisture in a home. Condensation is everywhere to be had in most homes if you know where to look. Mice don't need to drink like other animals per se. They eat many insects during the winter months. Wasps, hornets, beetles that are all hibernating in a home, attic, insulation, interior walls etc. are all food sources for mice. Much of their moisture requirements can be found in their food.

Re: Getting rid of mice [Re: kytrapper] #6379527
11/22/18 11:34 AM
11/22/18 11:34 AM
Mass
TDHP Offline
trapper
TDHP  Offline
trapper

Mass
When it comes to mice standing water in sinks, tubs, valves and damp basements are a goldmine. If you have mice in your house they will find the smallest drops of water. Water from showers on the floor, leakage from a back splash on a sink that goes unnoticed or seeps through the caulking around the sink. A lot of variables.

Smile, you're an expert!
Re: Getting rid of mice [Re: AJE] #6379529
11/22/18 11:35 AM
11/22/18 11:35 AM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
And the nice thing about the Kness multi-catch is that you'll usually find just one big fat mouse and a bunch of tails!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread