Lure and Bait Making

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Southern Snares
Please support our sponsor for the Lure and Bait makers forum - Southern Snares

Print Thread
Hop To
Musk #6394252
12/09/18 07:43 PM
12/09/18 07:43 PM
NORTH CAROLINA
Trapper73 Offline OP
trapper
Trapper73  Offline OP
trapper

NORTH CAROLINA
I have a question about red fox musk and say muskrat musk, coyote musk.
I believe it comes from there glands.
How can just musk be use in formulations.
Instead of glands. I see they sell just musk just trying to figure out how to use some.
Thanks for your help...

Last edited by Trapper73; 12/09/18 07:44 PM. Reason: Miss spelled work
Re: Musk [Re: Trapper73] #6394290
12/09/18 08:33 PM
12/09/18 08:33 PM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
It is mixed with other musks or glands or essential oils...…..in a base.
Someone here has the link to the 14 pages of formulas/recipes with many musks used...….I think RiversNorth posted it originally.
Wolfdog posted it last...…..if i'm not mistaken.

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Re: Musk [Re: Trapper73] #6394828
12/10/18 12:13 PM
12/10/18 12:13 PM
NORTH CAROLINA
Trapper73 Offline OP
trapper
Trapper73  Offline OP
trapper

NORTH CAROLINA
I looked for that post under both users name.
Still could not find it.
Thanks

Last edited by Trapper73; 12/10/18 12:14 PM. Reason: Miss spelled word
Re: Musk [Re: Trapper73] #6394947
12/10/18 04:04 PM
12/10/18 04:04 PM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
Did you come to our convention?...I'd have brought you a copy.

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Re: Musk [Re: Trapper73] #6395044
12/10/18 06:43 PM
12/10/18 06:43 PM
Nevadafornia
L
Lazarus Offline
trapper
Lazarus  Offline
trapper
L

Nevadafornia
Technically the only true "musk" is from Asiatic deer. I think what you are talking about is glandular secretions. There really isn't a way to use only the glandular secretions; I guess you could press the glands and use what comes out of them, but it would not be 100% gland secretions since there would invariably be blood and other fluids mixed with your product.

Re: Musk [Re: Trapper73] #6395680
12/11/18 12:44 PM
12/11/18 12:44 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
The term "Musk" as is used in our industry can mean different things to different people. It depends upon your knowledge of the word, how the term was used and its intention of use.

Tonquin Musk is a familiar name that has long been recognized in our industry for many decades. Most likely the term Musk has been adopted by many to help in various descriptions of materials or products over the years. It can be a good fit term in some cases however in other cases it may be an empty word with little to no real meaning of value to any great degree.

Literally the term is usually associated with a material or excretions that are derived from a specific animals known prime selective reproductive DNA identifying producing glands, specific specie trait musk/scent developing glands and/or excretions from such glandular body organ/parts.

Some common species in our industry with musk's and extractable essence materials that come to mind are mink, muskrat, skunk and members of these families. Canines and felines have anal glands containing excretions for feces lubrication,urine and specie DNA markers left of who they are so to speak. These identifying scent markers are key components of communication for wildlife and domestic animal species.

In general terms the word "Musk" can mean a more broader and loosely used form of the word. It can mean that the use of any materials that may fall under this category and blended with other ingredients formulating a specific product. This product is containing some form of active materials representing these specific named extractions or similar such materials derived from by products obtained from a specific animals musk or musk containing body parts in that product.

Currently we are dealing with more man made or synthetic forms of various glands, musk's and essential oils then ever before. Chemistry and pharmaceutical companies have made significant advances in these fields. In liquid, powder, crystal and active ingredients held in a gum binder form or the actives are sold in some other neutral base to hold a less pure active ingredient state.

Some active natural derived musk's or man made materials require some sort of processing incorporating age, grinding, heat, solvents and astringent/cutting oils to extract and hold these actives to allow their use for sale or for distribution use in a formula.

Hence the term "Musk" can mean what a seller is generally attaching to a products name in such a manner to describe the product or to help to create a KEY word interest to sell a product.

Sorry, I guess I got a bit carried away. Just my thoughts on this topic.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91