No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13
How much has paganism influenced Christianity #6420629
01/06/19 11:33 PM
01/06/19 11:33 PM
OH
Catch22 Offline OP
trapper
Catch22  Offline OP
trapper

OH
I see religious post about Jesus and have to wonder, how, long after Paganism, did Christianity after copying Pagan practices take root? Other than a forced concept by the ruling, does anyone know?

I wonder if tap dancers walk into a room, look at the floor, and think, I'd tap that. I wonder about things.....
Re: How much has paganism influenced Christianity [Re: Catch22] #6420643
01/06/19 11:56 PM
01/06/19 11:56 PM
Dunbar, Wisconsin
P
Pike River Offline
trapper
Pike River  Offline
trapper
P

Dunbar, Wisconsin
Substantially.

Just about every modern, mainstream Holiday has pagan roots. I think the only thing I see commanded to be observed in the Bible is Maundy Thursday. Maundy being a word from way back when meaning "commandment".

Re: How much has paganism influenced Christianity [Re: Catch22] #6420647
01/07/19 12:05 AM
01/07/19 12:05 AM
williams,mn
trapper les Offline
trapper
trapper les  Offline
trapper

williams,mn
Who cares ? Does anyone here trap ?

Just Wondering

"Those who hammer their guns into plowshares will plow for those who do not."
Re: How much has paganism influenced Christianity [Re: trapper les] #6420649
01/07/19 12:07 AM
01/07/19 12:07 AM
sw iowa
Outlaw99 Offline
trapper
Outlaw99  Offline
trapper

sw iowa
Heh heh heh

Not everyone likes me, but not everyone matters
Re: How much has paganism influenced Christianity [Re: Catch22] #6420651
01/07/19 12:09 AM
01/07/19 12:09 AM
williams,mn
trapper les Offline
trapper
trapper les  Offline
trapper

williams,mn
Yer killin' me Outlaw

"Those who hammer their guns into plowshares will plow for those who do not."
Re: How much has paganism influenced Christianity [Re: Catch22] #6420652
01/07/19 12:13 AM
01/07/19 12:13 AM
Alaska and Washington State
W
waggler Offline
trapper
waggler  Offline
trapper
W

I don't understand the question; do you mind rephrasing it?

"My life is better than your vacation"
Re: How much has paganism influenced Christianity [Re: trapper les] #6420655
01/07/19 12:14 AM
01/07/19 12:14 AM
OH
Catch22 Offline OP
trapper
Catch22  Offline OP
trapper

OH
Originally Posted by trapper les
Who cares ? Does anyone here trap ?

Just Wondering

Hi Les, yes we do. And believe it or not there are other conversations going on other than trapping on the trapper talk forum different from the trapping only forum, go figure lol. grin

I wonder if tap dancers walk into a room, look at the floor, and think, I'd tap that. I wonder about things.....
Re: How much has paganism influenced Christianity [Re: waggler] #6420657
01/07/19 12:17 AM
01/07/19 12:17 AM
OH
Catch22 Offline OP
trapper
Catch22  Offline OP
trapper

OH
Originally Posted by waggler

What don't you understand?

Re: How much has paganism influenced Christianity [Re: Catch22] #6420659
01/07/19 12:25 AM
01/07/19 12:25 AM
MN, USA
star flakes Offline
trapper
star flakes  Offline
trapper

MN, USA
An answer to your question

But there was a certain man, called Simon, which beforetime in the same city used sorcery, and bewitched the people of Samaria, giving out that himself was some great one:

Acts 8:9

Then Simon himself believed also: and when he was baptized, he continued with Philip, and wondered, beholding the miracles and signs which were done.

Acts 8:14

And when Simon saw that through laying on of the apostles' hands the Holy Ghost was given, he offered them money,

Act 8:18

This Simon would travel to Rome, where he would be known as Simon Pater, and be claimed to be Simon Peter. Pater mean "papa" and he would found the Universal Religion, which is what Catholic means. In order to gain acceptance, increase membership, he began incorporating all of the pagan practices from "The Dead Sun Day" which would be overlaid as the Christ mass and Easter, the fertility rites of spring over Passover.
So the answer to the question is, from the moment the Apostles began their commission there were satanic forces engaged in the great deception.

Re: How much has paganism influenced Christianity [Re: Catch22] #6420662
01/07/19 12:30 AM
01/07/19 12:30 AM
W
waggler Offline
trapper
waggler  Offline
trapper
W

Originally Posted by Catch22
Originally Posted by waggler

What don't you understand?

I'm not trying to be a smarty-pants, I know that you know what you mean by " how, long after Paganism, did Christianity after copying Pagan practices take root", but I can't quite figure out what you are asking. Just try rephrasing it a bit.

Re: How much has paganism influenced Christianity [Re: Catch22] #6420669
01/07/19 12:52 AM
01/07/19 12:52 AM
OH
Catch22 Offline OP
trapper
Catch22  Offline OP
trapper

OH
Paganism was here long before the bible from what I understand, it seems as though the people who wrote the bible plagiarized. A lot.

Re: How much has paganism influenced Christianity [Re: waggler] #6420671
01/07/19 12:54 AM
01/07/19 12:54 AM
East-Central Wisconsin
B
bblwi Offline
trapper
bblwi  Offline
trapper
B

East-Central Wisconsin
The pagan aspect may not impact the Christian tenets that much but in many of the symbols and rites there is considerable influence things such as incense, lilies etc. etc. If one would consider all the Jewish traditions prior to the onset of Christianity well then the door swings wide and very wide open.

Bryce

Re: How much has paganism influenced Christianity [Re: Catch22] #6420692
01/07/19 02:39 AM
01/07/19 02:39 AM
W
waggler Offline
trapper
waggler  Offline
trapper
W

Paganism was here long before the bible from what I understand, it seems as though the people who wrote the bible plagiarized. A lot.

Thanks for the clarification. I guess I'd have to see what particular things you are alleging Christianity "plagiarized' from paganism. Judaism/Christianity and their roots have been around for probably five thousand years at least. The story of Job was written down by Moses almost four thousand years ago, but told a story about a guy who predated Abraham (way before Moses).

When did the paganism that you refer to start?

If you are referring to recent pagan things like; Easter (estrous, fertility, bunnies), Christmas in December on winter solstice instead of when Jesus Christ was most likely born (October), worshiping a woman (Virgo the Virgin), then the answer is easy. All that stuff was introduced by the Roman Catholic Church as a melding of the rapidly growing number of Christians in Rome and the preexisting pagan religions. This was more of a political/strategic move, this happened about 325AD. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constantine_the_Great_and_Christianity

Before my Catholic friends get their feathers all ruffled; I'm not saying this to start an argument, but the history here is just plain fact. Other denominations have also introduced goofy things that have no basis in Christianity. In the Baptist church I grew up in, men having long hair was a sin, wearing denim jeans to church was a sin, swimming on Sundays was a sin and on and on and on. Thankfully that church was able to see the error of all that silly stuff. I hope the things going on in the Rome Catholic Church will cause that church (the people) to see the silly things they have been holding on to.

Re: How much has paganism influenced Christianity [Re: Catch22] #6420761
01/07/19 08:25 AM
01/07/19 08:25 AM
Hancock Co., Indiana
Kart29 Offline
trapper
Kart29  Offline
trapper

Hancock Co., Indiana
I don't know what you could be meaning about the writers of the Bible plagiarizing from pagan writings. I'm sure false religion is as old as Cain. I'm sure some of the writers of the Old Testament wrote their books using other historical sources - both written and oral. When Moses wrote the Pentateuch I'm sure he had access to prior historical documents that recorded genealogies, historical events, and so on. But that can't be what you mean about the writers' plagiarizing, can it?

I've heard of other ancient stories that are very similar to stories in the Old Testament - stories of universal floods and creations stories similar to that of what is in the Bible. Some say these other stories show that the Old Testament history is just another set of ancient myths. But I would think that similar stories found in the writings of other ancient cultures would lend some credence to the story's basis in true fact. That is to say, if many ancient cultures have stories about a great flood (and they do), that may be evidence that there is some truth behind them.

I know Christians have adopted and adapted many pagan traditions over the years. I don't think these traditions ARE the Christian religion or that Christianity became what it is because of these pagan beliefs or practices. Rather, I think when Christianity takes root in a culture, it eventually transforms the existing traditions and changes their meanings and significance. For example, rabbits and eggs were once pagan symbols of fertility and new growth. But Christianity has transformed those pagan symbols to remind us about the resurrection and new life in Christ. I think the Christmas tree was originally a pagan tradition but now the Christmas tree reminds us of the tree upon which Jesus was crucified. Those are just a couple of examples and I am sure there are hundreds more. But that doesn't mean Christianity is based upon or derived from those pagan roots. Rather, it means that the Christian religion has overcome those pagan religions and transformed the symbols and traditions into new meanings.

What do you mean about paganism being here long before the bible? I'm sure false religion is as old as Cain. But that's not news to anyone.

Modern Christian holidays and celebrations are not specifically commanded in the Bible. But we see in the Old Testament that God commanded his people to observe certain feasts in remembrance of the things he had done for them. Old Testament believers often erected monuments to be physical reminders of something God had done. The nation of Israel was commanded to observe many traditions to set them apart from the nations around them. That old ceremonial law has passed with the coming of the New Covenant in Christ's blood. But the precedent of observing religious holidays and keeping religious traditions is firmly established by God himself. So, while modern Christian holidays and traditions are certainly not commanded in the Bible, they are definitely not prohibited or to be discouraged.

What from Christ that soul can sever,
Bound by everlasting bands?
None shall take thee
From the Strength of Israel's hands.

Re: How much has paganism influenced Christianity [Re: Catch22] #6420811
01/07/19 09:37 AM
01/07/19 09:37 AM
Eastern Shore of Maryland
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

Eastern Shore of Maryland
"How much has paganism influenced Christianity"

The devil makes mistakes all the time. lol

-Goofy-
Re: How much has paganism influenced Christianity [Re: Catch22] #6420827
01/07/19 09:55 AM
01/07/19 09:55 AM
PA
P
PAskinner Offline
trapper
PAskinner  Offline
trapper
P

PA
Seems like two different questions are being asked: Did the church adopt pagan customs is far different than asking if the writers of the Bible borrowed from pagans.
The writers wrote what they observed. The question still doesn't make sense to me.
There were very early writers who wrote false versions of the gospels. They were written by people with no direct connection to the apostles and so, were easily understood by the church at that time to be fakes. In modern times, people have tried to bring up the false gospels as if they had some legitimacy, but they are gibberish. Just like today when you have people today taking bits and pieces of the Bible and mixing it with myth and created false religions.

Right now I’m having amnesia and déjà vu at the same time. I think I’ve forgotten this before.
Re: How much has paganism influenced Christianity [Re: Catch22] #6420838
01/07/19 10:09 AM
01/07/19 10:09 AM
Sullivan, Ohio
R
RV6 Offline
trapper
RV6  Offline
trapper
R

Sullivan, Ohio
What makes you think its not the other way around?
I see religious post about Jesus and have to wonder, how, long after Paganism, did Christianity after copying Pagan practices take root? Other than a forced concept by the ruling, does anyone know?

Re: How much has paganism influenced Christianity [Re: RV6] #6420846
01/07/19 10:21 AM
01/07/19 10:21 AM
OH
Catch22 Offline OP
trapper
Catch22  Offline OP
trapper

OH
Originally Posted by RV6

It's proven in history that paganism was here long before Christianity. And I say paganism in a very broad way because after Christianity everything else was considered paganism. It's also proven that the Christians forced pagans to convert to Christianity.

Re: How much has paganism influenced Christianity [Re: RV6] #6420849
01/07/19 10:30 AM
01/07/19 10:30 AM
Tennessee
Scuba1 Offline
"color blind Kraut"
Scuba1  Offline
"color blind Kraut"

Tennessee
Originally Posted by RV6

As religions go, christianity is the new kid on the block. Other religions are way older then it. Thats why its not the other way around. Of course the hard core bible folks will say NO NO NO we are the first , one and only and all that ...it says so in the bible. Ironic that the question is asked by " catch 22 " grin
One among may things for certain. The folks who built Stone Henge put it there way before christianity was thought up.

Let's go Brandon

"Shall not comply" with morons who don't understand "shall not infringe."
Re: How much has paganism influenced Christianity [Re: Scuba1] #6420859
01/07/19 10:55 AM
01/07/19 10:55 AM
Hancock Co., Indiana
Kart29 Offline
trapper
Kart29  Offline
trapper

Hancock Co., Indiana
Originally Posted by Scuba1
One among may things for certain. The folks who built Stone Henge put it there way before christianity was thought up.

I'm certain Christ thought up the folks who built Stonehenge long before the existence of the rocks of which it is made.

What from Christ that soul can sever,
Bound by everlasting bands?
None shall take thee
From the Strength of Israel's hands.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread