Fur Handling Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

>
Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Fur Handling Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Green Belly Bobcat #6433830
01/19/19 05:14 PM
01/19/19 05:14 PM
New Mexico, USA
C
Cabezon Offline OP
trapper
Cabezon  Offline OP
trapper
C

New Mexico, USA
I picked up a very nice bobcat from a buddy, skinned it and around the lower belly it's a little green. What is a good way to remove that? I fleshed it and some is still present and I do not want any slippage.

Re: Green Belly Bobcat [Re: Cabezon] #6433833
01/19/19 05:20 PM
01/19/19 05:20 PM
New Hampshire
T
Terrence j Offline
trapper
Terrence j  Offline
trapper
T

New Hampshire
I had a coyote like that this week and I sprayed it with bleach and water mix and it got rid of the smell and the green was gone when I turned it. Not sure if it will slip but it sure looked and smelled better. And made me feel better about not losing a nice furred coyote

Re: Green Belly Bobcat [Re: Terrence j] #6433906
01/19/19 06:23 PM
01/19/19 06:23 PM
100 Mile House, BC Can
bctomcat Offline
trapper
bctomcat  Offline
trapper

100 Mile House, BC Can
A little green is nothing to worry about. The effect of green belly is often over stressed by many. Although green belly can be serious it is common on a lot of fur animals. It is not a serious defect until it turns really dark brown or black, then you will start to see some slippage of fur. I often have coyotes hanging for 2-3 days (even 5) in the shop at 40 - 60 degree F temperature with no problem. The initially frozen coyote in this picture was hung face down for 5 days and was perfectly fine re fur slippage. If you’re worried about it, wiping the area with vinegar or 3% hydrogen peroxide solution will kill the bacteria causing the rot. [Linked Image]

The only constant in trapping is change so keep learning.

Re: Green Belly Bobcat [Re: Cabezon] #6434315
01/20/19 12:00 AM
01/20/19 12:00 AM
New Mexico, USA
C
Cabezon Offline OP
trapper
Cabezon  Offline OP
trapper
C

New Mexico, USA
Thank you guys for responding. This cat is really nice and I just didn't want to lose it. Thank you

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread