Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Fox show! #6437008
01/22/19 06:38 PM
01/22/19 06:38 PM
South Alabama
B
Bayou Trapper Offline OP
trapper
Bayou Trapper  Offline OP
trapper
B

South Alabama
My youngest son wanted to make one more hunt before he headed back to school yesterday afternoon, so I went along with him and I watched a big food plot / hay field. I got to see Red and Grey fox come out way before dark. It was pretty neat to watch them for that long. i have seen them dart across food plots or roads, usually just see them for a second. I got to watch 2 Reds and a Grey for about 15 minutes. They eased up to big "grass clumps" on the edge of the field and checked for mice. I also watched the big red pee on a wad of grass and 5 minutes later a Grey came and rolled in it. They all followed the same path, and each of them almost did the exact same thing. Now they weren't all together, they were about 3 or 4 minutes apart. But when the 1st one left the field, the 2nd one came out, then the 3rd. I wish I had a camera to video it. I may have to nock the dust of my old 1.5's and set just for fox. Now that I know where they like to run and how they acted that may give me a little edge. I have never just targeted fox, figured they were a lot smarter than me, so I guess Ill have to give it a go. So far this year I have caught 2 Reds and 1 Grey in my Coyote traps. Just figured I was lucky to have caught those. I guess I can put a few dirt holes in front of those grass clumps and a few flat sets around the edge of the field. "Wish me luck"... Bayou

Re: Fox show! [Re: Bayou Trapper] #6437013
01/22/19 06:42 PM
01/22/19 06:42 PM
northern indiana
son-of-grizz Offline
trapper
son-of-grizz  Offline
trapper

northern indiana
Good luck

Re: Fox show! [Re: Bayou Trapper] #6437022
01/22/19 06:51 PM
01/22/19 06:51 PM
Maryland
O
oppossum1 Offline
trapper
oppossum1  Offline
trapper
O

Maryland
Wish you success getting 1 or 2......but may I say you've been successful just seeing a show like that. Few people get to watch that.

"You cook good rabbit pilgrim."
Re: Fox show! [Re: Bayou Trapper] #6437071
01/22/19 07:48 PM
01/22/19 07:48 PM
S.E. Ohio
M
M.Magis Offline
trapper
M.Magis  Offline
trapper
M

S.E. Ohio
I couldn’t begin to count the hours I’ve spent in the woods since I last saw a fox. Just seeing one would make my day. Good luck.

Re: Fox show! [Re: M.Magis] #6437408
01/23/19 09:03 AM
01/23/19 09:03 AM
South Alabama
B
Bayou Trapper Offline OP
trapper
trapper
B

South Alabama
Yes, I felt blessed to be able to see all that. It was pretty neat. I have a friend that has a couple hundred acres, mostly wooded w/ some fields. Two years ago we decided to plant chufas for turkeys. It really helped so we planted more each year. Our turkey population has tripled! And w/ more turkeys comes more predators. He watched the same plot where I saw the fox the day before and yesterday he saw 2 Bobcats and 1 coyote just at sundown. We have a really nice buck on camera so he didn't shoot the cats or the coyote. I'm glad he didn't so I can try to trap them!

Re: Fox show! [Re: Bayou Trapper] #6437674
01/23/19 02:53 PM
01/23/19 02:53 PM
Port Jervis, NY
B
beachcomber13 Offline
trapper
beachcomber13  Offline
trapper
B

Port Jervis, NY
Always nice to watch and learn from critters in their natural surroundings..Do yourself a favor, stick with larger traps staked for coyotes.

Re: Fox show! [Re: beachcomber13] #6437719
01/23/19 03:43 PM
01/23/19 03:43 PM
South Alabama
B
Bayou Trapper Offline OP
trapper
trapper
B

South Alabama
You are probably right about staying w/ the bigger traps, I was just concerned that the smaller fox wouldn't set off the 550's and #2's. The few fox that I have caught this year, the two reds were pretty big and the grey was little bigger than what I am use to seeing. I have seen coon tracks and some smaller fox tracks around some of the other sets and traps not fired. You know how it is when weather is bad and you cant wait to get out there, I am always trying to "out guess myself, or thinking too much "! ha! thx again for the advise.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91