Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

ATS
(Please support Ted's Fur Shed, our sponsor for the Wilderness Page)

Alaska Trappers Association

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Boat for running up rivers - got experience? #6437790
01/23/19 04:43 PM
01/23/19 04:43 PM
Homer, Alaska, USA
W
Wolverine Hunter Offline OP
trapper
Wolverine Hunter  Offline OP
trapper
W

Homer, Alaska, USA
Last fall, I went up north on a my first caribou hunt. I tried really really hard, but I wasn't expecting a whole lot. I knew the caribou season opened in mid August. I wasn't able to break free until about September 14 - and I was using the Taylor highway road system as my staging ground, with support from ATV and lots and lots of leg work. I do know that the quota was met for the Steese Highway because the herd was camped out right along the road, and people had a hey day, and "gotter done" in two or three days. Quota met. Season closed. The Taylor wasn't like that. The herd wasn't present on the highway - so say the locals when I was there. But, there was some "resident caribou" there, and locals and hunters who happened to be there did well early when the season first opened. But with time, the resident bulls were either shot up, or driven further back. I hunted hard for a week, scouring those hills, and saw zero opportunity, along with all the other hunters I met up there.

Here's what I do know. At the same time this was going on, hunters who had jet boats were busy running up rivers to get into the wilderness between the Steese and the Taylor - to get at the caribou that were camped out there. Rivers like the Goodpastor. I didn't have the boat with to even try. Didn't have the luxury of having a jet boat. But I do know that I WANT that luxury and versatility for the future.

I have a friend from the lower 48, and we are currently researching boats as we plan to get one between now and fall, and split costs, and start a new "do it yourself" adventure of trying to get into wilderness caribou and moose opportunities. So I'm really not looking for any spots - but more for advice on those of you that do this, what boats and engines you use and recommend, tricks of the trade, things to take into consideration, and so on. Thanks in advance. I look forward to hearing you knowledge and expertise come forth!

Re: Boat for running up rivers - got experience? [Re: Wolverine Hunter] #6437823
01/23/19 05:32 PM
01/23/19 05:32 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
white17  Offline

W

McGrath, AK
Depends mostly on the type of water you're going to be running.

If it's a bigger river with long wide bends and a lot of fetch, you might want a Vee or semi-vee hull. But if its a narrower river with quick tight bends and trees along the bank, you should be ok with a flat bottom....IMO.

I ran these interior rivers for decades now with a 24 foot flat bottom. There have been a couple of times that I have had to pull into a slough for a couple of days to hide from the wind. But in general. I prefer the flat bottom. Especially if you need to drag it a bit.

Personally, I would not choose a jet. Fuel consumption is double that of a prop. At least on the two strokes. I wouldn't like to carry more fuel at the expense of other gear that I might need or want.

Bottom line is to decide where you will be using the rig most.

Mean As Nails
Re: Boat for running up rivers - got experience? [Re: Wolverine Hunter] #6437828
01/23/19 05:35 PM
01/23/19 05:35 PM
NWT
Ryan McLeod Offline
trapper
Ryan McLeod  Offline
trapper

NWT
What white said.

If you take care of the land the land will take care of you
Re: Boat for running up rivers - got experience? [Re: Wolverine Hunter] #6438005
01/23/19 08:25 PM
01/23/19 08:25 PM
Bethel, Alaska
fishermann222 Offline
"OX"
fishermann222  Offline
"OX"

Bethel, Alaska
We run Props out here until we run out of prop water, then we pull over on gravel bars and change out the prop to the jet. This takes about an hour at the most. Then jet boat further. If your new to jet boating you can get into some real trouble. I suggest going with jet boaters to learn a bit before getting yourself into a situation you can't get out of. LOTS of people have flipped boats when they are new.

All that said if you choose a jet boat most of us out here that do it a lot use wooldridges.

I survived the Tman crash of '06
Re: Boat for running up rivers - got experience? [Re: Wolverine Hunter] #6438048
01/23/19 08:58 PM
01/23/19 08:58 PM
Alaska and Washington State
W
waggler Offline
trapper
waggler  Offline
trapper
W

Alaska and Washington State
Good advice above.

One thing I might mention; if you might find yourself with a jet drive late in the season you can get stranded really quick if you get even a little bit of ice on the river; been there, done that. If that might be the case be sure to carry prop lower unit with you, or have an axillary prop outboard with you.

The time I got "schooled" on the subject we had been camped out for a couple of days on a rather straight stretch of river. Things seemed to be okay, it was cold, but the river was still wide open (or so we thought). We had noticed frazil ice floating down the river for past couple of days not realizing what was happening downstream at the first bend in the river where the current slowed down a bit. With a little effort we could have plowed through it with a prop, no way with a jet; the water intake plugs up instantly. Needless to say the boat spent the rest of the winter up the river winched up on the bank.

Last edited by waggler; 01/23/19 09:23 PM.

"My life is better than your vacation"
Re: Boat for running up rivers - got experience? [Re: white17] #6438102
01/23/19 09:36 PM
Homer, Alaska, USA
W
trapper
trapper
W

Homer, Alaska, USA
White17 - My biggest goal right now is to get after the caribou, and probably the 40mile herd.

Can you speak to the Goodpastor - and a prop versus a jet (or skip if you'd rather not)? I watched some youtube videos yesterday of some guys up in pretty skinny water, in the braids - jumping trees and what not.

I'm sure water depth changes from year to year, and month to month. I just feel like my caribou hunt would have looked a whole lot different last year if I had the right boat.

Re: Boat for running up rivers - got experience? [Re: Wolverine Hunter] #6438103
Orergon
A
alaska viking Offline
"Made it two years not being censored"
alaska viking  Offline
A

Orergon
Air boat. However, you can crash those, too. Trust me.

Just doing what I want now.

Re: Boat for running up rivers - got experience? [Re: fishermann222] #6438108
01/23/19 09:38 PM
01/23/19 09:38 PM
Homer, Alaska, USA
W
trapper
trapper
W

Homer, Alaska, USA
We have been looking at Wooldridges. So if you change out the lower unit while you are out there - do you have to be equipped to raise and lower the engine on the transom?

Last edited by Wolverine Hunter; 01/23/19 09:38 PM.
Re: Boat for running up rivers - got experience? [Re: Wolverine Hunter] #6438169
01/23/19 10:11 PM
01/23/19 10:11 PM

O
Oh Snap
Unregistered
Oh Snap
Unregistered
O

The upper Goodpasture, Salcha can drop 6 inches in hours I found out the hard way. Good Luck!

If you are changing from a jet to a prop you might need a lift. I have a Wooldridge and that is what I had to do.

Last edited by Oh Snap; 01/23/19 10:51 PM.
Re: Boat for running up rivers - got experience? [Re: Wolverine Hunter] #6438204
01/23/19 10:26 PM
01/23/19 10:26 PM
MN, USA
star flakes Offline
trapper
star flakes  Offline
trapper

MN, USA
Why do you not try the [/i]tricks and the trade first[i] , meaning, instead of talking to a friend down here, maybe make friends up there in asking the hunters on the river what they like, do not like and why. A beer will buy allot of knowledge and if someone likes you, they may do the drop off and pick up for a hunt, as you might trade in something they want. It would be cheaper and if word gets around that you might be interested in a boat, someone who thought it was a great idea, will be looking to unload that idea on you, if you still want one.
It usually works for me as people always like being experts on things and educating the world on what geniuses they are.

Re: Boat for running up rivers - got experience? [Re: Wolverine Hunter] #6438207
01/23/19 10:29 PM
01/23/19 10:29 PM
Bethel, Alaska
fishermann222 Offline
"OX"
fishermann222  Offline
"OX"

Bethel, Alaska
Yes you will need a lift.

I survived the Tman crash of '06
Re: Boat for running up rivers - got experience? [Re: Wolverine Hunter] #6438261
01/23/19 11:09 PM
01/23/19 11:09 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

white17  Offline

W

McGrath, AK
Originally Posted by Wolverine Hunter
White17 - My biggest goal right now is to get after the caribou, and probably the 40mile herd.

Can you speak to the Goodpastor - and a prop versus a jet (or skip if you'd rather not)? I watched some youtube videos yesterday of some guys up in pretty skinny water, in the braids - jumping trees and what not.

I'm sure water depth changes from year to year, and month to month. I just feel like my caribou hunt would have looked a whole lot different last year if I had the right boat.

I can't help you on the Goodpaster.

But that's a long ways to go for caribou. And remember, when you are hunting from a boat you are very much confined to the river corridor.

Any time I set out to specifically hunt caribou it was with a dog team or a Super Cub. Otherwise they were just targets of opportunity while on the river.

I Think if I was in your shoes I would look towards the Mulchatna herd given your location. Fly out and get dropped off on a ridge somewhere you are pretty sure there are critters and where you can see better.

You might also consider hunting the Denali highway. They can be pretty thick in that area in the fall and visibility is generally very good.

Not trying to talk you out of a boat. But I have always found them better suited to moose hunting

Mean As Nails
Re: Boat for running up rivers - got experience? [Re: Wolverine Hunter] #6438293
01/23/19 11:39 PM
01/23/19 11:39 PM
Orergon
A
alaska viking Offline
alaska viking  Offline
A

Orergon
I hunted the Mulchatna herd, out of Illiamna, twice, just as the crash was starting.
I hear it is coming back. I will say that if you go on August, bring multiple headnets, and buy stock in every company currently selling 100% deet.

Just doing what I want now.

Re: Boat for running up rivers - got experience? [Re: Wolverine Hunter] #6438301
01/23/19 11:44 PM
01/23/19 11:44 PM
Homer, Alaska
C
Cytex Offline
trapper
Cytex  Offline
trapper
C

Homer, Alaska
I would think it would be best to choose a propulsion system for a longer term, not just based on one river. If your really looking at trailering up to the interior and running the big rivers a prop would be best as white suggests. Here around the Kenai with glacier rivers being most of the opportunity your going nowhere without a jet. I don't have any experience boating the interior, but I've been told a jet can get you away from the crowds. My only on hand observations are locally and a jet opened up a lot of new areas. As others have pointed out running marginal water in a jetboat takes some skill and practice.

Re: Boat for running up rivers - got experience? [Re: Wolverine Hunter] #6438313
01/24/19 12:07 AM
01/24/19 12:07 AM

O
Oh Snap
Unregistered
Oh Snap
Unregistered
O

I think White is correct. You and your buddy fly into an area where there are Caribou. Buy a boat that you can run a jet or prop. Living in Homer you could use it in the ocean and on easy rivers while learning.

My experience in the interior has been on the upper portions of the Chena, Salcha and 40 or so miles up the Goodpasture. With the crowds during hunting season (low water) a jet boat is limited how far you can go which creates a jet boat jam. With the introduction of the air boats the skinny water is accessible into the boulder patch stuff. On the Goodpasture the upper part is below the Pogo Mine. One Labor day 10 years ago the Salcha parking lot had 110 boat trailers in it. I have been up the Sacha over 80 miles with a jet boat but spent 6 hours and the river dropped 6 inches while I was there. It was a white knuckle ride for 10 miles or so.

Re: Boat for running up rivers - got experience? [Re: Wolverine Hunter] #6438320
01/24/19 12:16 AM
01/24/19 12:16 AM
North Pole ak
T
Team V Offline
trapper
Team V  Offline
trapper
T

North Pole ak
Have ran good Pasteur way up past pogo in my sport Jon and in a SJX . A good basic boat to run it with 2 guys and gear would be a flat bottom 18 foot with a 90 horse and a tunnel hull . Sold my sport Jon and run a 15 foot flat now and run it all over [Linked Image]

Last edited by Team V; 01/24/19 12:20 AM.
Re: Boat for running up rivers - got experience? [Re: Wolverine Hunter] #6438841
01/24/19 03:26 PM
01/24/19 03:26 PM
Kenai AK
K
KenaiKid Offline
trapper
KenaiKid  Offline
trapper
K

Kenai AK
Are you familiar with long-tail mud motors? If not, I’m sure AKNative will show up soon to educate you. He’s about got me convinced to try one.

I pasted one of his videos since he hasn’t got on yet.

Originally Posted by Aknative

Originally Posted by Dirt
Originally Posted by Rat Masterson
Boco couldn't catch a cold.

But if he did, it would be Top Lot.
Re: Boat for running up rivers - got experience? [Re: Wolverine Hunter] #6438863
01/24/19 03:44 PM
01/24/19 03:44 PM
Bethel, Alaska
Jetboat Ben Offline
trapper
Jetboat Ben  Offline
trapper

Bethel, Alaska
I haven't been up the Goodpastor but I do 100% of my hunting out of a jet boat. I have two jet boats at the moment and I use them in two different ways. So maybe this will help you make your decision.

Boat #1 Wooldridge Alaskan 2. 20.5' long with a 175 Mecurey PorXS outboard. This is my haul anything boat. If the boat still floats after you load it will get on step with the jet on. Like Fisherman222 we run up as far as we can with the prop then change out to the jet. My outboard is probably the easiest model to change out. Kusko and I have changed the prop to the jet in under 6 minutes! If you plan on bringing both lower units that's maybe something to consider. another reason I went with the 175 (a little over sized for my boat.) is because once you put the jet on you loose about 30% of your power. On the rivers we run its nice to be able to get on step in about a boat length if you end up stopped in a skinny spot. While hunting I use the big boat for hauling up a base camp and hauling meat back.

Boat #2 The "Split Shot" (because its a sinker) 1648 Lowe jonboat with a Yamaha F40 (30hp with the jet) We drag this one up the river to our base camp in the late spring with the big boat and that's where it stays until October. This is the boat that I do most of my hunting out of. The boats small size lets me go farther than most, get off a gravel bar easily if you mess up and if you suck something into the pump and lose power its easy to stop. It also has oar locks and that lets me jump behind the oars and row to shore safely, if you loose power, float hunt, and get back to base camp.(Take less gas and that saves weight) There are some draw backs with the small boat the biggest being the amount of weight you can haul. Our little boat camp isn't as minimal as a camp that you would take on a super cub hunt but its close. With myself a hunting buddy camp, and a dead moose your not getting on step. Another draw back is the boat has a thin haul. Zspar and 3M5200/4200 have saved my butt more than once.

If I had more money...
Boat #3 Jetech LLC inflatable jet raft. My next jet boat will be one of these.They are surprisingly affordable compared to other rafts and they come in lots of sizes. 90% of the holes I put in the split shot are made when I have a moose or two in the boat. This is because you can't get on step and you draw more water. I rub bottom where I wouldn't hesitate to go through while on step. Rocks and aluminum don't mix. But if I had a raft could bounce off rocks all the way down with out a scratch. Plus it would fit in my Wooldridge and I would't have to drag a boat any more. I could take it from one river to the next in a few hours.
Don't get me wrong I love the split shot but I'm tired of sinking.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Boat for running up rivers - got experience? [Re: Wolverine Hunter] #6438879
01/24/19 03:58 PM
01/24/19 03:58 PM
Bethel, Alaska
Jetboat Ben Offline
trapper
Jetboat Ben  Offline
trapper

Bethel, Alaska
Got post happy and didn't finish. Plus it (the raft) will fit in my Wooldridge and I can take it to another river without too much trouble. I'm drooling thinking of the adventure possibilities as I'm writing this. Got to have it!
Hoped this helps.

Re: Boat for running up rivers - got experience? [Re: Cytex] #6438902
01/24/19 04:37 PM
01/24/19 04:37 PM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Offline
trapper
Posco  Offline
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
Originally Posted by Cytex
As others have pointed out running marginal water in a jetboat takes some skill and practice.

I was lucky if I got two weekends out of a prop on the Kenai. Jets suck up the gravel?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  akntrpr, Ol' Blister, otterman