Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

ATS
(Please support Ted's Fur Shed, our sponsor for the Wilderness Page)

Alaska Trappers Association

Print Thread
Hop To
Lynx Snares #6441445
01/26/19 08:37 PM
01/26/19 08:37 PM
Kelowna BC Canada
trapper ron Offline OP
trapper
trapper ron  Offline OP
trapper

Kelowna BC Canada
May not be applicable to most Alaska trappers if you do not have cougar populations.

Doing a lynx snare refit. All of my lynx snares will be modified to have 265 pound breakaways on them. Also going to a slide opening loop on the tie end. Did not have an incidental cougar catch this year but lots of tracks out there. Just got 200 BADS from North River Trapping Supplies plus there are about 50 in my kit. About 75% of my snares will be 7 feet long. Short ones are used where a small tree up to 2" diameter forms part of the snare cubby opening. The long snares get tied to the nearest solid anchor spot.
Here is how my lynx snares will be made from now on. The BAD is given a 90 degree turn to better attach the lock and double ferrule end stop. Micro lock is my favorite for lynx snares. The tie end has an adjustable loop made with a ferrule and a double ferrule end stop. Snares are 7 foot long using 16th 7x7 wire. Cost per snare approximately $2.00 each. Depending on quantities of parts and supplier. When it comes to snares and snaring cheaper is not always better. I believe in good equipment and well-made snares.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Micro Lock, BAD, and double ferrule end stop.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Sliding tie end loop made with double ferrule and double ferrule end stop.

Member BCTA
Trapping Instructor

"It's what you learn after you know it all that really counts."
Re: Lynx Snares [Re: trapper ron] #6441479
01/26/19 09:24 PM
01/26/19 09:24 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Good looking snare Ron.
Whats the benefit of an adjustable end loop as opposed to just a big loop?

Last edited by Boco; 01/26/19 09:25 PM.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Lynx Snares [Re: Boco] #6441519
01/26/19 10:01 PM
01/26/19 10:01 PM
Kelowna BC Canada
trapper ron Offline OP
trapper
trapper ron  Offline OP
trapper

Kelowna BC Canada
When I go around a tree to fasten I open the loop so the snare and lock easily go through. A small loop you sometimes have to almost kink the wire to thread it through. On some of my lynx pens I can also slop it around the end of one of the poles used as a top rail. It works very well on wolf snares where the lock, and kill spring are much larger.

Member BCTA
Trapping Instructor

Re: Lynx Snares [Re: trapper ron] #6441653
01/27/19 12:14 AM
01/27/19 12:14 AM
Interior AK
W
wyo marten man Offline
trapper
wyo marten man  Offline
trapper
W

Interior AK
Those will be some fine lynx snares! I also prefer a adjustable loop on tie off end. I prefer a release ferrel instead of a hook for breakaways. Only reason being is less pieces on the snare and a little less visibility then a s hook. Both are obviously deadly though!! I will pick up occasional coyote in some locations so make sure I have a kill spring! good snares though for sure!

Re: Lynx Snares [Re: trapper ron] #6441673
01/27/19 12:52 AM
01/27/19 12:52 AM
Moved to Fbks, Ak.
M
martentrapper Offline
trapper
martentrapper  Offline
trapper
M

Moved to Fbks, Ak.
Is this a new requirement? Does a typical snare loop set for lynx expose the trapper to cougar catches? How many lynx trappers are catching cougar?
mt

Re: Lynx Snares [Re: martentrapper] #6441698
01/27/19 02:59 AM
01/27/19 02:59 AM
Kelowna BC Canada
trapper ron Offline OP
trapper
trapper ron  Offline OP
trapper

Kelowna BC Canada
Originally Posted by martentrapper
Is this a new requirement? Does a typical snare loop set for lynx expose the trapper to cougar catches? How many lynx trappers are catching cougar?
mt

A lot of cougars here are caught in lynx snares with a 7 1/2 inch loop. One trapper here has had 3 incidental catches of cougar this season in lynx snares. Another trapper where there are a lot of cougar had 5 released with break-a-way snares. He uses all BADS for that reason.

Member BCTA
Trapping Instructor

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  akntrpr, Ol' Blister, otterman