ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Tannerite #6435598
01/21/19 03:32 AM
01/21/19 03:32 AM
Mississippi
M
mike jerrell Offline OP
trapper
mike jerrell  Offline OP
trapper
M

Mississippi
I need to know how y’all rig tannerite for blowing beave dams. I still break em by hand but I’m old and and some are just a bit much for me and my potato fork. I hear folks talk about punching a hole down in the face of the dam pottin in some tanneries and backing away and shooting with a rifle. How much tannerite to use to use,what type container and how large a caliber rifle Ltd I use. All help is appreciated.

Last edited by mike jerrell; 01/21/19 03:33 AM. Reason: Misspelling

Gotta spread your arms and hold your breath and always trust your cape. ~ Jerry Jeff Walker
Re: Tannerite [Re: mike jerrell] #6435750
01/21/19 10:13 AM
01/21/19 10:13 AM
wisconsin
F
forester79 Offline
trapper
forester79  Offline
trapper
F

wisconsin
The problem with using tannerite is that for the blast to be effective it has to be completely barried in the dam. Makes it hard to shoot and set off. For good results another method of detonateing it would have to be figured out.

Re: Tannerite [Re: mike jerrell] #6435757
01/21/19 10:19 AM
01/21/19 10:19 AM
Ohio
Ronaround Offline
trapper
Ronaround  Offline
trapper

Ohio
i would also like to hear if its something that works and the quantity that needs to be effective also?

Re: Tannerite [Re: mike jerrell] #6436048
01/21/19 03:45 PM
01/21/19 03:45 PM
MN, USA
star flakes Offline
trapper
star flakes  Offline
trapper

MN, USA
Mr. Jerrell, I would not recommend it for two reasons. The regulations on use of this product are open to interpretation as these links indicate. The ATF focuses on NON BUSINESS USE ONLY in what they view as a regulation, meaning if you are removing a beaver dam in ADC, they would probably view that as business related. I would not want my life disrupted by someone regulating a law in an agency.

ATF Issues Notice Concerning Binary Exploding Target Products ...
Federal Laws Apply Once You Mix the Binary Elements! While separated binary explosives are currently legal to own and use (with minimal restrictions), there are some important legal considerations involved in the storage, distribution, and use of MIXED binary explosives.
[Search domain bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2012/06/atf-issues-notice-concerning-binary-exploding-target-products/] bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2012/06/atf-issues-notice-concerning-binary-exploding-target-products/
Binary Explosives | Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and ...
Storage regulations do not apply to binary explosives until they are mixed. Manufacturing. Mixing binary components together constitutes manufacturing explosives. Persons manufacturing explosives for their own personal, non-business use only (e.g., personal target practice) are not required to have a Federal explosives license or permit.
[Search domain www.atf.gov/explosives/binary-explosives] https://www.atf.gov/explosives/binary-explosives

Second, watch the Clinton Eastwood movie, the Good, the Bad and the Ugly. When they blow the bridge, a huge chunk of bridge comes flying at Eastwood and almost hits the camera behind the actors. Explosions create projectiles and you are not going to be able to set off tannerite far enough away to not ever have some rock or stick become a projectile.

I would suggest instead having someone weld you up a very large grapple hook which would not bend. Attach it to a large block on a protected tree and by electric winch tackle the holes in the dam. If you stay clear from grapples dislodging or other misfortunes this would be the most expedient, unless you have a tractor which would serve the part of the winch. A backhoe would work also if you have a great deal of money lying around.

I would stay away from the explosives though as they are dangerous and because sooner or later someone from ATF or your game department is going to appear looking to make your case a resume enhancer as it just begs for trouble.

Re: Tannerite [Re: mike jerrell] #6436235
01/21/19 07:32 PM
01/21/19 07:32 PM
Louisiana
Aix sponsa Offline
trapper
Aix sponsa  Offline
trapper

Louisiana
I would read over star flake’s response at least 15 or 16 times until it really sunk in, because it’s valuable information.

Re: Tannerite [Re: mike jerrell] #6436658
01/22/19 10:42 AM
01/22/19 10:42 AM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
Mike
Ive done it tannerite frče for yrs by:
running a rod down thru the dam at an angle with a log chain attached, then hooking both ends to the cable on a come-along/hand winch
OR
the day/evening BEFORE heavy rain is predicted, chain saw/rip a large hole in the dam bout 2-3 ft wide and 2 ft deep, and the following insurgent rains/pressure undercut the dam near the creek bed and usually the dam is 90% gone the next day.

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Re: Tannerite [Re: Ronaround] #6437409
01/23/19 09:04 AM
01/23/19 09:04 AM
Mississippi
M
mike jerrell Offline OP
trapper
mike jerrell  Offline OP
trapper
M

Mississippi
Ronaround, I wasted my time with this post. I’m just gonna contact one of the Beaver Control guys in this area and ask them to tell me hour they use tannerite to blow the dams.People do it all the time with great success.I have seen the results. The reason I asked this group was in thinking someone might know.
Big mistake. I will pm you with details

Last edited by mike jerrell; 01/23/19 09:05 AM.

Gotta spread your arms and hold your breath and always trust your cape. ~ Jerry Jeff Walker
Re: Tannerite [Re: mike jerrell] #6442076
01/27/19 02:15 PM
01/27/19 02:15 PM
Maine
J
Jonnytrapper Offline
trapper
Jonnytrapper  Offline
trapper
J

Maine
Originally Posted by mike jerrell
I wasted my time with this post.

That's an interesting way to look at it. You asked a question and people said it was both dangerous and illegal. You're clearly going to do it anyway which is fine by me but no body else wants to participate.

Guy blows his leg off
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=S6V0S1m5a7U

Close call
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=c9SZWma_zdk

High speed microwave
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OxFgGIL_Jm0

Dishwasher
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9SO7qLHRTKY

Large chunks
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lcRB3J1DLXI

Watch any number of videos where chucks of debris fly by the shooter and the camera man. Explosives placed inside something is called a bomb. Needs to be detonated from a very safe distance.

Re: Tannerite [Re: mike jerrell] #6442488
01/27/19 08:35 PM
01/27/19 08:35 PM
Lakes Region Indiana
L
loosanarrow Offline
trapper
loosanarrow  Offline
trapper
L

Lakes Region Indiana
I happen to be one of those “beaver control guys”, and I know a lot of others who carry the same title. If you want to play with tannerite, by all means have fun. But as far as busting beaver dams, we all just tear them out with simple tools. Not only is it less expensive, overall it is about as fast and much more controlled. And a lot less dangerous.
You asked for advice from proffessional nuisance control operators and we are giving you the inside scoop - we don’t do it with tannerite, there is no need to do it that way, and we strongly advise against it. Tannerite is a big boy fun toy, not a tool of the trade. Go on AR-15 com and ask them, they love big boom toys. We use tater rakes, grapples, chainsaws, and winches.
True, back in the days when you did not need expensive insurance and nearly impossible licensing, it was probably fairly easy to “stuff a few sticks” and blow them, but that ended long ago.
Really, you wasted our time by not taking our experinced, free advice. Although you asked “how” we do it, not “if” we do it, we can’t tell you “how” because we are not doing it like that.
All of that said, if you blow one I’d love to watch... Sounds fun. But I probably won’t be able to because I will be tearing out another beaver dam (with a tater rake...) for another client.

Website www.mgnbd.com
Re: Tannerite [Re: mike jerrell] #6442542
01/27/19 09:18 PM
01/27/19 09:18 PM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
Mike
the "Beaver Control Guys" that used explosives, and I rode with for a couple yrs, did NOT use tannerite. They used 2 substances, first was a pop can 2/3 full of white powder, then a medium sized tube of red fluid...like a toothpaste tube shape.
They'd make a hole into the depth of the dam, about 1 hole every 6 ft, then pour the red liquid into the powder, then attach lil yellow wires in a string, slide the can into the hole made in the dam, and we'd roll out the wire about 200 ft at least and hide behind trees, attach wires to the electric charge box, then twist the handle VERY hard and fast to send a electrical charge to the loads and watch them all go about the same time.

Again, the pro's don't use tannerite due to its volatility and danger like Jonnytrapper posted.

Is it out of the question for the landowner to call the USDA guys with the good stuff I mentioned?

Here it is only $150 to have one blown and my customers are usually ok with that price.

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Re: Tannerite [Re: mike jerrell] #6482176
03/05/19 10:53 PM
03/05/19 10:53 PM
WI - Wisconsin
A
AJE Offline
trapper
AJE  Offline
trapper
A

WI - Wisconsin
How did the tannerite work mike? You ok?

Last edited by AJE; 03/05/19 10:54 PM.
Re: Tannerite [Re: mike jerrell] #6483067
03/06/19 08:47 PM
03/06/19 08:47 PM
Louisiana
AirportTrapper Online content
trapper
AirportTrapper  Online Content
trapper

Louisiana
Must not have went well. This was his last post...

If it makes a track on this earth , I can catch it.
Re: Tannerite [Re: mike jerrell] #6483161
03/06/19 10:28 PM
03/06/19 10:28 PM
WI - Wisconsin
A
AJE Offline
trapper
AJE  Offline
trapper
A

WI - Wisconsin
My guess was that it didn't go well.