Lure and Bait Making

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Southern Snares
Please support our sponsor for the Lure and Bait makers forum - Southern Snares

Print Thread
Hop To
??How to make oils edible?? #6452516
02/06/19 06:50 AM
02/06/19 06:50 AM
Rochester, MN
Teacher Offline OP
trapper
Teacher  Offline OP
trapper

Rochester, MN
I’d like to try a bait station for coon on a different scale by mixing apple, cherry, loganberry OR persimmon oil with cracked corn or other materials. My questions to you are: are these edible right out of the bottle? If not, how do you make them edible?

Never too old to learn
Re: ??How to make oils edible?? [Re: Teacher] #6452564
02/06/19 08:37 AM
02/06/19 08:37 AM
Mass
TDHP Offline
trapper
TDHP  Offline
trapper

Mass
I have seen coon demolish bait with oils in it without offsetting the oil. Also have had the bait get them there but refused the bait, then tested in another base and they couldn't get enough of it. I've seen lots of people type that X ingredient wont work because it's bitter to the animal or isn't as good as whatever, but when I tested, I've had nothing but positive results with them. Base material is key for me, people can tell you what they want, but until you try it yourself to evaluate the product, you'll never really know.

Smile, you're an expert!
http://tdhpwildlifecontrol.webs.com/
Re: ??How to make oils edible?? [Re: Teacher] #6452660
02/06/19 10:50 AM
02/06/19 10:50 AM
NH
S
sgs Offline
trapper
sgs  Offline
trapper
S

NH
Originally Posted by Teacher
My questions to you are: are these edible right out of the bottle? If not, how do you make them edible?

Dilution is key. As is they are very concentrated and not particularly palatable.

Re: ??How to make oils edible?? [Re: Teacher] #6452704
02/06/19 12:00 PM
02/06/19 12:00 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
There are many food grade available flavorings both oils and syrups that are of very high quality in odor representation and will not cause taste aversion in a bait or formula. Some have sweeteners enhanced in them. You can add your own sweeteners if you choose to enhance odor and flavor reinforcement.

Use some of these materials in areas that will give you your desired results. Chemical based essential oils are not the only choice that is available for this purpose. There are several excellent sweeteners that can boost any bait formula. You can also make your own bases from neutral base materials in this manner.

Lorann oils has good food grade products.

Many essential oils are not food grade that are sold in our industry and are chemical odor representation materials. Some may very well be sold that are purchased from the food flavoring industry and would work quite nicely in bait use.

Some whole grain products do not absorb liquids very well but will coat the material to a degree. In the case being discussed you may be well served in trying some taste friendly flavored powdered jello packets of your choosing.

Dampen the grain with some water / p. glycol or glycerin blended in a bucket. Use just enough liquid to coat the batch no more. Stir in the fluid well to just moisten the batch only. Once it seems wet looking add your powder flavoring and stir well. A done deal. Coon will eat it all if they find it and come back for more.

Re: ??How to make oils edible?? [Re: Teacher] #6457026
02/10/19 02:47 PM
02/10/19 02:47 PM
Chauncey, Ohio
W
wormbobskey Offline
trapper
wormbobskey  Offline
trapper
W

Chauncey, Ohio
I have used pelletized floating fish food as a base for my ADC coon bait for years and have had very good success with it. I'm not sure what the pellets are made of but they hold they're shape well after adding the other ingredients. Coon, opossum, skunk and even ground hog consume it all when I come to remove them from the traps.

OSTA
Lanums ADC & Repair
We don't do bugs
Re: ??How to make oils edible?? [Re: Teacher] #6457143
02/10/19 05:25 PM
02/10/19 05:25 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
Most all fish foods whether flake or pelletized feeds are comprised of fish meal powder and fish oil primarily; Then other nutrients that are needed to complete the formula are added then they are formed for retail sale.

Re: ??How to make oils edible?? [Re: Teacher] #6457370
02/10/19 08:38 PM
02/10/19 08:38 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
I have hauled fish meal from Memphis and blood meal from here in KS to a mill south of Houston making fish pellets. That blood meal came from cattle and so red it has a purple tint. They removed the plasma for human consumption and the red blood cells are flash frozen. They thaw then are meal at that point, really an almost purple dust. So I think the amount of fish meal is much higher than the blood meal as the pellets had no red in them I could see. The fish meal is whole fish, buffalo and carp, ground then cooked into meal. The cooking dehydrates it so it keeps. When your inside the building getting loaded the smell is pretty strong and not particularly pleasant. I've no clue what else is in those pellets. Any feed store can get you a bag of either one if you want to play with them.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: ??How to make oils edible?? [Re: Teacher] #6458557
02/11/19 10:27 PM
02/11/19 10:27 PM
Chauncey, Ohio
W
wormbobskey Offline
trapper
wormbobskey  Offline
trapper
W

Chauncey, Ohio
Amazingly the only thing that doesn't seem to be attracted to my ADC bait is cats. I think I have only ever caught one cat using that bait in the last 10 years and that was because the cat was starving. The other ingredients combined give off a pretty sweet smell.

OSTA
Lanums ADC & Repair
We don't do bugs
Re: ??How to make oils edible?? [Re: wormbobskey] #6462965
02/16/19 02:45 AM
02/16/19 02:45 AM
Morgantown, WV
D
Dfabs Offline
trapper
Dfabs  Offline
trapper
D

Morgantown, WV
Originally Posted by wormbobskey
I have used pelletized floating fish food as a base for my ADC coon bait for years and have had very good success with it. I'm not sure what the pellets are made of but they hold they're shape well after adding the other ingredients. Coon, opossum, skunk and even ground hog consume it all when I come to remove them from the traps.

I use floating catfish food also mixed with pancake syrup and molasses. I’ve had coon, possum, skunks, Fox, and coyote all work DPs with this bait.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91