Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

ATS
(Please support Ted's Fur Shed, our sponsor for the Wilderness Page)

Alaska Trappers Association

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 17 18
Re: WH Journal [Re: Ryan McLeod] #6460253
02/13/19 12:44 PM
02/13/19 12:44 PM
Homer, Alaska, USA
W
Wolverine Hunter Offline OP
trapper
Wolverine Hunter  Offline OP
trapper
W

Homer, Alaska, USA
Originally Posted by Ryan McLeod
Off the top of my head I’d say 60% of wolverine have the usual coloration. 20% will be dark and the remaining 20% would be either pale crowned or pale altogether. There’s a lot of similar coloured wolverine around. It’s the dark ones and the ones with really white crowns that are less common. Different areas will vary though. I like them all but it’s the dark ones I like the most. Lots of nice colour variations with wolverine.

Ryan now you got me all jacked up about the different color varieties and the uniqueness amongst them. I was willing to catch one and then go focus on wolves - but now you got me wanting another wolverine ASAP - just to see what I can catch!

Re: WH Journal [Re: Wolverine Hunter] #6460289
02/13/19 01:22 PM
02/13/19 01:22 PM
juneau, alaska
A
alaska viking Offline
"Made it two years not being censored"
alaska viking  Offline
A

juneau, alaska
We don't have "Pine" marten. Google is your friend. smile

Made it almost 3 years without censor!

Re: WH Journal [Re: Wolverine Hunter] #6460465
02/13/19 05:48 PM
02/13/19 05:48 PM
Minnesota, USA
B
BORGY Offline
trapper
BORGY  Offline
trapper
B

Minnesota, USA
Congrats on the gulo, beautiful critter. Can tell by the joy on your face that you are really enjoying your new residence. I hope to get out there at some point in life and get a peak. These journals are exciting to read!

Re: WH Journal [Re: Wolverine Hunter] #6460492
02/13/19 06:43 PM
02/13/19 06:43 PM
Alberta
B
Bushman Offline
trapper
Bushman  Offline
trapper
B

Alberta
It's great to see your enthusiasm Wolverine Hunter, and it looks like you picked a good handle for yourself.

AV - There's no Vikings in Alaska either and we don't give you a hard time! grin

Re: WH Journal [Re: Bushman] #6460712
02/13/19 11:16 PM
02/13/19 11:16 PM
Homer, Alaska, USA
W
trapper
trapper
W

Homer, Alaska, USA
[quote=Bushman]It's great to see your enthusiasm Wolverine Hunter, and it looks like you picked a good handle for yourself.

AV - There's no Vikings in Alaska either and we don't give you a hard time! grin[/quote

I guess I don't know him well enough yet to give it right back, but I'm getting there. American Marten. European Marten. Pine Marten (Hey - I'm from MN so cut me some slack). They all trap the same, don't they?

After I get my wolf, I'm going to get a Brown Bear and an Interior Grizzly too :-) Hows that for proper...

Re: WH Journal [Re: Wolverine Hunter] #6460749
02/14/19 12:08 AM
02/14/19 12:08 AM
49th State
M
mad_mike Offline
trapper
mad_mike  Offline
trapper
M

49th State
Originally Posted by Wolverine Hunter
[quote=Bushman]It's great to see your enthusiasm Wolverine Hunter, and it looks like you picked a good handle for yourself.

AV - There's no Vikings in Alaska either and we don't give you a hard time! grin[/quote

I guess I don't know him well enough yet to give it right back, but I'm getting there. American Marten. European Marten. Pine Marten (Hey - I'm from MN so cut me some slack). They all trap the same, don't they?

After I get my wolf, I'm going to get a Brown Bear and an Interior Grizzly too :-) Hows that for proper...

Yep go get your bucket list!

Re: WH Journal [Re: Wolverine Hunter] #6461482
02/14/19 08:17 PM
02/14/19 08:17 PM
Anchorage, Alaska
broncoformudv Offline
trapper
broncoformudv  Offline
trapper

Anchorage, Alaska
That is freaking awesome! I can't wait to get a wolverine myself. Good luck with the wolves.

Re: WH Journal [Re: Wolverine Hunter] #6461638
02/14/19 10:46 PM
02/14/19 10:46 PM
Homer, Alaska, USA
W
trapper
trapper
W

Homer, Alaska, USA
Today, like so many days - I got kicked in the nuts, and the teeth. Different people have said this is hard work. No kidding!

I've waited four days to get back on the line, because the seas have been treacherous. Ten footers. Eight footers. Six footers. It has slowly been tapering. My next day off was today. I got up for an early start. I was backing my boat around a corner, and didn't know it, but one of our renters had parked in an unusual spot. I put my kicker motor right through his drivers side rear window. That's how it began.

Next, I met up with a state trooper. My trailer lights weren't working, and I knew it. But I went anyway. She was kind and graceful; we have talked a time or two about moose remains :-) But it was a little embarrassing, and a time setback. Now the pressure is on to get it fixed; if I get stopped again, I can expect a ticket. This is my deal. I DONT procrastinate trapping. I DO procrastinate mechanical type maintenance.

The seas were supposed to be two footers. Well, that was a lie. NDBC usually is better than that, but not this time. It was howling from the east, but I was being tenacious, and I went anyway. I'd say good 5 footers. Many times, when you go across and get into the bays, things are much more calm, but this wasn't one of those days. It was more the kind of day that, no matter where you go, the wind is kicking like it's a wind tunnel. I began part of one line, but was forced to quit. I wasn't about to anchor my boat in whitecaps while I climbed into a dingy to go to shore. I moved onto the second part of my line - but I looked down the bay with binoculars and saw the whole bay stacked with "dust devils" that were water particles, blown up into the air, swirled about, and instantly frozen. Regretfully, I turned away.

Getting back across the bay was perhaps some of the worst all around conditions I have been out in. I mean, I have been in bigger waves, but they weren't spraying up and encrusting my boat with instant ice like it was this morning. What was strange was going into four footers with a good 20mph straight line wind. Then up ahead, five and six footers stacked up one on the other, and with too short of a period to take on head on (not wanting to take one over the bow), so it was a bit of white-knuckling at times, making my way across. I never doubted I could do it. It just was zero fun.

So I came home a little dejected, but not defeated. Those of you that have read my journal, know that I don't quit. Nothing is going to stop me. So the traps will just have to soak until Saturday. We will live to fight another day.

I was up half the night, too excited to sleep, thinking about what might be in my traps, and the work I had to do. So when I got back, I took a hot shower and went right to sleep. NOW it appears to be calming down, but not enough daylight to do anything about it. Who knows, my wolf might be over there? You other wolves, keep your dam paws and teeth off my wolf!!! Or better yet, why don't you ALL just walk through a snare grin

Re: WH Journal [Re: Wolverine Hunter] #6461758
02/15/19 12:39 AM
02/15/19 12:39 AM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
white17  Offline

W

McGrath, AK
It's good to be determined but it's even better to use common sense. smile You're doing well so far. Don't let impatience cloud your judgment. Apply the lessons of the old bull and the young bull standing on the hilltop...............

If you haven't read the book Cheechako, by Wayne Short............pick up a copy. Your mention of spray turning to ice prompts that suggestion.

Mean As Nails
Re: WH Journal [Re: Wolverine Hunter] #6462121
02/15/19 12:50 PM
02/15/19 12:50 PM
juneau, alaska
A
alaska viking Offline
alaska viking  Offline
A

juneau, alaska
You will have to learn patience when trapping out of a boat. I operate out of a 17' open skiff in water that is notorious for it's violence. Every winter there are stretches of weather, (sometimes 10 days), that I am shut out by 10'-13' seas and heavy freezing spray. I have gotten better at avoiding the worst, but still get pounded now and then.
The smart mariner lives to sail another day.

Re: WH Journal [Re: Wolverine Hunter] #6462218
02/15/19 02:15 PM
02/15/19 02:15 PM
southeast alaska
T
tree Offline
trapper
tree  Offline
trapper
T

southeast alaska
I shudder to think of some of the boating I did as a kid. Frozen spray on clothing, concerned parents calling the Coast Guard, hypothermic friends, gas tanks floating OUT of an underway skiff that was basically awash, running up on the beach in gear, dumping gas on driftwood, standing in the flames trying to keep from freezing only to have to wade out to your crotch to relaunch the skiff, friend crouching in the bow with a bucket waiting for the wave to wash over me and the stern so he could jump aft and bail like crazy before the next one hit, all to maybe get a mink or otter. It was fun being an immortal teenager.
The water is a dangerous place on the nicest of days.
When In Doubt, Chicken Out

Last edited by tree; 02/15/19 02:17 PM.
Re: WH Journal [Re: Wolverine Hunter] #6462231
02/15/19 02:25 PM
02/15/19 02:25 PM
juneau, alaska
A
alaska viking Offline
alaska viking  Offline
A

juneau, alaska
Yes, tree, you have indeed been there, and know too well the perils.
How are the new digs?

Re: WH Journal [Re: Wolverine Hunter] #6462245
02/15/19 02:37 PM
02/15/19 02:37 PM
Co.-Wy. part time AK.
W
wy.wolfer Offline
trapper
wy.wolfer  Offline
trapper
W

Co.-Wy. part time AK.
If you're still looking for a taxidermist to mount that wolverine, you might contact Leon Metz up in Soldotna. Leon's trying to retire but he's a great taxidermist and he might agree to mount it for you with a little coaxing.

Re: WH Journal [Re: Wolverine Hunter] #6462311
02/15/19 04:15 PM
02/15/19 04:15 PM
Wasilla AK
HFT AK Offline
trapper
HFT AK  Offline
trapper

Wasilla AK
WH, be safe dude. I have seen those seas go from glass to 10 footers in a matter of minutes and once your in it there is no turning around. You will find that even though we have some of the best people that predict weather, mother mother follows her own rules and does what she wants smile

Re: WH Journal [Re: Wolverine Hunter] #6462387
02/15/19 05:42 PM
02/15/19 05:42 PM
Homer, Alaska, USA
W
trapper
trapper
W

Homer, Alaska, USA
Thanks all for your suggestions. Sometimes I get hung up between the necessity of checking traps (feeling responsible for the critters, and for obeying the laws, etc) and get focused on THAT, along with my excitement to check, instead of safety.

I will definitely be thinking about this differently in the future. Like - yesterday was dangerous, but also a big fat waste of time and expense. Next time, I will check the weather and the tides - but if I drive down and it doesn't match the predictions - I will just bag it.

Worst that can happen is that a wolf eats my wolf, or a wolf eats my second wolverine (And that can happen on the first day or the second day or the fifth day). Or, a critter gets caught in a trap for longer than I'd like (and this can happen even in a conibear or a snare too).

Maybe I will have to accept that I can't use leg holds (which I am using almost ZERO right now anyway) . But no matter what, I have to accept that these things that are "less than ideal" DO happen occasionally. Irregardless, My life is more important.

Last edited by Wolverine Hunter; 02/15/19 05:45 PM.
Re: WH Journal [Re: Wolverine Hunter] #6462531
02/15/19 08:15 PM
02/15/19 08:15 PM
juneau, alaska
A
alaska viking Offline
alaska viking  Offline
A

juneau, alaska
And with conibears, your catch will be frozen.

Re: WH Journal [Re: Wolverine Hunter] #6462778
02/15/19 10:53 PM
02/15/19 10:53 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

white17  Offline

W

McGrath, AK
Originally Posted by Wolverine Hunter
Thanks all for your suggestions. Sometimes I get hung up between the necessity of checking traps (feeling responsible for the critters, and for obeying the laws, etc) and get focused on THAT, along with my excitement to check, instead of safety.

I will definitely be thinking about this differently in the future. Like - yesterday was dangerous, but also a big fat waste of time and expense. Next time, I will check the weather and the tides - but if I drive down and it doesn't match the predictions - I will just bag it.

Worst that can happen is that a wolf eats my wolf, or a wolf eats my second wolverine (And that can happen on the first day or the second day or the fifth day). Or, a critter gets caught in a trap for longer than I'd like (and this can happen even in a conibear or a snare too).

Maybe I will have to accept that I can't use leg holds (which I am using almost ZERO right now anyway) . But no matter what, I have to accept that these things that are "less than ideal" DO happen occasionally. Irregardless, My life is more important.

It is always best to obey the laws but as far as I am aware ( and that leaves room for interpretation) there is no trap check law anywhere in Alaska. It is that way for the very reason we are talking about. Personal safety. Do not risk your neck to check your traps...............any more than normal smile

Mean As Nails
Re: WH Journal [Re: alaska viking] #6462873
02/15/19 11:55 PM
02/15/19 11:55 PM
Homer, Alaska, USA
W
trapper
trapper
W

Homer, Alaska, USA
Originally Posted by alaska viking
And with conibears, your catch will be frozen.

AV - just out of curiosity - have you (or others) ever caught a wolverine in a conibear, and still had it be alive?

I have caught both beaver and otter by the feet, and by the tail. Sometimes I wonder how the heck they get themselves into that predicament, but they do. Slow trap. Or, they back in. Or, they are feeling their way. Or, have a stick in their hand and such. So it makes me wonder about wolverines...
I obviously don't have the experience to know.

Re: WH Journal [Re: Wolverine Hunter] #6462902
02/16/19 12:22 AM
02/16/19 12:22 AM
Alberta
B
Bushman Offline
trapper
Bushman  Offline
trapper
B

Alberta
We do have trapline check law here in Alberta (48 hours footholds) so body-grips, 330's usually, are the main trap of choice for wolverines. They work just fine and freezing is not an issue. It's not like you're going to pick up a bunch on a run so just pack a spare and bring Wolverine and trap home to thaw out.

Another great lethal set is an elevated snare set. Horizontal log 8-10' high and 12' long. Hang a large meat bait from a cable in the center. It's important the meat is just out of the Wolverines reach, so that it'll go up a couple of leaning logs to get up on the pole. Usually two leaners, each with snares, plus a snare on each end of horizontal logs, so four in total.

A real bush savvy person may push it a bit but does not put their life in danger. That's a rookie move.

Re: WH Journal [Re: Wolverine Hunter] #6462919
02/16/19 12:52 AM
02/16/19 12:52 AM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

white17  Offline

W

McGrath, AK
Oh man Brian. Do you still have that picture ?? smile