Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Hot weather & more rain ! #6464414
02/17/19 01:04 PM
02/17/19 01:04 PM
South Alabama
B
Bayou Trapper Offline OP
trapper
Bayou Trapper  Offline OP
trapper
B

South Alabama
Well, I finally gave up and pulled my traps. I have been running 12 DP's, & 12 foot holds for the last 4 weekends on my buddies farm / hunting land. He wanted as many " predators / turkey egg eaters off his property as possible b4 turkey season. I would set em on Thursday and check them Friday, Saturday and Sunday. With all the rain and warm weather it's just hard for an " old timer" to stay motivated and keep fighting the mud! I have just not seen the coyote sign this year like last year. The land owner even put out 2 deer carcass's on the edge of a big hay patch and they haven't touched them. I guess the only thing that kept me going was i had started catching some nice coons in footholds In my coyote sets. Lot of coons were walking right by the DP's. And I started to see more fox sign. I actually made a couple of those sneaky fox my " main priority"! I switched out the 550's and scaled down to some smaller 1.5's duke and bridgers and made a good run at the end. Caught way more and bigger coons in the smaller footholds than I did in DP's. I wound up with 16 coons, 15 possums, 4 coyotes, 2 red fox and 2 greys. I believe if we had had some cooler temps I would have done lot better. Anyway, I guess the point I wanted to make was, out of the 16 coons i caught in the last 4 weekends, 5 were caught in DP's, 11 were in footholds. And the biggest coons were in footholds. Well, I took a few varmints off this small 120 acre track. Not what I was hoping for, but will try the coyotes again after turkey season. So there is my report from the " tropical rain forest "! "Bayou"

Re: Hot weather & more rain ! [Re: Bayou Trapper] #6464423
02/17/19 01:12 PM
02/17/19 01:12 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Sounds like a great catch!
We are forecasted some temps getting up to 80 this week and of course rain. I also have noticed coons and possums walking right past DP’s and getting caught in the footholds. Actually only caught 1 coon all year in a DP.

Re: Hot weather & more rain ! [Re: Wanna Be] #6464429
02/17/19 01:25 PM
02/17/19 01:25 PM
South Alabama
B
Bayou Trapper Offline OP
trapper
trapper
B

South Alabama
Yep, I got up this morning early and checked traps and when the mosquitoes started swarming I had decided that was enough! I've also killed 3 moccasins down off the side of the hills in the swampy areas. I guess I'm going to have to just spend a week in Wisconsin or Iowa next year so I can enjoy trapping in colder weather!

Last edited by Bayou Trapper; 02/17/19 06:52 PM.
Re: Hot weather & more rain ! [Re: Bayou Trapper] #6464442
02/17/19 01:40 PM
02/17/19 01:40 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
We wont have mosquitoes out for a while here,lol.March is a stormy snowy month here.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Boco; 02/17/19 02:06 PM.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Hot weather & more rain ! [Re: Boco] #6464742
02/17/19 06:08 PM
02/17/19 06:08 PM
South Alabama
B
Bayou Trapper Offline OP
trapper
trapper
B

South Alabama
Boco, now that's trapping weather! I think I'd trade mosquitoes for a little snow and grizzel bears any day of the week!

Re: Hot weather & more rain ! [Re: Bayou Trapper] #6464752
02/17/19 06:16 PM
02/17/19 06:16 PM
Georgia
G
GAJQ85 Offline
trapper
GAJQ85  Offline
trapper
G

Georgia
I’m still trying to catch a few more here is SE Georgia. The heat is really slowing it down though. I’ve been checking before light just so I don’t have to deal with sweating my tail off. I’ve got a few places that I’ve started walking to check because the ground is to muddy to get my truck in. Guess I’ll start planning for next season.

JQ
Re: Hot weather & more rain ! [Re: Bayou Trapper] #6464761
02/17/19 06:27 PM
02/17/19 06:27 PM
South Alabama
B
Bayou Trapper Offline OP
trapper
trapper
B

South Alabama
Cmobley, the state seems like they are starting to encourage and promote trapping and they are even putting on some seminars. I think the " high dollar leases / clubs", have proved how important it is to manage predators. No one coon hunts much any more. And coons can wipe out a turkey nest full of eggs in just a matter of minutes! And these guys paying $2000 plus a year for hunting club memberships are not going to shoot a coyote in fear of messing up a chance at a buck. So coyotes are not getting shot either! I could catch the slop out of coons w/ 160 boxes, but state law says 155's is all we can use. And most coons I fool with ain't going in a 155 body grip. The state also needs to re-visit liability for domestic catches. I quit trapping the delta area because of the dog hunters. If you accidentally catch one on public land the owner of said dog can prosecute for damages. That's why I stay on private property now. Anyway, didn't mean to get off track, but good luck w/ snaring law. I'd just like to see more young folks get involved in trapping and more awareness of how effective trapping can be to manage predators.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91