Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Wild River Trap Pans #6469123
02/21/19 06:32 PM
02/21/19 06:32 PM
Southern Nevada
C
cat_trapper_nv Offline OP
"Cat Master"
cat_trapper_nv  Offline OP
"Cat Master"
C

Southern Nevada
I'm starting fresh next season with smaller traps for bobcats. I'm going to be using all Bridger 1.65s and MB550s. Wild River Traps makes some pretty sweet expanded pans that work perfect for exposed cat sets. For the 1.65s I orders the replacement pans for the Duke 1.75. No welding needed. Just remove the stock pan and use the included hardware to attach the new pan. I still think Mike made them for the 1.65s because they fit and look way to good to be made for a different trap. (all pans painted with sand colored textured paint since most of my cat trapping locations are in sandy areas).
[Linked Image]

The pans made for the MB550 is not a replacement pan, but made to be welded on the stock pan. When the new MB550s came in the mail I just couldn't get myself to to weld on a trap that nice. I've also got messages from people on Instagram if there was a replacement pan for traps like the MB550 since most companies only have weld on pans. I decided to take a different approach to attaching the pans but using pop rivets. Haha it worked out way better then I thought.

First I drilled the holes where I wanted them in the Wild Rivers pan. Then I painted the pan.
[Linked Image]

Then I clamped the enlarged pan where I wanted it on the stock pan and drilled through the stock pan.
[Linked Image]

Next I added the pop rivets.
[Linked Image]

A final dip in Full Metal Jacket to help protect the trap from rust, and the paint from coming off the pan and I'm done. Takes less then a min per trap.
[Linked Image]

I was going to add 3 rivets, but after I put two on I twisted, and pulled, and yanked on the pan with no movement at all between the two pans. Way more solid then I thought. Sure its not going to be as strong as welding, but is a great option for those who don't have the skill or equipment to weld. I havent trapped with them yet so we will see what happens ext season. I figured the worse that could happen is I'll have to weld some pans on haha.

This season I got burned out hauling a few big traps up and down mountains, this are lighter and fit better in my backpack. I'm using these two traps because they are very similar. On all the trap supply websites they say that the bridger is 1/8 inche smaller in jaw spread, but side by side you can see its bigger. The MB is just wider. Two great options with polar opposite price brackets, with no welding required to make a cat catching machine
[Linked Image]

If traps work like the Antis say......I would have no fingers.

Re: Wild River Trap Pans [Re: cat_trapper_nv] #6469170
02/21/19 07:18 PM
02/21/19 07:18 PM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Offline
trapper
Posco  Offline
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
Nice looking work but I couldn't bring myself to do something to my 550s, they're a thing of beauty as they are, perfect in every way.

Re: Wild River Trap Pans [Re: Posco] #6469284
02/21/19 09:08 PM
02/21/19 09:08 PM
Southern Nevada
C
cat_trapper_nv Offline OP
"Cat Master"
cat_trapper_nv  Offline OP
"Cat Master"
C

Southern Nevada
If I was burying my traps then I would leave them stock. But with exposed traps sets, you want a big, inviting place for the cat to step.

If traps work like the Antis say......I would have no fingers.

Re: Wild River Trap Pans [Re: cat_trapper_nv] #6469382
02/21/19 10:40 PM
02/21/19 10:40 PM
Pomona, Ks
C
Cody Hendershot Offline
trapper
Cody Hendershot  Offline
trapper
C

Pomona, Ks
Im gonna try a similar approach with cats next season. I found these pans from "Expand a Pan" that I'm going to put on a half a doz traps and see if I like them.

[Linked Image]

Re: Wild River Trap Pans [Re: cat_trapper_nv] #6470443
02/22/19 10:25 PM
02/22/19 10:25 PM
NC
T
Tailhunter Offline
trapper
Tailhunter  Offline
trapper
T

NC
Everyone of my 550’s has a wild river trap pan welded to it.

They work great.

Re: Wild River Trap Pans [Re: cat_trapper_nv] #6472788
02/25/19 02:26 AM
02/25/19 02:26 AM
N.C MO
T
TONY.F Offline
trapper
TONY.F  Offline
trapper
T

N.C MO