ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Single vs double door [Re: Jonnytrapper] #6469520
02/22/19 04:54 AM
02/22/19 04:54 AM
North East Illinois
C
carlswildlife Offline
trapper
carlswildlife  Offline
trapper
C

North East Illinois
Reading all the posts I definitely have to agree half inch wire is definitely the way to go, you will have much happier customers. If you are fur trapping you can go with a cheaper trap as if you miss an animal from an escape it's not to bad. Losing an animal while doing ADC work however is a different story as you are being paid to capture ALL the problem animals and if you miss one with an escape it is going to be very tough to get it again. I prefer double ended traps as they can be used baited or as a positive set. I have been doing nuisance work for quite a while and have tried many traps. Wickencamps are good but they allow quite a bit of the outside brought into the inside due to the door format. I now use Comstock's and Williams traps both give me the best bang for my buck. If you only can afford a few of the Comstock's I would suggest the universal style as you would be able to use them for positive or baited sets. Helpful hint if you have skunks in your area always cover traps set on the ground, it makes your day go much quicker.

Re: Single vs double door [Re: carlswildlife] #6482173
03/05/19 10:52 PM
03/05/19 10:52 PM
WI - Wisconsin
A
AJE Offline
trapper
AJE  Offline
trapper
A

WI - Wisconsin
Originally Posted by carlswildlife
Helpful hint if you have skunks in your area always cover traps set on the ground, it makes your day go much quicker.

What do you guys use to cover the cages? Something natural like bark or pine boughs? A 'cover' also can help keep rain out of your bait, and can be used to cover bait so it isn't sight exposed.

Re: Single vs double door [Re: Jonnytrapper] #6482283
03/06/19 12:41 AM
03/06/19 12:41 AM
Mass
TDHP Offline
trapper
TDHP  Offline
trapper

Mass
Rubber does the trick, no problems trapping and removing while using it. Laun, paneling, the boxes that the cages come in work well for a while until the elements beat them up. When I cover a cage for a skunk it is to keep it calm and in the dark for what hopefully is a smooth removal.
[Linked Image]

Piece of bark or handful of debris will do the trick, I like to use rubber for a full or partial cover to keep the cages dry and provide a little shelter for the animal when it calls for weather, plenty of airflow to keep it cool even on hot sunny days with both ends open. When it comes to keeping bait/lure dry I like to use a piece of pvc cut on an angle that is suspended in the rear of the cage by wire that is not secure. It serves as an occupier and eye appeal as well.
[Linked Image]

Smile, you're an expert!
http://tdhpwildlifecontrol.webs.com/
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread