Lure and Bait Making

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Southern Snares
Please support our sponsor for the Lure and Bait makers forum - Southern Snares

Print Thread
Hop To
20 Gallons of Bobcat Meat #6472888
02/25/19 08:28 AM
02/25/19 08:28 AM
Misery
Michael Morris Offline OP
"Hombre que mata demasiadas cosas"
Michael Morris  Offline OP

Misery
I recently came into about 30 gallons of ground bobcat meat. I have been tainting it about 3-4 weeks and then adding different bait solutions, which works just fine, but the problem is that it won't be long and I will have tried all the solutions available and still have about 20 gallons of meat left over. So my question is this: What would you do with 20 gallons of bobcat meat, if bait solutions weren't an option? Complicated answers are fine, simple is preferred grin

Thanks!

Push yourself to be more than you were
Re: 20 Gallons of Bobcat Meat [Re: Michael Morris] #6473131
02/25/19 12:26 PM
02/25/19 12:26 PM
alabama
steeltraps Offline
trapper
steeltraps  Offline
trapper

alabama
Sell it? Put some SB in it .MB gets about 90 dollars a 5 gallon bucket. Plus shipping .

Re: 20 Gallons of Bobcat Meat [Re: Michael Morris] #6473305
02/25/19 03:33 PM
02/25/19 03:33 PM
Nevadafornia
L
Lazarus Offline
trapper
Lazarus  Offline
trapper
L

Nevadafornia
Fried bobcat meat . . . baked bobcat meat . . . bobcat meat cocktails . . . bobcat with potatoes . . . deep fried bobcat meat . . .

Re: 20 Gallons of Bobcat Meat [Re: Michael Morris] #6473311
02/25/19 03:35 PM
02/25/19 03:35 PM
Colorado
B
bacatrapper Offline
trapper
bacatrapper  Offline
trapper
B

Colorado
freeze it and use it later

thread killa
Re: 20 Gallons of Bobcat Meat [Re: Michael Morris] #6473340
02/25/19 04:20 PM
02/25/19 04:20 PM
MN
Y
yukonal Offline
trapper
yukonal  Offline
trapper
Y

MN
"Bought all I can give you is...bury a few garbage cans, and throw together 3 or 4 different recipes, leave 'em sit for a year, and try them.

Might come up with a really good one. I'm sure Tony has a few ideas.

Re: 20 Gallons of Bobcat Meat [Re: Michael Morris] #6473374
02/25/19 05:01 PM
02/25/19 05:01 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Y

Marion Kansas
Age until strong taint, drain off liquid (save liquid for lure ingredient) cover with cheap red wine, let set for 6 to 8 weeks drain liquid off and add very small amount of almond extract. Has a very distinct sweet/ sour odor to it. Worked well for me in testing and limited use on trap line. Or add 4 to 8 oz. Of one of really good lures out there to a gallon of it.

Last edited by Yes sir; 02/25/19 05:03 PM.
Re: 20 Gallons of Bobcat Meat [Re: bacatrapper] #6473945
02/26/19 08:25 AM
02/26/19 08:25 AM
Misery

Misery
Originally Posted by Lazarus
Fried bobcat meat . . . baked bobcat meat . . . bobcat meat cocktails . . . bobcat with potatoes . . . deep fried bobcat meat . . .

Lol you are no help BadgerRat!

Originally Posted by yukonal
"Bought all I can give you is...bury a few garbage cans, and throw together 3 or 4 different recipes, leave 'em sit for a year, and try them.

Might come up with a really good one. I'm sure Tony has a few ideas.

I was thinking of just tainting it all to varying degrees, then preserving it and just having it on hand in 5 gallon buckets.

Originally Posted by Yes sir
Age until strong taint, drain off liquid (save liquid for lure ingredient) cover with cheap red wine, let set for 6 to 8 weeks drain liquid off and add very small amount of almond extract. Has a very distinct sweet/ sour odor to it. Worked well for me in testing and limited use on trap line. Or add 4 to 8 oz. Of one of really good lures out there to a gallon of it.

Thank you Sir, I will try this with a portion of it laugh

Originally Posted by steeltraps
Sell it? Put some SB in it .MB gets about 90 dollars a 5 gallon bucket. Plus shipping .

Appreciate the response, was hoping more to using it vs selling it though smile

Originally Posted by bacatrapper
freeze it and use it later

Appreciate the response, but was hoping to clear up some freezer space.

Any one else willing to share some beginner bait recipes with newbie bait maker?

Re: 20 Gallons of Bobcat Meat [Re: Michael Morris] #6473954
02/26/19 08:49 AM
02/26/19 08:49 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
the biggest problem with bait making is finding quality ingredients. most of what gets sold is worthless junk. a lot of supply dealers have no idea whats in the jar they are selling you they have just bought something from a wholeseller. some of them don't care either. they know the trapper will just keep experimenting with their inferior products never realizing its junk. they start thinking lure and bait making is only for "experts" never realizing the stuff they bought was to blame for their failure.

don't use pressed fish oil. if it doesn't have a good strong fish odor don't waste your time
one of the biggest wholesellers advertises artificial coyote and bobcat urine for sale. guess what is in most of the jugs labeled coyote or bobcat urine?
tincture strength varies wildly. buy from the same guy once you find something that is working or make your own. tinctures are not difficult to make
only buy glands whole and frozen. if you buy, "properly ground and preserved" there is no way to know what is in the jar and it honestly could be anything.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: 20 Gallons of Bobcat Meat [Re: danny clifton] #6473992
02/26/19 09:45 AM
02/26/19 09:45 AM
Mass
TDHP Offline
trapper
TDHP  Offline
trapper

Mass
Originally Posted by danny clifton
the biggest problem with bait making is finding quality ingredients. most of what gets sold is worthless junk. a lot of supply dealers have no idea whats in the jar they are selling you they have just bought something from a wholeseller. some of them don't care either. they know the trapper will just keep experimenting with their inferior products never realizing its junk. they start thinking lure and bait making is only for "experts" never realizing the stuff they bought was to blame for their failure.

don't use pressed fish oil. if it doesn't have a good strong fish odor don't waste your time
one of the biggest wholesellers advertises artificial coyote and bobcat urine for sale. guess what is in most of the jugs labeled coyote or bobcat urine?
tincture strength varies wildly. buy from the same guy once you find something that is working or make your own. tinctures are not difficult to make
only buy glands whole and frozen. "if you buy properly ground and preserved" there is no way to know what is in the jar and it honestly could be anything.

True..and most don't care and will continue to go down the rabbit hole and waste $, time and effort...mind control is a sommbish.

Smile, you're an expert!
http://tdhpwildlifecontrol.webs.com/
Re: 20 Gallons of Bobcat Meat [Re: Michael Morris] #6476198
02/28/19 11:58 AM
02/28/19 11:58 AM
E central Il
G
Golf ball Offline
trapper
Golf ball  Offline
trapper
G

E central Il
Don’t taint all of that meat ! Try a batch with fresh meat and a few simple ingredients, bacon grease, molasses and canning salt. You will need something to keep it from molding if your not going to keep it frozen. I think you will be pleasantly surprised at the results !

P.s. A teaspoon of fresh ground garlic should also be included !

Re: 20 Gallons of Bobcat Meat [Re: Golf ball] #6476247
02/28/19 12:58 PM
02/28/19 12:58 PM
Misery

Misery
Originally Posted by Golf ball
Don’t taint all of that meat ! Try a batch with fresh meat and a few simple ingredients, bacon grease, molasses and canning salt. You will need something to keep it from molding if your not going to keep it frozen. I think you will be pleasantly surprised at the results !

P.s. A teaspoon of fresh ground garlic should also be included !

Appreciate it. I will try this grin

Re: 20 Gallons of Bobcat Meat [Re: Michael Morris] #6476255
02/28/19 01:06 PM
02/28/19 01:06 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
Finding and making good ingredients was one of the challenges when I began in this business years ago. That was one of the more difficult stages and a big learning curve of this business.

The product quality varied so much from different dealers and many as I was to learn years later had no idea what they were doing or how to properly prepare ingredients. If they would just have sold the materials as straight run material. Many seem the need to cut product too much.

There are tinctures galore being sold out there. Some have hardly any odor what so ever. When you don't know what good material is this can lead to very inconsistent to very poor to mediocre product results.

Artificial man made ingredients are replacing so much of the authentic materials More and more are becoming illegal to possess or afford, very expensive to buy good distilled materials, importation is becoming extremely expensive to purchase reasonably without buying in bulk to keep the pricing down a bit.

I have learned to work up and prepare as much in house use material as is possible. That is about the only way to control product consistency to a large degree. We rarely buy anything processed or pre ground from any trapper or supplier.

We work all of our own glands and bases from raw materials and many oil and water soluble ingredients. It is quite time consuming but necessary to ensure good quality control in your formulas for years to come.

It can be very difficult to maintain color, texture and exact odor from batch to batch. Organic materials only need to vary a little bit in age. How well you clean and prepare the raw materials can also change odor,consistency and color. Too much blood for example can drastically change final product odor and color. The increased bacteria count can over time enhance the aging of a product or slow things down which my not be the desired result. Lots of things to learn and understand.

Product stabilizers, thickeners and emulsifiers (surfactants) are needed at times to finish off a batch that comes out a bit different at times. These are basically neutral odor materials that don't have much to any affect upon the active properties of a formula.

Re: 20 Gallons of Bobcat Meat [Re: Michael Morris] #6477015
03/01/19 07:00 AM
03/01/19 07:00 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
Bob Jameson, when someone asks you whats in a jar you can tell them. That is all to often not true with others.

A big bunch of mail order folks don't have a clue or don't care or like you just wrote, dilute what they are selling till its useless. artificial urine sold as genuine, all kinds of stuff going on. it is definitely trapper beware out there.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: 20 Gallons of Bobcat Meat [Re: Michael Morris] #6477575
03/01/19 05:57 PM
03/01/19 05:57 PM
Central/Western Texas
AuthorTrapper Offline
trapper
AuthorTrapper  Offline
trapper

Central/Western Texas
You could make a bait with out adding bait solution. I've thought about making a bobcat meat based bait with:
1 gallon Bobcat Meat
8 oz. of Bobcat Glands
8 oz. of Bobcat Urine
Silver Vine (Not sure how much I'd use.)
I've never tried this and the amounts I mentioned might not be enough, or it might be too much! I've simply wanted to make a bait with those ingredients and try it out.

Re: 20 Gallons of Bobcat Meat [Re: Michael Morris] #6478804
03/02/19 09:08 PM
03/02/19 09:08 PM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
you were supposed to ask loved ones for several of the dozen bait making books/dvds for Christmas!

didn't you get the memo?

There are so many recipes/formulas in all 3 Nick Wyshinki books and Kellen Kaatz and Russ Carman, etc, etc. that there is hardly an end.

PLUS, the 14 pages from RiversNorth13.

Besides SB for preserving, you will probably need MP to retard mold......however, Pauls solution has plenty, but Marsyadas and Blackies and Bobs does not, for instance, and I don't know about Clints and Andy's and the other several solutions available.

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91