Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

ATS
(Please support Ted's Fur Shed, our sponsor for the Wilderness Page)

Alaska Trappers Association

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 18 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 17 18
Re: WH Journal [Re: Wolverine Hunter] #6477611
03/01/19 06:52 PM
03/01/19 06:52 PM
Orergon
A
alaska viking Offline
"Made it two years not being censored"
alaska viking  Offline
A

Orergon
That right there is a serious bit of good info.
Good hearing from you, nooksack.

Just doing what I want now.

Re: WH Journal [Re: nooksack] #6477615
03/01/19 06:59 PM
03/01/19 06:59 PM
Homer, Alaska, USA
W
Wolverine Hunter Offline OP
trapper
Wolverine Hunter  Offline OP
trapper
W

Homer, Alaska, USA
Originally Posted by nooksack
Those coyote tracks are teaching you something. My guess is that coyote did not like the sticks you added to that snare location. Minimal disturbance including human footprints is helpful. Snare the coyotes and you will learn much faster how to snare as they are a constant and not on a circuit like the wolves. If you can snare coyotes regularly you will also catch wolves.

So would you say in that situation don't put in anything to narrow it down? Just let it hang out in the open?

I've had some success snaring coyotes and bobcats back in MN. But the trails they use are smaller and more brushy. And, I have had some success guiding them with a stick or two. To be honest, I'm setting snares on wolf sign - usually places where they have been more than once - but I am having trouble just leaving that big loop there plain as can be. Something in me wants to guide them a bit, narrow the opening, or camouflage them a bit. Perhaps this is all wrong.

So do I just leave them out in the open? Or look for narrower spots and only trap there?

Last edited by Wolverine Hunter; 03/01/19 09:07 PM.
Re: WH Journal [Re: Wolverine Hunter] #6477668
03/01/19 07:56 PM
03/01/19 07:56 PM
Orergon
A
alaska viking Offline
alaska viking  Offline
A

Orergon
Just me: a coyote seems to notice the smallest change. Wolves, I don't know. Coyotes are ALWAYS suspicious. I trapped them hard when I was young, in central Oregon. After a couple of years defeating myself, I got better.
With canines, they know you are there, period. It's when they know you are up to no good that the challenges arise

Re: WH Journal [Re: Wolverine Hunter] #6477885
03/01/19 10:47 PM
03/01/19 10:47 PM
ak
nooksack Offline
trapper
nooksack  Offline
trapper

ak
Yes don't add anything so obvious. Subtle small branches or a small twigs etc. Look at the ground and see where a K9 will put his feet then center the loop above that. If you are snaring a bait a lot of the snares are just filling the gaps and will catch if animals are frantic as one of the leaders is caught so those don't need to be perfect.

Re: WH Journal [Re: Wolverine Hunter] #6479740
03/03/19 04:50 PM
03/03/19 04:50 PM
Homer, Alaska, USA
W
trapper
trapper
W

Homer, Alaska, USA
I had a really enjoyable day on the line yesterday. Went early, stayed late. I worked so intensely that I completely forgot to take photos to add, as I know they make the journal so much more interesting.

Essentially, I followed advice given by those who trap wolves on here. I had snares that were too close to the bait. I pulled 17 of them, and moved them further back. Most on trails 100 yards away or more. I had a half dozen other snares that I hung.

I also put in a half dozen foot hold traps. Two of them went in as "blind sets" in the thick spruce forest, on an open trail that the wolves have been using regularly when they come through. I put them in a place where they step over a log and keep putting their foot in the same place. I chopped out the frozen ground to make a trap bed, filled in with moss and dry leaves, and sprinkled in snow. I think it looked pretty good. Another one went in the open - in a spot where the wolves have been jumping over a small creek from the bank, to a big log, to the other side. There is a place where they put their feet regularly to "launch" themselves to the log. This one was tricky, and will be most susceptible to freeze up. The other three, I put in small creeks with running fresh water, with bait. These are in spots where thick spruce trees have fallen across, and I can force them a bit, naturally.

Two of the footholds are MB 750. I see mixed reviews on them. Some say they are a favorite. Others say the springs are not strong enough and they don't hold. I've never used them before - so I am testing. I got trap setters with mine, and they work great, but not on other brands. I also got two of the "NO BS" wolf traps based on recommendation from Alaska Viking. I had to set them the old fashioned way. And, I got two of the Alaska #9 from our old buddy JR. He has a video on his journal where he jumps up and lands on the trap to set it in his garage. I got a kick out of that. I do the same thing - except I get a run at it. Not really, but if I can get on some kind of a hump and be next to a good sized tree to steady myself, that definitely helps. Alaska #9 seems to have the most powerful springs as it was the hardest to set the first go around. That tells me something. Like anything, I will get better with practice. When I get the springs rotated, it helps to be able to shuffle my feet onto the jaws themselves, so that I can bend over and set the thing.

I don't think I've ever caught a canine in a foothold (I am more of a snare man), but I am ready to learn. So it will be fun when I do. Notice I said "when."

Other than that, I baited things up good. And, I adjusted all of the snares that I had out. Mostly for height, and I took out all of the blocking and forcing that I had done previously, and left them out in the open (even though it went against my instincts) - and simply centered them up above the wolf tracks and hopefully they take care of the rest!

Thanks to all for the tips and the PM's. Since my line is strictly in one spot now, and since I spent so much time there yesterday - I am going to let it soak now for awhile. Send some good vibes to "my wolves" - that they come through before my next check, and that I can score before March is done!

Re: WH Journal [Re: Wolverine Hunter] #6479750
03/03/19 04:57 PM
03/03/19 04:57 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
white17  Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
W

McGrath, AK
Just a thought..........not sure how you are doing this but I have ALWAYS found that canines where I have trapped are very skittish if you walk in their trail. I always set my snares from the side.

Mean As Nails
Re: WH Journal [Re: white17] #6479757
03/03/19 05:06 PM
03/03/19 05:06 PM
Homer, Alaska, USA
W
trapper
trapper
W

Homer, Alaska, USA
Originally Posted by white17
Just a thought..........not sure how you are doing this but I have ALWAYS found that canines where I have trapped are very skittish if you walk in their trail. I always set my snares from the side.

I am doing that as much as I can - but sometimes, the trail is not so obvious because the snow has melted. Also, I am canvasing an area the size of three or four football fields, so hard to see how I can go in and do that without some impact. Everything I do is on foot. There is no people trail to work from. No ATV or snowmobile.

Hopefully the scent decreases with time, and better yet, we get a little snow to cover things up a bit. If I can just hook one, I think the rest will mill around. But there is one lone wolf that is hanging around the most - and he is the one I am really hoping to get. I spent a ton of time tracking him yesterday, trying to figure out what he does, and where.

I guess I did take one photo yesterday. This is an example of what he does, and where. One set of tracks. I set on some of these, but I tried to actually set where he had been two or three times. I have several of them that I am pretty excited about.

This was him going through once, in a spot about 200 yards from the bait. Seemed like a good natural spot for a snare. If he uses that trail again, he's toast (I hope)!

[Linked Image]

Re: WH Journal [Re: Wolverine Hunter] #6479898
03/03/19 07:54 PM
03/03/19 07:54 PM
Orergon
A
alaska viking Offline
alaska viking  Offline
A

Orergon
Just to be clear, I have zero experience with the NO BS wolf traps. Just the canine extremes, for wolverine, and am a big fan.
For wolf traps, I defer to others.

Re: WH Journal [Re: Wolverine Hunter] #6479925
03/03/19 08:22 PM
03/03/19 08:22 PM
49th State
M
mad_mike Offline
trapper
mad_mike  Offline
trapper
M

49th State
From my experience the #9 is king. The Koro wolf trap is second. My third choice is SC 4.5 which I use primarily in sets that will have salt water on them.
Size does matter as does,spring strength. The #9 is more resistant to freezing down than the Koro. Without having handled a No BS Wolf trap I can only compare them to the K9 Extreme. Every dogless trap seems to be more prone to being frozen down than a trap using a pan and dog.

Re: WH Journal [Re: Wolverine Hunter] #6480026
03/03/19 10:14 PM
03/03/19 10:14 PM
49th State
M
mad_mike Offline
trapper
mad_mike  Offline
trapper
M

49th State
Originally Posted by Wolverine Hunter
Originally Posted by white17

I am doing that as much as I can - but sometimes, the trail is not so obvious because the snow has melted. Also, I am canvasing an area the size of three or four football fields, so hard to see how I can go in and do that without some impact. Everything I do is on foot. There is no people trail to work from. No ATV or snowmobile.

Hopefully the scent decreases with time, and better yet, we get a little snow to cover things up a bit. If I can just hook one, I think the rest will mill around. But there is one lone wolf that is hanging around the most - and he is the one I am really hoping to get. I spent a ton of time tracking him yesterday, trying to figure out what he does, and where.

I guess I did take one photo yesterday. This is an example of what he does, and where. One set of tracks. I set on some of these, but I tried to actually set where he had been two or three times. I have several of them that I am pretty excited about.

This was him going through once, in a spot about 200 yards from the bait. Seemed like a good natural spot for a snare. If he uses that trail again, he's toast (I hope)!

[Linked Image]

How high is the bottom of your loop there? From that picture, using the alder sprigs as a gauge, it looks to be 4-8” off of the snow.

Re: WH Journal [Re: Wolverine Hunter] #6480088
03/03/19 11:26 PM
03/03/19 11:26 PM
Orergon
A
alaska viking Offline
alaska viking  Offline
A

Orergon
WH. Um,..... re:do. Wolves=knee-high to the BOTTON of the loop.
Some places just can't be set, perfectly.
If you can't do it perfect for canines, din't do it.
I suffer this situation.

Re: WH Journal [Re: Wolverine Hunter] #6480103
03/03/19 11:46 PM
03/03/19 11:46 PM
Homer, Alaska, USA
W
trapper
trapper
W

Homer, Alaska, USA
Relax guys. It's higher than it looks. In the photo, I am looking down on it. I'm setting them knee high. Sometimes slightly less depending on where they are putting their feet.

There's no way I would put one 4-8 inches off the ground! I don't even do that for coyote or bobcat.

Re: WH Journal [Re: Wolverine Hunter] #6480141
03/04/19 12:30 AM
03/04/19 12:30 AM
49th State
M
mad_mike Offline
trapper
mad_mike  Offline
trapper
M

49th State
Good luck

Last edited by mad_mike; 03/04/19 12:35 AM.
Re: WH Journal [Re: Wolverine Hunter] #6480180
03/04/19 02:18 AM
03/04/19 02:18 AM
Interior Alaska
smalltimetrapper Offline
small greenhorn
smalltimetrapper  Offline
small greenhorn

Interior Alaska
See photo of MB750. I was slumming one of them at a set, when I pulled some stuff yesterday it was frozen down hard. You can see the trigger and jaw "arms" disengaged and the trap not firing. Took a bit of a jolt to fire it. Would have been a definite miss on a wolf. When they work they are great, plenty strong to hold a wolf and more gentle than a 9. But when they don't work they really irritate you.

[Linked Image]

Re: WH Journal [Re: alaska viking] #6480503
03/04/19 01:39 PM
03/04/19 01:39 PM
Homer, Alaska, USA
W
trapper
trapper
W

Homer, Alaska, USA
Originally Posted by alaska viking
Just to be clear, I have zero experience with the NO BS wolf traps. Just the canine extremes, for wolverine, and am a big fan.
For wolf traps, I defer to others.

I'm giving them a test! I have one in the spruce forest and one in the open snow. I didn't bury either in snow so they should work if given the chance. Its a big-(This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) trap!

Re: WH Journal [Re: mad_mike] #6480505
03/04/19 01:41 PM
03/04/19 01:41 PM
Homer, Alaska, USA
W
trapper
trapper
W

Homer, Alaska, USA
Originally Posted by mad_mike
From my experience the #9 is king. The Koro wolf trap is second. My third choice is SC 4.5 which I use primarily in sets that will have salt water on them.
Size does matter as does,spring strength. The #9 is more resistant to freezing down than the Koro. Without having handled a No BS Wolf trap I can only compare them to the K9 Extreme. Every dogless trap seems to be more prone to being frozen down than a trap using a pan and dog.

What is SC?

Re: WH Journal [Re: smalltimetrapper] #6480508
03/04/19 01:43 PM
03/04/19 01:43 PM
Homer, Alaska, USA
W
trapper
trapper
W

Homer, Alaska, USA
Originally Posted by smalltimetrapper
See photo of MB750. I was slumming one of them at a set, when I pulled some stuff yesterday it was frozen down hard. You can see the trigger and jaw "arms" disengaged and the trap not firing. Took a bit of a jolt to fire it. Would have been a definite miss on a wolf. When they work they are great, plenty strong to hold a wolf and more gentle than a 9. But when they don't work they really irritate you.

[Linked Image]

I have two of these. They are in the water where I know they will stay working. Its an experiment...

Re: WH Journal [Re: Wolverine Hunter] #6480539
03/04/19 02:19 PM
03/04/19 02:19 PM
Fairbanks AK
Aknative Offline
trapper
Aknative  Offline
trapper

Fairbanks AK
Sleep Creek traps. They seem like good beefy traps.

Rumors of my assimilation have been greatly exaggerated.
Re: WH Journal [Re: Aknative] #6480653
03/04/19 04:38 PM
03/04/19 04:38 PM
Homer, Alaska, USA
W
trapper
trapper
W

Homer, Alaska, USA
Originally Posted by Aknative
Sleep Creek traps. They seem like good beefy traps.

Never heard of. Will have to check that out. Thanks.

Re: WH Journal [Re: Wolverine Hunter] #6480657
03/04/19 04:40 PM
03/04/19 04:40 PM
Homer, Alaska, USA
W
trapper
trapper
W

Homer, Alaska, USA
Ok. I'm letting traps soak. I've got the day off mostly. Bored and need something to do.

All this talk of gun control has me feeling rebellious. Kind of a "shove it" moment, actually. Think I will team up with Family Trapper and go buy a gun!!!

I can think of a few I NEED. A multitude that I WANT. I'm gonna go and see how it shakes out....

We will see how "purchase friendly" Alaska is. I've never purchased here before. laugh

Last edited by Wolverine Hunter; 03/04/19 04:42 PM.
Page 10 of 18 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 17 18
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  akntrpr, Ol' Blister, otterman