ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Snares vs Body grips #6497690
03/22/19 08:31 AM
03/22/19 08:31 AM
Alabama
T
Tsouth87 Offline OP
trapper
Tsouth87  Offline OP
trapper
T

Alabama
Which do you use and why?

Re: Snares vs Body grips [Re: Tsouth87] #6497738
03/22/19 09:28 AM
03/22/19 09:28 AM
WI - Wisconsin
A
AJE Offline
trapper
AJE  Offline
trapper
A

WI - Wisconsin
I use both. I prefer both over footholds. For h20 trapping.

A lot of my spots don't have enough h20 depth for a snare to work for a 4 day check, so I use BG's more.

Last edited by AJE; 03/22/19 09:30 AM.
Re: Snares vs Body grips [Re: Tsouth87] #6501373
03/26/19 06:30 AM
03/26/19 06:30 AM
orange co, nc
B
brisket Offline
trapper
brisket  Offline
trapper
B

orange co, nc
I use both. All the 330's get set totally submerged for several reasons, 1- i get a 72 hour check like that,2- keeps the non targets out, like coon,3- people generally don' walk in beaver channels.
The bad thing about them in the warm weather is the turtles and the otter. You can put an extra trigger on and push them both to the side, this will save this will save alot of water wolves, can't keep the snappers out of them though.

Snare's are my number one damage control beaver tool. I can set them in dry land trails or in the water. Beaver usually don't mind seeing them and one bucket will hold enough traps and wire to set dozens of locations. bad thing is you will have live critters waiting on you in the morning, something to think about

Having said all of that I use footholds when I really need to get that spooky one.

Re: Snares vs Body grips [Re: brisket] #6501507
03/26/19 09:44 AM
03/26/19 09:44 AM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
Originally Posted by brisket
bad thing is you will have live critters waiting on you in the morning, .

Not if ya run a short snare and run it down a drowning rod Kenton!...didn't I teach you that at my seminar?.........hmmm.

S87, they both have places on everyone's line...since situations change from location to location.
I like snares hung on standing timber, leaning pole sets, and floating logs. They are away from folks and their pets, doing jobs in HOA's especially.
330's are great in runs
But like Brisket, I like footholds on drowning rods a lot, especially at dam break sets, pull outs, crossovers, and slides.

The BEST money I ever spent was on Pauls video Beaver Sites and Sets. It basically launched my ADC biz and shortened my learning curve by decades.
Ask for it for your Birthday or Anniversary or Mem Day gift !

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Re: Snares vs Body grips [Re: traprjohn] #6501597
03/26/19 11:26 AM
03/26/19 11:26 AM
Alabama
T
Tsouth87 Offline OP
trapper
Tsouth87  Offline OP
trapper
T

Alabama
Awesome advice. I really appreciate it. I caught two beavers last summer on dam crossovers in duke #2s that I got at the local feed mill here. Since then I have got an itch that I can’t scratch. Trapping has gotten under my skin, and I’m hoping to find some nucance beaver work around here. Again thanks for your comments and to the admin to keep this site going!!!

Re: Snares vs Body grips [Re: Tsouth87] #6519230
04/15/19 10:16 PM
04/15/19 10:16 PM
Monroeville NJ
J
Jonesie Offline
trapper
Jonesie  Offline
trapper
J

Monroeville NJ
I catch more in cable than killers in water. can't use foot traps or killers on land, so all I have is cable. using cable for so long it is my first choice even when I can set killers or foot.

Ron Jones
http://www.acpwildlifepro.net/
Rednecks Pride Game Calls / Outdoor Scents
Rednecks Pride Outdoors podcast
Friend me on FaceBook
Re: Snares vs Body grips [Re: Tsouth87] #6531307
05/04/19 10:27 AM
05/04/19 10:27 AM
Louisiana
Aix sponsa Offline
trapper
Aix sponsa  Offline
trapper

Louisiana
Depending on regulations and situations, there’s a time and place for all types of legal traps (or snares).

The advantages of bodygrips are well known, but I’ll give some examples of snare advantages...

Lighter. Carry more, carry em farther. Even if I’m not planning on setting snares, I still keep 1-2 coiled up and clipped onto my beaver bag—-just in case.

Cheaper = more sets for same money; less appealing to sneakums, less lost if stolen/vandalized.

Safer than BGs around people and pets

Can be made at home or even in the field without having to wait for an order of BGs to arrive.

Both BGs and snares can be used for most sets interchangeably, but there are some sets that can be made with a snare that can’t easily be made BG. (Torpedo, Beaver Snare KP, floating log, etc)

Can be set to be a restraining set, rather than only a lethal set. I’ve made lethal snare sets in water that was too shallow for reliable foothold lethal sets.

A miss with a snare tends to be a -less traumatic experience than with a BG, and that translates into getting 2nd chance vs set avoidance from a 330 firing and startling or making a poor catch that they’re able to escape from...

Less noticeable; many educated beavers all over the country have been put away by carefully placed snares. .

Snares can be made to be more or less sensitive on site by adjusting lock position.

Snares can be shaped by loading. Especially 1x19 cable.

Snares can also serve as extension cables if you’re in a pinch. The lock end becomes an adjustable loop.

Re: Snares vs Body grips [Re: Aix sponsa] #6531702
05/05/19 12:28 AM
05/05/19 12:28 AM
Lakes Region Indiana
L
loosanarrow Offline
trapper
loosanarrow  Offline
trapper
L

Lakes Region Indiana
Originally Posted by Aix sponsa
Depending on regulations and situations, there’s a time and place for all types of legal traps (or snares).

The advantages of bodygrips are well known, but I’ll give some examples of snare advantages...

Lighter. Carry more, carry em farther. Even if I’m not planning on setting snares, I still keep 1-2 coiled up and clipped onto my beaver bag—-just in case.

Cheaper = more sets for same money; less appealing to sneakums, less lost if stolen/vandalized.

Safer than BGs around people and pets

Can be made at home or even in the field without having to wait for an order of BGs to arrive.

Both BGs and snares can be used for most sets interchangeably, but there are some sets that can be made with a snare that can’t easily be made BG. (Torpedo, Beaver Snare KP, floating log, etc)

Can be set to be a restraining set, rather than only a lethal set. I’ve made lethal snare sets in water that was too shallow for reliable foothold lethal sets.

A miss with a snare tends to be a -less traumatic experience than with a BG, and that translates into getting 2nd chance vs set avoidance from a 330 firing and startling or making a poor catch that they’re able to escape from...

Less noticeable; many educated beavers all over the country have been put away by carefully placed snares. .

Snares can be made to be more or less sensitive on site by adjusting lock position.

Snares can be shaped by loading. Especially 1x19 cable.

Snares can also serve as extension cables if you’re in a pinch. The lock end becomes an adjustable loop.

You just keep adding to that list don’t you? You might throw in “easier to set species specific for certain animals in certain situations”. I can set a snare so raccoons will parade through all night long and rarely be caught, but every beaver that goes through is caught. With a 220, our largest legal size not fully submerged, I haven’t found a trigger configuration that will accomplish that as well as a properly set snare.

Website www.mgnbd.com
Re: Snares vs Body grips [Re: Tsouth87] #6531822
05/05/19 09:08 AM
05/05/19 09:08 AM
Louisiana
Aix sponsa Offline
trapper
Aix sponsa  Offline
trapper

Louisiana
Yes, the list keeps getting longer. Species specific by adjusting loop size is another one, good call.

I’ll also add that release ferrules and breakaways can be helpful in some situations as they allow larger non targets to break free.

Re: Snares vs Body grips [Re: Aix sponsa] #6583002
07/28/19 02:21 PM
07/28/19 02:21 PM
WI - Wisconsin
A
AJE Offline
trapper
AJE  Offline
trapper
A

WI - Wisconsin
I’ve made lethal snare sets in water that was too shallow for reliable foothold lethal sets.

For beaver?

Re: Snares vs Body grips [Re: AJE] #6583088
07/28/19 05:31 PM
07/28/19 05:31 PM
Louisiana
Aix sponsa Offline
trapper
Aix sponsa  Offline
trapper

Louisiana
Originally Posted by AJE
I’ve made lethal snare sets in water that was too shallow for reliable foothold lethal sets.

For beaver?

Yes

Properly constructed and used snare KPs are deadly.

My experience has been that a well loaded 1x19 loop, set between 1/2 and 1/3 submerged when beavers are swimming is a good way to increase the odds of neck catches. Even seatbelt catches are good. I’d rather snare a beaver than foothold them anyway.

Re: Snares vs Body grips [Re: Tsouth87] #6583158
07/28/19 07:25 PM
07/28/19 07:25 PM
WI - Wisconsin
A
AJE Offline
trapper
AJE  Offline
trapper
A

WI - Wisconsin

For beaver?

Yes
Properly constructed and used snare KPs are deadly.
[/quote]]

Sounds good. If anyone cares to share such a setup with me, PM me. Thanks

Last edited by AJE; 07/28/19 07:26 PM.
Re: Snares vs Body grips [Re: Tsouth87] #6583472
07/29/19 09:19 AM
07/29/19 09:19 AM
Illinois
R
ratbrain Offline
trapper
ratbrain  Offline
trapper
R

Illinois
Snares for me. Although I will use all 3 (bodygrip, foothold, snare)

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread