Lure and Bait Making

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Southern Snares
Please support our sponsor for the Lure and Bait makers forum - Southern Snares

Print Thread
Hop To
Bill nelson bait formula #6501771
03/26/19 01:53 PM
03/26/19 01:53 PM
NORTH CAROLINA
Trapper73 Offline OP
trapper
Trapper73  Offline OP
trapper

NORTH CAROLINA
I was going to try and play around with one of Bill Nelson formula fir bait solution.
Is it another copy or one on here somewhere or a link someone can send.
Like to ply around with it.
One version say 1oz. Of zinc valerian and the other say 1 oz. Valerian
One is a perserative and the other a oil.
In one formulation why would you want sodium benzoate and zinc valerian in one.
Should it be just valerian.
Thanks for your help..

Last edited by Trapper73; 03/26/19 01:54 PM.
Re: Bill nelson bait formula [Re: Trapper73] #6501803
03/26/19 02:51 PM
03/26/19 02:51 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
Zinc valerate is a high grade low volume preservative compared to S. B. and a bit more costly to use by most consumers. It must be volumized into a slurry to make enough good contact with the material you are wishing to preserve.

Valerian root extract or powder is the other material I believe that you are referencing. It is an ingredient not a preservative.

Sodium benzoate is a preservative as is zinc valerate. Zinc Valerate will help stimulate and boost lure and bait odors in a formula while aging. It is often used specifically by some to stimulate glandular odors in a formula as well.

Re: Bill nelson bait formula [Re: Trapper73] #6501805
03/26/19 02:52 PM
03/26/19 02:52 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Y

Marion Kansas
I'm just a beginner at this stuff so hopefully a more experienced person will follow up with more information but I will use zinc valerate in locking the odors of glands in a formulation especially mink glands if that helps shine some light on the situation.

There's you man, Bob you posted while I was typing .

Last edited by Yes sir; 03/26/19 02:54 PM.
Re: Bill nelson bait formula [Re: Trapper73] #6501809
03/26/19 02:53 PM
03/26/19 02:53 PM
NORTH CAROLINA
Trapper73 Offline OP
trapper
Trapper73  Offline OP
trapper

NORTH CAROLINA
Ok it must be zinc valerate then instead of valerian.
Thanks

Re: Bill nelson bait formula [Re: Trapper73] #6501962
03/26/19 06:23 PM
03/26/19 06:23 PM
Indiana
L
lureintheanimal Offline
trapper
lureintheanimal  Offline
trapper
L

Indiana
BACK IN THE 'OLD DAYS late 1800's, 1900 , 1910's, 1920's, 1930's ,1940's THERE WAS A ZINC VALERIAN MADE . Zinc Valerate IS a completely different substance , and it's Grade is much less than even 20 years ago , it's ingredients are totally differently structured .
Today 2019 , it's Not been made , because FDA & EPA banned the substance along with a thousand x others long long ago , just like other substances, such as REAL Musk Ambrette , Musk Xylol, Musk Tibetene and others xxxxxx ..... , today , 40, 50 years ago some items were grocery store items , NOT today or NOT FOR 50 YEARS , I asked my eldest brother long ago about some of this 'Old Old Time substances .

Mr. Trapper Bill Nelson, Farmington , Iowa , Sold his Lure formulas on the market after WWII ended in 1945 , with the Atomic Bombing of Japan , Mr. Trapper Bill Nelson run Ads in FUR FISH GAME and local and other publications and some Fish Magazines for his famous Fish Lure during late 1946 up till 1949 (then he pulled them) .
In Ads placed in magazines he charged the cost of $2.00 for so many and $4.00 for ALL the Lure formulas , but $2.00 & $4.00 Was ALOT of money during that Era , people WERE different , It wasn't considered a Black Art (hush hush) Until about 1970 , because The Fur Boom brought on secrecy in the Lure trade , Mr. Nick Wyshinski can attest to this fact , Nick supplied ALOT of dealers back then , I believe Nick is still living, NOT well At All , but alive , Ask Nick , he would love to have an Old Time Chat , he gets bored just like anyone up in years or retired .

Last edited by lureintheanimal; 03/26/19 07:08 PM.

vis vitalis
Re: Bill nelson bait formula [Re: Trapper73] #6502168
03/26/19 09:54 PM
03/26/19 09:54 PM
NORTH CAROLINA
Trapper73 Offline OP
trapper
Trapper73  Offline OP
trapper

NORTH CAROLINA
Ok
Thanks is it anything close to that ingredient.
Zinc valerian.
Thanks

Re: Bill nelson bait formula [Re: Trapper73] #6502322
03/27/19 12:57 AM
03/27/19 12:57 AM
Indiana
L
lureintheanimal Offline
trapper
lureintheanimal  Offline
trapper
L

Indiana
Originally Posted by Trapper73
Ok
Thanks is it anything close to that ingredient.
Zinc valerian.
Thanks

FREE knowledge , WoW'za , lol

2 words Not always a Simple Answer ! (kind of like ( I Do ) !

they are different products ,

The Zinc valerian that calls in the Bait formulae was a product made during the Era I posted , (Is a Up'ed Preservative that Works with Sodium Benzoate at the high side and the 2 Did Not fight each other and Zinc valerian was a bit better preservative) in Simple terms !

(Babst) (A preservative) from Long ago , is No longer Sold Anywhere banned from use , many many years ago .

You have seen on an Old Old paper of what appears to be Mr. Trapper Bill Nelson Signature on , It is a (Copy) (How Many Copies??) Unknown?) of a Really Old Old paper and parts of his signature is not Clear , most likely technology / lighting etc. at the Era of Picture taking (possibly Bill took that Picture back in late 1968 to 1970) , , it was a Very Very low grade black & white (1) shot camera, (possibly) a Very Very low grade Old Timey color (1) shot camera from back in the days when folks took there camera film into a photographer shop to have there film developed in a Black Room , then days later maybe a week or 2 folks would go pick there pictures up , Drug Stores did most of the public, Unless you needed a Professional Job done , like you "Got Married" , lol , , , But I would say that it Is Mr. Trapper Bill Nelson Signature , with technology defects / lighting and angle and at Very low low resolution and close range shot (it Dropped ) . Not counting the million times it was photo Copied with ALL kinds of low grade techy hardware over the years .

Zinc Valarate , is used as advised , but has different chemical make-up in a Lab , basically under hood and vent with valeric acid and zinc hydrate or others , IF you have ever smelled Pure Valeric Acid 98%+ you would burn your Brain to fry Heaven ........................................you may end up worse than Ozzy Osbourne , maybe worse .

Last edited by lureintheanimal; 03/27/19 01:46 AM.

vis vitalis
Re: Bill nelson bait formula [Re: Trapper73] #6502373
03/27/19 06:52 AM
03/27/19 06:52 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
you can still get valeric acid. 99% at sigma Aldrich

I use valerian root powder a lot. just mix it in as is. try a pinch on a house cat. if it eats it rubs on it and purrs and keeps sniffing and rubbing you have the right stuff. should keep the cat there about ten minutes.

k9's don't get as excited about it as cats do but they like to sniff and maybe have a lick. they usually want to pee next.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Bill nelson bait formula [Re: lureintheanimal] #6502382
03/27/19 07:11 AM
03/27/19 07:11 AM
Goldsboro, North Carolina
Paul Dobbins Offline
"Trapperman custodian"
Paul Dobbins  Offline
"Trapperman custodian"

Originally Posted by lureintheanimal

You have seen on an Old Old paper of what appears to be Mr. Trapper Bill Nelson Signature on , It is a (Copy) (How Many Copies??) Unknown?) of a Really Old Old paper and parts of his signature is not Clear , most likely technology / lighting etc. at the Era of Picture taking (possibly Bill took that Picture back in late 1968 to 1970) , , it was a Very Very low grade black & white (1) shot camera, (possibly) a Very Very low grade Old Timey color (1) shot camera from back in the days when folks took there camera film into a photographer shop to have there film developed in a Black Room , then days later maybe a week or 2 folks would go pick there pictures up , Drug Stores did most of the public, Unless you needed a Professional Job done , like you "Got Married" , lol , , , But I would say that it Is Mr. Trapper Bill Nelson Signature ,

This is off the topiic. I have a letter Mr. Nelson wrote to dad, but he signed it with only his first name. You might compare the first name signatures.

[Linked Image]

Re: Bill nelson bait formula [Re: danny clifton] #6502784
03/27/19 05:28 PM
03/27/19 05:28 PM
Indiana
L
lureintheanimal Offline
trapper
lureintheanimal  Offline
trapper
L

Indiana
Originally Posted by danny clifton
you can still get valeric acid. 99% at sigma Aldrich

I use valerian root powder a lot. just mix it in as is. try a pinch on a house cat. if it eats it rubs on it and purrs and keeps sniffing and rubbing you have the right stuff. should keep the cat there about ten minutes.

k9's don't get as excited about it as cats do but they like to sniff and maybe have a lick. they usually want to pee next.

Yes, you can , get a permit or be a Business or some other places , I have a bit of 99% valeric acid , Gooood Stuff , you can purchase chemicals, just must have the proper permits or license if a business or on Auction , but Always lower Grade Material.

Last edited by lureintheanimal; 03/27/19 06:45 PM.

vis vitalis
Re: Bill nelson bait formula [Re: Paul Dobbins] #6502807
03/27/19 05:57 PM
03/27/19 05:57 PM
Indiana
L
lureintheanimal Offline
trapper
lureintheanimal  Offline
trapper
L

Indiana
Originally Posted by Paul Dobbins
Originally Posted by lureintheanimal

You have seen on an Old Old paper of what appears to be Mr. Trapper Bill Nelson Signature on , It is a (Copy) (How Many Copies??) Unknown?) of a Really Old Old paper and parts of his signature is not Clear , most likely technology / lighting etc. at the Era of Picture taking (possibly Bill took that Picture back in late 1968 to 1970) , , it was a Very Very low grade black & white (1) shot camera, (possibly) a Very Very low grade Old Timey color (1) shot camera from back in the days when folks took there camera film into a photographer shop to have there film developed in a Black Room , then days later maybe a week or 2 folks would go pick there pictures up , Drug Stores did most of the public, Unless you needed a Professional Job done , like you "Got Married" , lol , , , But I would say that it Is Mr. Trapper Bill Nelson Signature ,

This is off the topiic. I have a letter Mr. Nelson wrote to dad, but he signed it with only his first name. You might compare the first name signatures.

[Linked Image]

YES Sir Mr. Paul thank ya', Your Father Was A Good Man , that one IS 'Ole Timey , (The Signature IS Trapper Bill Nelson) the flash from the 'Old Time camera, seemed to knock out just A tad of Bill's Full Legal Hand Signature) Or Bill May have just Signed that way on that day or night , most likely Night , because he says in his Typing, that he's tired , Yours is (1) version of an Old paper I am talking about , But there is (1) other paper floating around that most likely Trapper Bill Nelson himself took a Camera waaay back and took a snap shot of it sitting Up at his Desk (Very Close Range) Low Resolution ,, Bill was Addressing (Bob) (NO NOT Jameson , lol ,) in this close range 'OLD Time Camera shot picture , on the left side you can see the Corner of an Old Time Desk (light in Stain maybe Maple stain) and other papers laying on the his Desk in the background ,( Bill's Desk is similar to the Desk I am sitting at right now, except mine is Walnut and the Top is slick as glass built in 1950's, I think , gotta look at the Ink Stamp they put on them back in the day) You know What I am talking about Mr. Paul ) , I Am looking at the paper right here in my hands , lol , In the Close Up

I know most folks will Sign papers 50+ different ways at different times and it Depends on How Serious The Signature is , Like If I am Signing My Last Will and Testament in a Lawyers Office with (5) Witnesses around , , My Signature IS going to Be My Full Real Legal Hand Signature .
But if I am just Signing a Card a Book or something , My Hand Signature WILL NOT BE My Full Legal Hand Signature , The Format WILL Be Different .
And I believe ALL folks are like that .

Last edited by lureintheanimal; 03/27/19 06:28 PM.

vis vitalis
Re: Bill nelson bait formula [Re: Trapper73] #6502883
03/27/19 07:38 PM
03/27/19 07:38 PM
Paul Dobbins Offline
"Trapperman custodian"
Paul Dobbins  Offline
"Trapperman custodian"

Old indeed, the letter is dated 1/27/55, back before they had zip codes. This is the return address on the envelope the letter came in. Combination of printed and cursive writing.

[Linked Image]

Re: Bill nelson bait formula [Re: Paul Dobbins] #6502928
03/27/19 08:15 PM
03/27/19 08:15 PM
Indiana
L
lureintheanimal Offline
trapper
lureintheanimal  Offline
trapper
L

Indiana
Old indeed, the letter is dated 1/27/55, back before they had zip codes. This is the return address on the envelope the letter came in. Combination of printed and cursive writing.

[Linked Image]

Thank You Mr. Paul , Thank ya' , just another way Bill marked his name, but the last one there looks like another person signed it, it o\is more obvious than the one above . Yes, they did everything Simple back in the Days, You Know Mr. Paul , I remember living out on The R.R. , and they would just place the Name, R. R. and Town and State on post cards , letters , ect. You remember Mr. Paul , alot of folks wrote just like that , cursive mixed with hand print . Them GOOD 'Ole 'Old Days long long long ago past , Great Memories Indeed ,
I was looking at some Old Old Court Birth Records the year was 1900, 1901 up , and the Old Court House Health Department , would put Only The Sir Name on the birth records (NO Mother Name was placed) , , example , Alan Johnson a Boy or another I seen Herbert Allen with all 7 of his children in (1) Box entry , The Oldest being at the top of the box entry , Amazing . People knew Everybody locally back then , today you don't have a clue Who is Shipping Wool a tah' , We as kids listened to Hank Williams Senior ALL his Great Ole tunes growing up , and other Good ' Un's .
If Only younger folks would respect their elders today , this world would be a better place , like then NO Doubt about that today .

Amazing This fast paced computer world has changed EVERYTHING FOREVER ,Only the folks still living today that were there know today .
I know of a hand writing expert at the Court House that I could Employ to have attest to the If this was/ Is Bill's Signature , gonna cost me more than nickle though , lol

Last edited by lureintheanimal; 04/01/19 11:06 AM.

vis vitalis
Re: Bill nelson bait formula [Re: Trapper73] #6502976
03/27/19 08:53 PM
03/27/19 08:53 PM
Paul Dobbins Offline
"Trapperman custodian"
Paul Dobbins  Offline
"Trapperman custodian"

I have other signatures of Mr. Nelson. Back in 1946 he sold his stuff units. Unit Number One for The Fox and the Predator Trapper, Unit Number Two for the Water Trapper and Unit Number Three was for the Alpine and Northland Trapper. Wonderful stuff to read through.

Re: Bill nelson bait formula [Re: Paul Dobbins] #6502984
03/27/19 09:04 PM
03/27/19 09:04 PM
Indiana
L
lureintheanimal Offline
trapper
lureintheanimal  Offline
trapper
L

Indiana
I have other signatures of Mr. Nelson. Back in 1946 he sold his lure formulas in units. Unit Number One for The Fox and the Predator Trapper, Unit Number Two for the Water Trapper and Unit Number Three was for the Alpine and Northland Trapper. Wonderful stuff to read through.

Oh YES Mr. Paul I certainly Agree, Bill listed them in different Ads in different formats in newspapers , magazines some local and some States away , some were Units some were other formats , I'll have to look them up .
I just love strolling through the Past Long 'Old Memory Lane , I have a heap of 'Old Relics I can sit in my easy chair till sometimes past mid-night looking through them , and have even fell asleep doing it a few times , lol , I remember when first Frank Conibear came out with his Coni- Bear Killer Traps out of Canada , Good For Our Souls Mr. Paul , Good Medicine , Not being medicine of today . Thank Ya'

Last edited by lureintheanimal; 03/27/19 09:19 PM.

vis vitalis
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91