Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

ATS
(Please support Ted's Fur Shed, our sponsor for the Wilderness Page)

Alaska Trappers Association

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Fisher in Alaska [Re: alaska viking] #6501751
03/26/19 01:26 PM
03/26/19 01:26 PM
sometimes PA sometimes ME
E
ebsurveyor Offline
trapper
ebsurveyor  Offline
trapper
E

Many Many variables where I trap in Northern Maine. Examples 190 inches of snow in 2008, more than 160 inches this winter. The average is slightly less than 100 inches. I have only been there since 2009, but have seen some apparent changes. Most of my observations are from cameras @ bear baits. Ten years ago it was common for bear bait hunters to see marten at the bear baits and our cameras caught many marten at the baits. Now it is fishers. Our hunters see very very few marten & fisher sightings are common. Same for cameras marten sightings were common and now they are not. But, almost every bait will have fisher coming to it. Trapping results are inconclusive as the regulations have drastically chanced during the last ten years. All marten & fisher must be tagged in Maine. In the last ten years Marten catches have been as high as 4047 with 889 last season. The fisher high was 1339 with 593 last season. Again I don't think trapping results tell the whole story. In 2010 I set about 30 traps and caught 13 marten & 2 fishers in five days. Last year I set 40 some traps and caught 5 marten & 5 fishers in about four weeks. I know trappers that were getting 10 or so marten for every fisher as recent as ten years ago. Those same guys are now getting about 2 marten for every fisher.

Re: Fisher in Alaska [Re: Boco] #6501754
03/26/19 01:30 PM
03/26/19 01:30 PM
E
ebsurveyor Offline
trapper
ebsurveyor  Offline
trapper
E

Originally Posted by Boco
Don't know if the book is still available but. [Linked Image]

Now looking for the CD as the book is $280 -$790 on Amazon.

Re: Fisher in Alaska [Re: alaska viking] #6501760
03/26/19 01:41 PM
03/26/19 01:41 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
You can order it from the Federation-OFMF.It is a handy reference.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Fisher in Alaska [Re: Boco] #6501767
03/26/19 01:48 PM
03/26/19 01:48 PM
E
ebsurveyor Offline
trapper
ebsurveyor  Offline
trapper
E

Don't know if the book is still available but. [Linked Image]

Boco, Were can I order the CD? Can you send a link? Thanks

Re: Fisher in Alaska [Re: alaska viking] #6501770
03/26/19 01:52 PM
03/26/19 01:52 PM
Interior Alaska
30/06 Offline
trapper
30/06  Offline
trapper

Interior Alaska
This discussion of the Fisher-Porcupine relationship raises a question in my mind, do Fisher poses any adaptation that increases their resistance to Porcupine quills? Aproximately 1/8 of the Marten we've caught and skun have had a few quills in them, usually laying between the skin and muscle in a Marten's throat/chest area. Their hasn't been any sign of infection or serious injury around the quills. I don't have a huge sample size here, just my casual observation.

Re: Fisher in Alaska [Re: alaska viking] #6501774
03/26/19 01:55 PM
03/26/19 01:55 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Just google Ontario Fur Managers Federation-it should come up.
I don't know how to do those link things.

Last edited by Boco; 03/26/19 01:56 PM.

Re: Fisher in Alaska [Re: Boco] #6501778
03/26/19 01:59 PM
03/26/19 01:59 PM
E
ebsurveyor Offline
trapper
ebsurveyor  Offline
trapper
E

Just google Ontario Fur Managers Federation-it should come up.
I don't know how to do those link things.

Found it. Looks like I can get the CD there.

Re: Fisher in Alaska [Re: alaska viking] #6501827
03/26/19 03:11 PM
03/26/19 03:11 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
white17  Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
W

McGrath, AK
I have both the book and the CD. The book is waaaaaaaaay easier to read than the CD.

Mean As Nails
Re: Fisher in Alaska [Re: alaska viking] #6501839
03/26/19 03:20 PM
03/26/19 03:20 PM
Homer, Alaska, USA
W
Wolverine Hunter Offline
trapper
Wolverine Hunter  Offline
trapper
W

Homer, Alaska, USA
My brother has lived in the center of BC for the last three decades - couple hours west of Prince George. I have visited him quite a bit in all seasons. I could get really excited about trapping Marten there. Lots and lots of marten. I don't think he has fisher, but if he does, they are pretty rare. He has raised beef and has 5,000 acres of "government graze" at his disposal, until more recently. Now, he has given up his cattle herd, but knows those hills as good as anyone. I will have to "pick his brain" a little more next time we talk. He is a hunter, not really a trapper - but always hob-knobbing with local sportsmen. Mostly Aspen and Doug Fir there. Just adding this because I think someone asked about BC earlier. Obviously, if they are coming in, this is where they are coming from. Doubt anything is going to happen too fast, but over the long term, it seems they could definitely expand and adapt. AV you and me are probably too dang old to see that! But I suppose if you are concerned - you and Mad Mike could put up a border and not let em through :-)

Re: Fisher in Alaska [Re: alaska viking] #6502152
03/26/19 09:42 PM
03/26/19 09:42 PM
49th State
M
mad_mike Offline
trapper
mad_mike  Offline
trapper
M

49th State
The only Fisher I have caught, so far, was pretty well loaded up on porcupine quills. Couple in it’s mouth,on its back, but mostly in its chest, and neck. It’s pretty common to see quills in marten and nearly a constant in wolverine. I remember on one large male wolverine I stopped counting after 300 quills. He surely got pierced a few times killing the thing but I found most of the quills in its back. He rolled on the thing for sure. Also I noted that nearly all of the quills were still stiff. I frequently find just the softened black tips of the quill under the skin. I wonder how long they take to be broken down like that? As 30/06 mentioned I have never found any sign of infection in these animals either.
You would think that porcupine would make good bait. I actually haven’t found anything as worthless, despite obviously being a common food source for the mustelid family.

Re: Fisher in Alaska [Re: alaska viking] #6502226
03/26/19 10:49 PM
03/26/19 10:49 PM
49th State
M
mad_mike Offline
trapper
mad_mike  Offline
trapper
M

49th State
This season marked my lowest season total on marten for where I trap. There seem to be a few factors that could play into that. The summer of 2018 was the warmest and driest season on recent record. There was a terrible return of salmon to the rivers and creeks. It seemed to be a fairly poor year for the berry crop. There was an absence of vole, mouse, and shews. And there was Fisher. But, there were plenty of porkies around!

Re: Fisher in Alaska [Re: alaska viking] #6502508
03/27/19 10:22 AM
03/27/19 10:22 AM
Fairbanks, Alaska
Pete in Frbks Offline
trapper
Pete in Frbks  Offline
trapper

Fairbanks, Alaska
As an aside, Tim Hiller at the Wildlife Ecology Institute in Helena, MT has taken on the task of re-writing Wild Furbearer Management and Conservation in North America. The original version developed by the Ontario MNR and OTA as shown by Boco is from 1987 and it is due for a serious update and inclusion of complex contemporary issues.

I have the honor of having been invited to participate in the project. I will be working on writing part of the Trapper Education portion.

I do not recall the exact timeline, but it will be quite a while before the book/CD are out...

Pete

Re: Fisher in Alaska [Re: alaska viking] #6502557
03/27/19 11:40 AM
03/27/19 11:40 AM
juneau, alaska
A
alaska viking Offline OP
"Made it two years not being censored"
alaska viking  Offline OP
A

juneau, alaska
We have few snowshoe hare in the Juneau area, (a few pockets, here and there), but usually abundant small rodents, birds, fish, berries, etc.
Probably why we don't have lynx, (with the rare exception of one or two taken in a 5 year or so period) porcupine are abundant

Last edited by alaska viking; 03/27/19 11:41 AM.

Made it almost 3 years without censor!

Re: Fisher in Alaska [Re: Pete in Frbks] #6502573
03/27/19 12:05 PM
03/27/19 12:05 PM
Yukon
Y
yukon254 Offline
trapper
yukon254  Offline
trapper
Y

Yukon
Originally Posted by Pete in Frbks
As an aside, Tim Hiller at the Wildlife Ecology Institute in Helena, MT has taken on the task of re-writing Wild Furbearer Management and Conservation in North America. The original version developed by the Ontario MNR and OTA as shown by Boco is from 1987 and it is due for a serious update and inclusion of complex contemporary issues.

I have the honor of having been invited to participate in the project. I will be working on writing part of the Trapper Education portion.

I do not recall the exact timeline, but it will be quite a while before the book/CD are out...

Pete

Sounds like Mr Hiller is taking it seriously. The fact that your name will be on the list of contributors will add a great deal of credence to this new version. They couldnt have chosen a more knowledgable trapper. Think I might have mentioned this before Pete, but your name always comes up when trappers start talking about guys who really know their way around the woods even here in Canada. I first heard about you back in the early 80s when I was just getting serious about wolf trapping.

do unto others as you would have them do unto you

www.grizzlycreeklodge.com
Re: Fisher in Alaska [Re: alaska viking] #6502580
03/27/19 12:12 PM
03/27/19 12:12 PM
juneau, alaska
A
alaska viking Offline OP
alaska viking  Offline OP
A

juneau, alaska
Now Pete is stuck in the house for a while! grin

Made it almost 3 years without censor!

Re: Fisher in Alaska [Re: alaska viking] #6502618
03/27/19 12:53 PM
03/27/19 12:53 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
They need to update for the international trapping standards(and bmp's) for sure and add new biological and management information that has been advanced.

Last edited by Boco; 03/27/19 12:55 PM.

Re: Fisher in Alaska [Re: joepennanti] #6502632
03/27/19 01:25 PM
03/27/19 01:25 PM
E
ebsurveyor Offline
trapper
ebsurveyor  Offline
trapper
E

Originally Posted by joepennanti
RossCoak saying that it's all about food, specifically porcupine, I think is simplifying it too much. Having the ability to kill porcupine during the lean winter months I think is the deciding factor in fisher range. Porcupine are not easy to kill without a bullet or a baseball bat. If they're gonna be killed by teeth and claws then they need to be grabbed by the face. Have you ever chased a porcupine and tried to shoot it between the eyes or club it in the face? I have tried many times. I filmed this last year: start the video @ 0:45 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVyjb95FNK4 You see what it does when I try to get to its face? Smart critter it knows how to use that armor.

Now, a fisher is about 100x quicker than my lard (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman), and on the bare forest floor that you see in that video it could kill that big porcupine; but soft snow deeper than fishers' legs is going to slow down a fisher considerably. I seen a porcupine protect itself from two GermanShepards just by keeping its face up against a large tree. And once a porcupine gets up a tree it's game over; a porcupine up a tree has no natural enemies (except for maybe a bear swatting it out of the tree), not even fisher can out-maneuver it up there. Also, porcupine can hole up for weeks during freeze or times of deep snow, and are completely protected when denned up they have no enemies (except bear maybe). I do a lot of tracking in the snow when I can, and even though parts of where I trap have high densities of porcupine I rarely see their tracks, they're holed up.

Most porcupine here in the Catskills are >3,000' elevation, where snow gets >3' deep most winters. Porcupine at that elevation here, in winter, have no natural enemies. They live until they descend into the valley roads to lick up the salt residue left roadside by snowplows, and then get squashed by vehicles and eaten by ravens. Up north in AK and the Canadian provinces, if it weren't for marten and wolverine (and maybe lynx?), I think roadside salt would be a porcupine's worst enemy.

The book pages in Boco's photos reiterate a few things that I mentioned in my 1st post on this thread, but also says that both fisher and marten prey on snowshoe hare. What the pages don't say is that hare with snowshoes can outrun fisher in soft snow. I think those authors were analyzing scat during summer months. And I bet that the fisher scat they found that contained marten fur was during summer too. Next time you guys have a marten and a fisher side by side have a look at the feet. Of course the marten feet are smaller, but pound for pound they are much larger. Marten have "snowshoes" fisher don't. And we see this same difference between short-tailed weasel and long-tailed weasel. ST-weasels are northern animals and their feet, ounce for ounce, are much larger vs the feet of LT-weasels, which are southern animals. Bobcat feet vs Lynx feet, the list goes on and on.

So again, ability to kill in winter, in powdery snow, I think that's what defines the northern boundary of fisher range.

We tend to classify many furbearers as either northern or southern. Gulo northern. LT-weasel southern. But I don't think fisher fit into that simple classification. They're the only mustelid that occupy just the central part of North American continent.

BcTomCat I agree fisher is an opportunistic predator/scavenger that will eat all of those animals on your list, and then some. And I like that you capitalized "CARRION" cause I know that during late winter/early spring here every predator here eats deer that starved or froze to death. (Trappers would see a lot more sign of that but come March they're usually done with land trapping so they don't see it.) Carrion is very, very important. It's most abundant when a lot of predators are on the verge of starving to death and is literally the difference between life and death. And we all seen that everything eats gut piles left by hunters during autumn.

But, most of those animals on BcTomCat's list are safe from fisher in deep, soft snow. Snow handicaps fisher.

Mike the only time I'd recommend porcupine as fisher bait is when non-target animals like coon, possum, skunk are clogging up sets (and I don't think you have many coon, possum, skunk as far north as AK). I'd use 1/4 carcass cut lengthwise with quills facing out.

We have lots of fisher and some marten and very very few porkies + an average of 100 inches of snow each season where I trap. Some times the fisher wins the race:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Too many tracks. It looked like two or three fishers came to the kill.

Last edited by ebsurveyor; 03/27/19 01:26 PM.
Re: Fisher in Alaska [Re: alaska viking] #6502708
03/27/19 03:20 PM
03/27/19 03:20 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Fisher has a pretty big foot,they stay up in the fluffy snow pretty good.More drag than a marten though. [Linked Image]

Re: Fisher in Alaska [Re: joepennanti] #6502986
03/27/19 09:05 PM
03/27/19 09:05 PM
E
ebsurveyor Offline
trapper
ebsurveyor  Offline
trapper
E

Originally Posted by joepennanti
EB where's the 100"?

We see leaves in those tracks; looks like the snow is <1"

Those photos were 2017 first week of November. In 2018 the woods were closed on Nov. 17 for truck travel. Last I knew we were at 160 inches this season.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by ebsurveyor; 03/27/19 09:08 PM.
Re: Fisher in Alaska [Re: alaska viking] #6503034
03/27/19 09:39 PM
03/27/19 09:39 PM
NWT
Ryan McLeod Offline
trapper
Ryan McLeod  Offline
trapper

NWT
I just seen a picture today that was taken above my hometown of aklavik. A coyote. I knew they’d show up eventually. Picture was taken at black mountain. Not a safe place for a coyote with the wolves that are always in that area.

If you take care of the land the land will take care of you
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  akntrpr, Ol' Blister, otterman