ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Squirrel Scenario #6511742
04/06/19 09:51 PM
04/06/19 09:51 PM
Ohio
W
Willy Firewood Offline OP
trapper
Willy Firewood  Offline OP
trapper
W

Ohio
Ok this is a tough situation. Problem started 2 weeks ago. Customer has soffit / fascia chewed open. Squirrels are pushing out bits of insulation. They have seen a squirrel enter and exit. They hear the usual sounds in a kid’s bedroom wall.

This is a fairly new expensive house approximately $400,000.

First option. Has she had the babies yet? Are they in the wall? If they called 2 weeks ago I would have caught the squirrel and hoped she was still pregnant. Now, who knows. I can trap the squirrel, but will it be the correct squirrel? If the babies are in the wall in about a month it will get nasty smelling.

Second option is to let her raise the babies and take them outside. Then set up an excluder and later close up the holes. Then of course there will be urine and feces in the wall.

Either way they will have an environmental issue to address. They will need to remove the drywall and clean.

I could tell the customer it comes down to the lesser of two evils and let them choose.

Does anyone know of a heat sensor that might work? I cannot imagine it would detect a tiny heat source behind drywall.

I have looked at a Milwaukee fiber optic cable camera, but that has a 3 foot cable and would require drilling many holes.

On a low tech level, I listened with a stethoscope and did not hear anything.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

FRAC LIVES MATTER
Re: Squirrel Scenario [Re: Willy Firewood] #6511848
04/07/19 12:30 AM
04/07/19 12:30 AM
Saucier, Mississippi Harrison ...
T
turkn8rtrapper Online content
trapper
turkn8rtrapper  Online Content
trapper
T

Saucier, Mississippi Harrison ...
I'm not an ADC guy but I play one on T V. Sorry couldn't pass that one up. I am Not an ADC guy but I am an HVAC contractor. I have a FLIR thermal imager and I promise it will show the heat signature through the dry wall. A lot of HVAC and electrical folks use imager. See if one will let you borrow one or come take a look for you. I wouldn't fork out the $$ for one just to use a couple of times. In my case it paid for it's self the first time I used it. I have a hand held FLIR monocular that I use hunting and am gonna use it to find critters in drags. the one I use for work is awesome but doesn't have the range of the other one.

"Skin that smokewagon and see what happens"
Re: Squirrel Scenario [Re: Willy Firewood] #6512277
04/07/19 02:31 PM
04/07/19 02:31 PM
Schenectady, NY
E
EatenByLimestone Offline
trapper
EatenByLimestone  Offline
trapper
E

Schenectady, NY
I think some Home Depos rent FLIRs. There are also runs that attach to your phone for around $300 IIRC.

Re: Squirrel Scenario [Re: Willy Firewood] #6513180
04/08/19 04:12 PM
04/08/19 04:12 PM
Ohio
W
Willy Firewood Offline OP
trapper
Willy Firewood  Offline OP
trapper
W

Ohio
Thank you for the suggestions. I will look into a rental.

FRAC LIVES MATTER
Re: Squirrel Scenario [Re: Willy Firewood] #6519244
04/15/19 10:46 PM
04/15/19 10:46 PM
Monroeville NJ
J
Jonesie Offline
trapper
Jonesie  Offline
trapper
J

Monroeville NJ
Go listen to my 6 phases of the grey squirrel.

Ron Jones
http://www.acpwildlifepro.net/
Rednecks Pride Game Calls / Outdoor Scents
Rednecks Pride Outdoors podcast
Friend me on FaceBook
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread