Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

ATS
(Please support Ted's Fur Shed, our sponsor for the Wilderness Page)

Alaska Trappers Association

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Fall Bear Fat, and rendering questions... [Re: Thurman] #6514368
04/10/19 02:35 AM
04/10/19 02:35 AM
Tanana, Alaska
S
Stan Z Offline
trapper
Stan Z  Offline
trapper
S

Tanana, Alaska
hey Stan Just wanted to say I read your book and it is amazing. Makes my wife and I jealous that I missed those times. What is your recipe for bear bacon if you dont mind sharing?[/quote]

I had two big boxes (about 4'x2'x18" deep) of rough cut boards that did not fit together well so the juices of the meat would drain out of the box easily. Bear meat that was mostly or all fat went for bacon and lesser fat pieces went for hams - all made the same though and mixed together. Pieces were cut about softball size to gallon jug size. A mixture of say 3/4 salt and 1/4 sugar was spread on bottom of box and around each piece of meat thoroughly to fill the first layer of meat in bottom. Then a layer of salt/sugar and another layer of salted/sugar meat and so on till box was almost full. The boxes were filled down in my root cellar which was 32 to 34 degrees all the time. A wooden cover that fit inside the perimeter of the box top and acted as a press was placed over the meat and heavy rocks placed on top flattening the meat over time and pressing out some juices which leaked out the ill fitted boards on side and bottom. After 10 days the meat and box layers were all salted again and bottom meat put on top and left another 10 days. If meat was not completely fresh I would do two 7 day periods instead of two 10 day ones but mine was always fresh. After that second 10 day stretch the meat all came out and strings etc. were tied around meat and then hung in air and smoked till a dry coat was put on meat. (Couple of days). Nights were freezing by then and meat would keep because of salt and cold. Often meat was soaked for a night before being cooked next day in water to remove some salt. Tasted surprisingly just like store hams and bacon. Never did a black bear but sure it would be good just not that great flavorful grizzly fish taste crazy . A bear or so meant it would be a fat winter over a no bear winter.

Re: Fall Bear Fat, and rendering questions... [Re: Hupurest] #6515044
04/10/19 08:43 PM
04/10/19 08:43 PM
E central Il
G
Golf ball Offline
trapper
Golf ball  Offline
trapper
G

E central Il
Thanks for the reply Stan , I think it’s awsome that you like grizzly meat for the same reason most folks don’t . I’ve known others that liked mergansers but have yet to run across anyone who likes eating coot, lol , to each his own !

Re: Fall Bear Fat, and rendering questions... [Re: Hupurest] #6515125
04/10/19 10:05 PM
04/10/19 10:05 PM
juneau, alaska
A
alaska viking Offline
"Made it two years not being censored"
alaska viking  Offline
"Made it two years not being censored"
A

juneau, alaska
Merganser has to be the fowlest thing taking oxygen.

Made it almost 3 years without censor!

Re: Fall Bear Fat, and rendering questions... [Re: Hupurest] #6515234
04/11/19 01:10 AM
04/11/19 01:10 AM
ak
nooksack Offline
trapper
nooksack  Offline
trapper

ak
AV, when I was 15 i shot a cormorant, and would have to say of fowl that has to be the fishiest. Rank enough that it stayed where it layed and I never shot another. Mergatroids don’t hold a candle. 😁

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  akntrpr, Ol' Blister, otterman