Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Chainsaw to dig dirt hole #6531467
05/04/19 05:55 PM
05/04/19 05:55 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline OP
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Offline OP
Y

Marion Kansas
Dont know how to post link but I came across "Bristol drill chainsaw attachment ". Since I already have a saw and I'm betting it would have plenty of power and no batteries to go dead I was thinking maybe it would work for running an earth auger. What's your guys thoughts.

Re: Chainsaw to dig dirt hole [Re: Yes sir] #6531474
05/04/19 06:15 PM
05/04/19 06:15 PM
Nebraska
WadeRyan Offline
trapper
WadeRyan  Offline
trapper

Nebraska
Originally Posted by Yes sir
Dont know how to post link but I came across "Bristol drill chainsaw attachment ". Since I already have a saw and I'm betting it would have plenty of power and no batteries to go dead I was thinking maybe it would work for running an earth auger. What's your guys thoughts.

Personally, I tend to set too many traps to consider hauling a chainsaw around every set. I'm sure it would dig a mean hole. If you were only setting a dozen or so why not. Whatever makes it easier for you. I really do like the holes a drill and an auger make. When I get right down to it I often find myself just smacking the ground with a punch.

Follow me on YouTube if you’re bored

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Ulx1woYMmCN3IPLB0wwFw

Re: Chainsaw to dig dirt hole [Re: Yes sir] #6531481
05/04/19 06:28 PM
05/04/19 06:28 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline OP
Yes sir  Offline OP
Y

Marion Kansas
I can drive to each set I make either with ranger or pickup so weight and space isn't an issue. Just thinking about speeding the process up some and maybe making a bigger deeper hole than what I have been doing.

Re: Chainsaw to dig dirt hole [Re: Yes sir] #6531583
05/04/19 09:27 PM
05/04/19 09:27 PM
alabama
steeltraps Offline
trapper
steeltraps  Offline
trapper

alabama
I have a BT 45 earth auger. I can make a 18 to 20 inch deep dirt hole in a matter of seconds. With 4 inch earth auger bit

Re: Chainsaw to dig dirt hole [Re: Yes sir] #6531592
05/04/19 09:35 PM
05/04/19 09:35 PM
Pa
W
Wright Brothers Offline
trapper
Wright Brothers  Offline
trapper
W

Pa
"What's your guys thoughts."

Mine. Everything in the back of the truck is going to smell like chainsaw, if that matters.
Do you have other uses in mind?
What is the cost?

Re: Chainsaw to dig dirt hole [Re: Wright Brothers] #6531669
05/04/19 10:59 PM
05/04/19 10:59 PM
Lyndon, Kansas
Railroader Offline
trapper
Railroader  Offline
trapper

Lyndon, Kansas
Originally Posted by Wright Brothers

Mine. Everything in the back of the truck is going to smell like chainsaw, if that matters.
What is the cost?

Agree that everything would probably smell like oil and fuel in the truck. Also would probably get bar oil and/or fuel on the ground at sets as well. That coupled with the extra weight to lug around...not for me

Re: Chainsaw to dig dirt hole [Re: steeltraps] #6531694
05/04/19 11:38 PM
05/04/19 11:38 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline OP
Yes sir  Offline OP
Y

Marion Kansas

What is the cost?

About $160. It would be handy for a couple other uses but not necessary
Originally Posted by Railroader

What is the cost?

Agree that everything would probably smell like oil and fuel in the truck. Also would probably get bar oil and/or fuel on the ground at sets as well. That coupled with the extra weight to lug around...not for me

Dont think you need to run bar oil with adapter so was think I maybe could flush oil reservoir out so I didn't get oil everywhere. Watch a trapping video were a guy ran a gas powered auger and was knocking down hundreds of coyotes in only a handful of weeks only making dirt holes with gas auger. So I was assuming running a engine while making a set didn't scare coyotes off. Extra weight doesn't both me. I'd only be going 10 steps and I've spend 8 hr days running chain saw and didn't think it was as bad as 8 hrs off punching 2" dirt holes. Didn't know if keeping odor of saw off equipment would be any more difficult than keeping lure odors and blood from catches off equipment.
Originally Posted by steeltraps
I have a BT 45 earth auger. I can make a 18 to 20 inch deep dirt hole in a matter of seconds. With 4 inch earth auger bit

That's what I'm looking for. A matter of seconds sounds better than pounding in punches for dirt holes if its feasible.

Re: Chainsaw to dig dirt hole [Re: Yes sir] #6531710
05/05/19 01:07 AM
05/05/19 01:07 AM
MN, USA
star flakes Offline
trapper
star flakes  Offline
trapper

MN, USA
I could see attempting this if you drilled all these holes one day, went home, showered, changed clothes and then went back and reset. Otherwise you will smell like mowing lawn or running a chainsaw, as that is what oil and gas fuel imparts.

I have an electric ice auger and post hole digger, which runs off a vehicle 12 vote battery. It is fast, BUT if I hit a rock, even a small one, it will stop the auger and start spinning the top in my hands. Straight up it hooks me so it gets my attention, at an angle for dirt holes it really tests your joints as this is a big auger.

To reason this out, you can purchase an electric drill, auger and back up battery, keep the batteries inside, for what you are thinking. If you look on Youtube, you can see them being used, and trappers punching in 3 holes in a triangle to get visual size.

Whatever you decide, I still would do the prelim work before the ground was frozen and cover the holes.

Re: Chainsaw to dig dirt hole [Re: Yes sir] #6532295
05/06/19 04:29 AM
05/06/19 04:29 AM
Nebraska
WadeRyan Offline
trapper
WadeRyan  Offline
trapper

Nebraska
Originally Posted by Yes sir
I can drive to each set I make either with ranger or pickup so weight and space isn't an issue. Just thinking about speeding the process up some and maybe making a bigger deeper hole than what I have been doing.

Understand I'm the same way drive right up to most sets weather pending. If you watched Combines and Coyotes I believe he is using the BT-45 eluded to earlier in this post. You can do most of the same things with a hammer drill and an auger. If I am going to be running a long line I will actually go out and dig my dirt holes a week or two early before the ground freezes up. Contrary to popular belief even though they've walked by that hole already when you throw some bait down it and a little urine they still can't resist it. You could easily go out and do pre-work and any smell would be dissipated by that time. When I take vacation I like to set all my traps in one day. They don't do any good in the back of the truck. Some guys talk about setting 12-24 a day and they're beat. If you've got the holes ready I can set 100 before the sun sets without feeling too bad the next day.

Follow me on YouTube if you’re bored

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Ulx1woYMmCN3IPLB0wwFw

Re: Chainsaw to dig dirt hole [Re: Yes sir] #6533897
05/08/19 02:46 PM
05/08/19 02:46 PM
Rochester, MN
Teacher Offline
trapper
Teacher  Offline
trapper

Rochester, MN
I bought a 20 volt Rigid cordless drill a couple years ago. Yes, it’s much better than hand digging 18-24 inch holes in tight soils. If I go too deep and it binds on something, it gets my attention by twisting me instead of the auger bit. But I can punch in sets much faster with this augering system than I can with a trowel or shovel. The 4 amp batteries keep me going all day and I’m not nearly as tired as I was digging dirt holes.

Never too old to learn
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91