Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

ATS
(Please support Ted's Fur Shed, our sponsor for the Wilderness Page)

Alaska Trappers Association

Print Thread
Hop To
snowmobile #6538668
05/16/19 01:41 PM
05/16/19 01:41 PM
Deer lodge, MT
D
Dean Chapel Offline OP
trapper
Dean Chapel  Offline OP
trapper
D

Deer lodge, MT
How much better is a skandic or tundra that just a regular skidoo for trapping. Finding a used skandic or tundra is almost impossible here, but you can pick up other snowmobiles for 2-3K . Is it worth waiting for the workhorses? Never would buy new, so that option is out.

Re: snowmobile [Re: Dean Chapel] #6538700
05/16/19 02:34 PM
05/16/19 02:34 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
white17  Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
W

McGrath, AK
Not sure what you mean by a "regular Skidoo" . If you mean a short track, there is absolutely no comparison. ...IMO.

Depending on what you want to do with it and your snow conditions, you might get by with a 'regular' machine. But they will not do what a Tundra or Skandic will do, with a lot less effort and hassle

Mean As Nails
Re: snowmobile [Re: Dean Chapel] #6538721
05/16/19 03:09 PM
05/16/19 03:09 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Depends on your snow conditions,and type of trapping.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: snowmobile [Re: Dean Chapel] #6539374
05/17/19 07:28 PM
05/17/19 07:28 PM
AK
bfisch Offline
trapper
bfisch  Offline
trapper

AK
Mountains or open country? I have a newer skandic and like it for pulling and gas efficiency. I can easily pull a 1/3 cord of wood on a packed trail. The wide track stays afloat fairly well with the skins it is better. The main down side I have found it that it is a little tippy and will dive every once in awhile. A friend has a tundra and I used to have one. I think if you are not pulling heavy loads you can easily get away with the lighter less expensive tundra.

Re: snowmobile [Re: Dean Chapel] #6542136
05/22/19 01:22 PM
05/22/19 01:22 PM
Deer lodge, MT
D
Dean Chapel Offline OP
trapper
Dean Chapel  Offline OP
trapper
D

Deer lodge, MT
All trapping here is in the mountains- mostly very fluffy and powdered snow. I was thinking with all the advancements in snow machines that can go almost anywhere nowadays that just about any snow machine would be fine, Where is the advantage to the tundra/skandic machines? At low throttle or what? Only an issue if pulling a load??

Re: snowmobile [Re: Dean Chapel] #6542563
05/23/19 09:15 AM
05/23/19 09:15 AM
On Georgian Bay, Ontario Canad...
H
Hutchy Offline
trapper
Hutchy  Offline
trapper
H

On Georgian Bay, Ontario Canad...
I opt for 153" of track. Just about anything less is an exercise in frustration in the conditions you refer to. For me with constant open creek crossings and water the flotation of my sled makes that kind of stuff a non issue. Ask the poor souls who decide to follow my tracks what they think of short track sleds. Looks like a war zone when they get stuck from all the shenanagins of getting unstuck. While just about any newer sled is granted better than the older stuff, a purpose built off trail tled with lots of flotation is King.

Re: snowmobile [Re: Dean Chapel] #6542619
05/23/19 11:19 AM
05/23/19 11:19 AM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
Originally Posted by Dean Chapel
How much better is a skandic or tundra that just a regular skidoo for trapping. Finding a used skandic or tundra is almost impossible here, but you can pick up other snowmobiles for 2-3K . Is it worth waiting for the workhorses? Never would buy new, so that option is out.

Alright, I'm biting. I probably shouldn't.

Yamaha, Ski doo, and Arctic cat and Polaris all make or made work machines.

The work machines come with longer/ and or wider tracks than a short track. Many go-fasters come with long tracks generally with longer lugs.

Work machines have the following:

1.Back racks for carrying stuff.

2.A hitch for pulling stuff.

3. A large windshield that actually blocks wind

4. A large seat with under seat storage, ( or the ability to make your own), not a motorcycle seat.

5. Some are actually built a little tougher than your average go faster.

6. The better work machines come with a metal brush guard/bumper.

Newer stuff being better is an opinion not a fact. Comfort; they tend to be better, mileage tends to be better, other things not so much.

You could use a mountain machine to climb those mountains, however you tend to leave a trench which makes that route hazardous to run again. If you are pulling a sled, I would modify your mud flap to block all that slush and snow you will fill that sled with.

Good luck!

Last edited by Dirt; 05/23/19 11:33 AM.

Who is John Galt?
Re: snowmobile [Re: Dean Chapel] #6548367
06/02/19 08:34 PM
06/02/19 08:34 PM
Deer lodge, MT
D
Dean Chapel Offline OP
trapper
Dean Chapel  Offline OP
trapper
D

Deer lodge, MT
In response to "who is John Galt", I know the answer- He's a general surgeon who works at St Peter's hospital in Helena MT. Both of his brothers own ranches, and refer to John as the one who really didn't make much of himself.

Re: snowmobile [Re: Dean Chapel] #6548376
06/02/19 08:48 PM
06/02/19 08:48 PM
Kelowna BC Canada
trapper ron Offline
trapper
trapper ron  Offline
trapper

Kelowna BC Canada
Scandics and Tundras are sold as work machines. The fact they are rare as used should answer your questions. Trappers tend to run them, modify them and repair them until they go behind the shed for spare parts. For trapping my advice is to stay with the utility sleds as described above by Dirt.

Member BCTA
Trapping Instructor

"It's what you learn after you know it all that really counts."
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  akntrpr, Ol' Blister, otterman