Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Wild canines #6539256
05/17/19 03:28 PM
05/17/19 03:28 PM
South West Alabama
O
Ole Farte Offline OP
trapper
Ole Farte  Offline OP
trapper
O

South West Alabama
First post, have been reading for years. Not very muter savy.
I do Predator Control work in south west Alabama. The last few years I am running into a good many Wild canines (dogs), and was wondering if others on here had the same situation. Thanks

Re: Wild canines [Re: Ole Farte] #6539523
05/17/19 10:24 PM
05/17/19 10:24 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Y

Marion Kansas
We dont have much of a problem with them around thank goodness but I dislike wild dogs and would be happy to trap them if we had problems with them.
Welcome to the circus here at trapperman.

Re: Wild canines [Re: Ole Farte] #6539539
05/17/19 11:09 PM
05/17/19 11:09 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Yes. Trapped a place in February that the landowner swore he had a coyote problem. He didn’t, he had a wild dog problem. If he had owned up to it I could have caught them all in a day or two. Once I started catching some he finally showed trail cam picks of packs of them all in his trough feeders. There was a pack of 7 that got reduced to a pack of one. And another pack of 5 that became a pack of 2. After that no pics whatsoever of any for the next 2 weeks.
If you have them, just gang set a location. Once one was caught the entire pack would hang around. I’d rather release coyotes than those things. They make bobcats look like kittens!

Re: Wild canines [Re: Ole Farte] #6539590
05/18/19 02:18 AM
05/18/19 02:18 AM
Nebraska
WadeRyan Offline
trapper
WadeRyan  Offline
trapper

Nebraska
Every once in a while we have a pack of wild dogs that have been dumped group up.. You will hear about them running together until they start chasing cattle. Then they disappear rather quickly.

Follow me on YouTube if you’re bored

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Ulx1woYMmCN3IPLB0wwFw

Re: Wild canines [Re: Ole Farte] #6539633
05/18/19 06:39 AM
05/18/19 06:39 AM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
I get more angry at people that dump them than the animals themselves. People seem to think they’ll survive, and in a pack they can, but individually they won’t. Caught one once that I couldn’t even make out the breed. Ticks covered the animal, even inside the lips.
I’m just thankful feral cats don’t run in packs. There wouldn’t be a quail, chick, or poult alive if they did.

Re: Wild canines [Re: Ole Farte] #6539675
05/18/19 08:26 AM
05/18/19 08:26 AM
Winter Springs, Florida
D
Davexx1 Offline
trapper
Davexx1  Offline
trapper
D

Winter Springs, Florida
I have seen a lot of "dog" problems over the years especially during fawning season. The offenders were not true wild dogs, but were the nearby neighborhood free ranging yard dogs of many breeds that grouped together at night to hunt and ravage the woods all night long. They seem to hunt/run/kill for fun because the fawns that were caught and killed were not eaten, just ripped to pieces and left. Trying to deal with the owners of the free ranging dogs is usually a disappointing and sometimes threatening experience so use much discretion when dealing with these kinds of issues.

Re: Wild canines [Re: Ole Farte] #6539742
05/18/19 10:42 AM
05/18/19 10:42 AM
West Central MN
20scout Offline
trapper
20scout  Offline
trapper

West Central MN
We had a problem with a pack of local domestic dogs killing youngstock. Dog owners would let them roam free around town while they where at work. Dogs would pack up and head out of town to cause mischief at some of the local farms and be back home by the time the owner returned. One of the local farmers figured out what was going on and called the sheriff about it. Since there was no practical way of finding out who's dog these where, the farmers where given the green light to deal with the situation. Local dog owners said it couldn't possibly be their well behaved family pet, that is until they got a call from the sheriff asking if they wanted to claim the remains and pay for damages. Sometimes the dog was 6-8 miles from home. Since then, local dog owners have decided to do what it takes to keep Fido at home like they should have in the first place.

Common sense is a not a vegetable that does well in everyone's garden.
Re: Wild canines [Re: Ole Farte] #6540065
05/18/19 10:41 PM
05/18/19 10:41 PM
Frazee, MN
B
backroadsarcher Offline
trapper
backroadsarcher  Offline
trapper
B

Frazee, MN
Years ago when I was young we had an issue with dogs here. A landowner a few miles from here had upwards of 40 dogs and they roamed freely. That was a big problem in the area. Dogs can do more damage then coyotes hands down. It took a while but the problem was fixed.

Re: Wild canines [Re: Ole Farte] #6540079
05/18/19 10:58 PM
05/18/19 10:58 PM
Fontana KS
A
Andrew Eastwood Offline
trapper
Andrew Eastwood  Offline
trapper
A

Fontana KS
It don't happen often anymore, but I live on a dead end road and I swear that sign said dump your dogs here 20 years ago. Now we mostly run into free roaming owned dogs. One dog is usually good, two well mannered dogs can be OK, but more than two dogs will cause problems even if the owners think they stay on the porch all the time.
I have found the biggest percentage of coyote depredation calls I have gotten are actually dogs doing the killin, but the yotes are seen cleaning up the mess. I love dogs and own several, but they need to be taken care of and not allowed to run freely to cause problems.

Re: Wild canines [Re: Ole Farte] #6540174
05/19/19 07:40 AM
05/19/19 07:40 AM
Western Illinois
#
#11 Offline
trapper
#11  Offline
trapper
#

Western Illinois
I live in farm country, people still raise cattle, sheep and goats as part or all of their income. We have had domestic dog problems over the years. Now this neighborhood deals with the problem w just two rules.

1. YOUR dog is YOUR responsibility. Take care of it, know where it is and what it is up to. If a neighbor tells you your dog is up to no good, DEAL WITH IT, you probably won't get a second courtesy call. If rule #1 fails, see rule #2.

2. SSS

Not many problems anymore.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91